test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic is becoming a Gearbox Studio!

Hey folks! You may have seen the press release that just went out, and I wanted to create a post here and get ahead of any questions you may have. Below is all the information I can currently share, but feel free to ask more questions in the thread below, and if I can answer them, I will.

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-agreement-to-acquire-perfect-world-entertainment/

So what does this mean for Champions Online?
It's an exciting new opportunity for us to work with a new and very talented group of people. We've all seen the previous work Gearbox has done, and it's cool to get to be a part of that. But in terms of the day to day operations of CO, very little will change, if anything at all. The team is not changing, the leadership of both CO and Cryptic Studios is not changing, and the team who was previously at PWE, now Gearbox, is unchanging as well. Basically, you should see very little difference once this deal goes through in how our game runs.

Will Champions Online be sunset because of this deal?
There are no plans to sunset Champions Online right now. We are hard at work on continued development and remain committed to providing our players with the best experience possible.

Will I still launch the game through Arc?
If Arc was your preferred way to launch the game, that won't change. You'll also still be able to launch it through Steam, or just the Cryptic launcher itself.

How will this affect my account?
Your account should experience no changes as a result of Cryptic joining the Gearbox family. If there are any changes, we'll let you know in a separate forum post.

This is an exciting time for us, and I hope we have even more details to share with you soon.

Comments

• thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 177 Arc User
    There are no plans to sunset Champions Online right now.

With the recent reintroduction of character-specific costume unlocks as a concept after promises of that not happening, this being specified in particular genuinely unsettles me way more than the unknown of this game being under a new company. I like my Champions Online after all.

Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Looking forward to the huge amounts of development funding that will certainly be coming CO's way!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    From the link:
    Cryptic Studios currently operates three longstanding MMOs (Neverwinter, Star Trek Online and Champions Online) with a
    shared life span of 25+ years. These titles generate significant profits,
    I mean, sure the report is targeting investors, but the "right now" part of
    There are no plans to sunset Champions Online right now.
    is not reassuring to me as a player. Especially when similar lines have been heard from other studios being acquired by larger corporations/groups, only to be followed up with their online only games being taken offline less than a year later.

It leaves me with a fairly big question: How well is CO doing compared to the amount of money being spent on maintenance and patches?
  • greatzeorymergreatzeorymer Posts: 14 Arc User
    This is quite surprising, as Embracer Group ALSO aquired Dark Horse Comics....This CANNOT be coincidental as DH has also published hero based comics as well.

Champions isn't as 'popular' as other titles under PWE (especially compared to Star Trek Online), but Champions is also in that unique position in that it's part of that hero MMO based with only a couple of other titles out.

I WANT to believe this'll mean more funding and people for Cryptic to PROPERLY develop CO again! I want to believe that! But...Time will tell, as it does all things.
  • So, I specifically asked yesterday if Champs was in any danger, and was told, "no," pretty emphatically. I have to say, "right now," because we can't ever make statements that could be interpreted as promises that something will never, ever happen, but as far as I know, Champs is going to be around for a while.
  • lancerviolatorlancerviolator Posts: 1 Arc User
    There are two reasons companies acquire others. One, they are doing well and they want to add a profitable company to the conglomerate. Two, they are doing just enough to be viable, but plan to liquidate them to take a tax credit to offset profits of other assets.

Speaking of "Gear Box" not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but remember they had "Duke Nukem" in vaporware mode for 12 + years.
  • somerandomkid500somerandomkid500 Posts: 79 Arc User
    Its going to take more than an "empathetic" no to reassure me that CO isn't going to sunset. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about Gearbox, but I would hope they can throw some kinda cash at CO and see if it can turn or make some kind of profit. But really, CO is a sunken ship thats been rotting away at the bottom of the ocean for years now. I imagine this'll be the last game that get any attention focused on it, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and full advantage is taken to breathe new life into Champions, especially since its one of two superhero MMOs on the market. The other obviously being DCUO, but we don't talk about that game.
    Main OC: Glitch - Conduit of The Network

“I put a 'Glitch' in your system!”
    edited December 2021
    It was interesting that they did mention CO in the same breath as STO and NW as games that in total have been around 25+ years (and CO by itself accounts for about half of that total). I always wonder how games I've no interest in playing, like Torchlight and Remnant: From the Ashes, do in terms of income for the parent company?
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
    > @somerandomkid500 said:
    > Its going to take more than an "empathetic" no to reassure me that CO isn't going to sunset.

