test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic's Unused Game Assets

Hey Devs,

Consumers are somewhat disappointed that Magic: Legends will not be released in full. To any Cryptic devs affected I offer my personal condolence.

I know M:L was an isometric, Diablo style game but there were some beautiful animations, FX, and avatar assets that players of CO would absolutely love!

Also I never saw much of the Maps of M:L but the Champions Lore is full of unexplored locations! Perhaps some of the environment assets could be repurposed to Champions?

Finally I hope the Community Managers really encourage the player base of M:L to come try Champions Online. We could use more Planeswalkers and Mages (and who knows maybe some players will actually wear tights)

I want to attach pics of all the Mazing Mind Mage spells and Green/Nature spells that I would love to see ported over to CO but rather than be specific I'll keep this conversation general.

Please reward the M:L team the chance for their work to not have been in vain. They are Cryptic's Champions and we heroes welcome their labors to the IP

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    There's probably version compatibility issues and possibly rights issues. If Cryptic does reuse the assets I would expect they'd be most compatible with Neverwinter.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Wait they cancelled that? Wha happun?
    https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11490313
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    mmmm... "missed the mark"... I guess their mark was being able to run at 60fps consistently o3o
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User

Interesting. That must have been a huge and costly failure ro the parent company. I wonder how those losses will affect CO?

Kind of makes mewonder what would have happened if they had sunk that money into improving CO?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Probably won't affect any of Cryptic's other games since it was a Wizard of the Coast thing. The money wizards put into this was probably pennies compared to all the lockbox card pack money they make.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    If money was no object, why did they cancel it?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Because they didn't get more back.

No corporation is willing to continually put in more money than they get in return for a project they expect to profit on.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    And yet, "they" expect customers to do so. Well.
    Haha
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2021

Well, the statements they've given are worthless in determining that, but from what I saw of the game it was going to be a goldmine of monetization marketed to an audience that is already clearly okay with spending money on Wizard's products. So, from the looks of it they're giving up a big potential revenue stream because there was something about the game that they didn't like.

The great thing about having WotC money is that you can do that. Just look at an expensive ongoing project and say "eh... don't like it, cancelled" and never look back.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Posts: 10 Arc User
    I have never played the card game, but reviewers of the online game who have played the card game usually say it does not capture the feel of the card game at all, so that could be the reason. If the feel is not right it probably would not attract the card fans.

That was part of Defiance's problem too btw, the show and the game were so different in feel.
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User

Interesting. That must have been a huge and costly failure ro the parent company. I wonder how those losses will affect CO?

Kind of makes mewonder what would have happened if they had sunk that money into improving CO?

Probably won't affect CO. Magic Legends was another in a growing line of misfires from Cryptic/PW. CO is one of their only stable and consistent income generators.

And, yeah, the attention and funding had it been given to CO... just makes you roll your eyes. But they were banking on the Magic: The Gathering brand to carry a mediocre game. And it didn't.
  • It wanted to be Diablo 2 with Magic but it ended up being mediocre. This company makes most of the money on Neverwinter and Star Trek so it wasn't too much of a loss. Would it be nice to add those devs to Champions? Of course. If we had like 3 more people on this game we'd get improvements for sure.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    We don't have control of the Devs, budget or their priority in the studio. But we can take steps to help CO.

Any Planeswalkers who have not yet seen the Qliptothic realm would love to being their characters to Champions (I have to believe that)

But game assets are pretty fixed. Sometimes textures and polygons need to be structured different and maps need finalizing but all those map environment assets from M:L could quadruple the speed of making a new CO zone out of the unused buildings, plants, animals, and perhaps other assets that will go unused. CO's engine is much different but that doesn't always mean the assets don't transfer.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    They could drop an extra dev or two on us... to get stuff done quicker... maybe... Idk... we are not priority.

They need to stop jumping off to every project they get and fix what they have already.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    Hello? Did my posting just get censored??
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle