test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why i think Talisman needs a nerf.

diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Suggestions Box

She's the first boss in the storyline missions that you run into (atleast for me) and yet
when using a FF-dps with almost 9k health and drainheal, she melts my face almost instantly
with her bombarment of spells.
Her Ebon Rift seems to do about 4-5dmg per tick and there's no way to move away from it
unless you have Teleport. I've tried flying away from it and it caused my character to simply
rubberband back into the rift, taking full damage because i wasn't blocking.

There is no way to avoid the Edon Rift as she also spawns it for FULL FORCE instantly,
apparently she doesn't need to channel the power for full effect, which imo is total BS .

And her charge *boom* spells is almost instant as well and hits for several thousands of damage
which will either kill you in combination with the damage already taken from Ebon Rift, or she will
just finish the job with some other spells

Out of all the FF-builds i have, there's only 2 that can kill her without dying several times themselves
and that's either a Tank (17k health) or my Tenebrous with very strong drainhealing.

There has been a lot of comments and opinions about this fight in the chat when bringing this up
and the general opinion is that Talisman's spells are entierly too powerful for a content that
lowlvls players without gear probably without heals have to face early on in these missions.

I had an Unleashed AT fully geared with Merc and i couldn't get passed her Ebon Rift...
it would literally instakill my Unleashed.. Now remade into a FF by improving the Unleashed.
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    Its mainly difficult to escape if you use flight as tp, since flight speed in combat is so bad. With ground based tps, its not too difficult to block and move out of the ebon rift.
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    h4forums wrote: »
    Its mainly difficult to escape if you use flight as tp, since flight speed in combat is so bad. With ground based tps, its not too difficult to block and move out of the ebon rift.

Even when blocking Rank3, moving slowly (very very slowly due to drag) out of the rift will still
    reduce your healthpool to a puddle, easily snuffed out by her blast.. block or not.

Her burst damage is simply too strong for any character that doesnt' have strong healing or tankability.

So... i just fought Talisman on my new toon.

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=37&n=Experimental%20Munitions&d=14380o4UQPTd0M30308000870H8B038D008N048O038S03AA009D03ON00AC007D058F03K5030maT0CAT3BIR11200000000&e=

And i started the fight with debuffing her then just pew pew until i saw her casting stuff, then she instacasted
    a hold out of the blue which i didn't have time to block so.. i was held, then came her *boom* which took
    roughly 4k out of my health.

I'm now down to 3k health and popping Conviction and i succeed in forcing her into her bubble,
    however.. just as she spawns inside her bubble and summons her minions, she summons
    the EBON RIFT inside the bubble. And because the Ebon Rift's pull is so hard, my character is now
    literally stuck getting sucked into the bubble and i have to block while her entire army is slowly chipping
    away at what is left of my 3k health.

After the Ebon Rift has faded, i'm left with a sliver of health and both my conviction and Resurg is on CD,
    and this is where my first death happens...

I spawn back in.... having to listen to Dr KA's rambling again, i fly to Talisman and engage her again,
    starting with debuffing then pew pew. This time she doens't spawn Ebon Rift and instead bubbles
    herself and summons the army of vampires which does a TON of damage, with spamming Conviction
    i barely kill them and get my health back up somewhat with another conviction before i continue shooting Talisman.

A blocked *boom* attack from her left me almost dead, but i defeated her without a second death... just barely.

Her Ebon Rift's pull is waaaay to powerful. There simply is no way you walk away from it, not unless you
    have a spec that makes you immune to snares while blocking.

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    I do not seem to have faced the same experience with Talisman, even though I do not think I ever faced her at lvl.40.
    Nevertheless, killing her on a dps without much AoE to take care of her minions quickly is a bit of an hassle.

While your build seems ok, I would just swap Execution Shot (it's melee) for Holdout Shot (with the heal advantage), go with MSA for an energy unlock (you trigger it with Holdout Shot and Conviction), and swap the Particle Smash for Lead Tempest (to get a better AoE for Trash mobs).

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    While most of my toons not have an issue with her, I agree she needs to be nerfed, this is ridiculous for a supposed 1-man mission since it not shows as 2-5 like others would, like the crypts. Her able to stack Devoid to absolutely no ends is dumb, same goes for most of those Serial enemies as well in my opinion. Difficulty is fine, but this is just number difficulty again, no strategy or meaning to use your environment or so.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Talisman can be a little tougher than some. Flight can be great for a lot of fights but not so much in this one as you mentioned. The OP has Super Speed and I'd probably enter the fight using that over flight. If someone has flight only, it may be worth trying just turning it off and using regular movement while blocking and moving away from her Ebon Rift.

For me, sidekick/henchman devices helped for the vampire mobs to aggro on when they first appear. There are relatively cheap temp sidekick/henchman devices in the Recognition building. Healing Pots can help too.

For the OP's build, I'd consider switching to Ego PSS and Con/End SSS while leveling and then deciding if you want to change that up once you're level forty and have decent gear. The Ego specializations include Force of Will for some additional defense that comes in handy. It looks like you may have a Pulp Sci-fi Ray Gun build. If so, you could consider sticking with the Int PSS and switching to MSA for your energy unlock. If you're using a lot of other Munitions powers, it may be worth it. If you're focusing on using the Pulp Sci-fi Ray Gun more, I'd swap in Chest Beam somewhere to apply Burn Through and proc the Unified Theory Energy Unlock along with or in place of Particle Smash.

