test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What keeps you playing CO after all these years?

I know we all have our personal insights on what this game could use to keep thing fresh and interesting.

Yet for some reason, we keep on coming back for more.

Just curious, in spite of the game's age and quirks, what keeps you motivated to log in to play?

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Only decent, legal superhero MMO available. I'm not a mini-maxer, so chasing metas is not of interest to me. I just like to try lots of different builds and like to push them to see how good I can get them within the limits of R7s.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    Only game where my animations don't come with a crappy weapon wield mechanic for powers.

I can shoot Lazer beams directly front my hands/head/chest without looking like a wizard or an elf and can feel like a modern superhero of my own creation.

I wish I had the tools to make her as I envision she would exist but the game mechanics being much slower than the incentive creative minds hasn't deterred me yet.

Seeing other people's versions of their custom superheroes in a shared roleplay universe is so rare. I wish more players recognized the potential in the Champions IP because when I log in I want to feel apart of THAT world where you are empowered to fight for what you believe.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    A: People. Why would I play a game without them?
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    It's the only game where I can play as my OCs. If not for that, I would have quit a long time ago. But since there's barely anything to do anymore, I might be time to retire.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Nothing anymore
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Remember that if you are quitting the game you should send me all your DUCs, R7+ mods and rare costume pieces. I will put them to good use ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    For me, a big reason why I continue to play is the sense of accomplishment I get in a relatively short amount of time.

In other MMO's I used to play, you had to put aside at least 1 or 2 hours a day just tackle endgame content that drops top tier currency. That's not including time recruiting for groups or raids, just to even attempt. I used to have that amount of time to spare, but not anymore.

In this game, on a good day with an experienced group, knocking out 3 cosmics in less than 30 min is totally doable. You not only get rewarded with endgame currency, but also spare time to do something else.

I'm also one of the rare fans of the active blocking system. In other games, gear makes way too much of a difference. Here, only to an extent. An experienced tank in starting endgame gear and minimum required stats can usually outlast a fresh one that just only started tanking when they got their Distinguished set in the same build scenario. This game not only rewards with total time invested, but more about how you invested it.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    The customizations the game gives, Costume wise and Power wise, it always can feel fresh, lack of alternative starting areas aside.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Only decent, legal superhero MMO available. I'm not a mini-maxer, so chasing metas is not of interest to me. I just like to try lots of different builds and like to push them to see how good I can get them within the limits of R7s.

Ditto. Plus the costume creator of course. I have a lot of alts that I like going back to and respec and/or update their costumes. I also love seeing all of the amazing costumes and concepts other players come up with. Some seriously creative and artistic folks in CO.
  • The ability to make your own super hero without limitation of classes (besides Archetypes lol). For people like me who like making their own character it's fun. Shame you can't be a villain but I have had fun playing theme builds based on certain villain groups like VIPER where I do my best to make my costume and powers match what they would have from that group.

I wish there were more power sets but I know you can make a half decent tribute to a water set by using blue colored force powers. For a water like body use the ooze body set and color it blue. Add a trident and you have a very basic water character based on what's available. I use force powers because water if it was a real set would use crushing damage.
  • evilvillainsevilvillains Posts: 70 Arc User
    The ability to express my creativity is what makes me want to play the game.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    > @jaazaniah1 said:
    > Remember that if you are quitting the game you should send me all your DUCs, R7+ mods and rare costume pieces. I will put them to good use ;)

Oh, I am gathering up all my hoard atm and am splitting it between two friends this week.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    My friends are here. Hell, I MADE new friends, some very close, within this game.

Oh, and I like the setting, the costumes, and the people. =)
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    The game is a creative nerds paradise. Its the only super hero mmo worth its salt on the market now offering modern customization options to the degree that it does. To say that it was ahead of its time in that regard is a massive understatement. The gameplay is fun (after you reach 40 and have full power access) And the community is great! And when I spend my money on the game it doesn't feel like a ripoff. One of the few games in general where I'm happy to open my wallet and support the devs no buyers remorse here. On top of that, I always get a kick out of peoples character designs, clones or not. People here are insanely creative.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Waifu sliders. Oh yes the sliders.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    > @ariesmajor said:
    > The game is a creative nerds paradise. Its the only super hero mmo worth its salt on the market now offering modern customization options to the degree that it does. To say that it was ahead of its time in that regard is a massive understatement. The gameplay is fun (after you reach 40 and have full power access) And the community is great! And when I spend my money on the game it doesn't feel like a ripoff. One of the few games in general where I'm happy to open my wallet and support the devs no buyers remorse here. On top of that, I always get a kick out of peoples character designs, clones or not. People here are insanely creative.

100% Agree.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    The best character creator in any MMO. And the community is way better than most "bigger" MMOs out there. Also, I don't feel like I'm playing a sidekick to the "real" heroes (i.e. DCUO).

And I don't feel like I'm missing out a lot when I don't have the bestest gear around (though those are nice to have). I can play for a couple of hours, de-stress, and then go about RL business again, not obsess over min-maxing and getting frustrated when I'm not top-tier in the rankings or whatever.

It's home. A home where I can beat up on bad guys, save the world, and maybe make new friends and help newbies get their feet wet.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    making big characters​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Waiting for the right time to come back, so I can sell some old, long forgotten item for 1.56 million. (Recent unopened video game auction reference).​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Character Costumization + Freeform System

Good Lord, this is the BEST Feature in the game! I don't want to even play any other MMORPG because I know they will not give me such freedom in costumization like Champions Online

I can make all my OCs and Experiment with Unique thematic Freeform builds... the later has been put on hold for me because the Powerframe Revamp got Frozen and I'm running out of said FF builds that can combine more than 2 Powerframes and be greatly optimized for Endgame​​ so I can get endgame gear on characters/builds I like and I see fun potential!

I found myself REALLY enjoying Soloing QWZ Dailies the past 2 years! It feels like a nice challenge and I prefer it over Alerts
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    avianos wrote: »
    I found myself REALLY enjoying Soloing QWZ Dailies the past 2 years! It feels like a nice challenge and I prefer it over Alerts

Agreed, but ... if one just needs scr and Q , and can stomach the unwanted and unnecessary 24 hour wait between initial missions, the first 2 sets of the new Ladyhawke missions, give comparable amounts of scr and more Q than the QWZ missions and are far easier and faster to get through. QWZ is more if you want some more challenging game play. Of the Ladyhawke missions, only Out of the Shadows is at all a problem for squishy dps. If one needs boatloads of scr to buy some 975 scr costume, grindingthe first 2 sets of Ladyhawke missions and the QWZ dailies is the way to go.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Agreed, but ... if one just needs scr and Q , and can stomach the unwanted and unnecessary 24 hour wait between initial missions, the first 2 sets of the new Ladyhawke missions, give comparable amounts of scr and more Q than the QWZ missions and are far easier and faster to get through. QWZ is more if you want some more challenging game play. Of the Ladyhawke missions, only Out of the Shadows is at all a problem for squishy dps. If one needs boatloads of scr to buy some 975 scr costume, grindingthe first 2 sets of Ladyhawke missions and the QWZ dailies is the way to go.

Oh I ALSO do those to stack SCR and Q, but on lower degree because I absolutely despise the way the missions are designed to have you go back and forth from Westside to Downtown, once again Crime computer apparently doesnt exist anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's better to do the Dailies on a smaller-scale self contained zone like QWZ

Heck, QWZ made me realize how much more small-dailie zones we could get in fact, It has been stuck in mind the idea of a Lemuria City like Atlantis being made with similar dailies, OM, and special Cosmic

Even with a Vehicle and the constant use of the [Renaissance Center Transport] Device they are obnoxious to deal with and if I do them on more than 1 character per day I get drained and I don't want to play anymore and during one period I used to do the series with 5 characters per day!
    also the annoying Loading Screen spam

Not to mention MC gets really laggy and memory leaky during Rush hours and Events, even though I do like to Double Dip during MC events and do them on the same time​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Heh. I was right. The post was deleted.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • evilvillainsevilvillains Posts: 70 Arc User
    I play this game because I like being creative when it comes to making superheroes.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Apart from being one of the few games that allows you to go thicc without downloading mods. A trait which only recent games are starting to adopt. The creator is really fun, I have never. Been able to to customize characters so closely to thought... though I often notice things that could be added.

I find it fun.

Most games let you create 1 to 5 characters. With a fixed look and some armors to buy and wear as is.

Every character I make is not just an avatar be an extension reflecting myself and life experiences.

It's low pc space and quick to download.

There's not heavy strings forcing you to follow through with story.

No endless 99 levels rubbish.

I like to watch other people creations.

I do wish I could get a better reflection of the lore to immerse. When I was ranking for DTP I did a few missions up to psy where you enter the girls dream. We need more missions and zones like this.

The world is what you make it.

#Rave for worldboss
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • praetox#7127 praetox Posts: 1 New User
    As a pre-launch lifetime sub, the fact that customer support was able to dredge up my old account is why im coming back.
  • piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    I just like to try lots of different builds and like to push them to see how good I can get them within the limits of R7s.

Yar. I see powers and come up with hero ideas. I get hero ideas and try to make them work with the powers. I like superheroes and freeforms let me do almost anything I want. Wants moar pawurz.
    For me, a big reason why I continue to play is the sense of accomplishment I get in a relatively short amount of time.

Somehow this and also not this because it's always "ima just play a little bit then jump on something else" and then 6 months go by and I've moved a total of 1 room ahead in Control.
    As a pre-launch lifetime sub, the fact that customer support was able to dredge up my old account is why im coming back.

