test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kurobasa's Archetype Remastered Project

Hello all, I know I haven't updated the gallery in a bit (don't worry that'll be coming in due time) but in the meantime, I had the idea of remastering the looks of all the archetypes since truth be told... just opinion but... Let's be frank, some of them are just quite horrid and painful to look at. Now that isn't to say "Oh it's because they are using silver player pieces only, of course the looks would be bad!" Which in my opinion isn't the reason that most are bad. I believe it is purely because the right amount of love wasn't applied, so I wanted to try and see what I could do with them. So, for the first set I decided to naturally start with the original 8 archetypes that were made, and I plan to give my reasoning for each design so everyone can get a glimpse into my mind with my process... That being said, I did challenge myself for this, I put myself with the same stipulation a player who literally just started would have: So no unlocks allowed.

The Mind
FULKHx6.jpg0Dkcrlu.jpg

The Mind at was the first one I did because quite frankly... I decided to work from the bottom up, haha. Now the original look for The Mind was a classical tight based look but, it didn't really say "I have mental powers!" To me. So, deciding to work off the basis that our Mind was former Psi, I used a similar color scheme to them, though if one notices Psimon and Medusa's versions of the outfit and colors has yellow trimming, so I put white in place to give us a more heroic look and to help stand out just as well from the deep pink and dark black. I had also felt since this is called The Mind after all, I would finally use that brain in a dome jar piece, which is free to players. I just figured if I got a character with mental powers, why not have them flaunt a big brain? So originally the dome was going to be metal, but since the brain was metal too when doing this, it put me off, so I opted for leather. I also had added several "metal" pieces to the look to not leave the dome the only grey in the design, though it could honestly work just as well without. Overall that's about it for The Mind. Went for simple overall looks, a emblem that could fit a psychic character without being the Psi symbol (plus we lack a big brain emblem...) and overall, it was fun to make.

The Grimoire
vlMfx7G.jpgvK1eO2m.jpg

The Grimoire was pretty simple what I wanted to do with it: Not make some weird space, demon elf thing. So naturally I opted for one of the most famous of magical heroes in comic history (There are others but let's be honest, you don't get much more famous or classic than Doctor Strange.) So, with the inspiration laid bare, it is obvious that is who I was going off of but I still made it my own with the color choices and other elements of the design. Something you will notice is I try to adhere to a certain era of costumed heroism so each and every one of these guys can fit together, so just like the mind having a pretty silver age design (maybe the metal bits being more bronze age to be honest,) The grimoire is meant to invoke a silver age mage, wearing tights and shiny gloves and boots and sportin' a big popped out collar (which to separate from Strange is not apart of the cloak but the top piece itself is how i colored it) and trim lined cape. The emblem was used to represent the mysticism and occult nature of The Grimoire's powers. Not much else to say on this really... Well yeah, Grimoire looks more like Strange now but something I read best described The Champions PnP about it's characters: "Champions is Silver Age Marvel with the serial numbers filed off, not that it is a bad thing though."

The Blade
ptUXjm6.jpgPYtaurD.jpg

Ah The Blade, how we are not a blue and yellow katana boi now. I opted for a mixture of a strong warrior type with the classic spandex to create this at's look. Mixing silvery armor bits with the brown and tan tights (inspired by Wolverine's classic brown and tan tights!) a long with a big, spiked helmet that shadows their entire face leaving their pupiless white eyes to bore into your soul!... *Ahem* Right. As you can also see, I added a sword on the back to help give them a bladed weapon to fit their name that also wasn't a katana. I know katanas are cool but... kinda boring at this point. If one has noticed a certain trend, I've been giving all the AT's emblems so far, and The Blade, naturally is no exception to this rule having part of a sword and it's hilt/guard shown to showcase what this AT is all about. While it isn't too noticeable on the previous two, but due to how the costume pieces can differ between the genders, I knew I was going to hit the roadblock of the male and females not matching perfectly outfit wise so as you can see, The Female Blade has a stronger Tan coloring in their design and with a different shaped torso covering, but so it goes as they say.
Bonus Trivia: The Blade I made ironically doesn't use a blade, it uses the mace.

The Behemoth
dJZl1Vk.jpgybi9xx0.jpg

.............Yeah this one is super original, haha. To be honest it was mainly a case of I found the big, blue gorilla look kinda boring, so I... did something just as boring. But when I think of the phrase Behemoth when it comes to comics and heroes... I think The Hulk to be honest, so I took that concept of The Behemoth being a large, musclebound Man/Woman whose transformation into their current state has not only made them more beastial (tapping into our more primal nature without going full on Beastie) but as their red skin shows, their blood is boiling and as one can observe, their skin is tearing at places showing their muscles underneath. I do feel the male came off far better than the female, but this is a case of how different the skeletons and sliders work for the two genders. I didn't want "She-Hulk" for my female Behemoth, I didn't want sexy. Though only so much you can do when almost no matter what you do you are going to have a hourglass figure. No emblem for this one, but hey you got ripped pants... so win?

The Glacier
PCqvaxu.jpg66l4ytP.jpg

Pretty simple for this one. I suck at making ice based power toons so I opted to do something simple. Basically I used the tendril tights (making their texture metal) to represent frozen water and ice while the white colored skin is snow. The Glacier is a tank based AT so naturally big and brawny in looks, and I opted to make them somewhat less human by giving them two toes and fingers and using the geometric head. Not much else for this one, sorry. I just not good at Ice characters.

