test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Notice: Armadillo Set

For a while I thought the armadillo set was 25%, 50% against all damage. However whenever I said anything about it people piped up it being Physical damage resistance only. Well I contacted support and told them, they passed it to the Devs.

Dunno if you noticed but the description of the set and their buff 25%, 50% all damage resistance.

So if you want a bit more defense leveling up. =3 Enjoy,

Comments

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    No offense, but that gear is not really for leveling, since it is bound you can't switch it to other chars. It is more like a specific gear for specific situations, and I guess fun with the transformation being build in it as well.

Bug reports are overall good tho and I do remember I think it was overall damage resistance, due the other stats are physical and non-physical damage boosts. So this set was always the defensive one.
  • areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    For a casual player like myself it is my goto in sub stuff. I just equip it and focus on my Primary stuff. 25% all resist on squishy characters is life saving.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    I agree, for fragile heroes the Armadillo set (especially in secondaries where you are not missing any mod bonuses) is really good and you can notice the difference once you get that 25% (even with Cryptic math behind defenses..).

Possibly not endgame-worthy, but definitely flexible for leveling.

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    True to that, I give you that, just something I would not do I guess myself due low on Questonite often. But everyone has their own preferences I guess. And that is good so, more variety.
    People are still saying it's physical resist only. I tried getting some response from Support but they cannot find official notes stating if it is all damage or physical damage only.

So they told me to ask here, so I am refreshing this old post.
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I highly, highly doubt it is all damage resistance.

The most prized drop from Therakiel's Temple, [Brilliance], is about 20% all damage resistance, and the higher gameplay-level players I know are almost selling their own souls for them. 50% all damage resistance for just spending questionite and no GCR, AND can equip at a low level is pretty broken, broken to the point that farming OV or Eido gear would be near pointless for a tank because of how much All Damage resist they would be sacrificing.

And I don't know any endgame level tanks keeping Armadillo gear over OV, Eido, or even Cosmic secondaries.

They need to update the tooltip and be more specific.
  • omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    It says damage resistance. And I have the full set on one of my alts.
    I have never been able to tell exactly if its just physical or all damage. But it feels like it is all damage as the character survives alot more encounters, where before getting the set they were not. (Turns out its not. See post down below.)

I agree that it is odd to get so potentially potent a set so relatively easily. But it does have the notable drawback of having no slots and its stat bonuses are pretty average to almost below average for a set like this. So there is a notable tradeoff here in that your defense is boosted against all damage... but your stats are taking a possible severe hit.
    Post edited by omega2764 on
    Which makes it difficult to hold agro without all the hate+ from confront and other mods.
    edited December 2021
    Exactly. Hence why I believe it is all damage resist. (Which turned out to be wrong. It is not) It is going to be useful for some builds, and horrible for others due to its limitations.

It is like some of the old levelling sets. Sure you get an EXP boost, and the stats do improve as you level. But thats it. No slots and no other advantages.

Then again. For some, not having to mess around with mods might be seen as a bonus.
    Post edited by omega2764 on
    Awesome! Ill just trade my CC's Virtuous/OV set for full Armadillo. Don't need that many stats/threat to CC, and with all that 'All Damage' resistance at my disposal, I should be able to withstand storm ticks without blocking, unlike in Virtuous/OV gear where I have to. Same with Ape's lava.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Awesome! Ill just trade my CC's Virtuous/OV set for full Armadillo. Don't need that many stats/threat to CC, and with all that 'All Damage' resistance at my disposal, I should be able to withstand storm ticks without blocking, unlike in Virtuous/OV gear where I have to. Same with Ape's lava.

If you actually do that, please report back here. Just curious if it will really work.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Diminishing Gain is a thing so pfui on you.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    I did some testing with an old character that had the set (from when they were levelling), and the resistance is currently only for physical damage.
    I did some testing with an old character that had the set (from when they were levelling), and the resistance is currently only for physical damage.

Thanks I have notified the support person I have been in contact with. Hopefully they will update the in game description so no one else wastes their Q.

7acbec12555925aaa4177acf8f46f4cb67966d24.gifv
    edited January 2022
    areee wrote: »

Diminishing Gain is a thing so pfui on you.

Why for being honest with you and not feeding false hope in my previous post?

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you think a blue-tier Q set is going to outperform or even be close to the same level as a gold-tier tanking set in the damage mitigation department, I don't know what to tell you, other than the sarcasm was way too easy to pass up.
    Post edited by zwipezanther on
  • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    It is sad how often this topic comes up, and people continue to believe the text description over actual tests. All veterans who do their own testing know it is physical damage only, otherwise it would be used a lot more. Everyone can easily test this themselves to confirm.

Wearing all armadillo and getting hit by the PH laser:
    [16:30] You lose 1298 (1500) Fire Damage from Blue Beam.

Swapped to all cyber pieces (no resist bonuses!) and getting hit by the PH laser:
    [16:30] You lose 1298 (1500) Fire Damage from Blue Beam.

As you can see, the damage is identical between the two sets, because Armadillo did not resist fire damage. Testing physical damage on the other hand confirms that it works correctly in that case.

For physical damage, I used purple gang in the training room.
    Wearing all armadillo I get about a 39% mitigation from base defense stats + 2x set bonus:
    [16:36] Driver deals 152 (251) Crushing Damage to you with Basic Fighting 2.

Wearing all cyber pieces I get a 13% mitigation from base defense stats:
    [16:40] Driver deals 199 (229) Crushing Damage to you with Basic Fighting 2.

Some very misguided people believe this set to be endgame worthy. I compare to a typical set of distinguished primary, ov & cosmic secondaries, giving around 31% mitigation:
    [16:45] Driver deals 147 (215) Crushing Damage to you with Basic Fighting 2.

While at first glance, 31% mitigation seems worse than a full armadillo 39% mitigation, we have to consider the armadillo set gives lower stat totals, a terrible stat spread, and no customizable mod slots.

All tests were done on level 40 with no powers selected, no superstats, no spec tree, not blocking, and no dodge proc.

Additional test on live for my own reference:
    Lvl 40 con/str/rec melee dps, wearing remarkable gear gets around 27% mitigation
    [17:08] [Combat (Self)] Driver deals 176 (244) Crushing Damage to you with Basic Fighting 2.

Post edited by h4forums on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I always assumed armadillo was all damage, but I never checked because even as all damage it wouldn't be good.
    Having a look today just reads +25/+25 damage resistance. (maybe it always said just that.)
    Personal testing so far.
    No reduction of the defense laser's fire damage in the PowerHouse.
    Did effect damage vs crushing and piercing.

So far proving out the assessments above in the thread that it is not effecting all damage. Which makes the set substantially less useful outside a few situations, considering its other drawbacks.

The other two sets then are more useful with their increase to melee or non-melee damage for example. Still taking a big hit to stats without the mod slots though.
    So nice to find out I have been wasting my Q all these years. =(
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    No offense, but that gear is not really for leveling
    It's honestly not for anything in the current state of the game. At 40, you can buy better stuff off the AH for just a few smashes worth of G, and it costs too much questionite to bother grinding for during the leveling process. The best move is just to just forget it even exists.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • money is not easy to earn in the beginning.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    money is not easy to earn in the beginning.

For everyone who is NEW to this game, I absolutely recommend playing all regular content for your current level. Progress to the next zone only once you've completed the mission chains.

This way, you will have earned gear that is wearable and usable for a long time. Plus, earned items that you can vendor sell-off. Thus earning small amounts of credits.

While any EVENT is going on, absolutely participate in that. There are random drops that you might use and some that you can put in the Auction House (not really an auction) to get more credits.

Current WINTER EVENT has some gear (WINTER this n that and GRANDFATHER this n that) that SCALE to your characters' level. Very nice stuff to level with.

You may not get RICH by doing the above, but I think you'll have fun. Lots of players out there that are helpful with in-game advice. So, don't be shy.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    h4forums wrote: »
    It is sad how often this topic comes up, and people continue to believe the text description over actual tests. All veterans who do their own testing know it is physical damage only, otherwise it would be used a lot more. Everyone can easily test this themselves to confirm.

That's not *really* the point. In every other MMO game I play the Developers would be (metaphorically) deep fried by the Community for promoting the sale of in-game goods with inaccurate descriptions. The Armadillo Set has *always* claimed to be 25% DR across all damage types and if it's not, I'm sure a heck of a lot of Questionite has been wasted as a result. If this is true, Cryptic should fix the error, offer an apology and some form of compensation to anyone who has bought the set in the past.
    aesica wrote: »
    At 40, you can buy better stuff off the AH for just a few smashes worth of G, and it costs too much questionite to bother grinding for during the leveling process.

The AH is a bit pitiful, tbh. The low game population means there's not much by way of decent gear (especially Primary gear) to buy and much of the good stuff is priced to sell to long-term, multi-alt players with lots of resources. That's why the mis-labelling of Q Store gear like Armadillo is so very naughty, it's often quicker to buy off-the-shelf with currencies.