test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fortuitous set mod advice for a new 40?

If what I've read from guides is correct, I should basically just slot mods that raise my superstats as my priority? But what confuses me is what to put into slots that don't take SS mods? For example, the 3 characters I'm currently working on are TK Ranged, Infernal ranged, and HW (All 3 being built for DPS). Crit chance? Offense? Power cost reduction? Something else?
Assuming a new player here without a ton of access to currencies.
Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I would generally recommend crit chance in offense, hit points in defense, cost reduction in utility, though some builds will adjust those recommendations.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    When you get your 4 slot final gear you will probably want a mod that boosts the damage of your main type of attack. E.g. the Ironclad mod for your HW build.

Also keep in mind that diminishing returns will kick in the higher your mod totals going. E.g. If you already have a high crit chance, adding a second Gambler's Gem in a 4 slot piece of offensive gear will probably not give you the same boost that the first one did. You will also see DR in terms of the bonuses that ever incraseing stat mods give. You just have to weight what your objectives are.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    > @jaazaniah1 said:
    > When you get your 4 slot final gear you will probably want a mod that boosts the damage of your main type of attack. E.g. the Ironclad mod for your HW build.
    >
    > Also keep in mind that diminishing returns will kick in the higher your mod totals going. E.g. If you already have a high crit chance, adding a second Gambler's Gem in a 4 slot piece of offensive gear will probably not give you the same boost that the first one did. You will also see DR in terms of the bonuses that ever incraseing stat mods give. You just have to weight what your objectives are.

Ok, I'm 99% sure right now that I'm going to stay pretty casual. Which basically means I'll probably be ending my gear grind will end at SCR Heroic primaries (is that right?) and other than that everything else is just for kicks. Joining the occasional Kiga/Ape fights, doing dailies, farming costume unlocks, messing with crafting etc.

So if my path is going to be fortuitous > Heroic for gear, I just need advice on how to slot those. My current 3 toons are Infernal ranged (EGO/END/CON), TK ranged (DEX/REC/CON) , and HW (STR/REC/CON), all DPS freeform. Sorry for so much detail, I just figured the more you know the better you can answer, thanks!
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    I'm not an expert in optimizing, but then again you don't really need to perfect your build unless you get serious about Cosmics or Rampages.

You may want one END mod (or END on a secondary or two) for your TK and HW, just to utilize the higher Equilibrium. Beyond that my usual way is to spread the stats in roughly equal measure across the three SS'.

For DPS characters the Offense Primary should probably be crit severity with crit chance from mod (to reduce the impact of diminishing returns for both), for Defense Primary you can't really go wrong with health both on the gear and from mod (defense can be useful if you have specs that use the gear bonus), Utility Primary going for cost reduction on both gear and mod is quite useful for all three characters since none have INT as a SS.
  • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    Including your toggle will help finish off answering you.

• omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    I'm not an expert in optimizing, but then again you don't really need to perfect your build unless you get serious about Cosmics or Rampages.

You may want one END mod (or END on a secondary or two) for your TK and HW, just to utilize the higher Equilibrium. Beyond that my usual way is to spread the stats in roughly equal measure across the three SS'.

For DPS characters the Offense Primary should probably be crit severity with crit chance from mod (to reduce the impact of diminishing returns for both), for Defense Primary you can't really go wrong with health both on the gear and from mod (defense can be useful if you have specs that use the gear bonus), Utility Primary going for cost reduction on both gear and mod is quite useful for all three characters since none have INT as a SS.

I got the crit chance on my ranged Infernal blue gloves but that should be fine right? I'm only sitting at around 28% according to my character sheet, it's not a crit build with Ego/End/Con superstats so I figured extra crit chance would be a good DPS boost
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    As far as stats go, most of the time for dps you should put all your stat mods into the stat that controls your form, though you need enough Rec to at least be able to start your powers.