test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The unknowable one... a laugh ?.

So.. we start the whole story by assisting Dr Ka and we're suddenly facing someone who's working behind
the curtains, a main villain that we're yet to encounter. We then see "someone" looking at Dr Ka while
nuking him with magic attack...

Fast Forward - We're at the end of our series mission and suddenly our "unknowable one" , the great evil,
the mystery behind the events is... A FISH !?.

Did someone just drop the development of the ending for the series mission?, because i'm pretty sure
that it wasn't planned that the main antagonist behind all this, was suppose to be a fish.

:o

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Pretty sure a lot of people including myself were severally disappointed with final conclusion of this story series and the BOSS! Was expecting with all this build up the boss to be an Eldritch Monstrosity like Bleak Harbinger

It's pretty lame that they just took Megalodon's model, applied a Transparent aura and just called it UNKNOWABLE one
    are you serious? If you wanted Megalodon a Boss battle, make an actual Megalodon Cosmic fight!
    What's next? Hyping the next series boss only for it to end on a Rampage while fighting Grond with a Purple aura and a different name? Instead of making Grond into an actual cosmic?

3 YEARS FOR THIS! 👏 We could have got 2 Powerframe revamps which would benefit the game's core mechanics more

Another thing I'm curious, Do people even actively farm for the UNKNOWABLE Rampage? I have limited my playtime dramatically and I don't follow what the Endgame community even does anymore! Kinda wasted work on the series if nobody does it now 🤔

I want to unlock the Salamander Head to make a frog character, but every time I'm actively looking for it, nobody has it for sale and nobody is farming that rampage :skull:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    avianos wrote: »
    Another thing I'm curious, Do people even actively farm for the UNKNOWABLE Rampage? I have limited my playtime dramatically and I don't follow what the Endgame community even does anymore! Kinda wasted work on the series if nobody does it now 🤔

People seem to do it somewhat. I did 2-3 today.

It is a funny thing. I've done the first 2 sets of Ladyhawke missions many time for the SCR and Q, but I never feel like they are leading to the Fish Fight. In my mind there is no real connection between the two. This is probably for 3 reasons:

1. Because one of the missions in between (that is abbrebiated to a slur on our Italian friends) is hardly ever done because it's team content (which no other mission in the 3 series up to this point requires) and most people who wanted the costume pieces have already got them now.

2. The Fish Fight is on the Rampage rotation so you can't just finish the other 3rd series missions and do then move immediately to that fight, whereas you can finish the first 2 series in about an hour, start to finish for both.

3. There is no requirement to hop in the Fish queue. I.e. you don't have to finish the other missions in the series in order to do the last fight, which is unlike the other 2 series which have strict progressions.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    It wasn't good.

I had typed a whole lot of stuff and decided to go a different route. Here are my problems:

1) More magic junk.
    It's not just that magic was involved, it was that we are fighting wizards and wizardesses, not just villains that are rooted in magical origins.

2) They introduce a villain from Champions PnP lore (YAY!) but tell us little to nothing about him (BOO!).
    He came along after my time, but I'll never complain about them adding more characters from lore. I do wish it had been a different character, though.

3) They still haven't cleaned up the pathing. Not nearly enough.
    A player shouldn't have to guess where to go to get the next mission. I was, in chapter 3, held up on the mision you get in the hospital and the mission leading up to the rampage. This is in addition to the problems encountered earlier.

4) Needing to complete War on Peace is bad.
    People don't run it. The appeal/rewards just aren't there.
    People were running DRAs and I joined in that, and after each one asked if anyone wanted to do War on peace. Eventualyl someone said that after the DRAs were done they would help, and so after all the destroids in every instance of MC were defeated a number of people went over and helped me get it done, but I don't ever see myself repeating that mission.

5) The climax is anti-climactic.
    We fight a giant shark? Really?

=============

This could have been so much better, but it felt like they tried to recycle existing content in order to make it "bigger", but it fell flat.

Inserting the open mission is bad. It's short-sighted. Sure a lot of people might be happy to jump in right now, but what happens in a month? Two months? Six months? The people that did it are done and the people that are late to the party are going to spend a lot of time just waiting for a lucky break before they can continue the story.

And the rampage is little better. You end up being unable to finish the mission until the right time comes along and the enemy itself is hardly interesting.

Zorran, for all the issues I have with too much magic stuff in the game at the expense of more "classic" comic book elements, I would much rather learn more about and have a climactic battle against him than fight a giant shark.

But hey, I have yet to finish up because, you know, I got lost on the way during the serial and Unknown isn't available right now.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited December 2021

2) They introduce a villain from Champions PnP lore (YAY!) but tell us little to nothing about him (BOO!).
    He came along after my time, but I'll never complain about them adding more characters from lore. I do wish it had been a different character, though.

Zorran is a pretty decent supervillain concept, with some elements to his background that would be interesting to insert into the Lemurian civil war, maybe finally tying up that dangling story line. If anyone's curious you can read more about Zorran on this forum thread, and more about Lemurian culture as relevant to Zorran on this one.

But yeah, more magic. :'(
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Just my two cents also here, King Arvad as we meet him begs us for the Bronze King to be stopped, but in this serial he is an arrogant prick. Retcon at its finest without context.
    Per the PnP books, Arvad asking for help for his Lemurian subjects and actually meaning it would have been the retcon. "Arrogant prick" is among the least of Arvad's many character flaws, and that's been the case for millennia. OTOH it would have been entirely within character for him to ask heroes for help solely because that would benefit him, only to stab them in the back when he doesn't need them anymore. His fellow Empyreans don't call him "Arvad the Betrayer" for nothing.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    True on that, just my point kinda was how he is basically two different people in those two different scenarios. It feels off simply to change him like that for only a one sentence appearance. On top of, the series seems not gotten us anywhere at all or added anything to the game and lore.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    diggot wrote: »
    So.. we start the whole story by assisting Dr Ka and we're suddenly facing someone who's working behind
    the curtains, a main villain that we're yet to encounter. We then see "someone" looking at Dr Ka while
    nuking him with magic attack...

Fast Forward - We're at the end of our series mission and suddenly our "unknowable one" , the great evil,
    the mystery behind the events is... A FISH !?.

Did someone just drop the development of the ending for the series mission?, because i'm pretty sure
    that it wasn't planned that the main antagonist behind all this, was suppose to be a fish.

:o

Actually, I do think they started with wanting to use the Negalodon asset and built the storyline around it. A Cthulhu-esque elder god would have been fun but I'm sure building that instead of utilizing Negalodon would have blown the project time out even more.

Personally, I'm glad they gave the shark the ghost aura. For me, the original Negalodon was a little too Flintstones with teeth and the new look mutes that a bit. Overall, I'm happy with the implementation. I like all of the extra goodies (devices and auras) the missions drop as well as a ton of SCR. I'm also really happy they incorporated Lemuria and undersea costume pieces into the series.

Actually, I do think they started with wanting to use the Negalodon asset and built the storyline around it. A Cthulhu-esque elder god would have been fun but I'm sure building that instead of utilizing Negalodon would have blown the project time out even more.

It'll probably be years before we see the Lemurian Invasion reworked, so they could have used the Harbinger instead of the fish. Definitely more Cthulu-esque.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

It'll probably be years before we see the Lemurian Invasion reworked, so they could have used the Harbinger instead of the fish. Definitely more Cthulu-esque.

Since, I think, they wanted to use Negalodon it would have somewhat defeated the purpose. I love the Harbinger, it's one of the most impressive bosses for me. If the shark feels anticlimactic, I wonder if they could have introduced Negalodon as a boss level minion of the Harbinger and made the story arc as a lead in to a revamped Lemurian Invasion with the Harbinger as the final Big Bad.
  • omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    I think Megalodon fits as the Unknowable one. Makes perfect sense as a primal fear of the Lemurians.

My main irk is the difficulty of the battle and, for me at least, that the unknowable one is not bigger. It should be huge!

Or better yet, the battle should have taken place inside it. Fighting to its heart or somesuch for a final showdown.
    Aside from those two points the serial is overall not bad. Just a bit confusing at it occasionally tries to yank you around out of sequence. Hence my progression notes over in the other thread on this.

Due to timing or whatever for me I have so far only been able to successfully finish Unknowable on 3 alts. It fails alot or more often just no one queing when I am.

For me there is the added problem that for some reason I can not see the reflect aura on the shark and end up down due to it often. But I have that problem with a rare few player auras too. They simply do not appear. Weird.
    omega2764 wrote: »
    I think Megalodon fits as the Unknowable one. Makes perfect sense as a primal fear of the Lemurians.

I see your point, but the Lemurians didn't start out as an aquatic race. Lemuria being underwater was the result of a catastrophic accident millennia ago. The humanoid-looking Lemurians aren't even water-breathers like the Atlanteans. Since it was Cryptic Studios' decision to explicitly connect their ancient gods, the Bleak Ones, with the Kings of Edom, something more "Lovecraftian" in appearance would have been more logical.

BTW I compiled descriptions of various Edomites and other creatures from Qliphothic dimensions (there are many of them) onto a forum thread, if anyone's interested in what the PnP lore says about their range of appearances: A Qliphothic Bestiary.
    I know the majority of players are sick of Magic-related content, I don't mind them, this series also started as a Detective theme story too just to keep it mind!
    Just wishing they could finally release the other 2 Melee-weapon magic auras they had on PTS but never made it live :tired_face: the Krackle weapon aura is legit better than the freebie you get from completing the mission

Can't help but think what would be a good ingame faction for new Technology based adventure... just please NOT VIPERS AGAIN, i'm sick of Vipers after keep leveling new characters via missions the past 8 years! They are EVERYWHERE already!
    Thinking about it, Cybermind + Cyberlord and Mechanon were the last Technology focus story lines with got with the previous DEV team

Also something to bring up, there was suppoced to be a Final part to wrap up the entire storyline and use Zorran. To quote something I wrote on May 2021 (wow it's been a WHILE ha?)
    As for ZORRAN, they said during the Kaiju DEV CC that they are planning a last additional content to wrap up his story!
    Now that would be either an Alert or additional story mission! We have to wait and see
    Now what happed to this Idea, I don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still really hate with Passion the Recycled Megalodon, It's lazy and anti-climatic!
    But I really like Zorran's design! The problem is, there is barely any Zorran instory around because he appears on the LAST bit for only 3 missions even with the plot-twist in mind

My favourite part of the story was before Zorran leave from the TV-studio, he used his magic to transform the Studio's cameras into Mechanical-Rock Golems! I REALLY liked that detail and I wish the series had more of those enviromental details!

But I have many criticisms about how obnoxious the mission locations are, during the one where you need to travel to Lemuria Temple, there should have been an option for Dr. Ka to TELEPORT you there with Magic instead of having to swim all the way there at the edge of the map! also should there be an option for him to Teleport you back in MC!
    It is a funny thing. I've done the first 2 sets of Ladyhawke missions many time for the SCR and Q, but I never feel like they are leading to the Fish Fight. In my mind there is no real connection between the two. This is probably for 3 reasons:

1. Because one of the missions in between (that is abbrebiated to a slur on our Italian friends) is hardly ever done because it's team content (which no other mission in the 3 series up to this point requires) and most people who wanted the costume pieces have already got them now.
    I'm aware that people were farming War on Peace nonstop for XP and speedrunning leveling up!
    I guess that stopped after Devs NUKED it and put a hard Diminishing returns on XP from open missions after a number of runs didn't help the OM very much 🤔

I dunno, I already got the Reptilian Head I wanted and the Bubble Aura on characters i wanted it in, I have no reason to do it again

Doesn't help that the Mission is on the FREAKING EDGE OF THE MAP!​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    bulgarex wrote: »
    BTW I compiled descriptions of various Edomites and other creatures from Qliphothic dimensions (there are many of them) onto a forum thread, if anyone's interested in what the PnP lore says about their range of appearances: A Qliphothic Bestiary.

Something that I've wondered about since I first saw these guys is why they are called Kings of Edom and why are they Edomites at all? Why not Moabites, or Ammonites, or Amalekites (lots of -ites to pick from; my persoanl favorites are the Girgashites). Is there lore about where this name comes from in the Champions universe?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    Can't help but think what would be a good ingame faction for new Technology based adventure... just please NOT VIPERS AGAIN, i'm sick of Vipers after keep leveling new characters via missions the past 8 years! They are EVERYWHERE already!
    Thinking about it, Cybermind + Cyberlord and Mechanon were the last Technology focus story lines with got with the previous DEV team​​
    Gadroon, Qularr, Teleios and Argent are the technology focused factions I can think of that are already in the game you haven't mentioned. Granted, Teleios is more wetware than hardware, but he is involved in the Onslaught content (not that we got much story for that beyond his revamped lair). The Qularr also focus on biotech, so if you want to smash some chrome that leaves us with Viper, Argent, Gadroon and the various robots.

The remaining major factions are from my recollection either psychic or magic focused.
    Thinking about it, Cybermind + Cyberlord and Mechanon were the last Technology focus story lines with got with the previous DEV team​​
    Gadroon, Qularr, Teleios and Argent are the technology focused factions I can think of that are already in the game you haven't mentioned. Granted, Teleios is more wetware than hardware, but he is involved in the Onslaught content (not that we got much story for that beyond his revamped lair). The Qularr also focus on biotech, so if you want to smash some chrome that leaves us with Viper, Argent, Gadroon and the various robots.

The remaining major factions are from my recollection either psychic or magic focused.

I often wish there were some reason to visit westside again after lvl 15 (other than events, citizen missions, and Ladyhawke sending us all over the place). E.g. some lvl 40 instances involving the Purple Gang, Maniacs, etc. They aren't magical.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User

I often wish there were some reason to visit westside again after lvl 15 (other than events, citizen missions, and Ladyhawke sending us all over the place). E.g. some lvl 40 instances involving the Purple Gang, Maniacs, etc. They aren't magical.
    Other than the Purple Gang & Red Banner, the leaders of the West Side gangs were annihilated in a story mission with the surviving members being either absorbed into the Red Banner or just running for their lives. And the Purple Gang are more aligned with psionics than technology.
    edited January 2022
    As long as it's not more Vipers I'm ok with any of those factions :weary: I feel Argents keep getting overshadowed by Vipers, despite being MC, Canada, MI

Expanding the Biotech in CO would be really interesting now that you mention it!
    It's as interested to me as Magitek/Magitek
    I guess Roin'esh would be in psychic category since they don't really use Technology and rely on their Shapeshifting abilities in combat! Unless this is classified as Biotech too

I wish more would be done with them, since their series ends with "The End..?" Stinger​​
    edited January 2022

Other than the Purple Gang & Red Banner, the leaders of the West Side gangs were annihilated in a story mission with the surviving members being either absorbed into the Red Banner or just running for their lives. And the Purple Gang are more aligned with psionics than technology.

Sure, but then we defeat Hi Pan (at least I always do ;) ) and put an end to his nefarious plot. Do the various gangs rise again with new bosses? Because the mooks always use guns I think of the Purple Gang as tech based. If you go by what powers the leader uses/is after, then you'd have to say that ultimately Viper isn't even a tech based villain group. For a number of years I've wished there was an endgame version of MC. I'd love to not have to travel to a bug infested jungle, or the frozen north for some cosmic action =)
    JwLmWoa.png
    I'd like to see the Black Aces get a moment in the spotlight. They're the forgotten faction in CO. :s
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Gadroon, Qularr, Teleios and Argent are the technology focused factions I can think of that are already in the game you haven't mentioned.
    You left out Mechanon and the original Dr Destroyer, though both of them are pretty decently represented already. There's also a couple of minor factions such as reprogrammed B17 robots, though there's not much there to hang a storyline on.
    edited January 2022
    bulgarex wrote: »

Something that I've wondered about since I first saw these guys is why they are called Kings of Edom and why are they Edomites at all? Why not Moabites, or Ammonites, or Amalekites (lots of -ites to pick from; my persoanl favorites are the Girgashites). Is there lore about where this name comes from in the Champions universe?

Disclaimer: my answer is going to be abridged and simplified, because while there is more info available both in Champions lore and the real world, this doesn't seem to be the place for a primer on theology and occultism. A serious scholar might take umbrage with it because of that, but this is for a discussion forum about a comic-book game, not an academic treatise. ;)

The primary author of the CU's Mystic World, Dean Shomshak, drew much inspiration from the Hebrew Bible, the Torah, and Kabbalism for his multiversal concepts. The Kings of Edom and Edomites are specifically listed in the book of Genesis, a literal list of the kings who ruled in the land of Edom before the establishment of the Israelite state. Edom is considered founded by Esau, the twin brother of Jacob who forfeited his birthright. Esau and Edom acquired many associations among Jewish scholars over the centuries: rivalry, treachery, warring opponents, and an imperfect corrupted land preceding Israel. Edom also came to be associated by Kabbalists with the concept of the Qliphoth (literally "husks"), flawed universes created by God as "trial runs" before creating our own universe.

When Dean Shomshak was developing a path for his own mystic Champions campaign to introduce Lovecraftian elder horrors, he modified those associations to better suit comic-book occultism, under the rationale that they reflected imperfect mortal understanding of those beings' true nature. The Champions Qliphoth are ancient universes so decayed that they've become the antithesis to energy, matter, life in our own universe. Within that context the Kings of Edom must have seemed like a fair analogue for Lovecraft's Great Old Ones. I personally think the name also sounds really cool. B)
    You left out Mechanon and the original Dr Destroyer, though both of them are pretty decently represented already. There's also a couple of minor factions such as reprogrammed B17 robots, though there's not much there to hang a storyline on.

Mechanon and Doctor Destroyer hate each other with a passion, each seeing the other as a major obstacle to their plans. They've engaged in alternating "cold" and "hot" war for years, with thousands of bystanders killed in the crossfire. Now that the true Destroyer has returned, this could be a prime time for their war to heat up again. Heroes might have to get between them to prevent innocent casualties. I could even see the heroes having to team with the Doctor to stop the mad robot. After all, DD just wants to conquer the world. Mech is trying to depopulate it.

We did also get the Warlord in the game. Technology is a major focus of his, both as an arms dealer and would-be conqueror. Some of the assets mentioned above could be repurposed as part of his forces. Using him could also introduce his elite supervillain-class team, the War Machine. Actual supervillains in a comic-book-supers-based RPG! Imagine that. :p