He said "emphatically", not empathetically. Not sure if that helps either way, but it is a pretty big difference, for what it's worth.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    So, I specifically asked yesterday if Champs was in any danger, and was told, "no," pretty emphatically. I have to say, "right now," because we can't ever make statements that could be interpreted as promises that something will never, ever happen, but as far as I know, Champs is going to be around for a while.

That's probably not going to reassure most folks. And it will definitely be quoted by the doomsayers who have been around for over a decade.

With that said, I'm not really looking for huge changes. Mergers happen all the time. Hell, EG7 bought a lot of MMOs (DCUO, LoTRO, DDO, Mechwarrior Online, EQ/EQ2, etc.) and things have improved, albeit slightly.

As long as CO keeps running, everything's cool.
  • aphroditaaphrodita Posts: 1 Arc User
    So, I specifically asked yesterday if Champs was in any danger, and was told, "no," pretty emphatically. I have to say, "right now," because we can't ever make statements that could be interpreted as promises that something will never, ever happen, but as far as I know, Champs is going to be around for a while.

sorry if i jump into this thread as an outsider, but since PWI (perfect world, the mmorpg) has not received the same newspost as CO, NW and STO, i was wondering if you have any info about the near future of PWI? thank you in advance!
  • I'm hoping for big changes in this game. It's going to decay sooner or later one way or the other. If the old users who are still here give up on it or get bored with it, it will happen even faster.
    Because I love this game, I will never be satisfied with the current situation, nor will I become conservative for fear of change. Because I still have hope that it can be better.
  • miorummiorum Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Hey Kael,

this is a very exciting time for the whole CO branch, considering this game is currently run by a passionate skeleton crew with very little leeway in what they're allowed to do (outside of making sure the server hamster is fed and creating Lockbox costume sets out of whatever franchise is currently popular).

I'm not a fan of Gearbox: the founder/president/CEO of Gearbox (who is nigh synonymous with Gearbox whenever it's mentioned in the circles I frequent) I feel is a poor fit with basically the rest of humanity; and I present "Aliens: Colonial Marines" as my case for not having a lot of trust in Gearbox themselves. ... But as turns out Embracer Group bought up PWE and Cryptic; did so, and went "Hey, you're Gearbox now. :) " ... so this quashes initial feelings of dislike and distrust.

This thread's a good idea - not only because it manages the community, wink, but because it beat others to the punch for posting the news and provides a singular space for questions regarding the acquisition - so thank you, well done and let's hope for more, better things in the future for everyone involved.

Edit:
    Considering the Embracer Group also holds Coffee Stains Studios - am I the only one crossing my fingers for a "Goat Simulator" event with unlockable 'Ragdoll_Flop' Emote? (/j)
    In-game, I'm The_Kef -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "That's really it for Champs."
    miorum wrote: »
    Hey Kael,

this is a very exciting time for the whole CO branch, considering this game is currently run by a passionate skeleton crew with very little leeway in what they're allowed to do (outside of making sure the server hamster is fed and creating Lockbox costume sets out of whatever franchise is currently popular).

I'm not a fan of Gearbox: the founder/president/CEO of Gearbox (who is nigh synonymous with Gearbox whenever it's mentioned in the circles I frequent) I feel is a poor fit with basically the rest of humanity; and I present "Aliens: Colonial Marines" as my case for not having a lot of trust in Gearbox themselves. ... But as turns out Embracer Group bought up PWE and Cryptic; did so, and went "Hey, you're Gearbox now. :) " ... so this quashes initial feelings of dislike and distrust.

