test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problems with CO that every other game has solved.

glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
edited September 2021 in Suggestions Box
Here's the reason a lot of my friends have quit the game week1.
Please make these a priority over more lockboxes, lockboxes might get you purchases but these lose you the customers.

No internal cooldown on disables on players.
You can get chain held-knocked-held-knocked into death.
The "stacking buff that makes you resist it" should make the player as immune to enemies at 3 stacks, as enemies are.
The engine is very well capable of internal cooldowns as they are forced onto players in powers which have no reason to have them so I'm pretty sure it's very possible to make players feel just a little bit like a superhero.
It's not like any of the content is doing a good job at that.

Block being enforced yet not working properly.
Back when we could just use multiple Active Defenses and didn't need to block, this wasn't a problem.
Making cooldown reduction basically not worth using whatsoever forces us to block which is finewhateverokay.
But then please make blocks actually do their jobs?
Talking about the dual hand beam from PA pushing you despite blocking.
Talking about cosmic tanks flying around getting knocked away while blocking.
Talking about the game saying: Blocked! 900 000 000 damage clearly not blocking the damage but telling you it did.

Blocked holds holding you anyway
Why? What for? You said blocking should protect us, that it's our defense, so if we defend correctly, why are we punished for it?

No fun allowed
The devs observe the players having fun with something and it gets 'patched' in 5 days or less.
The devs are told something is broken or not working (TGM Close the gap, cough cough) and it isn't even given a passing glance.

Mentality
Costume Token Lv10
Costume Token 5 cap
Costume Slot 40 cap
Vehicle nerf.
Become Celestial nerf.
etc etc etc etc etc etc

"Working as intended"
Intend it differently.
Start thinking like a player.

It's the players you are designing for.
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I don't agree with any of those things. All balances so far has made a lot of sense. Except maybe we should be able to block when held or mid air knock back to reduce other incoming impact.

Every stun/hold has a coldown just keep blocking and wait it out. Different effects has different consequences like you can't really block certain effects fully. Like you can block a punch but not if that man grabs you while your covering your face or throws teargas in your face. My only beef how certain effects fully prevent us from blocking like knock back in mid air while having rockets coming at me finishing me off before I hit the ground.

Maybe your friends just got bored.

They could problaby create a melee grab or hold system with counter parry system (I mean by this instead of just 'F to break free' we press difference keys assert how the character will respond in retaliation after free). Lol. Me thinking CO would do this.
    Post edited by metalheart#4270 on
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I guess I've been playing so long that I just take all the above for granted and work around it. Too many other things I do like to worry about nuisance issues.

I will note that they are adding fun back into the game with those size aura things.

I do wonder if we'll some day get a vehicle loving Dev (not one who loves cats) who will revist vehicles and give them a bit more oomph again so that they are just not travel power devices.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
    I don't agree with any of those things.
    I mean, there had to be one person that doesn't groan into the mic over discord when you get knocked back during a knockback while flying back from a knockback that you were blocking.

That, or you just haven't been playing that much, not playing melee/ a tank.
    If you mostly play ranged you'll encounter the above problems a lot less.

And this is a major reason people find this game obnoxious.
    Every other game worth its salt does not allow chain-CCing players.
    All balances so far has made a lot of sense.
    :#
    Except maybe we should be able to block when held or mid air knock back to reduce other incoming impact.
    Breakaway would be nice, where you press a button mid-air to recover from knocks.
    Then activate flight, a lunge or teleport.
    But it's not happening and you'll get chain knocked.
    Every stun/hold has a coldown
    Incorrect. Especially QWZ worms and robots are liable to just holdspam you and your resist will do nothing.

jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I guess I've been playing so long that I just take all the above for granted and work around it. Too many other things I do like to worry about nuisance issues.

I will note that they are adding fun back into the game with those size aura things.

I do wonder if we'll some day get a vehicle loving Dev (not one who loves cats) who will revist vehicles and give them a bit more oomph again so that they are just not travel power devices.
    Complacency is the reason these things weren't ever fixed.
    And everything else.

It's that case of having a fire 2 blocks down, it's cool, not my house.
    Fires spread. The fundamental problems with CO cause a ripple effect of how much else the game can get away with.
    If nobody raises a voice about problems, and shills just brush it aside as "nah it's fine" the devs will never actually hear just how many people have said the same things about the same issues over the years, and think there is nothing wrong.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I didn't say it was fine!

Sure, some of these things are nuisances, but given the tiny staff we have, and the always strident demand for NEW stuff (content, costumes) and revamps I don't think its complacent to work around minor things that likely won't be fixed (I don't even mind some of the stuff, like NPC repulsors pushing me back while blocking; for me it adds a little spice) given the available resources. Now, if the game had huge development resources and things weren't improved, it'd be another story.

Feel free to try to bend the devs to your will. Many have tried. Maybe you will succeed!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was fine!

Sure, some of these things are nuisances, but given the tiny staff we have, and the always strident demand for NEW stuff (content, costumes) and revamps I don't think its complacent to work around minor things that likely won't be fixed (I don't even mind some of the stuff, like NPC repulsors pushing me back while blocking; for me it adds a little spice) given the available resources. Now, if the game had huge development resources and things weren't improved, it'd be another story.

Feel free to try to bend the devs to your will. Many have tried. Maybe you will succeed!
    They had time to ruin things that people liked and which did not bother anyone.
    They'll have time to add the lines of code that make you immune to knockback when you block.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    glortor wrote: »
    The "stacking buff that makes you resist it" should make the player as immune to enemies at 3 stacks, as enemies are.
    It does. The problem is that holds use a separate resistance type from knocks (so you aren't immune until you've been held three times and knocked three times -- at which point you have 15 seconds), knocks and holds don't apply hold resistance on blocked hits and may not apply it on failed knocks (not sure about the latter), and hold resistance isn't applied until you successfully break free of a hold. Oh, and chaff enemies absolutely spam knocks.
    glortor wrote: »
    It does. The problem is that holds use a separate resistance type from knocks (so you aren't immune until you've been held three times and knocked three times -- at which point you have 15 seconds), knocks and holds don't apply hold resistance on blocked hits and may not apply it on failed knocks (not sure about the latter), and hold resistance isn't applied until you successfully break free of a hold. Oh, and chaff enemies absolutely spam knocks.
    Eh I've been knocked and held at 3 stacks before.
    But yeah, your assessment that 3 stacks are already ludicrous is apt. However, I think it's fair to get knocked every once in a while, just not a 3 stacks and absolutely definitely NOT when BLOCKING as a str primary tank lmao
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    Can't say I've experienced the knock/hold through blocking issue personally, but I do agree Block gets buggy/unresponsive at times, as if the game can't keep up with inputs from the player's end.

A smoother input transition from attacking to blocking would help a lot.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Can't say I've experienced the knock/hold through blocking issue personally, but I do agree Block gets buggy/unresponsive at times, as if the game can't keep up with inputs from the player's end.

A smoother input transition from attacking to blocking would help a lot.

A good example of these issues can be seen during the current event. When fighting the Mega Destroids, it's massive AoE has a knockback attached to it. Blocking will prevent you being knocked back. However, it's tactical missiles also have knockback. Blocking these will still knock you back. Another example is those boss zombies in the crypts during the Bloodmoon event. They will do several knock attacks in a row, and even though you're blocking, one of them will always get through your block and knock you.

The destroid drones have that sonic stun attack. You can block the attack, but if you drop your block after the attack is done, you'll instantly be hit with the stun.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    See my .sig for the explanation of most cases of cc penetrating block (not all, some powers have special coding). Note that a legacy hold (which is what NPCs use), if blocked late, will be applied (you can see the debuff icon; years ago you also got an incoming hold warning and bar, but that got removed when CC was revised) but may be ineffective until you release block.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »

A good example of these issues can be seen during the current event. When fighting the Mega Destroids, it's massive AoE has a knockback attached to it. Blocking will prevent you being knocked back. However, it's tactical missiles also have knockback. Blocking these will still knock you back.

I think the tactical missiles are a repel and not a knock. I find if I block early enough I don't get repelled or the distance for the repel is very short, depending on the Mega-D. For DRA, blocking still tends to repel a short distance though sometimes not at all. For the Mega-Ds at Champs HQ, blocking early seems to stop the repel for me. Maybe there's a difference in the repel strength between the two? Either way, blocking early seems to make a difference for the repel portion of the attack.