test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20210811.1 - Magnifiers

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited October 2021 in PTS - The Archive
Magnifiers
  • Added new aura versions of Super Magnifier and Shrinker.
  • Added new Magnifiers with different scaling. These magnifiers are considered to be disruptive fx and require other players to check an option in the menu to see. Otherwise it is only visible to you.
  • These magnifiers cannot stack with one another nor other size changing effects.
  • Magnifiers have been added to the Questionite store.
  • Testing: Please test and see how these work when around other players, if they can stack with other size effects, and so on!

UI
  • Added new button in the options menu to enable disruptive fx. Checking this option will allow you to see fx that is flagged as disruptive. (In this case the personal magnifiers).

Lockbox
  • Added new Dust Fall, Dust Cloud, Dust Particles, Sandstorm and Quicksand auras to the PTS lockbox store.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Huh. The concept of 'disruptive fx' seems like it has a lot of useful potential. What about shrinkers?
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    We're focusing on the magnifiers for this patch cycle. The regular shrinker did get an aura version.​​
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Super Shrinker shrinks character when aura is equipped but then immediately returns character to normal size.
    Also aura turns off when attacking and have to remove and re-equip Aura to return to magnified size.
    Also please keep them Bind to Account on Equip.

Question. With magnifier being an aura what will happen to devices?
    Post edited by andondarkmore on
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    In addition to the already-discussed quasi-personal magnifiers-failing-after-combat bug, the Quicksand Aura kind of...shut down when you try to color it. You have to re-equip it after coloring it for it to turn back on again.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Very nice to see that the personal mags are making a comeback. The update has added a lot of QoL to them (automatic camera adjustments, being an aura instead of a device slot is a godsend).

The current Q price of these in the PTS Q-Store is 400,000Q each (including the Non-Disruptive FX Magnifier and Shrinker), which is a bit steep in my opinion. They are Bind to Account on Equip, so they will be sellable/tradeable so there's that at least.

Bug
    Super Magnifier V1 - V5 auras (Disruptive FX) deactivate in combat. They immediately try to reapply while in combat, but will immediately deactivate again getting stuck in a loop. The looping stops once you leave combat, but the aura will remain permanently off until you re-equip it.

Bug
    Super Magnifier V1 - V5 (Disruptive FX) auras cannot be slotted into In Combat aura slots. They will only accept being slotted into Always On.
    The regular Non-Disruptive FX Super Magnifier and Super Shrinker cannot be fit into In Combat slots either, but that makes perfect sense since the description outright says they do not work in combat.

Bug
    The Super Shrinker (Non-Disruptive FX) aura will turn off after a couple of seconds of being turned on. Even if you're not in combat.
    Important to note that the device still works fine.

Suggestion
    The Super Shrinker device/aura (Non-Disruptive) should adjust your camera height downwards to match your character's new size.
    It's very nice that all the magnifier effects do this now, would be neat to see the same QoL added to the shrinker effects.

Suggestion
    Add Disruptive FX variants of the Shrinker effect.
    It was already said on the official unofficial CO discord that the focus for this patch cycle was magnifiers, but still it would be nice to see those as well.

Suggestion
    Add the ability to purchase aura slots to the Debugger.
    Wanted to test how the Magnifier auras interacted with each other when multiples were equipped, but my PTS characters don't have multiple aura slots. At the moment transferring characters to PTS doesn't seem to be working but that could just be me.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Magnifiers
    • Added new aura versions of Super Magnifier and Shrinker.
    • Added new Magnifiers with different scaling. These magnifiers are considered to be disruptive fx and require other players to check an option in the menu to see. Otherwise it is only visible to you.
    • These magnifiers cannot stack with one another nor other size changing effects.
    • Magnifiers have been added to the Questionite store.
    • Testing: Please test and see how these work when around other players, if they can stack with other size effects, and so on!

UI
    • Added new button in the options menu to enable disruptive fx. Checking this option will allow you to see fx that is flagged as disruptive. (In this case the personal magnifiers).
    ​​

Very nice QoL changes there! :+1:
    I'm happy for players with super-sized characters, now able to see and be seen in their full glory (sometimes a character's entire concept revolves around growth/shrinking)! I'll make sure to enable this new feature in the options menu. :)

Is the Shrinker aura tagged as Disruptive FX?
  • terminatorxiiterminatorxii Posts: 51 Arc User
    Suggestion
    • Dr. Moreau's Growth Serum - New Name for "Super-Magnifier Aura"/Super-Magnifier V1- V5 Aura"
    • Microman's Shrinker Effect - New Name for "Super-Shrinker Aura"
    Dr._Moreau_CO.png
    Reason/s for Suggestion
    • I think these names or something along the lines of it that shows association to the NPCs Dr. Moreau and Microman would fit just right for these items since both of these NPCs missions or missions associated with them have had similar effects occur during it/them.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Suggestion:

names:
    Kaiju Serum
    Embiggening [something]
    Giga potion
    Varanus aura

Giganticus

Misc:
    Name the different versions of the V1-V5 differently
    ex:
    V1 Megasize
    V2: Gigasize
    V3: Terasize... so on
    ​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    IMPORTANT QUESTION:

What happens to the old version of maginifiers that players have?

*Do I get to trade it for the new version?
    *Does it automatically convert?

If this is not thought of already. May I suggest an NPC with a quest that allows us to trade in old devices.

Example:
    1 super maginifier to complete
    Then we get to choose the version we want? It takes the old version and gives us what we choose.

Or kind of like how we trade in auras at the vendor
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Equipping a Super-Magnifier aura and a Super-Magnifier V1-5 aura puts you in a yo-yo growth shrink loop.

After a little more testing. Equipping 2 of any other size magnifier will create the growth shrink loop.

• stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    Doesn't appear that Dust Cloud aura is able to be tinted.

• gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Suggestion
    • Dr. Moreau's Growth Serum - New Name for "Super-Magnifier Aura"/Super-Magnifier V1- V5 Aura"
    • Microman's Shrinker Effect - New Name for "Super-Shrinker Aura"
    Dr._Moreau_CO.png
    Reason/s for Suggestion
    • I think these names or something along the lines of it that shows association to the NPCs Dr. Moreau and Microman would fit just right for these items since both of these NPCs missions or missions associated with them have had similar effects occur during it/them.

Support this 100% due to CO game Lore
    My suggestion for renaming and classifying the magnifiers:

Name Changes:
    Magnifier (Device) → Magnifier (No change)

Super-Magnifier (Device) → [Retired: Can be exchanged for the aura equivalent.]
    Super-Magnifier Aura → Super Magnifier

Super-Magnifier V1 → Advanced Magnifier (Large)
    Super-Magnifier V2 → Advanced Magnifier (Enormous)
    Super-Magnifier V3 → Advanced Magnifier (Huge)
    Super-Magnifier V4 → Advanced Magnifier (Gigantic)
    Super-Magnifier V5 → Advanced Magnifier (Colossal)

Personally I think the Super Magnifier device should be retired since the aura is more or less superior to the device. Of course, there should be an option to allow players to exchange the device for the aura. Also I would just remove the time-limited Magnifier since it seems kinda pointless.

Renaming the personal magnifier auras to "Advanced" would be appropriate given their functionality compared to the Super Magnifier (that is, they can be used in combat where the later cannot). They hyphen in Super Magnifier is removed to bring the formatting in line with Advanced Magnifier.

Also, the adjectives in parenthesis for the Advanced Magnifiers are not random descriptors. They're the names of the different large size classes taken directly from the Hero System 6E PnP. Large is the "smallest" large size class while Colossal is the "biggest" large size class. Just a little reference to the PnP source. (Those who are familiar with the PnP will notice I skipped over one class, Gargantuan, that is because of the already existing Gargantuan buff the devs throw on people during CCs to turn them into cosmics.)

Icon Changes:
    Add a stylized +1/2/3/4/5 to the personal magnifier icons. This will make it more quickly apparent at a glance which magnifier is which. Here's a quick example:
    2xTkf8I.png

If personal shrinkers ever become a thing, they could also copy the same naming scheme using the small size class names from the PnP. Their icons should use a -1/2/3/4/5 to distinguish them from magnifiers.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • evilvillainsevilvillains Posts: 70 Arc User

Lockbox
    • Added new Dust Fall, Dust Cloud, Dust Particles, Sandstorm and Quicksand auras to the PTS lockbox store.
    ​​[/quote]

Do I sense a new lockbox coming up? If so, I am excited.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited August 2021

Possibly one with all the old, and some new, Cyberpunk costumes? That would make a lot of plyaers happy.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    oyo32 wrote: »
    My suggestion for renaming and classifying the magnifiers:

Name Changes:
    Magnifier (Device) → Magnifier (No change)

Super-Magnifier (Device) → [Retired: Can be exchanged for the aura equivalent.]
    Super-Magnifier Aura → Super Magnifier

Super-Magnifier V1 → Advanced Magnifier (Large)
    Super-Magnifier V2 → Advanced Magnifier (Enormous)
    Super-Magnifier V3 → Advanced Magnifier (Huge)
    Super-Magnifier V4 → Advanced Magnifier (Gigantic)
    Super-Magnifier V5 → Advanced Magnifier (Colossal)

Personally I think the Super Magnifier device should be retired since the aura is more or less superior to the device. Of course, there should be an option to allow players to exchange the device for the aura. Also I would just remove the time-limited Magnifier since it seems kinda pointless.

Renaming the personal magnifier auras to "Advanced" would be appropriate given their functionality compared to the Super Magnifier (that is, they can be used in combat where the later cannot). They hyphen in Super Magnifier is removed to bring the formatting in line with Advanced Magnifier.

Also, the adjectives in parenthesis for the Advanced Magnifiers are not random descriptors. They're the names of the different large size classes taken directly from the Hero System 6E PnP. Large is the "smallest" large size class while Colossal is the "biggest" large size class. Just a little reference to the PnP source. (Those who are familiar with the PnP will notice I skipped over one class, Gargantuan, that is because of the already existing Gargantuan buff the devs throw on people during CCs to turn them into cosmics.)

Icon Changes:
    Add a stylized +1/2/3/4/5 to the personal magnifier icons. This will make it more quickly apparent at a glance which magnifier is which. Here's a quick example:
    2xTkf8I.png

If personal shrinkers ever become a thing, they could also copy the same naming scheme using the small size class names from the PnP. Their icons should use a -1/2/3/4/5 to distinguish them from magnifiers.

Chiming in a sec because I was JUST alerted to this by my buddy and it falls within my interests~

I feel like Large > Huge > Enormous> etc. rolls of the tongue better in that order. Also, for the icon colors, should be all "warm" colors for the growth (and "cool" colors for shrinking, if those ever get added).

Otherwise, I love these ideas.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Possibly one with all the old, and some new, Cyberpunk costumes? That would make a lot of plyaers happy.

On one side would be good for people, on the other side it feels scummy to push something more easy to obtain into an RNG Lockbox. Like they sadly did with many drops, putting them behind Tokens and lowering the drop rate a lot in general. But better than no option at all, but then I often ask why we have the Questonite store at all, the last thing we have gotten was Weapon Showcase Devices. It feels wasted and unneeded, considering the Papertrade Bag store also by now, which is another thing feeling off. And not get me started on some token prices on the Alert Boss Drops that drop once in 10 years at best.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    Nope. Absolutely not. Not a fan of renaming the Mags after NPCs in game. Truely a bad and unnecessary idea.

1)It makes no sense to characters that have nothing to do with Dr Moreau and microman. Why would my giant who was born a giant have a growth serum?

2)Complicating the name for no reason. Super Maginifier V1-5 is simpler
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    edited August 2021

On one side would be good for people, on the other side it feels scummy to push something more easy to obtain into an RNG Lockbox. Like they sadly did with many drops, putting them behind Tokens and lowering the drop rate a lot in general. But better than no option at all, but then I often ask why we have the Questonite store at all, the last thing we have gotten was Weapon Showcase Devices. It feels wasted and unneeded, considering the Papertrade Bag store also by now, which is another thing feeling off. And not get me started on some token prices on the Alert Boss Drops that drop once in 10 years at best.

