test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Northwatch 2.0 (Converting to FreeForm)

locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 330 Arc User
edited April 2021 in Builds and Roles
Black Tempest was a mediocre build that was good [not great] for mundane content, and pretty underwhelming for PvP (what he was supposed to exist for). As such, I made the tough choice to end his journey on CO, and use his FF slot to upgrade a much more deserving toon.

I have grown to love Northwatch so much since making him. He is the toon I wanted to make when I first started my account, but wasn't quite able to achieve. I plan to take his Behemoth core and simply improve upon that build as much as possible.

51053679756_a87620c5b4_o.png
51013254045_764eb58210_o.png

Old Behemoth Layout:
Northwatch - The Behemoth (Tank)
v3.44:36

Super Stats
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 7: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Tireless (Rec: 8)
Level 20: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 25: Mighty (Str: 8)
Level 30: Enduring (Con: 8)

Powers
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Pummel)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Rampant)
Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Thunderclap (Rank 2, Collateral Damage)
Level 14: Enrage
Level 17: Uppercut (Rank 2, Reckless Endangerment)
Level 21: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 25: Pulverizer
Level 30: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift, Challenge!)
Level 35: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 40: Call To Battle (Work Up, Challenge!)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Mach Speed

Specializations
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Resolute (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

New Layout:

Northwatch 2.0 - Freeform (Hybrid)

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: Superhuman (Str: 12, Con: 12)
Level 6: Mighty (Str: 8)
Level 9: Enduring (Con: 8)
Level 12: Agile (Dex: 8)
Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Pummel)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Rampant)
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift, Challenge!)
Level 20: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Parry (Rank 2)
Level 26: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
Level 32: Call To Battle (Intimidating Force, Challenge!)
Level 35: Pulverizer
Level 38:

Travel Powers

Specializations
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Strength: Overpower (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)

The main thing is that he can do more to heal himself. Feel free to suggest away, this is a project build now.
Post edited by locochoco#7652 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I'd prob just get R3 on Conviction, since the Rev AoE heal won't be that much as a non-support. Now that it's an FF, you can also opt to drop Call to Battle for something that has a lower cd and perhaps more impact- like, maybe you can use that slot towards TClap now, or something (maybe a threat wipe if you are in dps mode and don't want aggro? Or maybe just another heal power. I dunno, it's kinda just up to you and what else you want to add). I may also swap R3 in Resurgence for R3 in the block enhancer, since R3 Resurgence is more likely to be over-heal than R2, and the block is good for a tank.

It looks like you want to settle on Uppercut instead of Haymaker. That's okay if you really like Uppercut, but I may still add a way to put up the Demolish debuff in there somewhere. If you want to free up more adv points, you could prob drop the adv on Mighty Leap (Reckless is nice for Haymaker's adv, but you aren't taking that here). I may also get Brutality instead of Overpower in STR PSS, and you could also consider getting Elusive in Warden spec. Protector spec is very good for a tank build, but you could also consider Vindicator or Guardian if you want more of a hybrid-dps focus. Dex SS is also good to boost your dmg and threat a bit more, but if you are having energy issues then you could go back to Rec SS to help alleviate that (some +Rec Talents can also help a small amount). Overall, nitpicking aside, the build looks like it could work pretty well atm.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 330 Arc User
    Turns out conviction drops on you if you take dmg. And I don't mind the way I have CtB set up rn. I find Thunerclap isn't that good for the cooldown or range, considering you need 2 adv points to make it effective.

Super Stats
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: Superhuman (Str: 12, Con: 12)
    Level 12: Agile (Dex: 8)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 6: Mighty Leap
    Level 20: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Call To Battle (Intimidating Force, Work Up, Challenge!)
    Level 35: Pulverizer
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers

Specializations
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)
    Well, you'd take Conviction mostly for the heal component, and not really for the temp health boost, but ERush is a good heal here too. CtB is still not a power I'd recommend, but do w/e floats your boat. I'm not sure I'd get a self-res here either, since dying as a tank wipes aggro and there's no taunt mechanic in CO. Rebirth does also damage you for your maxHP over time, so you may want a different self-res, if you're set on getting one. I'd still prob advise getting Demolish or a another Crushing debuff in the long run, since it'll allow you to do more dmg w/ Uppercut, primarily.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited April 2021
    Rebirth is less about my aggro level (dying is dying, aggro has nothing to do with having to respawn), and more about managing my own deaths and not having to drop back to the nearest spawn point, at which time you just form up and get back to fighting anyway. Same aggro grind, same lack of proper taunting. It's just about getting back into the fight then and there, no help needed, no respawn required. And Rebirth gives you some nice advantages and buffs when returning anyway.

I don't see much room to add something like Demo without forcing it just for a lil dmg buff.

Post edited by locochoco#7652 on
    Oh yeah, I forgot. I was thinking about adding Thundering Kicks somewhere, somehow for the avoidance buffs, and another small cone AoE brawler move. I would almost be willing to test run both CtB and T. Kicks at length, considering the possibility of making that trade.

