test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Super Retro Dr. Destroyer?

dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
edited September 2021 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
With the addition of these new "Super Retro Dr. Destroyer" costume pieces, I was curious what they were based on. Here are the pieces: Helmet, Neck, Chest, Arms, Bracers, Cape (there's also shoulders, but I don't have them unlocked)

20210918165113-1.jpg

The only thing I can find that comes close to a source for these pieces is this cover:

s-l500.jpg

Can anyone else shed some info on what these are based on, or are they just new pieces Cryptic threw together without a source?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    The cover you found was for the very first appearance of Dr. Destroyer in that adventure "module." His original armor looked like this:

iq8ZmgQ.png

When the Fourth Edition of the Hero System (game engine for all Hero Games) came out, DD was revised, with this look:

Dr%2BDestroyer.PNG

That was his appearance until his redesign for the current game. As you can see, Cryptic may have taken some hints from the Doctor's previous armors, but they aren't really that close.
    edited September 2021
    BTW in the source book for Dr. Destroyer, Book Of The Destroyer ;) , those earlier images are treated as "generations" of DD's armor upgrades.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Well now I'm sad the CO version of that helm doesn't have the teeth in it. Instead it kinda looks like a WW2 gas mask helmet. I guess that's appropriate given DD's history, but I still wish it had the teeth.

Thanks for the info!
    BTW here's a good rendition of the color scheme for Fourth Edition Destroyer's armor. I'm afraid I've never seen a colored version of DD's original armor.

207068.jpg
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    BTW here's a good rendition of the color scheme for Fourth Edition Destroyer's armor. I'm afraid I've never seen a colored version of DD's original armor.

207068.jpg

At least we know now what his robot double in the Destroid Factory is based on.
    Good point. Ditto Gigaton's helmet. In setting history, both predate the debut of DD's latest armor.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Those "jawtubes" look like unfinished work. Someone just forgot to shape the default tubes.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Those "jawtubes" look like unfinished work. Someone just forgot to shape the default tubes.

I kinda thought the same thing. They look like a rushed version of the actual Jaw Tubes in the helmet.
    edited September 2021
    It's funny to me that people might think older comic-book armor has to look bulky and clunky. If you look at comics over time the reverse tends to be true. The older stuff usually looked sleek and elegant. Nowadays the artists hang so many plates and cables and ports and glowy bits on armors, they look like Tim Taylor's Christmas decorations.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    The original Iron Man was pretty bulky
    Bulky, yes, but also sleek. The subsequent armors looked more like traditional superhero costumes with a metallic sheen.

vuia7cea7xm71.jpg?width=320&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=383a7e3c6ad1f7dcf13385443aa50492834fd8dd

th?id=OIP.O0Jr51bQz62I3LAq5xmQ7QHaLZ&pid=15.1

EfQfn8kXgAAfQgz.jpg
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    Well they were trying to churn out a bunch of comics every month and when you're an artist clunky means more details which means more time.
    Eh, I'm old. Maybe my esthetic taste was just developed in a bygone era. :/