You.... you spoke to someone? I call shenanigans. You, sir, are a liar :p .
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    So that I can go into TT and weeb the spiderweeb as many times as possible.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    In my case nostalgia (CO was the first superhero MMORPG I played, back in the first week or so it went FtP) and getting into character with old favorite characters and a few new ones. Not only that, I used to GM the paper-and-dice version of the game for a long time (since the second printing of the first edition back in the '80s) so it is a bit nostalgic for that reason too.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    It's the only MMORPG that allows you to look and play however you want and still be effective in any content of the game.
    And myself helping folks build constantly, there are quite a few of those that are physically disabled or of the older generations that wish to play more than you'd realize. I take pride in making sure they don't get left out of anything once they are assisted.

The absolute feeling of people having fun in their hero of their imagination brings me more joy than anything else in game.
  • mastercontrol7mastercontrol7 Posts: 181 Arc User
    The $300 that I moronically add to this game back in 2017 because I thought I was making a good investment, Damn I was wrong.

You got me Cryptic, You got me.
    you-got-me-you-heard-me.gif
    edited August 2021
    The $300 that I moronically add to this game back in 2017 because I thought I was making a good investment, Damn I was wrong.

That reminds me of another reason I keep playing. I bought my LTS back in 2012. It paid for itself in ca. 1.5 years and CO has paid me ca. $450 in stipend since then to keep playing. Such a DEAL!
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User

That reminds me of another reason I keep playing. I bought my LTS back in 2012. It paid for itself in ca. 1.5 years and CO has paid me ca. $450 in stipend since then to keep playing. Such a DEAL!

Yep. Purchased LTS in 2014 and was well worth it. I've been generally happy with the changes and additions over the years.
    There's still new and updated content and builds/roles/powers I haven't played yet.
  • alt0angel0skalt0angel0sk Posts: 137 Arc User
    costumes , tailors and freeform, hanging out with friends,supergroup
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Posts: 10 Arc User
    costumes , tailors and freeform, hanging out with friends,supergroup

I would like to try freeform someday to try and reprise a few of my old paper-based Champions characters, (I still only have an F2P level account), so far my first CO character is the only one who really fit any of my tabletop ones reasonably well with the restrictions on power availability for F2P.

That intention (though I never seem to get around to it) is another reason I keep coming back besides the nostalgia and stuff I mentioned before.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    LTS. I like freeforms and (re)building characters. Also see only IMO good online superhero game right now.
  • brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    It's the only decent superhero MMO out there with good customization.
    But the main reason for me recently is the RP community, I had more fun the past year than the other 8 I played. Create plots and characters was a great way to exercize my creativity and is my favorite hobby by far now.
  • omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    Came back after almost a 10 year hiatus, but I will say one thing: I played CO Because I enjoyed it way more than CoH, regardless of whether that game was around or not. Better power and costume customization was why I left CoH in the first place. I find the lore, voice acting, cut scenes, etc a LOT more fun too.

Good grinding. You can totally limit your gear grind in CO and still have fun and feel powerful. Having said all that I lost access to my old subscription account and not interested in being a LTS at this date (paid you more than enough every month back in the day Cryptic!). So I took some good advice and just bought a premium pack and a 3-pack of FF on sale and called it a day. I never had time for more than 3 toons back in the day anyway.

Coming back from being an original subscriber means I'm not getting some of things I used to, but on the positive side it also means I've got things to do to keep me entertained. Pretty casual player these days, I'm lucky if I can even squeeze dailies for 1 single toon in a day. My freshly squeezed 40 came in behind the tank on the anniversary CHQ today for DPS but that won't last much longer. Whoever owns "Vita" you're a kick-**** tank!!
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris
  • peripeteiaperipeteia Posts: 39 Arc User
    This game allows you to go at whatever chilled out pace you want. I'm done with hyper, headaches and frustration. Most games have similar formats, just with different twists and terminology and I am effectively playing the same game. Here I am devising my own character, playing to my own rules, making it challenging as I want it to be, not acting like there is 3 months left but acting like there is another 8 years atleast.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    Constant masochism for game dev.

"THIS year they will..."
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    Well, it certainly isn't the horrible monetization and lack of bug fixes, lol

All joking aside, it's the Customization for me. Both in terms of Character Creation AND Powers. I know people who still use this game's character creator for tabletop characters, even though they haven't played in years. Personally, i'm really let down that they didn't put this much customization into STO or NW. I don't know how much they had in the magic beta, either.

The funny thing for me is, in DCUO, they specifically say you're supposed to get your powers from existing DC heroes. That's the actual story hook. But you can't get any actual heroes' powerset, minus a Lantern Corp ring with the most unimaginative power visuals. I can easily (but not legally) make a way better DC knockoff HERE than i can in the official DC game where that is the actual point of the game.

I love the customization and i'm a HUGE superhero fan but i've also been an LTS since launch, so it's nice to just log in to collect things every now and again, too.
  • cheeseagent69cheeseagent69 Posts: 35 Arc User
    Best chat/dress up game where you can beat up random ****. Srsly, its mainly the character customization and freeform, and trying to make good use of the money spent on LTS.