test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confusion with Primary and Secondary Gear

I've always been confused with this and hoping to get an answer that helps explain what is the right way at looking at gear in Champions. Now I know majority of gear won't matter until lv40 and hitting end game content but I am mainly looking for just some basic information on gear.

Mainly what is the difference between the two types of gear other than where they get equipped such as should I focus on what they are in relation to my stats such as primary gear mainly favor primary stats and secondary favor secondary or is there something else I am missing entirely? Even if it is end game gear that has to be used for examples go for it, the better understanding I have know the better off I think I will be once I begin running end game content which is very soon for a few of my heroes.

Big thank you for all help and information that can be given to me. :smile:

Comments

• miorummiorum Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    No, you're basically right - while leveling there are few differences between Primary and Secondary gear outside of the amount of stats they give, for the most part. That said, at 40 you may finally find there are some differences:

1. Set Bonuses:
    * Primary Gear (such as Mercenary (bought with Questionite, or similar gear from Lockboxes); Heroic (GCR Vendor) or higher quality) often has a bonus when an entire Primary set is equipped at once. These can range from giving you health when an enemy is defeated, to permanent Stat increases as long as the gear is worn.

* Secondary Gear often does not have a bonus for equipping the same set of Secondaries.
    (there are exceptions to this, but they are uncommon)

I advise you to read your gear carefully before equipping it -- it's a good idea to focus on the Super Stats you're working with while leveling. When you've reached 40, you can ask for help in-game if you're having trouble making a particular choice. :)

2. Modification Differences:
    * Primary Gear has 3 or 4 slots depending on Rarity - allowing for 2x Stat (Enhancements/Armoring) and 1 to 2x Core Modification.
    (such as the Multi-Core Modifications (the 'gems' that give different bonuses depending on whether they are in Offense, Defense of Utility).

Note: Both Stat and Core Mods may be up to Rank 9 in when used in Primary Gear.

* Secondary Gear has zero slots, or 1 depending on the Rarity - allowing for either 1x Stat Enhancement/Armoring OR a Core Modification depending on the piece - and will not allow any of the multi-core gems I mentioned earlier to be used in them.

Note: Both Stat and Core Mods can only be Rank 5 or under when used in Secondary Gear.

'Mercenary' or similar ('Fortuitous' or 'Remarkable') Primary Gear with Rank 5 Stat/Core Modifications is a solid start for endgame content.

For Secondary Gear, there's a guide suggesting 'Armadillo' secondaries from the Questionite store. I advise against that in favor of finishing Ladyhawke's "Dark Dealings at the Docks" mission line (The last mission 'Unknowable' is challenging, but will reward Secondary gear!).
    Or you could look into the Secondary Gear at the Gold Recognition Vendor (a 'metallic angel' in the building Defender is looking at directly): these are 15 SCR a piece, which is a currency you'll start earning for Daily Missions at 40.

:) Hope this helps!
    In-game, I'm The_Kef -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "That's really it for Champs."
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    On the purple secondary gear it should be added it can randomly drop from level 40 content or enemies, so you can find them in the Auction house as well often very cheap, instead of using SCR.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    miorum wrote: »
    2. Modification Differences:
    * Primary Gear has 3 or 4 slots depending on Rarity - allowing for 2x Stat (Enhancements/Armoring) and 1 to 2x Core Modification.
    (such as the Multi-Core Modifications (the 'gems' that give different bonuses depending on whether they are in Offense, Defense of Utility).
    Minor correction, the Green Primaries only have 2 slots and should therefore generally be considered low tier stuff. I would not recommend using them unless you're really strapped for G and don't have anything blue. Even a level 38 Blue Primary will be better than a level 40 Green Primary.
    On the purple secondary gear it should be added it can randomly drop from level 40 content or enemies, so you can find them in the Auction house as well often very cheap, instead of using SCR.
    It can be difficult to find pieces that fit your super stats and certain stats (Dex & Ego in particular) tend to cost a lot more than others.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Simplest way of thinking about it:

Secondary Gear - usually just boosts offense, defence and stats. Some special sets (usually bought with currencies like Questionite/Drifter Salvage) give additional bonuses (XP bonuses, Damage boosts, DR boosts). Some *very*special sets can be modded.

How to get it - anywhere. Decent secondary gear (up to purple level) drops from random enemies or from finishing simple mission chains, there is lots on the AH.

How much effort to put into them - "set and forget". I put Armadillo secondaries from the Q Store on most of my characters as their bonuses increase as you level and there's nothing much wrong with them in the end game. Otherwise pick the best from your inventory or the Auction House.

---

Primary Gear - all of the above but gives you the ability to slot modifications, and these are the keys to higher power levels.

Avoid the Bold/Adventurous Gear if you can - these drop from Lockboxes but are generally poor value. Even with good modifications added they'll still be behind random drops from street enemies.

How to Get it:

Random drops from enemies (farming VB or Monster Island is a good idea)
    Recognition Vendors (MCPD/UNTIL tokens)
    Completing Story Arcs - these give some great gear. The Elder Worms missions on MI and the Vibora Bay Apocalypse are good places for decent Primaries as you get near/pass level 40.
    Auction House
    Questionite/Drifter Stores
    Champions Recog Stores
    Onslaught

How much effort to put in - This is your endgame focus, but it's a balance. Gear with all the slots won't excel if you don't have decent mods.

• senzsunsenzsun Posts: 70 Arc User
    Better still, you can find certain items of gear, e.g., remission eyepiece, from drops or in the AH that are not available from the recognition vendor and which have significantly better stats.

===================================

I am not bad at punctuation!
    MMORPGs are just bad at recognizing non QWERTY. :#