test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee-Support Build Theorycrafting

lyriouslyrious Posts: 21 Arc User
edited April 2021 in Builds and Roles
I am considering buying a Freeform slot, and would like to make a Support style character that fight's primarily from Melee Range, while maintaining a solid theme/identity. I like being able to Heal, but would also like to Buff/Debuff, and CC. I know I am not going to be able to do everything I'd like but I would like to discuss my options with those more knowledgeable about character building than I.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    What melee powerset(s) do you want to sample from for your attacks? I imagine as a melee healer that you'd mostly want pbAoEs, but you'd still prob want at least one normal ally heal for range and tanks. Since most heals in CO are magic-based, you'd prob have to be okay w/ that for your theme, but you could pair that w/pretty much any melee set you'd like. There's also many stuns in melee sets, so you could just take one of those to proc stuff like Wither, Concussion, and/or Sentinel Mastery.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • lyriouslyrious Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I am not entirely sure, I have seen builds with Ego Blades, and With Hand to Hand, these are normally just Heal + DPS, and I would like a more robust support toolkit than that, though I guess a little Single Target or PBAoE CC could be pretty fun. I had fiddled with a Tech based one with the "Light Saber" a while back, but have no idea how that would actually pan out, and frankly I do like Magic as a theme better than Tech, It's just I do like HoT and/or shield healing a bit more than burst healing (not that I am anti-bust healing). I remember trying out Ego Blades and not being a big fan, so I guess I am leaning Martial Arts, or maybe Feral or Infernal Supernatural if there is a good option for that? Like a "Druid" build, or something like the Witch Archetype only with some Melee mixed in? Do you think that's workable?

To be honest I have only really played with the Sword, way back when the game first came out, and mostly have just played the Devastator as almost every time the family and I have gotten back into the game a Freefrom has been out of my wallet range.
    edited April 2021
    Yea, the melee set you pick doesn't quite matter as much as a melee healer, since the backbone of your kit is support, and not dps-oriented. If ya want something like the Witch, but melee-oriented, then maybe a mix of Infernal w/ Bestial will do. Here's an example build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Support)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
    Level 6: Compassion
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Frenzy (Rank 2, Fear Sense)
    Level 14: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide)
    Level 20: Conjuring
    Level 23: Pillar of Poz (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Gifts of the Storm)
    Level 29: Death's Embrace (Rank 2, Pact)
    Level 32: Feint
    Level 35: Antagonize (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Rejuvenated (2/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (1/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
    Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)
    Arbiter: Preservation (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

The Wisp can help roll Conjuring easily, so you'll prob want to have it up at all times in combat. The Wisp buffs (Illum) and debuffs (Illum, Poisons), while Pillar of Poz leaves a healing rune around you (you could also take the Disorient or Jinx advs on Pillar, if you want). If you have Moonstruck unlocked in Bestial, then you could potentially replace Pillar w/ that.

DE is your main single-target attack here, while Frenzy can be your pbAoE attack. BCR's Gift's adv can also help heal allies around you when BCR is used. I included Iniquity for a normal ally/tank heal, and you'll have both ally and self-reses. Feint can also be used to CC and/or proc Sentinel Mastery, Wither, and Concussion on the target (you can also put up Rend when you crit an enemy w/ any attack). I took AoPM as the passive here since it's versatile, but you can pick any of the support passives, depending on what you want to focus on. When solo, you can opt to play in the Hybrid role for more personal dps. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and Int.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited April 2021
    Ty this looks interesting, and was a lot of help.
    Post edited by lyrious on
    edited April 2021
    Edit: Oh, you edited out most of your last reply. Well, let us know if you still want help exploring other options here, but have fun out there, regardless.
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, I felt like I could handle it from here. What I meant was I was thinking of flavoring the character more "Druidy". The fact that I will be stuck with the powers standard appearance is a bit disconcerting, but most as far as I am aware should be fine. Is Infernal Bolt shooting the Chain Standard? (Neverminded checked it out in game separate power... The Green Energy Blast should work fine.)
    Alternatively is the Gadgets support build using a couple of Melee Attacks and the Block from (I think Power Armor?), do you think that would be feasible? If so what all do you think I'd need to take?
    Post edited by lyrious on
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, you could even change the energy builder if you re-ordered the powers a bit, but that shouldn't matter as much anyways since ideally you should rarely (or never) be using it at high level. If you're okay w/ Infenral's then that's fine too.

Gadgeteering support would be a bit more limited since there's less tech-based heals to pick from (unless you are okay w/ suspending your disbelief a bit more), but what sort of melee would you want for that? Laser Sword? An MA weapon? Gadgeteering only has Gauntlet Chainsaw as a melee attack, and while its dps is high it's also very expensive to use, and PA is a fully ranged set.
    Was thinking Lazer Sword, for some reason I misremember it being part of PA.

edited April 2021
    Yeah, LS used to be part of PA, before it got made into its own set. Either way, here's a LS-based 'tech' support build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Support)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 9: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Sonic Blaster
    Level 1: Lightspeed Strike (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
    Level 6: Lightwave Slash (Rank 2, Burn Bright)
    Level 8: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Compassion
    Level 14: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 23: Particle Wave (Illuminate)
    Level 26: Particle Smash (Light Everlasting, Null Value)
    Level 29: Resurrection Serum (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (2/3)
    Arbiter: Preservation (1/2)

Particle Smash can put up a stun here (and deal a bit of burst dmg), while Particle Wave can clump up mobs in AoE and also be used to put up Illum (both powers and Conviction can also help proc MSA). Otherwise, Lightspeed Strike can be your main single-target attack, and Lightwave Slash can be your main AoE.

For the theme, I included Bionic Shielding in there, though it has an effective cd per target used and requires the person to get hit to work. So while it's a nice tank heal, it's not like a normal ally heal, which is why I prob wouldn't replace one w/ it. Protection Field in Force is another option, but it's also not like a normal heal. Arcane Vit is in Sorc, but you could make it seem like it's a healing solution ejected from your costume's gauntlets or something. Since there's not many tech-based heals, you'll prob have to get a bit creative, regardless, or just be okay w/ putting more magic-based stuff in there. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and Int.
    Thanks, honestly I ended up buying the three pack so I will probably end up playing with both of these Builds, thanks a lot for your help!
    No problem; good luck out there 8)
    Been playing with the Supernatural Healer, and really enjoying it, though iniquity can be quite punishing (Especially sense it feels like the enemy knows when I need to swap from healing an ally to healing myself, and always swaps target at the most inopportune time, leading with a knockback...) not swapping it out just yet, but if it does become too much of a problem (I do enjoy the unique gameplay synergy it offers), what would you suggest for another primary heal.

As far as the tech healer, I was wondering where I could slot in Support Drones? They where one of my favorite parts about playing the Inventor, but this is a pretty tight build so I am not sure if there is room.
    edited April 2021
    Oh, that target swap is happening simply because Iniquity can't be used to heal yourself (rather, it drains your health to heal others, which is why it's HPS is very high and it has no energy cost). Although no spam-able heal matches Iniquity's output atm, there are other normal heals you could get that can also be used on yourself (unlike Iniquity). If you want to keep the long-range, then Celestial's Rebuke or TP's Psionic Healing can fill that role, and are pretty cheap. Their HPS won't be as high, but at least they can also crit to help make up for it.

The Support Drones can be killed pretty easily to boss AoE, and their healing doesn't scale up as well (since they're pets) so I wouldn't normally take them. You could maybe swap Bionic Shielding for them, though, or I guess Particle Wave or Conviction, though I prob wouldn't recommend it over one of the latter two.
    edited April 2021
    Oh, no i know it doesn't heal me, what I mean is the moment my health get's to about half I fill back up with DE, It's just it seems I have had some crappy luck as far as timing goes. (I got CC'd and focused 5 times last night, just as I went to play Dracula...) I am thinking once I get a bit more meat to me, and that passive healing aura from Sentinel Aura (That is the one with the AoE HoT right?) along with BCR and to a lesser degree Pillar of Poz it should work out a little better. It also does not help concerning what content we where doing (3-maning resistance at level 14-15, which happened due to a mix up, and me forgetting what Resistance actually was, we did get to Shadow Destroyer though...)

