test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Robotics Mastermind

dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Builds and Roles
One of my favorite things to play in CoV was the Robotics Mastermind. Here is a build I came up with based on that. Let me know how it is. For clarification the Robotics Mastermind was a powerset based on building an army of robots to do most of your fighting. The powerset included two energy rifle attacks, a "Photon Grenade", the ability to summon multiple, small robots, a larger, powerful robot, some repair drones, and the ability to upgrade all your bots to make them stronger, as well as repairing them yourself.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
v3.44:37

Super Stats
Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
Level 10: Presence (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
Level 9: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
Level 12: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Particle Rifle
Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Concentration
Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2)
Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 17: Incendiary Grenade (Scorched Ground)
Level 20: Munitions Bots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Sonic Boom Generator (Rank 2)
Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 32: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 35: Mechanical Monstrosity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Hover Disk (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations
Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
Overseer: Overseer Aura (3/3)
Overseer: Impact (2/2)
Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
Overseer: Enhanced Gear (1/3)
Commander: Evasive Action (1/2)
Commander: Rapid Response (2/2)
Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Durable (1/3)
Commander: Savage (1/3)
Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Devices
Slot 1: Dr. Destroyer's Head
Slot 2: Loyal Sidekick: R.O.D.
Slot 3: Primus Spark Shield
Slot 4: Voltanic Potential
Slot 5: Portable Robot Factory

This build is meant to take the old CoV powerset to a new level, with a larger robot army. The Munitions Bots and Portable Robot Factory device represent the smaller, weaker combat robots. The Support Drones and the Dr. Destroyer's Head device represent your mid level drones. The Ritual of Arcane Summoning, Mechanical Monstrosity, and the Loyal Sidekick: R.O.D. device represent your big, heavy hitter robots. The Sonic Boom Generator is meant to represent the "Photon Grenade" since it was an energy grenade fired from your gun. Conviction and Incendiary Grenade are there not just for the heals and bonus AoE damage, respectively, but also as quick triggers for MSA. The Primus Spark Shield and Voltanic Potential devices are optional devices I tossed in because they fit the theme of the character I'm planning on trying this build on. Also, they help with dishing out some passive AoE damage. I put in Presence as a SS because I know it used to effect the max health of your pets. Not sure if that's been changed or not.

This build is meant for soloing, Alerts, and some group play, but not designed for Cosmic farming.

Quick Edit: I didn't include Attack Toys, as it didn't fit the theme I was going for.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Pres doesn't directly boost pet health anymore, though it being an SS will help pets in general, and Pres can still scale up slotted passive aura effects on pets and allies. I'm not sure how much you want to emphasize your own dps vs. the pet/support aspect here, but I'll assume it's more of a mix (hybrid) build. I may also consider replacing the fire grenade w/ another cd power- Medical Arrow could be pretty nice here, if it's okay for the theme:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Hybrid)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents

Powers
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 17: Medical Arrow (Illuminate, USB Arrow)
    Level 20: Munitions Bots
    Level 26: Sonic Boom Generator (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Mechanical Monstrosity (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Energy Shield (Rank 2)

Travel Powers
    Level 35: Mach Speed (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Grandeur (2/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)

Devices

You can't directly heal your pets, but you do have some passive healing sources, and you can always just re-summon the pets if they die. I took Vindicator spec as more of a dps option here, but it could be replaced w/ a different spec, depending on your priorities. Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Pres and Con.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    I'm totally fine with replacing Incendiary grenade with another CD power. I built it in HeroCreator, and only a handful of powers actually say they had a CD on there, so I was just working off that. It is meant to be a hybrid for soloing, and support for grouping. I went with AoPM because I thought it would boost the damage of my pets as well as teammates, along with my own.
    edited October 2021
    AoPM is still fine as an option (as are a number of other passives), though you won't be pumping up your Pres as much here since you took Conc and MSA (and both scale w/ Int), which means your aura won't be as strong. You will boost your personal dps (and energy + maxHP) a bit more w/ it (though AoED is overall a better dps aura, esp for pet builds), so it's up to you if you still want it or not.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited October 2021
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