In my experience lockbox RNG is not really an issue. I usually get a few pieces I need/want from the boxes I do open, duplicates (or things I just don't want (like most of what was in the Casual box) I hold on to for a few months until supply goes down and demand increases and then sell them for a good profit. Any pieces that I don't get from a box I buy in the AH with the proceeds from what I sold off from the last box.

In the new, revamped much faster Sky Command I think I got 3 tokens in 8-9 attempts.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    epelesker wrote: »
    Chiming in a sec because I was JUST alerted to this by my buddy and it falls within my interests~

I feel like Large > Huge > Enormous> etc. rolls of the tongue better in that order. Also, for the icon colors, should be all "warm" colors for the growth (and "cool" colors for shrinking, if those ever get added).

Otherwise, I love these ideas.

Thinking it over, the order being Large → Huge → Enormous → Gigantic → Colossal does sound better. I went with the order the Hero System PnP uses, but the other order does seem more natural.

Also yeah, it would be a good idea to change the magnifier icons to warm colors so that if shrinkers were to get the same treatment in the future they'll have the cool colors free to use.

A quick edit of the example above of how the magnifier icons could look using that idea:
    3dCxHe0.png

Also just realized that the devs could just re-use the roman numerals I/II/III/IV/V they use for mod icons here. Would probably be better and easier to integrate, as well as be more cohesive with the overall UI.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I like the +1/2/3/4/5 idea, as per the PnP system, it’s straightforward and pleasant enough. :)
    Question I start to have, since it will be Auras, how will this be handled in combat, people could sadly use it to troll, covering doorways or something like that, or view in general. Will they be limited to only working outside combat still or?
    The idea is that other players won't see the size of the BIG characters unless they make a selection to do so in the Options menu. I wonder if big character will be easier to target (if the option to see size is being permitted)?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Well, looks like Chaos will need a new image - now instead of him screaming for personal magnifiers while being upset, he can be screaming in delirious happiness that they're finally here.​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • rathymosxrathymosx Posts: 5 Arc User
    I can't even get onto PTS anymore nor transfer any characters lmao, got in twice before but now I only get a connection time-out.
    But why.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > Well, looks like Chaos will need a new image - now instead of him screaming for personal magnifiers while being upset, he can be screaming in delirious happiness that they're finally here.​​

While I'm actually glad Magnifiers are FINALLY getting worked on now, I'm not gonna make the same mistake of hoping. It would probably take another couple of YEARS for this to reach Live. So I'll reserved my glee for when it gets to Live. ;9
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The idea is that other players won't see the size of the BIG characters unless they make a selection to do so in the Options menu. I wonder if big character will be easier to target (if the option to see size is being permitted)?
    I would hope that magnifiers don't change selection box (and certainly not collision).
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    Magnifiers

Lockbox
    ​​

Are we actually getting a new lockbox or is the placement just some placeholder?
  • lillysaturnlillysaturn Posts: 109 Arc User
    Can we please have this disturbing FX button for some costumes ? (Not possible I know, and I jest)
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User
    Can we please have this disturbing FX button for some costumes ? (Not possible I know, and I jest)

I up vote labeling the button disturbing effects instead of disruptive! =)
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    One thing I've noticed while testing the Magnifiers on PTS is that the ;battleplanlisten emotes are no longer persistent. They're nice poses to use while giant but they complete their one animation cycle (and the ones that don't use the pointing are very short) and revert to idle.

It's been a while since I've hopped on to the game so my apologies if this has been noticed before.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    Any update on any of the suggestions from this thread?
    Any update on any of the suggestions from this thread?

Feedback from the developers? Here?

spiderman-funny.gif

You not long here yet, is it?
  • waybig#3345 waybig Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2021

Suggestion
    Maybe could add some other footsteps sound as when you use the Aura no footsteps sound can be heard

Suggestion
    Maybe could add some other footsteps sound as when you use the Aura no footsteps sound can be heard

Didn't you know that 50' tall giants are very light on their feet? It's like they have perma-stealth on.
    JwLmWoa.png
This discussion has been closed.