test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Marvel "AAA" MMO

superwavessuperwaves Posts: 34 Arc User
My bad if this was already discussed, but what are everyone's thoughts on the new AAA Marvel MMO? The same epopel behind DCUO does not give much hope the game will be a hit. The last hit superhero mmo jack had was shutdown (Prematurely some may say), good game nonetheless.

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Marvel just can't keep it's games alive.
    'Nuff said.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • renegade0renegade0 Posts: 118 Arc User
    There's no telling. I'm still confused by DCUO's design choices both for how their powers work and how their costumes and the colors work. It's so limited and restrictive for no reason.

And I personally like DC far more than Marvel, so i'm not really looking forward to it personally, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'd rather see sequel to Champions or City Heroes by Cryptic, lol. Or even a new super hero IP by Cryptic. it seems like there should have been a lot more interest in Super Hero games where you make your own character within the last 10 years.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    This will be Marvel's third attempt. CO was originally supposed to be a Marvel MMO, but Marvel backed out, believing the market was too saturated and the game wouldn't do well. They tried again with their now dead "Marvel Heroes" game. Now they're using the DCUO devs to make a new one? Either third time's a charm for them, or it'll be dead in the water again.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Honest opinion, it is another sell the brand/name situation. Quick cash grab with minor effort. Companies are not like "we want to create a nice gameplay and world" anymore, the CEO's which not even know basics of games and enjoyment decide what goes, and all that counts is how much money it can make in a short time with not much effort.

I prefer no name products or lesser known one like CO here than any big name, I am tired personally of seeing the next big "insert Star Wars, Marvel, or any other big name" game or installment.

Some franchises, names and companies are way overtime to die out finally. Make way for new stuff with more freedom and imagination, licenses only regulate you and at worse piss off "hardcore" fans.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    They just trying to ride the avengers success wave as far as they can. That doesn't mean their game will be great. Regardless I still think they will have less customization and strictly marvel.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    "Be the Hero you've allways wanted to be. And you don't even have to make one, we'll do it for you."
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    According to the website, they want to base their character customization off of a mix of Star Citizen and City of Heroes, specifically noting CoH and showing off it's old creator. Stating that CoH "was touted as the revolution in Character Creation, many critics claims this is the only reason the game lasted as long as it did." Personally, I feel CO far surpasses CoH in every way when it comes to Character Customization.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    And the gfx on COH are eyesore trash by these times. I think some people are still playing it on private servers, though.
    [NbK]XStorm
    Homecoming FTW!
    Or thats what i've heard people say...