After going back and looking at it, I somehow completely missed the "Scales with Presence" part of the description. Boy do I feel dumb
    Just an update. I was hesitant to go with the Medical Nanites SP build, because I used them a long time ago and didn't like them. However, I gave it a shot, since it is theme appropriate, and it's working out better than expected.
    edited November 2021
    Yea, Med Nanites is a pretty decent support passive, since it also gives a minor amount of dmgRes to and allies (on top of the healing aura). Glad to hear it's working for you.
  • rhymere#3035 rhymere Posts: 486 Arc User
    I switched my main to flow's build and it feels just like a bots MM. I haven't had this much fun since before COH closed down. Thanks Flow!
    Glad to hear it's working well for you too 8)
    edited November 2021
    Would this work for an electrical version of this build?

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Electric Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 6: Electrical Current (Rank 2, Bad Wiring)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 26: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Mechanical Monstrosity (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices

Edited for stupidity
    Post edited by rhymere#3035 on
    edited November 2021
    Would this work for an electrical version of this build? (...)
    Yea, that build can potentially work fine as is, although it could be nice to further optimize LArc's dps w/ the NI debuff being on the target (and using Elec Current for that against single-targets isn't too efficient). For another NI source, you could add in something like Ball Lit (w/ Triplicity adv), Electrocute (w/ Superconductor adv), or taps of TStrike, but then you'd have to make room for such a power. It's up to you if you want to do that or not.
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Would this work for an electrical version of this build? (...)
    Yea, that build can potentially work fine as is, although it could be nice to further optimize LArc's dps w/ the NI debuff being on the target (and using Elec Current for that against single-targets isn't too efficient). For another NI source, you could add in something like Ball Lit (w/ Triplicity adv), Electrocute (w/ Superconductor adv), or taps of TStrike, but then you'd have to make room for such a power. It's up to you if you want to do that or not.

Here's what I got:

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Mechanical Monstrosity (Rank 2)
    Level 6: Electric Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 14: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity)
    Level 26: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Concentration
    Level 38: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices
    Eh, I'm not sure about replacing the spammable AoE either. I assume if you fight mostly trash then you'll still want something like Elec Current in there. Then you could maybe still get by w/o another NI source and just keep to your original setup- it just won't be quite as strong in longer single-target/boss fights.
    edited November 2021
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Eh, I'm not sure about replacing the spammable AoE either. I assume if you fight mostly trash then you'll still want something like Elec Current in there. Then you could maybe still get by w/o another NI source and just keep to your original setup- it just won't be quite as strong in longer single-target/boss fights.

What would you replace? I rend to use medical arrow more than conviction so maybe drop conviction? Then again I almost never use resurg...
    Up to you, really. If you aren't doing content that heavily emphasizes blocking then you could replace the block enhancer. Replacing one of the other healing powers is another option, like you said. I guess it'll just come down to your own experience and the content you run to determine whether one of the powers is not as important for you to keep. You could always train such a power (and any of its advs) last if you think that you might want to replace it later.
    I'm glad to see this is inspiring more creative builds.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Dialamx, mind if I ask the character concept? I mean, the person, not the build.
    Sure. One of my favorite characters to play in City of Villains was my robotics mastermind named Dr. Victor Reinhardt. His original story was that he was a scientist obsessed with perfecting himself by any means necessary. He joined the (WW2 German forces we're not allowed to mention anymore), not because he believed in their views and ideals, but because they had what he needed to pursue his experiments. He always thought genetic manipulation was the key, but advancements in technology changed his mind, and he started working with robotics. He was a character I created as a kid, to be the main villain of two of my heroes. Originally the villain of my hero character, Psi-Blade (a hero who can create psionic blades from his hands). He attempts to use his expertise in genetics to make a clone of Psi-Blade, in order to defeat him. Unable to replicate the hero's powers, he's forced to alter the clone with Cybernetics, creating Cy-Clone (Cybernetic Clone). However, Psi-Blades heroic traits eventually manifest in the clone, and he joins the hero to try to stop Reinhardt.

