test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fear Consumption / Shadow Manifestation

doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
edited September 2021 in Power Discussion
For some time since the Darkness revamp, I've been thinking about this, Fear Consumption and Shadow Manifestation's base Stats are swapped. Fear Consumption is based off of REC and buffs primarily Healing and Shields, while Shadow Manifestation is scales with PRE but buffs only damage.
The problem is if you're a damage dealer, you probably won't have much use to Presence, while it suits better an energy form that buffs healing and you probably will have more crowd control powers if you're a healer.
Shouldn't those scaling stats be changed to better suit roles?
What do you people think about it?

Comments

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Nice to have some variety.
  • prettyceltprettycelt Posts: 120 Arc User
    For some time since the Darkness revamp, I've been thinking about this, Fear Consumption and Shadow Manifestation's base Stats are swapped. Fear Consumption is based off of REC and buffs primarily Healing and Shields, while Shadow Manifestation is scales with PRE but buffs only damage.
    The problem is if you're a damage dealer, you probably won't have much use to Presence, while it suits better an energy form that buffs healing and you probably will have more crowd control powers if you're a healer.
    Shouldn't those scaling stats be changed to better suit roles?
    What do you people think about it?

Absolutely backwards. But then they also mention getting stacks of Daunting under the paragraph talking about getting Empathy, so they can't even keep their terms straight.

Sigblock_zpsj1x4gbuk.jpg

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    The part I dislike is when they use the term: stackS

Some effects can have more than one stack going, from you. Fear is not one of these. It only goes to 1. However, to be fair, it can be interpreted as the 1 stack on each NPC in a group.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    Nice to have some variety.

Yeah, I suspect these forms are for alternative or dual role builds rather than the primary, single role, healer, DPS or Tank builds.

Imho there's no strong reason to take Fear Consumption over Compassion, if you're primarily a healer. Just get Compassion and start healing. No need to switch targets and apply less than stellar damage to buff your heals. Fear Consumption looks like it lets you get more into DPS as well as the secondary healing effects from a number of Darkness and other powers. With Fear Consumption being tied to Darkness' Energy Unlock stat (Rec) that frees up two super stats. You could take Pre as you primary stat with nice specializations for healing, DPS and Crit; especially if you load up on secondary super stats. Even with Rec
    as your PSS, with high Rec the Rapid Recovery specialization could be viable and the Super Charged specialization should be an easy 15% Crit bonus to both healing and DPS. Take Harbinger/Seraphim if you want to tip more toward healing and take Shadow Form if you want to tip more toward DPS.

For Shadow Manifestation too, there are already solid forms (Chilled Form and Concentration) to buff ranged DPS. Shadow Manifestation let's you increase your healing/CC through high Presence as well as increasing your DPS. You could make a decent DPS with healing/CC or, possibly, a decent ranged Tank with SM. An advantage for a ranged Tank would be they may be able to proc a Mental State in melee range easier than proccing Chilled Form or Concentration.

Fear Consumption and Shadow Manifestation might not be for single role min/maxxing but look like they could add some nice variety to builds.
  • Completely disagree. Shadow Manifestation provides variety to the fairly wide range of ranged forms too, showing that Presence can be used for offense as well. Not a fan of Fear Consumption being Rec-based, though, as we already have Compassion that scales with recovery, but oh well.

Regarding Shadow Manifestation I can give one example where such form with such stat could be used: I'm playing a necromancer petmaster that deals damage in a support role. Stacking presence for both damage AND an AoED aura, he helps the team in more than one way
    In-game handle: @Dark_Diablo
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Shadow manifestation is a form that makes a hytbrid/DPS build with primary PRE viable. So it is fine as others mentioned.

Otoh, I do not really get the point of Fear Consumption, As Gregz above said there is already compassion which is easier to stack and depends on the same stat. It could be better if it was primary buff ranged DPS/secondary buff Healing, but I do not think it will ever change...