test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Theorycraft Comedy Build, Non-blocking Melee DPS

h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Builds and Roles
I thought it might be fun to make a DPS that doesn't need to block at cosmics. Kiga is easy, many dps already don't block there. The difficulties however come from surviving ape slam, ape fireball, ape hold, dino spikes, dino knock, and dino hold without blocking. Of these, ape slam does the most amount of damage (~38000), and is convenient to test on so I will calibrate on that. Mega-D should also be doable with the until resistance device. However, this build will likely have to sit out from forced blocking situations such as the STE repel.

After trying out various ideas, I think a modified behemoth looks the most appealing. This strategy requires using 100% con modding with 4 slot fight-specific defensive gear, that is fire resist mods for ape, particle resist mods for dino. The same should work for eido with dimensional resist mods, but I do not have his aoe damage numbers to check with. The usage is straightforward. Run into melee range and spam defensive combo to put up shields. Use endorphin rush on cooldown. Pray a healer decides to show mercy, and use resurgence/palliate if they don't. Use catastrophic pummeling on dino check. It won't do 10k with this stacked con build, but close enough. Proceed to sit out if checks fail.

The good news is that it can survive the ape slam, which means it can survive everything else. The bad news is, with around 17500 hp and 3 pc distinguished, it survives with around 2k hp, so the ape is highly likely to follow up with a fireball.

Melee DPS with no Blocking - Freeform (Melee Damage)
v3.44:37

Super Stats
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 9: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 12: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
Level 18: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
Level 21: Martial Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 3)

Powers
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Pummel) - the shields generated from this power help greatly
Level 6: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3) - mostly because 128% resist to holds and knocks
Level 8: Hurl (Hard Fall, Didn't See That Coming) - easy demolish
Level 11: Catastrophic Pummeling (Rank 2, Rank 3) - to help with dps check
Level 14: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3) - small heal over time
Level 17: Pulverizer - small energy unlock due to low amount of rec
Level 20: Enrage - small damage boost due to low amount of str
Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Unchained) - the big heal
Level 26: Palliate (Rank 2, Rank 3) - the weaker version of resurgence
Level 29: Miniaturization Drive (Rank 2, Rank 3) - might help lower incoming damage a bit
Level 32: Rise From the Ashes - might as well have the option to rez people
Level 35: Fiery Embrace - going to die alot
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Superspeed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2) - 112% hold resist!
Constitution: Tough (2/3) - leftover points
Constitution: Resilient (2/2) - 269% knock resist!
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2) - make use of the big hp pool
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Elusive (2/2) - supposedly great against aoe? i couldn't notice the difference, might 2 pt upper hand instead
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (2/2) - the extra move speed to hopefully help move out of lava faster, as well as reposition after knocks
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1) - protector mastery probably better but want to try warden mastery first

It is also possible to unslot basic block and/or unbind the shift key to avoid the temptation or conditioned reflex to block. I thought about the laser sword block adv, but having it slotted there makes it too tempting to block.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    I would use the term 'dps' for this pretty loosely. Def not the sort of build I'd ever recommend, but it's an interesting endeavor nonetheless.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I would use the term 'dps' for this pretty loosely. Def not the sort of build I'd ever recommend, but it's an interesting endeavor nonetheless.

haha too true. its a tank build with an offensive passive/role, and doesnt generate much threat. still though, vs a dummy i think its around 1k dps? while sad, its still something. we've all seen plenty of "dps" that do less.
    Heh, yea. It's not too bad there I suppose, since it can still bring some burst/Overpower to dps checks, at least. Regardless, good luck w/ build, if you're willing to try it out.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Green bubble DoT is an irresistible percentage of hp (I think 6x20%), is your cooldown on resurgence short enough to use it every time that fires?
    I knew it was irresistable but didn't know it was percentage based. Damn, might have to take protector mastery after all then. Even then I'm not sure if between that and palliate it will be enough. Hope for AoAC i guess?
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    How about Mighty leap w/ Rampant. Great for getting out of lava, and reckless is another shield and source of knock resist.
    And maybe use roomsweeper with dizzying and Demolishing advs instead of hurl. More damage, A little AoE, another knock for form and EU, And most importantly applies both at the same time. Hurl you would have to use twice. (once to apply disorient then a 2nd time to apply demolish to a disoriented target. )
    Hurl applies Demolish (and Disorient) on the 1st use w/ both relevant advs, but Roomsweeper (or other Demolish sources) could also work. Hurl w/ advs just makes it really easy to do.
    yeah i picked hurl for the 1 use. it also provides a knock. so convenient! too bad the bluhman guide on steam is out of date and still calls it a 1 star power.

reckless seems like an alright idea though. unfortunately, mighty leap/rampant only gives me 1 stack of the buff, and defensive combo won't stack it. i could switch to a different attack that stacks reckless, but i think the 3 stack reckless shield is unlikely to match defensive combo's.
    edited October 2021
    sample combat log showing how much defensive combo and ov gloves are doing to mitigate the slam hit:

[23:10] Your Enraged! gives 19 Energy to you.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 723 (1097) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Hurl deals 296 (449) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 542 (823) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Pulverizer gives 9 Energy to you.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 1358 (1810) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 813 (1083) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 615 (820) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo deals 1355 (1806) Crushing Damage to Qwyjibo.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 72 (23) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 30 (9) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 54 (17) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 110 (35) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 66 (21) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 50 (16) damage.
    [23:10] Your Bastion absorbs 110 (35) damage.
    [23:10] Your Unstoppable absorbs 0 (75) damage.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo absorbs 774 damage.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo absorbs 542 damage.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo absorbs 632 damage.
    [23:10] Your Defensive Combo absorbs 735 damage.
    [23:10] Qwyjibo deals 7964 (34489) Fire Damage to you with Qwyjibo Calls The Mountain.

this is with the 2x r7 (2x40% fire resist) mitigation, and of course no blocking. maybe the shields can help take the edge off the dino dot too, since i will be punching the whole time during and after spike detonation. hard to test dino solo though.
    edited October 2021
    dino damage test data. at 1 stack of form. this is easily enough to do the 10k in 5 seconds and thus meet check requirements.

[23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 531 (806) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 535 (812) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 812 (1233) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 811 (1230) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 502 (762) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 532 (807) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Pulverizer gives 9 Energy to you.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 793 (1204) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 785 (1191) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 537 (815) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 517 (784) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 519 (787) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 520 (789) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 514 (779) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Power Surge gives 69 Energy to you.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 543 (824) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 528 (801) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Power Surge gives 69 Energy to you.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 505 (767) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 503 (764) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 530 (805) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Pulverizer gives 9 Energy to you.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 769 (1167) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 832 (1263) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 514 (780) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 529 (803) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [23:30] Your Catastrophic Pummeling deals 1542 (2340) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.

i know dino gets more resists based on number of players, so actual damage will be lower. but on the other hand, other players will provide buffs and debuffs so i think it should be kind of a wash.

dino spike test & 20% hp dot test data. thx onimuza for tanking the dino so we could get this data

[0:08] Teleiosaurus deals 890 (11303) Particle Damage to you with an unknown ability.
    [0:08] Teleiosaurus deals 3499 Particle Damage to you with an unknown ability.
    [0:08] Your Enraged! gives 19 Energy to you.
    [0:08] Your Pulverizer gives 9 Energy to you.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 481 (738) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 554 (850) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 1146 (1759) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Teleiosaurus deals 3499 Particle Damage to you with Genetic Decay.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 733 (1126) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Adrenaline Rush gives 350 Health Points to you.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 796 (1221) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 1144 (1756) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 499 (766) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 562 (863) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.
    [0:08] Your Defensive Combo deals 1105 (1696) Crushing Damage to Teleiosaurus.

sadly the shield from defensive combo does nothing whatsoever to the genetic decay dot and i died after some procs.
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Interesting about hurl that it can apply both in 1 hit. The way it reads the target has to be disoriented first. But wouldn't be the first time that in game docs are wrong. (or maybe its just wrong on herocreator)
    edited October 2021
    Interesting about hurl that it can apply both in 1 hit. The way it reads the target has to be disoriented first. But wouldn't be the first time that in game docs are wrong. (or maybe its just wrong on herocreator)
    It may have been intentionally made this way for Hurl's advs, but it's prob because the game processes the Disorient debuff first. It could be clarified better in the Demolish adv's description, though.
    I made this character on the last server update and quickly got her to 40 on the back of witchcraft bonus xp + event alert. Alerts were super brainless to power through with this kind of build. While gearing up, I had to make some changes to stay true to no block while working with blue gear. Kiga doesn't really require anything different from a normal build. Ape required that I run away from the slam and back in to resume dps. When timed correctly, I can run back in early without a lava pit forming. I picked up vapor form since sometimes I fail to run away in time, and this helps me survive the no block slam--though I still die to the lava pit afterwards. Mighty Kick is there to help kiga runs move along if theres a tank with no interrupt. Impressive Physique is there for cutscene posing.

I added a center of gravity and blast wave device to help deal with clumps of enemies.

Melee DPS with no Blocking - Freeform (Melee Damage)
    v3.44:37

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 18: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 21: Martial Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 3)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Pummel)
    Level 6: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Hurl (Hard Fall, Didn't See That Coming)
    Level 11: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Mighty Leap (Rampant)
    Level 17: Pulverizer
    Level 20: Enrage
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Thundering Return
    Level 29: Vapor Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Mighty Kick (Boot to the Head)
    Level 35: Catastrophic Pummeling (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Impressive Physique
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Superspeed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    edited January 2022
    update on this:

it is possible to noblock and survive kiga, slug, portal guardian, and eido without too much trouble. i obviously don't do oubi due to the life drain unless theres a solution for this.

for ape i gave up trying to tank the slam, and i run out of the aoe instead. this also lets me stat str instead of con and output more dmg. down the road i might make a fire specific defense piece to tank the blast unblocked.

for dino i've managed to noblock and survive by positioning myself midpoint in a healer cone aimed at the tanks, and just a lot of help from healers overall. its a bit tricky position since too far out of the group means eating breath, and too far in means someone else will eat up one of the 5 cone targets. the spike detonation itself doesn't do too much dmg (around 3k), and by statting str and having low hp, the cone heal keeps me alive. most runs however, i die many times. if the baby and mom hit with an attack at the same time i will die unless aorp.

this kind of build is pretty strong for qwz solo but a bit slow in killing things.