test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black and white powers

cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
I want 'em.

Comments

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Only ones we really get are Flight Powers like Dark Speed, Radiant or Shadow Phoenix Flight, etc. At best, Power replacer items. The system can't handle white and dark very well if it would be a color option. Black and White are often requested, but were always denied.
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    Well they can mark this down as yet another request. Gives them more incentive to spend time to fix the problem if more people want it.
    The system can't handle white and dark very well if it would be a color option.
    ...wait a second. How would you know?

cbob312 wrote: »
    The system can't handle white and dark very well if it would be a color option.
    ...wait a second. How would you know?

It was stated way back then, when we even had far more devs.
    Was this before we had black and white auras? Because I have both. That's what prompted this request actually.
    Was this before we had black and white auras? Because I have both. That's what prompted this request actually.

Yes, those are specifically made Devices and Powers, as stated in my first comment, like Dark Speed and Radiant Phoenix Flight. But making all powers colorable in white and black on demand won't happen simply. Devices and Specific Powers as stated will be probably still. The issue is then adding power colors is them needing to go through every power and every area to see if those colors could cause issues in any way. And for that we not have the dev team at all. PTS they only add things ONE day before patch, so testing is non-existing also on the player base. And even then when we report things it is a very rare chance of it getting even getting any response of them at all.

Believe me, I am all in for more customization. But I simply stay realistic. I am in this game for I think 11-12 years now and seen it develop or rather stagger. Still love it, but some things simply will stay a dream. I mean, you are not the first and last requesting this, yet nothing ever happened to it. I try to stay civilized and honest simply in this, but, what makes you think your voice or another request will suddenly make it magically happen? Furthermore, I suggest simply have a look at the Forum history of suggestions in general, then compare what changed in game truly connected to such requests.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    You could always search the forums for older threads like yours asking for this. More detailed explantions can be found that way.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User
    It's a good request and understandable that you may not be aware of similar requests in the past. The Devs have said it's not a small undertaking to accomplish and I don't know that they'll commit their limited time to make that happen vs the other work they're doing but it would be nice if it were to happen.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYOL84GKa-WpuwamyhDOoHxvrnEXV9soYm9urvlajipOMHAfw2IL1udK5kXajV9OdwT50&usqp=CAU

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Furthermore, I suggest simply have a look at the Forum history of suggestions in general, then compare what changed in game truly connected to such requests.

I've made a request that made it into the game, although in a different form. I don't see how this being unlikely to be followed up on translate into you coming in to shoot down my request.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    You could always search the forums for older threads like yours asking for this. More detailed explantions can be found that way.
    If we did that eventually nothing would be asked for and they'd think no one wanted anything else. No thanks.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    Never say never. Maybe in the next 5-10 years.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Furthermore, I suggest simply have a look at the Forum history of suggestions in general, then compare what changed in game truly connected to such requests.

I've made a request that made it into the game, although in a different form. I don't see how this being unlikely to be followed up on translate into you coming in to shoot down my request.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    If we did that eventually nothing would be asked for and they'd think no one wanted anything else. No thanks.

Umm, that there have been regular requests over the years shows that players are intersted in this as an option (I know I am). The earlier threads that I mention explain that the game engine as it stands can't handle this (unless, of course, we have been lied to by CO). Not sure if continually asking for the impossible makes it more likely.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Never say never. Maybe in the next 5-10 years.

I'll still be here.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The basic issue is that their system for power colors only allows changing hue, and to get black and white you need to adjust saturation and brightness. All black and white powers are manually created variants.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    The basic issue is that their system for power colors only allows changing hue, and to get black and white you need to adjust saturation and brightness. All black and white powers are manually created variants.

This.

And because they are working with what they call "Spaghetti Code" with very few devs, the only way they could make powers Black and White would be to take the existing power and make a duplicate that is only black, and another duplicate that is only white. So you'd be stuck with a massive list containing 3 different version of the exact same power, just to get Black, White, and Colorable powers. That's why we have so many auras that come in only black, only white, and colorable versions, instead of just one aura that's customizable.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »
    And because they are working with what they call "Spaghetti Code" with very few devs.
    They don't have programmers on team at all, software development is a different team... that isn't normally focused on CO. There's a reason mega-magnifiers spent something like two years on PTS.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    Would such a move make many Darkness powers and buffs kind of obsolete?

Ebon Ruin vs Defile or something like that?

Player User experience/interface design when they see a black powered blast has always translated specific information correlated to the darkness power set.

Just thinking the proposal out loud but perhaps adding white as a color option is less of an issue than black.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I have many different darkness builds and I know that darkess is limited to choices. They could just add more power choices to the smaller frames like I said before. Ebon ruin the only main single attack for darkess and all, so how about another 2. But fire has fireball, rimefire and incinerator.

But being able to change powers color to black changes transparency and what not. If they change that they destroy millions of costumes in-game and mess up a whole other bunch of things.

Maybe a drop down window could be added that is not part of the color choices but like as choosing the difference summon looks. These options only say color, or black or white that overrides or replace the color with a reskin.

Or maybe an aura that that changes color effects to black or white. I don't know what they can do im not a dev. I know they have auras that changes ego to Id blade.

If someone was working in these things it would be done already but they are clearly not concerned. Playing CO is like inventing the internet or a plane. You thought it wasn't possible then 'suprise' they can do it all along.
    Post edited by metalheart#4270 on
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix