test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO cultural update for inclusivity

I've noted in many GM requests and other instances of player feedback, many parts of this game are racist. They require content (words and recording) be edited or removed

1) "Lynching" is a racist term named after Charles Lynch the Virgina lawmaker who wrote "Lynch's Law". There's no reason for this word to appear in this game. Lynching is not a substitute for "Hanging". Robots in Snake Gulch need their text updates and the term removed permanently. It is offensive.

2) Hi Pan's voice acting as tho as an Asian character he cannot pronounce "Millennium" is a racist joke that has no place in CO. It's especially appalling that it's one of the first missions for players to run. The voice actor who read these lines (whether Asian or not) should not be perpetuating a racist stereotype against Asian Americans.

3) The brown Skinned NPCs are more prevalent in prison uniforms or in the Sovereign Sons. Both villain factions. The only NPCoC I recall positive interactions with is Dr. Ka. (Despite Kinetic being a member of the Champions). This representation sends a bad message.

4) There are so very few options for the Avatar generator for heroes of other ethnicity. It's like 95 to 5 and that's me being generous with the term ethnicity. Humanoids come in much more variety than CO even acknowledges. There are more options for animals than for a Black hero or Heroine. This representation sends a bad message.

5) I know no cultural consult signed off on the writing of the Sovereign Sons. I love the Haitian heritage and it's influence on the free World and yet seeing their linguistic contribution used in this manner is offensive. Worse I find it's encouraged other players who I suspect are not of the same heritage to appropriate the language. It's made for some cringe worthy rp sessions and while it's the players decision how they represent their characters, the game basically co-signed in approval of the behavior.

6) There's no reason for the White Hare Hostel to mention confederate monuments or memorabilia in the lore. It serves no purpose, it is counter to the spaces RP role (a player hub for tabletop) and will only encourage more heroes to co sider this acceptable behavior. I've already run into a "Captain Confederate" as a 'hero' and ... Yeah. Like in #5 CO devs set the tone that it's condoned. A place heroes (and more importantly players of all types) are supposed to feel comfortable is also a place proudly hanging the stars and bars and confederate War memorabilia? Not this player.

7) Anytime players change into disguise they are always Caucasian. As a Black player this shows that black characters and avatars were not even an afterthought. Whether it be Purple Gang costume or in Resistance jumpsuit.. my character does not need to become white to be a hero.

Comments

• retehi#8400 retehi Posts: 32 Arc User
    lol
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    lol

[NbK]XStorm
  • saruro1994saruro1994 Posts: 9 Arc User
    as a black South American i just can say lol
  • darren2555darren2555 Posts: 4 Arc User
    wooot

• littleblinglittlebling Posts: 1 Arc User
    Good point, it did went pretty bottomly piglet
    Good to see the poem getting some use.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • darren2555darren2555 Posts: 4 Arc User
    we are all special snow flakes :)

• doctorevilfacedoctorevilface Posts: 91 Arc User
    lol
    Lemon-Scented Evil.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    Christ. Lighten up. I didn't find Barons voice a very good Caribbean accent but whatever.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    <3 Baron, he sent me to baron samedi.
    [NbK]XStorm
    This is Mulan all over again.
  • deviskrahdeviskrah Posts: 8 Arc User
    lol
  • oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    lol
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Well, this game had a good run.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 137 Arc User
    hey, half Asian half black dude of west indies/chinese descent here

no, we don't really care about hi-pan's voice acting and the jokes behind it

no, we don't really care about how the sovereign sons are portrayed

no, we don't think inclusivity is required when these are already established characters and think changing them or making new ones for the sake of being """inclusive""" is necessary in any sense of the word

I'm not even going to talk about the prison uniform thing because you clearly saw what you wanted to see and I don't think anything I say about how there's people of all skin colors in them in game will matter

also that last point is lmao, "my character does not need to become white to become a hero" bruh you put on disguises to fake being a villain and that just so happens to be being white, you aren't being white to be a hero, you're being white to pretend to be a bad guy. the fact that apparently doesn't please you is mad ironic

just play the game lmao
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    As an Asian American, I raughed out roud at #2.

Can we also get some sugar-free health refills, please? One of my tanks is diabetic, and I don't want his blood-sugar level to skyrocket in the middle of an Alert.

Thank you.
    Post edited by zwipezanther on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I remember some years ago a player hoped the devs would allow male characters to use the vixen stance to allow better representation of the Gay community. That didn't happen/
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    They talking about boarding up half the game. Lol. Do Canadians even say "Aye?"
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    I say this belongs to games and movies made in the time span where it fits. At best, add a hint or so to it that it is not meant offensive to anyone. Such clichés exist if we want or not, but retroactively changing such about a game is just dumb, sorry and no offense. It is part of history as dumb it may sound, something we can look back and learn from, not just erase it. That is basically cancel culture then also. Offensive stuff are part of history too, and we can only hope people learn from it and not take it serious.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    tenor.gif?itemid=14184400
    It's not even offensive, stop being so sensitive.
    [NbK]XStorm
This discussion has been closed.