I'd take The Rush of Battle in the Vindicator tree over Aggressive Stance for some extra healing. If you were to get Justice or Distinguished endgame gear, you could always switch back to Aggressive Stance then but probably not worth it during leveling. Also, Aggressive Stance doesn't increase your Defense with any of the extra Offense provided by The best Defense specialization. Along the same lines, I would probably take the points from Vindicator's Modified Gear and put them into Mass Destruction to increase Crit chance over Offense.

For a little more survivability while leveling, I'd also take a rank out of Lock N Load and put it into Resurgence.

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    My biggest issue is with how the Enemies' Ebon Rift now overperforming, and basically the player's version of Ebon Rift is piss poor joke compare the NPC Version but thats another story

It's a power that DEFINITELY needs to be tuned down for the sake of rank 3 Flight characters!
    from my Experience from soloing QWZ and the mission which includes Talisman,

Now in QWZ against Dark Disciples is more forgiving thanks to the open space and the limited range its being summoned! But against Talisman boss fight the the closed room it's a nightmare

Ebon Rift
    • Incredible Vacuum pull
    • Innate movement debuff that stacks more than 5 times
    • Characters with Rank 3 Flight are basically TRAPPED compared to Acrobatics and Superspeeds, because the Vacuum's speeds outperforms the in-battle flight speed which also gets hit by the Stagger debuff

I already have only 5 Ranged characters whose primary Travel Power is rank 3 flight, but two of them happen to be one of my favs and no, I'm getting super speed for them!

Flight is already a freaking with how the endgame threats it, Ebon Rift just insults it even further​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I only do those missions once I get to 40. No reason for me to do so until then since I mainly do them for the SCR. I don't usually use flight travel powers inside, but all my flying characters have some sort of reasonable ground movement power anyway.

I used to have trouble with her with some of my DPS builds (she's cake for my tank and healing builds), but then I started to use sidekicks and temporary/permanent summons devices on her. I let them get aggro, then attack. No problems after that.

When the vamps spawn I like to go to a corner and take down the first wave fast with a good AoE, by the time the second group gets to me the first group is mostly gone. I also found it useful to leave 1 vampire standing around until my Resurgence was off CD. Once it's ready I go after Talisman again and pop Resurgence again if the Rift gets to be too much. I also make sure that my next healing potion is ready, just in case. Rinse and repeat. That gets me through the rift pretty much every time.

Probably Lead Tempest on the OP's build would make it easier?

I usually die the first few times on a new DPS build, but after I figure out the right strategy I don't find her especially tough.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    avianos wrote: »
    My biggest issue is with how the Enemies' Ebon Rift now overperforming, and basically the player's version of Ebon Rift is piss poor joke compare the NPC Version but thats another story​​

Not to get me started on how almost every NPC seems to have superior attacks compared to us. It makes sense for bosses, but considering every freaking enemy has a hold, knock or whatever that breaks even our blocks by now, makes the whole game mechanic as a whole a mess. Or abilities we can't use like them, for example, Sigils being cast around the target instead of around you. Or the Eldritch Blast knocking high away while ours only has a CHANCE to root.

The Resistance buffs we got not help also, due either they often not count or not work properly, except for the enemies, even if they are only knocked a centimeter while still performing their attack. I mean, I even had a hold resistance buff stack to 4 once (considering 3 is the limit, so not even that works properly) and still got held.

I know this will never happen, and I know a lot will say "it removes the challenge" but, every enemy needs a rework and only special enemies should be able to hold and/or knock. The mechanic in itself is good for bosses, I say, but makes them less special if most other and almost every enemy can do it and seem to be far stronger than any of the bosses with it.
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    I'll second this, it's easily the hardest fight in that questline. The enemy holds and stuns are too annoying, and I think, too effective.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    She's really hard to fight and I love it.

More tough supervillains plz.
    She's really hard to fight and I love it.

More tough supervillains plz.

That's what the difficulty setting should be for, an option is always nicer than a forced one. And don't start with "but they never learn if not the hard way" this mentality has to stop, not everyone is the same, same when people refused Dark Souls getting an easy setting, nothing stops you from playing hard still.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    Would love difficulty setting, but in terms of "too hard" I don't find that her increase has reached "too hard" for normal players.

In general I support the increased Time To Kill or combat length increases.

DPS has gotten so high that all other roles don't serve purpose in regular setting PvE content
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    DPS has gotten so high that all other roles don't serve purpose in regular setting PvE content
    The way you make other roles serve a purpose is by creating bosses that DPS cannot beat, because dps will always be the fastest way to beat anything that can be beaten by dps.
    edited November 2021
    The way you make other roles serve a purpose is by creating bosses that DPS cannot beat, because dps will always be the fastest way to beat anything that can be beaten by dps.

Beating something fastest is not always funnest :D . I always enjoy taking Talisman down with a healer. Not fasest, but rewarding.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    Making a boss too hard to beat alone for certain builds in a game with such a low player base is unwise.

Can we at least have SOME form of comment about these issues with Talisman being outright
    impossible for some builds to kill !?.
    Been beating her consistently of late with a Dex-Rec-Con TK Blade build and an Int-Dex-Con Muni/Archery build. Maybe post the HeroCreator versions of the builds that are having a hard time because I honestly don't have much trouble with her after a few tries and I work out a strategy. Personally, I find soloing the worms in the QWZ more of a pain then her.

E.g. the TK build blocks and stays at a distance until the rift appears, then lunges in to do damage (now away from the rift) until the mobs spawn. Then I stun and AoE the mobs. Sometimes I will leave a single mob around and block if I had to use Resurgence or a heal potion earlier and those are on CD. Once one of those is back up I kill the mob and go after Talisman again. Rinse and repeat.
    JwLmWoa.png