test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee/Thunder Build.

nickcave33nickcave33 Posts: 40 Arc User
Hey are there any Melee/Lightning builds? like a nice mix of melee and range.

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Yea, you can basically make any melee build mix w/ Elec if you take the approach of combining Ball Lit and Sparkstorm's toggle adv w/ its basic melee attacks (and likely using Ionic Reverb for the EU to help fuel it all, although other EUs could work, depending on the powerset). The build that I made in that older thread used HW for melee, but you could use a variety of other melee sets_attacks instead, if desired. So let us know if you wanted a different melee set to go w/ it. There's other ways of combining melee w/ Elec too; the Sparkstorm toggle + Ball Lit approach is just the most universal one.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    My 2cents for RANGED + MELEE characters:

Do it. Never worry about not getting top-tier damage for both ranged and melee. The only ability that you want to make sure is a BIG HITTER is the one you'll use on the tough/boss character.

Most of the time, this is a single target power. But there are some multiple target powers that hit really hard, as well (Force Cascade, for example).

Everything else can be just for clearing basic mobs.

So, don't think you need to take a passive like Night Warrior to be great at all-around.

Same for your Form and Energy Unlock.

I have a HW + Elec char: Chore. He is mostly for melee dps but has plenty of ranged electric. Form is Enrage. Passive is Unstoppable. EU is Ionic Reverb. So, some of his electric powers have a knock to them. PSS Strength. He works just fine everywhere.

Flow and others usually offer OPTIMIZED builds. Which is fine. I'm here to tell you that not everything about the build needs to be top-end built. That's because most content doesn't need it. As long as you have 1 good tough/boss attack that IS optimized (Form,energy,etc) then you are good to go.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Flow and others usually offer OPTIMIZED builds. Which is fine. I'm here to tell you that not everything about the build needs to be top-end built. That's because most content doesn't need it. As long as you have 1 good tough/boss attack that IS optimized (Form,energy,etc) then you are good to go.​​
    Eh, I don't necessarily disagree w/ the last few points, in a general sense. But while I do strive to try to improve builds, I usually don't offer min-maxed ones, in the high-end sense. Usually it's stuff that has to fit a specified theme or concept, and then I'll try to find a balance between satisfying the theme/concept and having strong functionality for general content, and otherwise leave some powers as open options (and I'm obv not always successful at these endeavors). Any melee + ranged mix is indeed generally sub-optimal for dps in CO, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be tried; many such builds can still fare relatively well, and it can oftentimes just depend on what your goals are for the character.

(Also, although NW is the most universal dps passive, the basic melee ones (Unstoppable and WotW) are also often good picks for melee + ranged mixes cause those passives can still boost non-melee dmg by a significant amount.)

Anyways, I think that's all I'll say on this topic for now, unless the OP has some feedback on the advice or wants to follow up here.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • nickcave33nickcave33 Posts: 40 Arc User
    ok ty guys. i messed it up bit and now need some gold to swap out a few things. as for goals as you can maybe tell from my avatar im a big Thor fan so wanted to make something like that. im not too fussed about crushing the damage meters, this guys is not my main after, but wanted something that at least didn't suck. Thank you both for the help.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    So, a dps build, a tank build, or a dual passive build? Heavy Weapons, I'd guess?

The link that I posted above would still work. Here is a slight tweak of it to make it a dual passive build. You could potentially drop R2 of Sparkstorm or Ball Lightning to boost the block to R3 (doesn't have to be Electric Shield). You should try to get the Empowered Dragon Staff device. Drops from Hi Pan and can be found in the AH at times. If you have a HW weapon skill this device will use that skin, rather than the Hi Pan scepter, so it looks like you throw lightning from your weapon.

Don't forget you can use various of the electric auras (there is also an electric eyes aura) to add the proper look even when using melee powers and there are also travel powers like Electro Flight.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)
    v3.44:37

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 9: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Bludgeon
    Level 1: Eruption (Magma Burst)
    Level 6: Enrage
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire)
    Level 14: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity)
    Level 17: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 20: Electrical Siphon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Annihilate (Rank 2, Scorching Blade)
    Level 32: Thundering Return
    Level 35: Electric Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Terak Generator
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    thanks. i got a build i really like. dropped sparkstorm for storm summoner, just looks way better. ah nice didn't know that about hi pans item. will have to save for it. thanks.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Jaaz put the device, Terak Generator on the list. The reason that is there is that it is a device-based applier of Superconductor. Plus, it's a nice cone aoe maintain. I forget whether it is Q store or Drifter.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »
    Jaaz put the device, Terak Generator on the list. The reason that is there is that it is a device-based applier of Superconductor. Plus, it's a nice cone aoe maintain. I forget whether it is Q store or Drifter.​​

yep i already have that one. its very nice.