test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lemurian Naming Conventions

I am working on a concept called Captain Lemuria. He will be both the brother to, and commander of the bodyguard for, Ambassador Krax (of War on Peace Infamy). At his brohter's leave, he sometimes finds himself involved with the superheoric activities of various surface dwellers.

This got me to wondering about Lemurian naming convetions. What will be the official, civilian/family name of Captain Lemuria? What are typical Lemurian types of names? "Krax" is not much to go on, and Arvad is not a native Lemurian (if anything, his name sounds Phoenician to me). Are Lemurain names patterned after any known languages? Do people have family names, or are they simply some form of so-and-so son of so-and-so? Eg. Thor Odinson, or David ben Jesse. Is there any data on this in the Lore?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    "Captain Lemuria." Cute. :3

There is in fact quite a bit of data on this subject. The essential features are covered in the book, Hidden Lands, which discusses present-day Lemuria in great detail, along with other regions of Champions Earth. Additional data and examples are in Monster Island, while The Atlantean Age describes Lemuria in the antediluvian past when it was a great world power.

All Lemurians are functionally nobles, as their Mole Man slaves perform all manual and menial tasks in their society. Every Lemurian belongs to one of a number of noble Houses, each house led by an elder Patriarch or Matriarch. In the present day the names of the Houses are, Aar, Baz, Dwer, Hyrg, Jyln, Krax, Og, Qwer, Sron, Urog, Yrin, and Zur. Only the Patriarch of a House may use the name of their House as their surname. Sometimes members of a House will take a diminutive or altered version of their House's name as a surname. However, it's more common for them to use an epithet, either chosen themselves or applied by other Lemurians, to distinguish themselves (particularly since each House has only five or six traditional given names it uses for its children). It's common for Hero books to refer to the House a Lemurian belongs to when mentioning them, e.g. "Vikorin of House Hyrg," or "the House of Hyrg." Sometimes a Lemurian will have a title denoting their specific function in the Lemurian government or military, e.g. "Ambassador Krax" above (who must be the Patriarch of House Krax), or "Governor" when Lemuria ruled much of the surface world. "Commander" appears to be a common title for Lemurians leading part or all of their military.

The Lemurian language is guttural, with hard Ks and Hs pronounced at the back of the throat, and rolling, growling Rs. I'll list specific named Lemurians below, including some from the Atlantean Age, with House surnames where appropriate, and their epithets, as well as noting which ones are female.

Zorran the Artificer
    Lyrence the Blue-Masked
    Khusor the Crooked
    Baelrath the Blasphemer
    Besheeva the Veiled (female)
    Commander Zarn
    Vikorin the Blind
    Qaylan the Furnace-Tender
    Petrys Baz
    Unctor the Black-Handed
    Karessa Jyln (female)
    Virleen the False-Dreamer (female)
    Commander Nyl
    Jalra the Scold
    Lyesha the Strong (female)
    [The following are Atlantean Age Lemurians]
    Faltrah Lem
    Tyrann Lem
    Clymkris Lem
    Andrith the Golden
    Tregon Shorg
    Hogrem
    Kosarhd
    Governor Tregad
    Chored
    Belizor
    Lamrican
    Haliris Atal (female)
    Tereghar
    Governor Helkaen
    Temgath
    Gelledan
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Ok then, so Captain Lemuria (who I can assure you is a fierce warrior and anything but cute ;) ) is a member of House Krax. Is there information on the 5 or 6 traditional male names given within that House? I could make up something, but if names within that house are known I'd go with one of those. Maybe one that is difficult for surface dwellers to pronounce (to use an old trope) and hence why he allows himself to go by the simpler Captain Lemuria.

Out of curiosity, is there anything known about the relations between House Krax and Arvad? One the one hand, maybe they are close allies and the MC Ambassador role is a great honor. On the other hand, maybe the relations are cool, or even hostile, and then Krax's appointment would be a kind of exile to a backwards/primitive culture (i.e. us).
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    edited September 2021
    House Krax is a really interesting case. This is the House that Zorran the Artificer belongs to. Zorran was exiled by King Arvad after attempting a coup, "and since his exile Krax has dwelt under the stigma of Zorran’s treachery. Most of Zorran’s supporters came from this House, and few of Arvad’s followers trust Krax even to this day. The House secretly stays in touch with Zorran and keeps him supplied with materials only found in Lemuria. Unbeknownst to its members, the House works toward Arvad’s ends... and the king has used his mental powers to instill an urgent devotion in the House patriarch (who is also the noble that betrayed Arvad in his original coup attempt). Its demonic patron has two ram’s horns." (Hidden Lands p. 120) ["Demonic patron" refers to the creatures used as heraldic crests by each House. When in public Lemurians wear masks resembling those creatures.]

It would be quite like Arvad to allow all other Lemurians to think that appointing the Krax Patriarch to this ambassadorial post is an act of censure (they're culturally very superior and dismissive toward Humanity), whereas he's actually performing a key role in Arvad's plans.

While a few named Lemurians are attributed to specific Houses, the majority are not. I would say it would be perfectly acceptable to choose any of the names from the list on my first post not so attributed. For further exclusion purposes, Khusor is (publicly) of House Sron, Vikorin is House Hyrg, and Zarn is House Og. (Personally I'd go with either "Clymkris" for difficulty, or "Lyrence" because everyone will call him "Lawrence.") ;)

From your remarks, it sounds like "the Fierce" would make a nice epithet for him. War and sorcery are the only two professions considered appropriate for Lemurians.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Captain Clymkris the Fierce sounds good. People with Foxbat's level of sophisticated humor probably started calling him Clam Crust and it's easy to see why Captain Lemuria would be preferable. Maybe one of the good captain's roles will be ascertaining which humans, super and otherwise, would assist Arvad and which cannot be trusted. With the return of Zorran maybe he feels a repsonisibility to hunt down this blight on his House's name.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    War and sorcery are the only two professions considered appropriate for Lemurians.

Well, duh! A pox on those humans and their merchant class.
    JwLmWoa.png
    When the Lemurian Empire kept Human slaves they used them for music, drama, handicrafts, and other artistic entertainments, but Lemurians no longer have that resource. Mole-Men are great laborers, and more mentally sophisticated than the Lemurians realize, but they have little artistic talent.