This thread's a good idea - not only because it manages the community, wink, but because it beat others to the punch for posting the news and provides a singular space for questions regarding the acquisition - so thank you, well done and let's hope for more, better things in the future for everyone involved.

Edit:
    Considering the Embracer Group also holds Coffee Stains Studios - am I the only one crossing my fingers for a "Goat Simulator" event with unlockable 'Ragdoll_Flop' Emote? (/j)

For me it's the fact that Coffee Stains Studios has published Deep Rock Galactic!

I think what you said about Gearbox is very true; prior to the big 'incident' with the company, they had a good rep, then of course it all came crashing down. But that being said, based on what you said, hopefully the worries are unfounded.

• metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Best take a chance with change because things happening too slow as is. Aye, lets just hope they like fur culture as much as the previous studios. Okay bad joke. I'm not worried at all. Please continue to develope the game properly. This is my creative chill zone for real.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    CO has been around for a long time and unlike other cryptic titles mentioned in the article, it's been allowed to become dated in look and feel. I am heartened by the mention of CO in the press release. Also, finding out the new studio owns Darkhorse Comics, makes me wonder if the CO engine will be used to make a new updated hero game. I <3 supers so that would be satisfying for me, even if CO became sunset. Overall, I'm prepared to handle whatever news comes our way. I'm appreciative of the announcement and the thread.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    From the press release, sounds like the fail on Magic: Legends might be important to why this happened. As for CO, the reasons it is neither under particularly active development nor dead remain valid: it's not profitable enough for major investment, but it's not terribly expensive to run. It would not surprise me to see it end-of-lifed, but it would also not surprise me to see it persist for years.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Hey folks! You may have seen the press release that just went out, and I wanted to create a post here and get ahead of any questions you may have. Below is all the information I can currently share, but feel free to ask more questions in the thread below, and if I can answer them, I will.

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-group-enters-into-agreement-to-acquire-perfect-world-entertainment/

So what does this mean for Champions Online?
    It's an exciting new opportunity for us to work with a new and very talented group of people. We've all seen the previous work Gearbox has done, and it's cool to get to be a part of that. But in terms of the day to day operations of CO, very little will change, if anything at all. The team is not changing, the leadership of both CO and Cryptic Studios is not changing, and the team who was previously at PWE, now Gearbox, is unchanging as well. Basically, you should see very little difference once this deal goes through in how our game runs.

There are no plans to sunset Champions Online right now. We are hard at work on continued development and remain committed to providing our players with the best experience possible.

Will I still launch the game through Arc?
    If Arc was your preferred way to launch the game, that won't change. You'll also still be able to launch it through Steam, or just the Cryptic launcher itself.

How will this affect my account?
    Your account should experience no changes as a result of Cryptic joining the Gearbox family. If there are any changes, we'll let you know in a separate forum post.

This is an exciting time for us, and I hope we have even more details to share with you soon.

Interesting! After reading up a bit on this acquisition, I now see why they bought Cryptic. And, I look forward to interesting changes to come
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    *carefully finishes patching a small mound of dirt, patting it lightly before sprinkling water and then sticking a little marker into the soil with the word "Hope" printed on it*

Behind him a garbage pile of ignored trash with the words, dated engine, spaghetti code, bugs galore.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Still here. Not going anywhere.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I hope they at least get rid of the events. They're done, and tired. And doing them for the 20th time in a row is soul-torture. Stop recycling things, and make something new.
    [NbK]XStorm
    edited December 2021
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I hope they at least get rid of the events. They're done, and tired. And doing them for the 20th time in a row is soul-torture. Stop recycling things, and make something new.

With what staff?

Also, remember that there are always new players for whom these cyclical events are brand new. At least I assume that there are always many new players passing through the game since there always seems to be someone willing to buy the Gravitar gloves I dump in the AH.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Personally happy that there are cyclical events. I may not do some of them, but these are things where I can get together with many other people to DO something.

And, yeah, there must be many newer players based on: "where's Barlowe?" and "where's Mutation?" calls in chat when those locations are announced.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    nbkxs wrote: »

How could they possibly get rid of events? What would they replace it with? How would they celebrate the different holidays?Please elaborate becausebit doesn't seem to make sense to me. Especially as we see much more players during the events why do you think nthat would be a good idea?

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Something, /ANYTHING/, that's not the same-old thing that's been recycled for a decade. Something NEW. Doesn't have to be much, just SOMETHING. Maybe mix them together, have Tako-Clarence-Chicken-thing, whatever - the nighthawk ship all attack at the same time for an epic mix of events. Just something to do that's not a decade tired.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Eh. First step should be re-writing the current events so that they do a better job of selling new players on the game lore and characters as serious points of interest.

So many of the events are simply written and directed in the most awful manner possible. I used to think it was deliberate, to make everything seem like one big, comic book joke so as to avoid ever having to strive too hard to be taken seriously as a dramatic body of science fiction. Then I found out it was based on a PnP IP< and I did more content, more events, learned more about the world. There is a campy vibe to CO, but it's not all intentional.

The events could stand to undergo a re-write to make the flow of certain events better. Some like Clarence you just do your tasking and it's fine. The alert isn't so bad. Others like Nighthawk need to be examined to restructured to serve the purpose of being a compelling story, getting people excited about and interested in who these characters are. You'll be a lil disappointed until you look into their PnP versions (if they have one), but CO does the bare minimum to provide actual setting canon and lore.

Work needs to be done to improve CO's image among new players coming in who have credit cards, are willing to spend on good games, but not one with such a small, disconnected and often times elitist community, and such an old, dated, bare bones system.

I love CO, but it's to the point the core issues can no longer be ignored out of love for it. I could go on and on, but I'm waiting for the Gearbox takeover to present a sound list of suggestions on how to appeal to new users that doesn't involve engine upgrades, better gfx, new features, etc, etc. Realistic things working from what we already have.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    It is hard for anyone to predict the plans for any of the 3 Cryptic Studios games for 2022. I kept telling people last summer over on the Neverwinter forums that the failure of Magic would have repercussions and a sale of Cryptic Studios could be the most possible outcome. Also I don't think you spend 103 million on a property just to toss it in the recycler.

On the bright-side... at least they didn't sell to Konami. Does this mean we get to hear everyone complain about the Swedes instead of the Chinese now? :smile:

Have fun! :heart:
    Post edited by sandukutupu on
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • I hope the new owners are prepared to listen to the players and maybe we can salvage this game.

Here's how an easy villain mode could be implemented - it's a device you get once a day that lets you temporarily switch sides and access special missions where you can rob banks and such. Also has new PVP potential. Basically you have two modes - Hero Mode and Villain Mode. Hero Mode is the standard game, Villain Mode allows you access to special missions starting at level 10.

I don't expect a whole story to be given to villains but a way to be the one who robs the bank using a device that magically makes the game believe you are a villain not a hero would be an easy fix. Then players can get to level 10, decide if they are a hero or villain then role play. The special device lets you play villain versions of standard missions like bank robberies and the other Alerts.

I think people would come back for this. It encourages role play.
    To me a villain option would be a waste of scant resources and I would not support it. I hope the new owners listen to the players.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    I hope the new owners are prepared to listen to the players and maybe we can salvage this game.

Here's how an easy villain mode could be implemented - it's a device you get once a day that lets you temporarily switch sides and access special missions where you can rob banks and such. Also has new PVP potential. Basically you have two modes - Hero Mode and Villain Mode. Hero Mode is the standard game, Villain Mode allows you access to special missions starting at level 10.

I don't expect a whole story to be given to villains but a way to be the one who robs the bank using a device that magically makes the game believe you are a villain not a hero would be an easy fix. Then players can get to level 10, decide if they are a hero or villain then role play. The special device lets you play villain versions of standard missions like bank robberies and the other Alerts.

I think people would come back for this. It encourages role play.

We have the Nemesis editor and that could be expanded upon. If you desire to be the "bad guy" yourself that is not hard thing to do in Champions. Use a little imagination make your backstory to fit the villain role and when you get around to making your nemesis just pick any "good guy" story or even create one of the main heroes as your nemesis. I have made villains in Neverwinter, sure everyone thinks they are heroic dragon slayers but the Ironcrowns were Asmodeus worshiping bad guys all along. If you still don't grasp what I am saying read her biography here.

