test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help with cosmics mechanics

Kiga wasn't a problem but I did my 1st Ape and Dino today and I'm having trouble figuring out how not to die as DPS

Ape:
I know where to stand and I block before his "BOOM" tell and continue to block until I move out of the fire patch. A few times though something else got me and I haven't figured out what. And also, what's that yellow circle/cylinder that appears around me?

Dino: I spent most of this dying. I'm situated where the guide says I'm supposed to be and I block for the huge yellow bubble. But again like with Ape, something else keeps getting me and I don't know what it is?
Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Dino has yellow and green bubbles. You have to block them both. Ape goes after players with low HPs, so make sure you are always topped up.

Block early. ASAP. Also, don't release the block too early. You just have to get the timing down. It's prefectly possible to surivive both those encounters with a 5k-6k character.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    "what killed me?" -> respawn to be away from battle, switch to your combat tab, and figure out what happened there. often this helps because you might miss the attack fisuals. Usually the name of the attack is self-explanatory although sometimes it glitches with "unknown attack".
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Ape:
    I know where to stand and I block before his "BOOM" tell and continue to block until I move out of the fire patch. A few times though something else got me and I haven't figured out what. And also, what's that yellow circle/cylinder that appears around me?

Ape will throw fireballs at random (usually low HP players) There isnt a tell or warning, though there is a fast animation you might see if you are lucky. He usually does this right after the boom/firepatch. So just hold down block an extra second or two and that should help most of the time.

The small yellow circles are meteors that drop from the sky. You can move out of the circle, or you can block. If you don't you will get damaged and knocked. The damage can be an issue if it happens right before the Boom, as you won't have time to top off HP. The knock can also mess up blocking the boom, and depending on your position, can knock you into the front of ape with the tanks. Best to make sure to block it, or get out of it.
    Dino: I spent most of this dying. I'm situated where the guide says I'm supposed to be and I block for the huge yellow bubble. But again like with Ape, something else keeps getting me and I don't know what it is?

The arcs for the breath and for the tail swipes are bigger then you think. Make sure you are out of them. Also, if you are melee dps, and the baby tank isn't well positioned, you may be getting hit by the baby's tail.

Block all the bubbles.
    - The green one. Block early and hold it till you see the spikes. If the spikes aren't blocked, its a very nasty DoT.
    - The yellow jumping one. Block it. Will knock you back and do decent damage.
    - The roar. If you see the yellow bubble, block EARLY to prevent the hold. If you block early enough, you can avoid being held, and let up on the block towards the end of the roar and get some hits in. If not, Just stay blocking till the hold wears off.
    - If he roars and there is no bubble, thats the DPS check. Unload.

Note, Baby has the same bubbles as momma, just less powerful, but they still need to be blocked. HOWEVER, once the DPS check starts, the baby's bubble attack will not harm you, so you can attack full on during the check. One momma starts attacking again, start blocking them again.
    (there is an occasional bad timing where the baby starts an attack just before the DPS check starts. In that case the baby's attack will hit. Doesnt happen very often, but you will get the feel for it eventually)

Short answer, For dino, block early and often. The only time DPS really matters is during the check. otherwise, just try to slip in an attack between blocks till you get the feel for it.

• spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Just wanted to add; don't give up! Dino and Ape can keep you on your toes but they get easier.

Also, Ape's flaming fireball is AoE. So sometimes he'll hit someone near you that takes you out as well. If you have a self heal, use it after moving out of the fire patch to try to top off your health.
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Oh, forgot my favorite tip. Zoom out your camera and change the camera angle to a overhead view. Makes it much easier to see bubbles etc, and make sure your positioning is right. (ok, its not as fun or immersive as the near first person over the shoulder view, but much easier on big group content like this.)
  • omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    Things have improved quite a lot now, looks like not understanding the block timing well enough was the biggest culprit, thanks everyone
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Block.
    [NbK]XStorm