I haven't actually used CtB yet, ever, but I like the move for a few reasons, and they are as follows: Reckless provides a knock resistance buff that greatly appeals to a tank like me, who never wants to be knocked back. It also gives that Knock res. buff to my nearby allies. Furthermore the way I've set it up, it provides the additional selfheal buff, but mainly it knocks enemies down, feeding my Enrage and Pulv ticks, as well as popping an extra layer of challenge, and my challenge is debilitating. To me that is a pretty versatile power to have laying around because I don't want all dmg powers - that was one of BT's biggest problems.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Rebirth causes you to take damage over time. So it rezes you and then starts to kill you again. Better is Fiery Embrace.

Elusive in Warden might be more helpful for a tank than Tenacious?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    I don't see much room to add something like Demo without forcing it just for a lil dmg buff.
    I mean, it's not really little, but for a tank it is a bit less of a priority than it would be for a dps. Perhaps when you learn the content more and are dying less you could look to changing the self-res for something else.
    I haven't actually used CtB yet, ever, but I like the move for a few reasons, and they are as follows: Reckless provides a knock resistance buff that greatly appeals to a tank like me, who never wants to be knocked back. It also gives that Knock res. buff to my nearby allies. Furthermore the way I've set it up, it provides the additional selfheal buff, but mainly it knocks enemies down, feeding my Enrage and Pulv ticks, as well as popping an extra layer of challenge, and my challenge is debilitating. To me that is a pretty versatile power to have laying around because I don't want all dmg powers - that was one of BT's biggest problems.
    Hm, so you hadn't been using it yet.. Well, the potential effects of the power are good for a tank on paper, I'll admit. The main issue really is just the longer cd making it weaker than it could be. Perhaps if the cd more closely matched the length of a buff like Reckless it'd be something I'd recommend, but not really atm.
    When I look at making a 'tank' build, I'm not just thinking 'HP, defense, aggro. HP, defense, aggro." My thinking here is that gaining a bit of offense every time I take dmg (sort of my whole role), is much, much better for a tank, than shaving off a tiny bit of dmg from AoE type attacks. The whole point of a tank is not needing things like Elusive, because they are built to shrug that damage off to begin with. It's why I have Resurge, Endorphin Rush, and want CtB for healing in addition to the extra knock attempts.

To me it makes much more sense to turn all dmg into a bit offense, vs shave a tiny portion of only AoE attacks. Perhaps my logic is not Champions enough yet.

And you're right, the goal is to not being dying much. But let's face it, we all die sometimes. I don't want to not be able to revive myself in the rare cases that I may die.

I will probably make the rez my second to last power, CtB my last, and leave that last power slot as a floating power I can remove and replace as times/tastes/content requires. Because CtB accounts for enough adv pts to work with any power conpletely.
    Elusive in Warden is pretty nice for a defensive option, and mostly cause high-end bosses can use many AoE attacks that it can passively mitigate. So it could potentially be a good pick here, but it somewhat depends on what you want to prioritize for the build and to a degree what content you do.
    I will probably make the rez my second to last power, CtB my last, and leave that last power slot as a floating power I can remove and replace as times/tastes/content requires. Because CtB accounts for enough adv pts to work with any power conpletely.
    Yea, that sounds like a pretty good idea in the long run.
    edited April 2021
    Energy was a bit of an issue, especially when wanting to go into every mob by smacking power shift to draw aggro, and suck the ranged units into my D.Combo range.

Furthermore, Dex wasn't contributing to my build much aside from the core effects, and when taking a closer look at my power set, too many of them scale with Rec for me to overlook it entirely.

And, since Tenacious and Elusive aren't even in the same block, one can have both.

EDIT: Northwatch 2.0 - Freeform (Hybrid)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 12: Tireless (Rec: 8)
    Level 18: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 23: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Indestructible (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Pulverizer
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Call To Battle (Intimidating Force, Work Up, Challenge!)

Travel Powers

Specializations
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)

Devices

I've switched over to Defensive Expertise to trim the cooldown on Resurge and Indestructible, because Unstoppable was an error that slipped through the cracks.
    Ah, I thought you were going for a dual-passive build there w/ Unstoppable (which could also be a good approach, if you like some flexibility). Well, you can have 2 ADs as a tank, but they now share the same cd when used, so you'll have to pick whether you want the big heal or the mitigation cd each time. R3 Masterful Dodge is also prob a better mitigation cd for tanks than R3 Indestructible, since you already have high defenses as a tank and R3 MD's 100% dodge will turn its 60%+ avoidance into reliable further mitigation. The switch to Rec SS also sounds fine, if you needed the energy boost.
    edited May 2021
    Through more extensive play using the build, I realized I don't exactly need any of the things I had wanted CtB for. I also elected to take Aggressor for an active to boost my dmg, as well as avoid another active defense hindering my Resurge timing at any point in time.