Have fun! :heart:
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    What is it with people's seemingly obsession to play the bad guys in almost any game? I get the idea, but if a game is never intended for it in the first place, I not see it ever happening then. Besides, I personally rather not have a stupid "faction war" like in other games.
    edited January 2022
    Well they can make basically any change and people will support it or complain regardless. People ask for new starting options some say they don't really care. They can listen to players but which ones that talking right or tomfoolery?

It's not really that hard to make separate questlines. Yet I cannot say it's an important focus for the time being. It does sound like a big project. But it ain't. Few tiny little cut scenes no voice acting. Plus is still regarded as good in-game content so it is not a waste of resources as they may say.

Start by removing the outdated qulaar simulation. That thing is way to slow and doesn't teach people properly.
    Instead you choose:

Start of from creation page by choosing:
    Rouge or Hero or Skip

*They will drop you in a small room in PH with headmistress for Hero.
    *They will drop you in a small room in PH with an informant for Rouge.

Replace Q simulation with neutral quick tutorial in a plane white grided room. Throughly teaching players basic moves and functions.

When done teleport to PH trainers. I'f you choose skip you go there instantly.

Head Trainer gives a selection from 4 different starting points in open world. (Indicate the head trainer is possibly an evil informant on the inside. He now has cosmic eyes and not to trustable. But he can see anyone anywhere in the world.). Teleport options are:
    *MC Good (current start)
    *Canada Neutral
    *Prison Riot Evil
    *Desert Nutral

They will follow short questline to level 10 and further to 20 or so if you decided to do the whole thing. These missions doesn't need to be brain busters. Just easy little things and a loosely based story.

*MC: To defender as usual

*Canada: Instantly start working there as help

*Prison Riot: Your powers got nerfed some how and you where taken into custody. (Don't go in-depth this is for players to decide why the got captured) Now breaking out.

*Desert Evil: This is for players who want to focus on more outworldly top teir characters. Basically came from out of space or whatever. Now have beef with Viper Squads.

All quest lines chain into the others that are higher level like Monster Island.

Remember even if the character is Evil they can still visit the PH because even villains help to save the world for what ever reason. Read a comic or two.

edited January 2022
    Also bring on the good vs evil war! I see it as a good interactive piece of content where players may decide the reward at the end.

All this talking and I wander if anybody important is reading this at all. We're just speculating things that may never happen at this point.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Odds of major updates to CO at this point in its lifecycle: 0. We're not going to see new content at a higher rate than we've seen over the last few years, though it might drop off further. If Gearbox does decide they want to invest substantially in superhero stuff, it will be a new game.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    I just hope it isn’t too late to get the game back on track. Swan head, Corgi head, Polar Bear head, Shisa, baboon ear, duck armor, iguana boots, chinchilla hair… I mean, that’s enough. CO is a superhero game, rich PnP lore, setting, characters… play to its strengths, build on that, superheroes have never been this popular, cater to that player base, and we’ll be alright.

We don’t need a villain side, engine revamp, none of that at this point IMO. Waste of resources we don’t even have. Just get back to what the game is supposed to be and stay the freakin’ course.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    spordelia wrote: »
    I just hope it isn’t too late to get the game back on track. Swan head, Corgi head, Polar Bear head, Shisa, baboon ear, duck armor, iguana boots, chinchilla hair… I mean, that’s enough. CO is a superhero game, rich PnP lore, setting, characters… play to its strengths, build on that, superheroes have never been this popular, cater to that player base, and we’ll be alright.