The The Marksman Archer
BzP8ZLM.jpg1P86lAy.jpg

Notice the name? Simple: Marksman is apparently copyrighted in the name creator... Yup. So I after much, much deep thinking, I came up with the creative name for the AT: The Archer! ...Yeah okay it isn't creative but it does fit. I would of totally made a Robin Hood clone (no shame because who doesn't love that classic, goofy, tight wearing Robin Hood from the movies and stories?) but since we don't have the Loxley hat, I opted for a mixture of common archer superhero design cues. Colors are honestly something I expect our own MillenniumGuardian to use and well, I fully admit their Britannia toon's colors were a reason behind the reddish brown used. I decided to harken to the classical archer heroes of today and made The Archer a blond (though that isn't important,) what is important though is that we have a exposed arm for style and a strap on the armor to help protect it when shooting their bow (though it probably should be on the other arm... as a left hander I sometimes think the opposite.) I decided to give them a old, renaissance style quiver to give them a more "steal from the rich and give to the poor" design cue while giving them plenty of pouches to apply their gimmick arrowheads to their arrows. They don't have a emblem unlike most of the others due to a mixture of the chestwear basic having clipping issues with emblems and the belt I used (since I wanted to have a lot of pouches,) but it's okay, it still works.

The Soldier
kbbTz2M.jpgiDcpQ6k.jpg

This one is pretty simple in explanation on what I was going for. I was basing this one off of characters like Deathstroke, Punisher, heck, even video game icons like Solid Snake (with the colors, it's kinda there.) Naturally I wanted to invoke both a superhero look but also the gritty gun nut look that the AT had originally too. So I gave them scaled, bulletproof tights with a target emblem to draw fire to the bulletproof material underneath the chest area. We are loaded for war with all the guns, grenades, knives (not usable but looks nice) and what-not strapped around the character to give them a real mercenary vibe. The right eye uses the target reticle pattern to fit into the AT's passive which is Targeting Computer so my take has a cybernetic eyeball. Bar that, not much else to say.

The Inferno
d85shmz.jpg85dP2G7.jpg

The Inferno was actually the one that kinda inspired me to do this (There are others too, but this one as always been one that stood out to me out of the original 8 as one of the worse due to some questionable choices I felt,) so as you can tell... I spent soooooo much time trying to make my take amazing. Yeah, woo, oh yeah. But in seriousness, I felt a simple but effective take was appropriate so I opted for a more classic, silver age look, going for a slimmer build since The Inferno is a glass cannon bar none. Really can't say much more than they are a fire guy/woman. I used the red over say orange as the main other color due to how the shade look with those particular tight patterns.

That's it for now, I plan to do another 8 here soon. Part of that one will focus on the other free AT's plus some other ones. There is no set pattern after this first set, I'll just pick 8 and do those and move on to the next.

Comments

• subjustsubjust Posts: 48 Arc User
    Cool AT designs! Looking forward to see the next ones you do 😎
  • ragnakingragnaking Posts: 73 Arc User
    Thanks, I got 3 of the next 8 done so far.
    edited May 2021
    Late to doing this, but I got some more done up, so lets do this.

The Dragon Spirit
    pDhfMVQ.png
    R5XjQ6S.png

Don't got much to say about this one bar I really didn't like how the original looks.

The Gunslinger
    h8HYxUN.png
    PsL8gFU.png

As a friend of mine said, "It's just Dick Tracy" and I had to agree. So went with a more Punisher inspired take (or even Deadshot with that eye piece) with a more tactical, armored appearance of sorts.

The Devastator
    OS2XuSr.png
    Re3kvPV.png

While I didn't mind the Devastator's original look too much, it could of been done a lot better I thought so I decided to revamp it while still keeping that fantasy warrior vibe.

The Invincible
    qESQ5T7.png
    DhqwhfP.png

The Invincible was one of the better designed ATs I feel since it actually felt cohesive in it's design, but I'm revamping them all so might as well revamp this one too.
    Post edited by ragnaking on
    edited May 2021
    Another day, another set of AT's remastered.

The Cybernetic Warrior
    F2mdQxD.png
    lh7JJBD.png

While I didn't per say hate the original costume for this AT... it did leave a lot to be desired I felt. So I revamped it to not feel like shiny rubber, gimp synth warrior armor and well, now it's less shiny gimp synth warrior armor I guess.

The Wrecker
    kfETriA.png
    4NOpaDe.png

While not bad, it was pretty similar to a certain X-men so I decided to just make it what it might of always been... A Wrestler. Now go wassle those villains.

The Disciple
    kbjPj5d.png
    vkMX6eD.png

The Disciple was alright design wise, but I decided to make it more akin to Psimon's colors and crew. Though instead of using white like I did on the Mind to showcase they are a reformed PSI member, The Disciple teeters the line still so isn't quite all the way on good's side just yet.

The Tempest
    sHeMFZm.png
    SoVvn4O.png

Wanted to change it up from having techy bits on it to a more classical hero design. That's about it really. Also, could we please get Lightning Bolt detail for the females just like the males? Lightning Bolt pattern has a detail that goes with it... but only on Male characters.
    Post edited by ragnaking on
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    The weird thing about AT designs is that all of them are based on something but for some they aren't recognizable due to the sheer level of 'please don't sue us' applied in order to make them different. Granted, a few still look bad or take specific circumstances to not look as bad.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga