test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 12/9/2021

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited December 2021 in Release Notes
Winter Event
For the next 4 weeks this event will be running!
  • Added Ice Auras (Head) to the event store.
  • Added Swan Armor to the event store.
  • New Mission: Complete Misfit Toys 5 times, grants the Light Necklace.

Reprint Event
  • For the next week all event vendors will be available in the Recognition area.
  • Be sure to spend any remaining event currency you have, as this year's event currency will be retired next year.
  • You can claim 20 event currency from the event contact located in the Recognition area.
  • All mobs can drop all event currency during this event.

Charity Vendor
  • New Perk: Purchasing the Super charity box will grant a title.
  • New Perk: Purchasing the Ultra charity box will grant a title and a character specific costume.

ZEN Store
For the duration of the Winter Event the Ice Hair pack can be claimed for free.
For the next week, the Snow Storm pack is making a return!
  • Cost: 900 ZEN
  • 10x Cosmic Keys of Powers
  • 1x Ski Suit Costume

Powers
Energy Storm
  • Fixed an issue with how this power went on cooldown.

Therakiel's Temple
  • Added a new token as a reward for the daily mission. This token will be used in an upcoming store.

Costumes
  • Sandstorm Chest Layer clipping fix.
  • Spooky Foot Accessories leather material glows.
  • Added Sheer material to Legendary Sentai visors.
​​

Comments

• areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    Can you fix teamup so the auras are shared? I can't always get people with those auras to accept my team invites.
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    Winter Event

Therakiel's Temple
    • Added a new token as a reward for the daily mission. This token will be used in an upcoming store.
    ​​

Seriously, another "exclusive" currency with another "exclusive" store? How many people do you think run this to have access to the store? There is already the Qlipthotic Essence currency that is useless now we get another "upcoming store" ? Gating content even more seems counterproductive to me.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I don't think I need to reiterate the general disgust of a character specific costume unlock, but I will anyway. You can see the PTS patch notes for more gripes with this patch.

I highly suggest you change this to account wide. Not only is there no reason at all for any costume piece to be character specific, it is completely unecessary and will be taken by the community that there will be future character specific costumes. Even if it has been stated that this will not become a regular thing, the refusal to take feedback on this and change it to account-wide will severely hurt the community's trust.

Please, please, please. Please. Reconsider this.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Charity Vendor
    • New Perk: Purchasing the Ultra charity box will grant a title and a character specific costume.
    character specific costume.
    5063d306331a2e96d0cc888da54e2519--fantastic-mr-fox-quotes-fantastic-fox.jpg​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    The "Snow Storm Key Park" typo is back for a second year.
  • elseguard#5205 elseguard Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Winter Event
    For the next 4 weeks this event will be running!
      Charity Vendor
      ​​

DO NOT DO THIS. As Panthrax said, even if this is just looked at as "a harmless one time/very few time" used thing, this is starting down a path that was already starting to get people worried back when character locked auras were introduced.
      Character locked costume pieces were one of the reasons I hated a (D)istant (C)ousin superhero mmo cause its another thing to be less alt-friendly, which is one of the main thing I and im guessing many other players love this game for. We do not need to slip down this slope please.

Also not sure its a bug just a oversight but the redbanner ruin vender only takes drifer salvage and doesnt have a event currency and im not buying 20 boxes worth of salvage to get enough for one of the items which is the only real pieces I wanted since I missed that event.
      Post edited by elseguard#5205 on
    • hallsofwallshallsofwalls Posts: 77 Arc User
      edited December 2021
      There seems to be a bug with the new Charity Vendor perks. When I purchased the Ultra Charity Box, I got the necklace but not the "Heart of Gold" title for buying the box. A minute later, "Charitable" and a few account-wide perks that were apparently still in perk the queue unlocked.

I waited several more minutes but nothing else unlocked, and even bought a second Ultra Charity Box, but still no title. I didn't have this problem on PTS, for what that's worth.

EDIT: I was able to get it on another character. I logged in and waited for 10 minutes in zone before buying it to wait out any perks that were already queued up, and got both "Charitable" and "Heart of Gold" right away.

EDIT 2: Logging back in with the first character and waiting 10 minutes didn't unlock anything by itself, but I did finally get the title after buying a third copy of the box. It's a pretty effective gold sink.
      Post edited by hallsofwalls on
    • kronarg#8777 kronarg Posts: 27 Arc User
      Won't be getting that character only piece on any character due to this
    • originaltygeroriginaltyger Posts: 55 Arc User
      edited December 2021
      Won't be getting that character only piece on any character due to this

If it wasn't 50G I might consider it, but I have 106 characters, which would end up costing over 5000G for a single costume piece. Please make this account wide, it's bad enough titles and emotes are tied to characters.

Winter Event
      Charity Vendor
      ​​

Is nobody else seeing this for what it is? It was made 50G so that we think it's not a big deal. It's meant to slowly make us accept the IDEA of character specific unlocks. Next time it will be more maybe 75 or 100 and so on and so forth. Do not think even for a second that this practice is anything but a scheme. I've seen this in multiple other games, it's the same tactic. You introduce an unpopular "feature" but make it cost very little so people ignore it. Over time, as people get accustomed to it, you raise the price.
    • thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 177 Arc User
      Winter Event
      johntron-no.gif
      >Character-specific costume
      >One of the reasons I quit this game's DC-based competitor to play CO instead
      >The same for a large number of long-standing players I know
      Save it for the auras or we're losing another chunk of our playerbase and payerbase.
      Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
    • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
      nightr0d wrote: »
      Winter Event
      Charity Vendor
      ​​

Is nobody else seeing this for what it is? It was made 50G so that we think it's not a big deal. It's meant to slowly make us accept the IDEA of character specific unlocks. Next time it will be more maybe 75 or 100 and so on and so forth. Do not think even for a second that this practice is anything but a scheme. I've seen this in multiple other games, it's the same tactic. You introduce an unpopular "feature" but make it cost very little so people ignore it. Over time, as people get accustomed to it, you raise the price.

I'd imagine the next lockbox we get will have an ultra rare character specific costume unlock
      edited December 2021
      I will just call this what it is: predatory, exploitative and manipulative. It's takes advantage of people's FOMO (fear of missing out), it exploits people's desire to create different costumes (and thus collect different costumes) and manipulates people into accepting the IDEA of character specific costumes by starting with a relatively unimpressive costume with a small cost (50G). But what happens when they make a costume that is very different/unique worth thousands of G and you have to get that for each character? That's where this is heading.
    • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
      I wouldn't worry about the G cost, they don't make any money on that directly, it's when the character unique costume unlocks are linked with a zen store that you got to worry. Like I'm sure some people can generate G by selling Zen, but if folks are just grinding Q they can't really make money off of that.
    • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
      At least the piece is rather ugly and uninspired, so no big deal for me not to unlock it on any character(s).
      JwLmWoa.png
      Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
      Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
      As it is fairly obvious they are determined to see this character bound foolishness through, I'm just going to pretend the thing doesn't exist.
      Weird. The Red Banner store does not have Right Eye of the Sapphire Dragon available (though all other vendors have mods, many of them nigh useless). Since Hi Pan is the ONLY source of that mod, I kind of expected it to be there for the holidays. Did the Grinch steal them?
      JwLmWoa.png
      Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
      edited December 2021
      IMG_0799.png
      ^Just goes to show this has been a fear the player base has had for a long time, and despite reassurances this fear is now a reality. Also a document of how plans have changed... for the worse.
    • thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 177 Arc User
      edited December 2021
      vonqball wrote: »
      IMG_0799.png

That's from 2017!! How is that relevant? Last time I checked we are almost in 2022.

A lot changes in 4 years so I won't hold that over Kaiserin's head, or any of the devs' heads, (so much as I will whoever's calling the shots because there's no way anyone who's actually played this game would think this is a good idea,) but this is a very, very bad sign of things to come.

So, listen up, management who aren't listening as much as the whole community wishes you'd listen!

We have titles, emotes, transforms, auras of all flavors, gear of varied kinds and devices for character-specific unlocks both for performance and vanity. Let me be clear. Setting more than a handful of negligible costume unlocks to a per-character basis will severely damage this game in the long-run. This game is already in a rough spot; if its core attraction (costume creation) is rendered worthless by forcing people to repeatedly unlock the same costumes just to be able to use them on characters they might not even work on then it will absolutely hemorrhage players, and I personally could not in good faith encourage people to try this game out/join up as newbies if that were to come to pass (and many old hands I've talked to across various channels have spoken of similar.) I'm not saying this as some vague, ominous "we the people say the nay!" threat, but genuinely speaking, this will hurt the game, both in enjoyability and in its income/revenue. A few whales spending more won't make up for the bulk majority of them giving up and bailing out.