The more I looked at the Tech build the more I realized as much fun as the Drones can be, I didn't really want to swap anything for them.

Thanks for getting back to me.
    edited April 2021
    Ah, I see. I just misread your reply about Iniquity- my bad. Yeah, Iniquity can imperil you a bit, which is why pairing it w/ Pres PSS's Selfless Ally is nice to help nullify much of the self-dmg. Still, it's up to you how/if you want to handle that, but certainly getting more self-healing from the higher level stuff and better gear will make it less of an issue. You could still replace Iniquity at the end of the day, but yeah I'd prob wait to see how it works at a higher level first.

Good luck out there, regardless.
    Ok so I am curious about something Reading Gifts of the Storm on BCR and it says that it causes you to share heals applied to you, but it also says that HoT effects are not shared, So how do I actually trigger that effect, or is it's description deceptive?
    edited April 2021
    When it says that, it's mostly referring to BCR's own HoT, afaik, but most other larger inc heals will impact it. So imo it's still worth keeping up usually, since it's cheap, can help proc Compassion in the background, and has a pretty long duration anyways (unless you don't want BCR's dmg penalty when out solo or w/e).
    edited April 2021
    OK, it's not like I am going to drop BCR, as it's nice to have as a Melee and to counteract Iniquity's HP cost. Just wondering if Gift of the Storm is worth taking. So should DE Trigger it?

Also looking at Will-o-Wisp I am wondering if I have a better option for applying Illuminate? It's not terrible, but It feels a little Niche, even for this build, it basically buffs the damage on my energy builder and DE, but not really the groups damage, than again, I am thinking it's there to proc Conjuring and apply Illumination more than anything else.
    edited April 2021
    From brief testing in the PH's Battle Station w/ pets, it does seem like DE's self-healing triggers Gifts, yes. As far as the Wisp: it's still quite nice for the build overall for a simple instant-cast cd and one power slot. I took it for a combo of it buffing DE (not just its dmg, but also putting up poison for the Phleb adv), helping w/ background healing, and keeping Conjuring rolling easily. You could consider another power, but I suggested the Wisp cause it helps glue the build together a bit more.

You can buff the group's dmg w/ your melee stun via Wither, if desired. You could maybe consider getting Might's Thunderclap (prob w/ the Collateral adv) for an AoE version of the stun instead, if you'd like to also debuff in AoE situations. Another option, if you really like buffing ally dmg more, is to get AoED as the slotted passive instead, though AoPM already does this to a degree (while making energy management easier and boosting maxHP and CC resist a bit).
    edited April 2021
    Ok makes sense. Hmm... Might Consider Thunderclap though it has a recharge... (Not like I am going to be 100%ing Faint though either), Curious does Wither have a duration like Concussion, or is it tied to the Stun?

Also I was really excited to put the effort in to unlock Moonstruck this Halloween, but it almost looks like a flat downgrade over Pillar of Poz, Heck I could even slot Poz for Jinx, get an AoE knockdown, plus Damage Debuff, and have 100% uptime on Conjuring. For Moonstruck I could mod in damage via Nightmare, but I still feel like it's less bang for my buck, & that's assuming that I am willing to trade out that Rank 3 either way. Just not sure it's worth it, (Well Lunar Force is Eyebrow raising) just for a more thematic power, so I was wondering if it was an upgrade (Or viable sidegrade). Especially sense my knock isn't likely to be very high to begin with.
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited April 2021
    lyrious wrote: »
    Curious does Wither have a duration like Concussion, or is it tied to the Stun?