We don’t need a villain side, engine revamp, none of that at this point IMO. Waste of resources we don’t even have. Just get back to what the game is supposed to be and stay the freakin’ course.

hair-flip-sips.gif
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I would just like it if whoever is going to take over direction of CO will read the lore books! The original developers clearly did, and even though I often disagreed with their interpretation of the IP, at least they were familiar with it and had some understanding of its scope and potential. The current crew seem to be familiar only with what has appeared in CO, and keep returning to it, with minor variations, again and again. Even if they don't bring in much new stuff, if they understand what they actually have they could repurpose it more effectively.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Hmm Everyone is excited but I can't help but being cautious with this change!
    We are owned by Randy Pitchford now!
    spordelia wrote: »

You know Spordelia! I'm getting really Tired of seeing you complaining about Bestial heads! Not to mention some REALLY Questionable remarks you made in forums the past years about the people liking them 🤨
    CO is more of a Variety game now! Which makes it more enjoyable

We got very few bestial costumes this year! Not even Z-store and Lockboxes (ZSTORE is DEAD), only events! We got like 4-5 new ones this year? 3 of them from the whole Unknowable one series (1 from Open Mission 2 from the Rampage) the rest of the costumes are Fins which everyone can use and the King Arvad's in SCR/GCR
    • During the Adventure series we only got 3 Lizard heads (1 from the Open mission, 2 from the Rampage)
    • The Swan Costume armour set is an obvious and pretty creative reference to the Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet which is always popular during Christmas period! Makes sense to include it during a christmas event

I don't see you complaining on the Full Lockbox costume sets we have been getting every 3 months, which the majority of them are Technology based and some of them are Bland without details
    hair-flip-sips.gif
    So how is this Telepathy update going on for you?
    267.png

How about focusing on the CORE mechanics of the game!?
    POWER REVAMPS! Expanding Power progression for better Theme FF Builds and more new powers in general! Fighting Claws, Dual Blades, Force, Wind, Earth, Celestial, Gadgets
    We got so much Deadtime between power revamps the last 3 years!

You can keep releasing new shiny costumes all you want, but without New powers to compliment them and Expand the theme Freeform build variety of the core game its going nowhere
    Example: Still No single Pistols for 2 Lockbox costume sets which having a freaking sidekick using them, Fighting Claws teasing without actual Fighting Claws update, Earth sets with sidekicks without Earth Powers, Celestial e.t.c​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    avianos wrote: »
    [*] The Swan Costume armour set is an obvious and pretty creative reference to the Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet which is always popular during Christmas period! Makes sense to include it during a christmas event
    ​​

Heh, I missed this tie-in completely. Pretty obviously we need a Pirouette emote to go with this swan costume (though I confess to cringing at the thought of a skyscarper-sized Vexx doing that). Also add in a tutu and ballet slippers for next year.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Heh, I missed this tie-in completely. Pretty obviously we need a Pirouette emote to go with this swan costume (though I confess to cringing at the thought of a skyscarper-sized Vexx doing that). Also add in a tutu and ballet slippers for next year.
    I hope the player I saw years ago with the character "Combat Ballerina" is still around so they can take use of that :grin:

And with that we can get more KICK powers! Unironically! More kicks please​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    64 bit client please.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    hair-flip-sips.gif
    So how is this Telepathy update going on for you?
    267.png

Was...was this supposed to be shady?

Im-confused-GIF.gif

....Anyway...everyone knows Telepathy has been going in the same direction as it always will do.

Whether you think that's a good thing or not is a matter of experience and perception! :wink:

IMO, this gif still applies to the set:

elQmA2o.gif

--

Anyways, I definitely agree we need more tailored-to-the-genre content and costumes that are high quality. If anything, all the furry/anthro costumes have done is disprove the notion peddled by some that making different kinds of hair is "difficult".