Since CO doesn't have playable villains, I decided to change him up slightly. It's an alternate universe, so some changes altered his path. Everything is pretty much the same, except he meets Albert Zerstoiten during WW2, and this is where his path diverges. At first they worked as colleagues, almost becoming friends, but then Zerstoiten steals some of Reinhardt's work and has him branded as a traitor. Reinhardt is forced to flee Germany, going to America. He aids the Allied Forces in winning the war, before going into solitude to plot his revenge. He becomes a "hero", not out of a since of justice or some form of altruism. He becomes a hero in the CO universe purely out of spite, to bring down this "Dr. Destroyer" and have his revenge.

Both iterations have combined their genetic expertise with cybernetics, in order to give themselves unnaturally long life. The former eventually becoming more robot than man.
    Cool. B) And yeah, that's exactly how Zerstoiten operates, except he usually leaves the people he backstabs dead. Reinhardt was lucky to get away with his life.

Does he still go by "Dr. Victor Reinhardt," or does he use a superhero code name?
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I have 3 CCers, of which only one still, occasionally, shows up to CC. The other 2 I'm going to change their builds. But, since they are PSS Pre it makes it challenging.

One is called Defective Toy Robot. Now, I'm not a big fan of pet masters because I mostly only do end-game content any more. But, events allows ANY build to have fun.

So, I'm going to take some of this and that from above to convert DTR into an electric/med nanite/pet master. Variations based on what I want. Thanks for this thread.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited December 2021
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Cool. B) And yeah, that's exactly how Zerstoiten operates, except he usually leaves the people he backstabs dead. Reinhardt was lucky to get away with his life.

Does he still go by "Dr. Victor Reinhardt," or does he use a superhero code name?

Still uses his real name because his personality wouldn't allow him to stoop to silly code names and ridiculous outfits. Just his lab coat, slacks, button down shirt, tie, and dress shoes. Also, Zerstoiten knew he couldn't just straight up kill Reinhardt, he would see that coming. So he left it to the regime to do it, but Reinhardt managed to slip away.
    Post edited by dialamx on
    That's just fine, but I was thinking that "Victor" would work quite well as a super code-name. ;)
    One of my favorite mastermind mixes in COV was Bots/FF (Force Field) and I'm wondering if there's a way to jury rig one out of this build or if I need an entirely new build. Any ideas or suggestions for making this build? I like that one that turns force blast's personal force field into a group shield.

edited April 2023
    One of my favorite mastermind mixes in COV was Bots/FF (Force Field) and I'm wondering if there's a way to jury rig one out of this build or if I need an entirely new build. Any ideas or suggestions for making this build? I like that one that turns force blast's personal force field into a group shield.
    I'm unsure of the role you want to use here, but I assume it's Support if you want strong shields, though you could still play as Hybrid instead if you want more personal dps from it (and assuming you're not taking it to Cosmics as a Hybrid). Here's an example of mixing Force shielding w/ some Tech:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Force Blast (Rank 2, Shield Generator)
    Level 6: Vital Shielding
    Level 11: Power Barrier
    Level 14: Crushing Wave (Rank 2, Disruptive Force, Entropy Field)
    Level 17: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Force Eruption (Field Expulsion)
    Level 23: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Munitions Bots
    Level 32: Redemption (Rank 2, Salvation)
    Level 35: Force Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Overseer: Administer (3/3)
    Overseer: Ruthless (3/3)
    Overseer: Impact (2/2)
    Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
    Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

PF or FBlast can put up a shield on you, which Eruption can expel to shield others, while PF can still be used to put up a shield on an ally more quickly and directly. FBlast is your main single-target attack, while Crushing Wave is your main AoE (and the Entropy Field adv will help it proc the toggle/form and EU; Rank2 could also be changed to Barrier, if you want to trade some AoE dps for the self-shield). You'll still prob want a normal heal in there as backup, which is why I put Arcane Vit in there (could be a different ally heal as well). You could also opt to use a different support aura passive than Med Nanites, depending your priorities. The block could also be changed to Energy Shield, if desired. Gears mostly for End, w/ some Pres and Con.
    I made some changes to suit my personal tastes but this was perfect thanks!