Wither seems to work as long as the control effect lasts, not a fixed duration. It's tough to tell when it's active, since it doesn't have an icon.

Regarding the druid build:

If you do take Thunderclap (which is extremely strong in a Sentinel Mastery setup), Moonstruck's Nightmare advantage could offer some nice synergy compared to Poz. Thunderclap in the middle of a mob, then toss out Moonstruck and let the pyre patch passively trigger Sentinel Mastery ticks.

I'd recommend adding a spammable AoE heal, for when your team needs more than minor healing ticks. Life Essence would fit well, and help further justify Wisp's presence. I'd probably drop BCR for it, as you're already offsetting Iniquity's self-damage with Selfless Ally and Poz/Moonstruck ticks.

You could consider taking Rank 3 on your attack powers, to squeeze out a little more damage.

Drew Id - Freeform (Support)

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 9: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 12: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Compassion
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Will-o'-the-Wisp
    Level 20: Conjuring
    Level 23: Moonstruck (Rank 2, Nightmare)
    Level 26: Life Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Death's Embrace (Pact)
    Level 32: Thunderclap (Rank 2, Collateral Damage)
    Level 35: Antagonize (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Dominion (2/2)
    Presence: Grandeur (1/3)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Arbiter: Arbiter Aura (3/3)
    edited April 2021
    Yea, I mostly considered the Phleb adv instead of R3 on DE here cause of BCR's Gifts, but R3 in it would be what I'd recommend otherwise (esp if you drop BCR, which is fine too if replacing it w/ a formal AoE heal). R3 of Frenzy is fine to take too. The Root on DE's Phleb could also proc Trapped in Overseer spec, but then you'd have to change one of the specs (prob Arbiter) to that, so there's pros and cons to that approach.
    edited April 2021
    Hmm... The one thing I am debating about this approach is I do like having the buff on Frenzy it's a little extra self healing and a Crit Buff that improves both my damage and healing. Which feels nice to try and keep up. Is it worth having, or am I better off going for raw Damage?

Also is there any way to make Thunderclaps visual more... Mystical. (I tried Coloring it, but the effect is VERY minor) It's fine as is, but If there is an option I don't know about (Like some kind of unlockable Super Strength effect, or just a particular color that shows up a bit better) well I'd gladly put the work in for it.
    edited April 2021
    The last adv on Frenzy is just up to you. R3 is good for making it more of a committed AoE attack and killing trash a bit faster w/ it, but the Willpower heal and crit buff can be kinda nice too (though I'm unsure about trying to keep it up in single-target situations, since it's chance-based and takes time away from using DE or doing other things then).

I don't think you'll be able to do much else w/ TClap visually, since colorization doesn't seem to affect most of it that much anyways. R3 is a good bit more visually intense, but it still looks more like a sonicwave.
    Well you are guaranteed to get the buff on the final attack, then you need only refresh it. It's a fairly fast combo, plus adds can be fairly common in some fights. Still I get your point, part of me would really like to get Howl in this Build somehow, but I know well enough how tight it is already, & there just isn't room, + Furious just isn't worth it... Yeah I'll probably go for the damage...
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    Also is there any way to make Thunderclaps visual more... Mystical. (I tried Coloring it, but the effect is VERY minor) It's fine as is, but If there is an option I don't know about (Like some kind of unlockable Super Strength effect, or just a particular color that shows up a bit better) well I'd gladly put the work in for it.

Telekinetic Maelstrom could be a reasonable alternative to Thunderclap, if its visuals are more to your liking.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Telekinetic Maelstrom could be a reasonable alternative to Thunderclap, if its visuals are more to your liking.

Also Shadow Eruption with Blot, though that probably doesn't go well with your theme either.

Also Shadow Eruption with Blot, though that probably doesn't go well with your theme either.

It might if it recolors well, the toon has morphed a bit thematically, so when I get to that point I will definitely check it out.
  • negusonic#7245 negusonic Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Wrong Discussion. Apologies
    Post edited by negusonic#7245 on