test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why take a Form based on a secondary superstat?

I've seen this occasionally where some people will choose a toggle form that scales of a stat that they have as a secondary superstat instead of their PSS. And then they stack all their gear into that secondary superstat. I'm just curious why? What scenarios would this be more beneficial than just having your PSS be what your toggle form scales with, and stacking that?
Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    PSS trees don't just offer options that can scale w/ your PSS, and some options even explicitly scale w/ just 2ndary SSs (Brutality, 6th Sense, Moment of Need, etc). You generally should take a PSS tree for it's own tree's options, and not just cause you want to make it your main stat focus (for example, many tanks getting Str PSS despite stacking Con, and for Juggernaut). Those two things can align, ofc, but they don't have to. The only major rule is that your toggle/form's scaling stat of choice should be SS'd somewhere, PSS or SSS doesn't often matter as much since you gain general role and passive bonuses when gearing for SSs either way.

You do have to make sure that your PSS's tree choices align accordingly w/ your stat focus choices, though. A common example is getting 3/3 in 6th Sense for Ego PSS if a 2ndary SS (like Dex) is the main stat, vs. getting 2/3 in 6th Sense and 3/3 in Follow Through if Ego is the main stat instead.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    gotcha, that sounds a little like advanced build-fu for me so for now I think I'll just stick with taking forms that scale off my PSS
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Eh, it's not really that advanced, imo- it's more just getting used to a change in mentality w/ respect to valuing SSs in general, instead of mainly the PSS (since it's natural when starting out to think that the stat labeled 'Primary' must be the most important thing), and being able to assess the value of a PSS's spec tree on its own merits. Changing that mentality will prob come more naturally as you experiment around w/ builds and different stat setups more.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Shameless self promoting.

If you look at my reference sheet at https://bit.ly/co-reference

There is a tab for "Stat Spec Tree Notes" That helps make it clearer which specs are based on what stats or factors. Might help make it clearer where a secondary stat helps more then a primary.
  • piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    gotcha, that sounds a little like advanced build-fu for me so for now I think I'll just stick with taking forms that scale off my PSS

Just think of it like this - "primary" super stat is a bad name that's a leftover from before spec trees. Ignore it. Think of it instead as Spec Tree Stat - it's only purpose is which spec/mastery you want. Often times it ends up being the lowest stacked stat because it's only purpose is, for example, letting "secondary" stats boost critical severity which would let Dex do double duty raising crit chance AND crit severity at once so you can invest in a single stat instead of splitting your points/gains. Not always, but it happens.