The plan is still to keep the last power as swappable slot. Right now Rebirth represents that floating power slot, despite how it appears right now.

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 11: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 26: Pulverizer
    Level 29: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices
    I'd prob consider getting an Ult, like Unleashed Rage or Catastrophic Pummeling, and/or a means to put up the Demolish debuff for Uppercut. Aside from determining those free power slots, the build overall looks okay atm.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Personally, I'd either swap Aggressor for Imbue or more likely drop the AO entirely for Hurl with the Didn't See that Coming adv to add in a power that gives you Demolish, which is more useful than the small boosts one gets from an AO. Flow is right that an Ult is handy, especially one with Commanding Presence like UR or maybe Devastating Strike to help grab aggro.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited May 2021
    The build handles wonderfully. Good damage, durable, and with my particular setup, the only thing slowing him down is the cooldown on pulverizer kickbacks. That being said, it still feels very OP, and is the only EU for the build.

I don't see anything on Uppercut for Demonlish specifically, and I'd be hesitant to take R3 off of uppercut, because it's doing very nice damage right now. I went ahead and added Demolish, and took Catastrophic Pummeling as a ultimate.

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 29: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Catastrophic Pummeling (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices
    I don't see anything on Uppercut for Demonlish specifically, and I'd be hesitant to take R3 off of uppercut, because it's doing very nice damage right now. I went ahead and added Demolish, and took Catastrophic Pummeling as a ultimate.
    Yea, we just meant getting another power to put up Demolish, since Uppercut alone doesn't have the option to do that (as you observed). Demolish (the power itself) is a fine option for that, though you may want to consider its knock adv for Enrage and Pulv. Hurl w/ the Disorient and Demolish on Disorient advs, as Jaaz mentioned, can also be a good pick for that, if you want to stay in Might and if it's thematic enough. Regardless, hope the build continues to work well for you.
    edited May 2021
    The problem with Hurl is that it's ranged damage, not melee. I'd rather have a power that sits cohesively in my build if its sole purpose is to apply demo.

Demolish is providing a mild damage boost against any type of target. Any dmg boost is a good dmg boost I suppose, but it's going to need to be paired with a good offensive buff power to be worth writing home about or restructuring a build around. I think this may fall back to a foregone conclusion school of thinking on builds. It's not doing much to provide extra damage, especially when bossing.

As such, it's going to be shelfed for later development and I'm throwing up Cat. Pum. to get used to that power.

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 29: Catastrophic Pummeling (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Demolish
    Level 38: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers

Specializations

Devices

The only purpose of Demolish is to pop demo, so I would rather put those adv points into a more dynamic power, particularly something to compliment that very minor dmg increase.
    edited May 2021
    ~18% more dmg overall on longer boss fights isn't really minor (and other players using that dmg type can benefit), and is why most builds that do high-end and/or group content feature a debuff like it that suits their dmg type (while an AO can boost final dmg even less after diminishing returns and getting better gear and dmg buffs, and only has an uptime of about 16-20% due to the cd). That said, not ranking Demolish does mean that it's not as efficient to throw into a rotation, and obv as a single-target attack it's not as useful in AoE, and prob won't matter much in short fights, either way. If you are still doing content where it's mostly AoE and short engagements, then I'd say that Demolish isn't really a priority to include then.
    edited May 2021
    -12% enemy resistance toward crushing. At present that percentage is very, very low. To the point where you can hardly notice the difference when Demo is applied. If I were DPS unit, I'd be obsessing over every point of dps. But My uppercut is arleady wrecking wholesale ****, in all forms of content, PvP included. Four cuts and most players are kissing concrete.
    It's 18%, cause of the 12% Crushing + the 6% all Physical that also applies (it'll change to just 18% Crushing w/ the upcoming changes on the PTS). Also, I wouldn't agree that even 12% is very very low (and certainly not a boost that's closer to 20%), but you are correct that it's more important for a dps unit. Yet at the same time an 18% debuff for longer fights is still a good option if you have leftover power slots that you don't need to devote to helping your survival as a tank.
    edited May 2021
    Ah, that makes sense. Paired with Aggressor I believe it can make my endgame dps much better. I've left it Rank 1 because it's not a dmg priority power, it's a way to apply Demo to bosses. I've also ditched my flight point to invest in Commadning Presence on Unleashed Rage, as Cat. Pum. is a lockbox item (</3 ugh, that hurt. Nice ultimate).

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 29: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Demolish
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3, Commanding Presence)

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Flight

Specializations

Devices

Yeah UR is still a good Ult, esp w/ the threat adv. It won't apply Overpower for the group, but at least it's an easier Ult to use, in that its dmg is all instant and upfront. The one Ult I prob wouldn't take from Might is Final Punch, since it expires all of your toggle/form stacks. You could also potentially buy locked Ults from the AH or from trading w/ other players, if you have the resources.