Again, if this was just an one-off thing or a weird oddball, it wouldn't be even remotely problematic. At 50G, this doesn't do a good job of being a G sink, and with the costume being so negligible, it gives distinct "just testing the waters to see if we can get away with it without losing our loyal spenders" vibes... which, again, not only I don't like, but many of the other people talking about this. I repeat, this will hurt the game's income and quality of life both.

Personally? If this "character specific costume unlock" craze takes hold, I'm done. Out of here. All my spending as well as the people I try to refer to the game. For a cosmetic-centric game, this'll be the skyscraper that broke the camel's back. Which would hurt me to do, it really would, but I can only put up with so much bad treatment before I'm out.

And honestly, if the issue was a G sink, then there's so, so many better ways to go about it. Out of all I described above, is there not a single thing that clicks here?

Okay, no, hear me out, 10,000 Globals title, Benjamin Franklin green colored, called "The One Percent" that, after being obtained ten times, unlocks account-wide accompanied by a green-and-gold title, also account-wide called "It Prints Money".

Oh, or what about 100 Global Bags with 24 slots each, slightly more than the 7G50N 22-slot bags but less than the weakest event slot bags, and 1000 Global Bags with 26 slots each? Sure, very few people would buy something like the 1kG bags, but some most definitely would without hesitation, and more would spring for 24 slot bags for any extra inventory space they could when, past a certain point, more inventory space is absolutely a necessity.

How about a limited 1-hour Sidekick buyable for 10G, and a permanent version buyable for 1500G, going with a mobster-and-tommygun aesthetic and capable of spawning much weaker, lower-health, short-lived thowaways, the SK and his weak summons called "Capo" and "Associates" respectively?

Why not give us a gear vendor capable of selling, say, a blue primary gearset comparable to Fortuitous for 50G a piece, and a purple secondary gearset comparable to the +20+20 or +37 purple secondaries for 15G a piece? And for that matter, sell R3 single-stat, R3 dual-stat and R3 core mods for 1G a piece, R4s for 5G, and R5s for 25G a piece?

We're at that point, so why not a Phoenix Tear equivalent that costs 5G per use and has a longer cooldown?

What about "Creeping Frost" (Ice,) "Abyssal Gaze" (Dimensional,) "Pyretic Combustion" (Fire,) "Reflection Field" (Crushing,) and "Splintered Vest" (Piercing,) to complete the line-up of specific-threat-mod damage reflection devices for tanks? Have a semi-hidden vendor at their relevant locations selling them for 500G a piece, like... say...
      Creeping Frost's vendor might be hidden behind or possibly inside one of the trees in Lynx's Fold.
      Abyssal Gaze's vendor might be lurking somewhere in Rastrinfhar's Abyss, maybe near or at the base of the Mandragalore, or else possibly on the roof atop Therakiel's Temple?
      Pyretic Combustion's vendor might be tucked away in the volcano on Monster Island, or maybe hiding near the Steel Crusade mission area.
      Reflection Shield's vendor could be, perhaps, spying on the Qularr on Monster Island.
      Splintered Vest's vendor would, as you could probably guess, be lounging about Snake Gulch, mayhaps near a bar close to ASCII Oakley's Open Mission.

Are you really, really desperate to get Gs out of the economy? Add a few low-tier vehicles that can be bought for a few hundred Gs each. Add consumable teleport devices to various locations that cost a few Gs a piece.

My point is, there are options to get Gs out of circulation. Much, much better options than... this. I made all these up on the spot. Surely an entire team of people brainstorming the game they own can do miles better.

Someone reading this comment, please give more ideas. Please. I beg you.

EDIT: oh, by the way, I'd spend 100kG on "It Prints Money". Fear me.
      Post edited by thisiscraftaaa on
      Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
    • Winter Event
      [*] New Perk: Purchasing the Ultra charity box will grant a title and a character specific costume.
      [/list]​​

/NO/. I've put in a lot of hours in CO, but The day that this becomes a regular occurrence is the day i /WILL/ quit champions online for good. Can't help but feel like most of the playerbase will do so too
    • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
      Is nobody else seeing this for what it is?

Nope, it's only you. That's why everyone in this thread and the PTS thread overwhelmingly approves of character-specific unlocks.
    • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
      > @vonqball said:
      >

What a sadly perfect picture of how things have changed since then. Regardless, there are countless better ways to make a quick buck than single-character costume pieces. You can get really REALLY downright lazy and crude about it too. You could repackage existing NPC emotes and costumes; you can sell individual colors to add to the tailor; you could make every new material cost a premium for each costume piece. You could do so much scuzzy stuff to make ends meet.

