test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there someone.... ANYONE here that can help me fix my ability to use my controller again?!

IDK what they broke and in what patch, but I have been unable to control my character the way I used to using the ps4 controller. Powers won't work and the right stick only moves the mouse cursor, it does not control the camera the way it used to. I tried support, but they are basically ignoring me after telling me to come here and closing my ticket without even talking to me.

It's wrong to treat your players/customers this way, especially one's that supported your game with HUNDREDS of dollars through Lifetime subscription and other purchases! Please, I don't want to make any more of a fuss or escalate this any further than I have to, I just want to play the game that I put good money into to play. I have no interest in playing K&M. So can anybody help me fix this or give me some reassurance that whatever was broken will be fixed in the next patch? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    Heyas, there have been no recent changes to controller support.

Some things to try:
    Resetting/reloading your keybinds.
    Check the Controller tab in settings to see if it's enabled.​​
  • phammcastphammcast Posts: 6 Arc User
    It is enabled and I never created a keybinds file. I only did that for STO. For Champions Online, I just plugged it in and it worked fine. Something has changed even if you didn't intend to change it. It worked fine before and I haven't changed anything on my end, just plugged in the controller and played the game only to find the controls were all messed up. Please check to see if something was broken in one of the patches.
    bump
    I recently talked to a guy on YT that posted a CO vid about keybinds recently and he gave me an idea that it might be steam's controller config. So I installed the Arc client to test that theory and it appears that that may be the case along with something that went wrong in a recent patch.

While the controls are still screwed up a bit even when I play on just your client, it is more playable than it was and I'm even able to control the camera with the right stick again instead of just the mouse cursor. But as I said, there are still some issues that weren't there before even on the Arc client such as square now being jump instead of x like it used to be and circle now being power 1 instead of square.

Hopefully what I told you helps you guys isolate the issues and fix it in a future patch, if not, just let me know if you need any additional info. In the mean time, is there anyway I can remap the buttons to what they were? Because I couldn't change them in the "controller" section.
    Oooookay, well.... Goooood talk then! Thanks for all your help, guys!!!!!!
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    Jumping on this a bit late, but what I tend to do is run CO joystick controls and do keybinds with a third party program (joy-to-key). It's free and just runs in the background and lets me easily set all the keybinds on my controller in a UI that works a bit better than Champs' built in one.

I set my controls to combat controls with aim to target, and I clear all of the default binds in the controller menu and just let CO handle the joystick controls.

It's worked consistently for me for years and hasn't acted up at all.
  • whatdakrakwhatdakrak Posts: 47 Arc User
    Sorry i'm so late on this but if i can help at all i'd be glad to.
    I've been playing with an Xbox 360 controller for years and i love it so i know loosing your controller setup must suck.
    You mentioned that logging in outside of the steam client helped a bit. Some times steam updates can change your default controller config for a game. I've found that the easiest way to adjust the settings for that is to enter "big picture mode" then library, then open CO and once open go back into the big picture menu and find "controller configuration"
    Steam has a rather comprehensive controller support system and you can do a lot with their settings. Most likely one of their updates just changed how it registered your controller and broke it.

• sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    cough keyboard and mouse masterrace cough

But seriously, yeah, controller support inside CO is a bit janky, but it does work. I've even played the game a little bit just to see what it's like, and I CAN SEE why some people might prefer it. It's just… my brain looks at all the buttons and key combinations, and I try to figure out how the HECK that works with the few buttons on a controller.
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    > @sapphiechu said:
    > cough — keyboard and mouse masterrace — cough
    >
    > But seriously, yeah, controller support inside CO is a bit janky, but it does work. I've even played the game a little bit just to see what it's like, and I CAN SEE why some people might prefer it. It's just… my brain looks at all the buttons and key combinations, and I try to figure out how the HECK that works with the few buttons on a controller.

Can't disagree more, this the ONE pc game in a decade where I enjoy using a controller vastly more. Yeah it's janky sometimes doing stuff out of combat but for fights it's fun AF. You need to basically see your controller as fun combat and use your mouse/KB for lots of other stuff like inventory, auctions, dialogues etc. You'll get used to going back and forth pretty quickly if you're an elite PC masterrace 😜

Having said that, I guess I can see how people who've spent all their years on PC and didn't also own PS or Xbox wouldn't feel comfortable.
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris