test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endorphin Rush vs Conviction

metalheadbetametalheadbeta Posts: 119 Arc User
I've been thinking about this all day, but I'm wondering. For a DPS toon that isn't going to be used for Endgame content, would Endorphin Rush be a better choice than Conviction for an additional self heal? Is ER better than Conviction for any sort of build?

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    ER scales w/ Con and Rec, but cannot crit, while Conviction can crit, but scales w/ Pres (like most heals). I'd say ER is generally better for tanks since they normally stack Con (and may not always have high crit/severity), and Conviction is generally better for dps that have high crit/severity (and for Supports w/ high Pres, ofc). That's just speaking broadly, though, as either could fit into many different types of builds. Conviction also takes more energy to use overall, but that's prob not gonna be a big issue for builds that are put together well. Keep in mind that they aren't mutually exclusive either (though ER is exclusive w/ BCR); you could get both (or neither, if you have something like Resurgence and are fine relying more on healing devices as backup, for instance).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    ER scales w/ Con and Rec, but cannot crit, while Conviction can crit, but scales w/ Pres (like most heals). I'd say ER is generally better for tanks since they normally stack Con (and may not always have high crit/severity), and Conviction is generally better for dps that have high crit/severity (and for Supports w/ high Pres, ofc). That's just speaking broadly, though, as either could fit into many different types of builds. Conviction also takes more energy to use overall, but that's prob not gonna be a big issue for builds that are put together well. Keep in mind that they aren't mutually exclusive either (though ER is exclusive w/ BCR); you could get both (or neither, if you have something like Resurgence and are fine relying more on healing devices as backup, for instance).

I do believe that Conviction stops working if you are damaged right?, or not heals all the way.
    Psi.
  • metalheadbetametalheadbeta Posts: 119 Arc User
    cryneting wrote: »

I do believe that Conviction stops working if you are damaged right?, or not heals all the way.

It does. Way I see it, it counts as a free hit before you go down but that's it
    edited April 2021
    cryneting wrote: »

You mean the HP-boosting portion of it? Yeah that goes away when hit, but usually you aren't taking the power for that part of it, but rather for the heal itself.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    You mean the HP-boosting portion of it? Yeah that goes away when hit, but usually you aren't taking the power for that part of it, but rather for the heal itself.

Ah I see, cuz that's always sorta shy-ed me away from that power, I used to use it a lot but I've noticed even on high cirt builds, spamming it, to try stay in high HP is a bit difficult at times (depending whats going on at the time) but sense useing ER I've been finding it much harder to be killed (on tanks anyway or Hybrid Tanks) given you heal on both sources (taking damage or dealing damage).

Tho I wonder how non tank builds will benefit with ER
    Psi.
    edited April 2021
    ERush is okay on non-Tanks, though it'll be noticeably weaker since you're prob not stacking Con or Rec then (though a few builds may gear Rec if using a Rec-scaling toggle/form). Its special adv also has some utility for moving around faster in combat, if desired, though that excludes getting it to Rank3.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I've wanted to try a rec scaling fire build with ER for a while now, but I have no idea how well it would work honestly. But it feels like it would be fun to try at least. ER does work pretty well on certain healer builds too if you want some extra sustain.

I don't like conviction personally. Admittedly I have a long standing bias against it for being so widely used. Folks just want a quick heal power and it does the job. But these days, there are plenty if alternatives out there that work just as well, if not better, depending on the powerset. Regardless, in most cases neither of these should be a requirement for a DPS. In balls-hard places like TT it makes sense, sure. But most often, that job is just left to the healer, which conviction works better for anyway.