As for the following....
    POWER REVAMPS! Expanding Power progression for better Theme FF Builds and more new powers in general! Fighting Claws, Dual Blades, Force, Wind, Earth, Celestial, Gadgets

You can keep releasing new shiny costumes all you want, but without New powers to compliment them and Expand the theme Freeform build variety of the core game its going nowhere
    Example: Still No single Pistols for 2 Lockbox costume sets which having a freaking sidekick using them, Fighting Claws teasing without actual Fighting Claws update, Earth sets with sidekicks without Earth Powers, Celestial e.t.c​​

Definitely agreed here, we do need some positive power set reviews.
    You know Spordelia! I'm getting really Tired of seeing you complaining about Bestial heads! Not to mention some REALLY Questionable remarks you made in forums the past years about the people liking them 🤨
    CO is more of a Variety game now! Which makes it more enjoyable

We got very few bestial costumes this year! Not even Z-store and Lockboxes (ZSTORE is DEAD), only events! We got like 4-5 new ones this year? 3 of them from the whole Unknowable one series (1 from Open Mission 2 from the Rampage) the rest of the costumes are Fins which everyone can use and the King Arvad's in SCR/GCR
    • During the Adventure series we only got 3 Lizard heads (1 from the Open mission, 2 from the Rampage)
    • The Swan Costume armour set is an obvious and pretty creative reference to the Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet which is always popular during Christmas period! Makes sense to include it during a christmas event

I don't see you complaining on the Full Lockbox costume sets we have been getting every 3 months, which the majority of them are Technology based and some of them are Bland without details.​​

Not speaking for Spordelia but...

1) "CO is more of a variety game now!" - I don't think "Variety" is the right word here. I think the frustration is that it feels like quite a lot of pieces added outside of "standard tights" (if you will) is very high quality looking and more often than not, it is associated to something which is not remotely dominant within the superhero genre. To even obtain access to a wider variety of hairstyles...I had to purchase the "bulk" of an item in the Z Store I will never use (beast/anthro/furry heads), which likely counted towards someone saying "oh this sold well, lets make more of it".

I would have -loved- for them to separate out the beast heads and the hairs into two different packs to see what players are actually going for.

I will say, I have always agreed (back in the day) that there needs to be more options for players who are really into creating beast style/furry/anthro characters beyond the vicious looking Manimal heads...but I never imagined it'd feel like we're overloaded by those items.

I never saw loads of suggestions for them in the costume thread or anything like that, they just seem to be very high quality pieces that are continually being added to the game, whereas what players are posting and actually wanting...doesn't seem to match what is entering the game as high quality pieces.

That's the issue.

2) "The Swan Costume armour set is an obvious and pretty creative reference to the..." - An obvious and creative reference to the Swan Lake ballet...would be a full ballet outfit and costume piece with a Ballerina side kick that could summon little swans as attacking minions and an Attack Toy update which granted a new skin for that power. Nothing about the Swan Armor, to me at least, made me even think about Tchikovsky's Swan Lake ballet. Nothing whatsoever. You could argue "Swan Head" lol...but okay...what else? Glad you brought it up though...never thought about it in those terms and I'm not entirely sure that was the intention but...everyone takes something different away I guess!

3) "During the Adventure series we only got 3 Lizard heads (1 from the Open mission, 2 from the Rampage)" - And in the many years we've had CO, we've only recently gotten one usable humanoid head (Ironclad head) that provides something slightly different to what we can accomplish with face sliders.

I see what you're saying Avi but...I look at CO...and its copious lore and wonder why we can't have more superhero related content and costumes when there's so much of it in lore...and it is hot right now in media (superheroes I mean).
  • spordelia wrote: »
    I just hope it isn’t too late to get the game back on track. Swan head, Corgi head, Polar Bear head, Shisa, baboon ear, duck armor, iguana boots, chinchilla hair…

Shisa. Lmao
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Well, I’m sorry you feel that way. I think you’re a delight. ;)
    CO is more of a Variety game now!
    Yeah, doing just *fabulously*…
    Which makes it more enjoyable
    For you, perhaps. But can you understand why others might not feel the same way?
    ...and some of them are Bland without details
    And whose fault is that?
    On this, we can agree.
    Power revamps have been done well, generally speaking, and they’re sorely needed. But then again, why superpowers? Let’s replace those with cooking, gardening, maybe some decoupage skills… you know, CO being a variety game and all.

I will say, I have always agreed (back in the day) that there needs to be more options for players who are really into creating beast style/furry/anthro characters beyond the vicious looking Manimal heads...but I never imagined it'd feel like we're overloaded by those items.

I never saw loads of suggestions for them in the costume thread or anything like that, they just seem to be very high quality pieces that are continually being added to the game, whereas what players are posting and actually wanting...doesn't seem to match what is entering the game as high quality pieces.

That's the issue.
    Exactly! :+1:
  • I just hope the costumes and combat mechanics stay the same or are improved
    I have ALOT of things that I HOPE will happen! But I also need to temper those thoughts with reality. In my opinion, as some people have stated, there are certain things about CO that SHOULD have priority.

1) Bug fixing! - This can't be stressed enough! IF the devs get more staff and funding, that means more time to find bugs and correct them! Less hassle down the road when you add content.

2) Improving core mechanics - CO already has a strong foundation. That foundation should continue to be worked on! Reworking powersets, balancing them, perhaps adding new powers to the sets or even new power sets all together, which leads to...

3) New Core Content - What does that mean? Actual quest lines! Story lines! New zones! The Adventure packs were BIG when they first came out! That was one of this game's strengths! That should be capitalized on!

4) Further improvements/expansions - The Nemesis system can have new editions! Whole new power sets! New Zones!

I could go on, but again, this is 'my' personal priority list.
    edited January 2022
    I came here to say let's just go all out this year and I don't mean more anthro animal whatever. If we are unsure of the future lets just go hard. Don't want to turn this into a suggestion thread but I have to leave my opinion given the current discussion.

I have to agree with spordelia a bit. If the want to make beast heads they should throw all that junk in the Z store and not make it a thing you have to collect to get somethimg else Iike a perk or hair. I didn't want swan head on my account so I didn't get my perk. There as so many flawless ideas to choose from. Look at a marvel or DC superhero rouster there isn't more than one occasional beast. No amount of discussion can fix this back pedal. It's like one step forward one step back. They will never see the error beyond the fiasco of practically sleeping in a house a flame.

When I see things like swan head come up in think. Maybe they are out of ideas on what to make. But then there is a long line of rich suggestions to choose from and swan head makes the cut. The game could have gone without it to be honest and still get a perk.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1204682/costume-suggestion-thread

Sure some players enjoy joshing around with those whimsical little costume pieces. But it's not helping the game get where it needs to be. Like trying to show people a superhero game and when you open your character selections it's all beast heads. It's no just the costumes pieces we need. We need new everything usable to thematic characters. Things humans use on the average daily:

Bear head? No binoculars.
    Corgi head? No bathtowel wrap.
    Swan head? No. How about a bird Action Figures.
    It was Christmas we could of used a long Santa hat that falls over the shoulder. Double angel wing. Triple angel wings. Mistletoe leaf wings. Double ski boards. Asian traditional clothing. It goes on forever... What would be better than beast heads. Alien heads, so many aliens in DC and Marvel. Green lanterns, Guardians nof the Galaxy.

So many countries around the world and we cannot get tight for them as yet. It's not fair to not have tigths of other countries. Simple as the 3 pattern tights as of DCs Triplicate doesn't exist. So many countries have three pattern color flags.

The thing is these items make the CO looks like it's falling behind on what people usually get in other MMOs. I really hope gearbox has an idea man.

• wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'm not going to lie... Given how most of the development for this game has been, i was under the impression that it already WAS sunset but they were just keeping it up for the money.

All we really get are new lock boxes and the fact that they've flat out told us they're not going to be giving us any new power sets ever again. Granted, they've put WAAAAAY more effort in the last two years than the previous, what... seven? but it's still a game that's pretty much been dead, minus the hardcore crew. They didn't even bother mentioning the same details in the report for CO that they did for NW and STO, and even Daybreak games doesn't even count this game as they refer to DCUO as the "one and only superhero based mmo".

I love this game, i love a lot of the Things they did right, like character creation/customizations and power building but it really seems like they sunset it years ago.

I will definitely be curious to see where Cryptic games go, under the gearbox label. Not just the three existing games but i'll be curious to see if they manage to get any other games out and what they will be like. I hope they get back to more Customization like CO has, regardless.