And you chose the worst possible thing, charcter specific costume pieces.

The reason my Gs keep piling up is that there is nothing in the game I want to buy with it. The Devs need to inviest some thought into bigger ticket items that I don't have to buy via the AH.
      JwLmWoa.png
    • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
      Purchased the Ultra Charity box. Still haven't received the perk.

I'm still holding the necklace. Does it have to be used to unlock the perk?

My posts seems to get removed, good job with the censorship! This is ridiculous.
    • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
      The fact is that this is called Charity at all baffles me still, what kind of Charity, what for? With in game money? I say it again in my last post that got deleted.

You guys are out of touch with reality and how games work, because you're not playing and the skeletal Dev crew we have. I ask again what happened to Kaels announcement of playing for once, did he yet? Do you guys even know how the game feels? Or you just bow to your overlords and keep deleting any negative criticism you're not liking here.

I really hate PW since they have taken over. Feel free to delete this too because I know you will. If you go through with this and continue such, YOU are responsible for this games' death. I had much hope back then when you joined the Devs Kaiserin because you did care, clearly, now you are another goon for them.

This is my sincerely opinion on you and the games state, as much I love it, **** PWE. I am so tired of cooperations ruining games so much these days, and people ask me why i not buy any new games anymore, because they even ruin older games also due to greed, see Warcraft 3 and GTA for recent example.
    • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
      Be sure to spend any remaining event currency you have, as this year's event currency will be retired next year.​​
      I have a very silly hope that this is due to you introducing a single unified Event currency promoting less grind, but my expectation is that you're looking to make events even grindier than they are now. Events have had a tendency to get grindier every year, which is really discouraging for me as a casual player and one of the main reasons I've been playing less and less as time has gone by.

character specific costume.​​
      But even with my gripe above, this is the worst idea ever.

I already have a hard time justifying putting any further money into the game with everything new being more and more lootbox focused, but character specific costumes would break any remaining incentives to do so.
    • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
      edited December 2021
      XrQdEQI.png

Why should players believe the second post given that the first one was backtracked on?
      zrdRBy8.png
      Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    • nightr0d wrote: »
      My posts seems to get removed, good job with the censorship! This is ridiculous.

Yeah I'm sure Big Brother is out to get you
    • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
      But it's for chawity... Yeah every body that complain about the charity vender just shows the lack of empathy in human society. LoL. Neat concept.
      nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
      The fact is that this is called Charity at all baffles me still, what kind of Charity, what for? With in game money? I say it again in my last post that got deleted.

Yeah, this being for charity is pretty ironic.... :#

Throw my vote into the "hat of disgust" for this idea.
      edited December 2021

Reprint Event
      • For the next week all event vendors will be available in the Recognition area.
      • Be sure to spend any remaining event currency you have, as this year's event currency will be retired next year.
      • You can claim 20 event currency from the event contact located in the Recognition area.
      • All mobs can drop all event currency during this event.

Instead of making all currency drop from mobs. Turn Winter Charms to universal exchangeable currency for the first week.
      speanoz wrote: »

The charity is not for you the players. You are the hero and is to give to the homeless. Further more it's not even that great a Costume piece to splurge over.
      edited December 2021
      speanoz wrote: »

Maybe we could do an actual charity event for Christmas? A "charity-themed" veneer over a test run for increased monetization leaves a bad taste in my mouth too.

edited December 2021
      I can furthermore express that just giving players 20 token a a day just to log in then log out is not a productive method of playing. It doesn't mean they will stay online longer. Rather than letting them farm extra Charms and convert it to other currency.

Also move reprint to the last week and not the first.

The rate of maybe 10 random token an hour of farming mobs is insanity. And doesn't make sense to be present at all.
      I can furthermore express that just giving players 20 token a a day just to log in then log out is not a productive method of playing. It doesn't mean they will stay online longer. Rather than letting them farm extra Charms and convert it to other currency.

I'm collecting my 20 Circus Malvanum tokens each day on 36 characters. That's 4 Brute Force mods x 36 x 7 = 1008 mods. Now I can use the Q that I'd normally spend on those mods to get more Zen.
      JwLmWoa.png
    • originaltygeroriginaltyger Posts: 55 Arc User
      You know, if buying the necklace meant that the dev team or PW or whoever donated $5 to an actual charity, like Child's Play or something, I could actually get behind that. I'd only buy it once or twice, but at least it's actual charity.