test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Darkness CC/OT

phazeunphazeun Posts: 35 Arc User
Hi everyone! I have another build I'd love for review, please!

I'm looking to create an endgame-viable Darkness CC/OT combo build, with an emphasis on the CC role for Cosmics. I got advice from the CO Discord, but would love a second opinion on the build that was recommended to me (with a few slight modifications for theme). Thanks in advance!

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
v3.44:36

Super Stats
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 18: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Shadow Blast (Psychotic Break, Devoid)
Level 6: Shadow Embrace (Draining Shadows, Challenge!)
Level 8: Manipulator
Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Spirit Reverberation
Level 17: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
Level 20: Grasping Shadows (Unyielding Agony, Consumption)
Level 23: Ebon Rift (Rank 2, Endless Void)
Level 26: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Challenge!)
Level 29: Ego Sprites (Challenge!)
Level 32: Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Thundering Return
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (1/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (1/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (1/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Protector: Resolute (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Comments

• locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 330 Arc User
    I feel like Regen would also be a good passive for this build.

I always wanted to make a darkness tank for the CC and selfheal, but wasn't able to reconcile it at that time. This looks very nice. A durable Teneb, which is scary..
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, most defensive passives can be good for these types of CC builds. I'm not that well-versed in these sort of builds, but it looks like it's pretty robust for the role, based off of others I've seen. It'd prob be good to get the healing adv on Ego Sprites, but you'd have to free up 2 adv points for it (maybe by taking out the DoT adv on Grasping Shadows, or R2 of Ebon Rift).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • phazeunphazeun Posts: 35 Arc User
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into getting the adv for Ego Sprites. Out of curiosity, can either of you provide feedback on Regen vs. Invuln as a passive? I've only used Invuln in the past, but since this build does have a lot of healing Regen could be a spicy option. Any thoughts on which would perform better for endgame situations?
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I'd say Invuln is better in a more generalized sense, since its full mitigation bonuses are always 'on', while Regen's dmgRes diminishes w/ health and the healing obv requires you to first take dmg to work. For end-game main-tanking, I'd put Invuln up there w/ Defiance, but I'm guessing that you prob aren't gonna be doing that w/ this character. Regen will prob work well for the CC role you're carving out, and it will still help make you less squishy overall, so I wouldn't say its a bad choice either. If you're unsure, you can always make it the last power/advs that you train for easier retraining of it later.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    If you have access to the PTS you could make both builds (Inv vs Regen) and head to Kiga. You'd be able to play with the dogs and get a feel which one works best for you. Keep in mind that you'll be experiencing "phase 1" dogs so there won't be Kiga sniping you.

• carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited April 2021
    Some notes for Cosmic fights:
    • I wouldn't recommend Unyielding Agony on Grasping Shadows, as the damage tick tends to register before the paralyze takes effect. When used on sleeping Kiga dogs, this momentarily breaks the sleep and gives them time to shift position.
    • Invuln is more desirable at Cosmics, compared to Regen. Assuming you want to pull the dogs yourself at Kiga, you'll be taking heavy damage from Kiga blasts in phase 2. Against Qwyjibo, you may occasionally take a stray fireball. In both cases, the resistance from Invuln offers better protection against a sudden death.
    • Pick up a Psionic Accelerator device. At Qwyjibo, your job is to CC hearts as quickly as possible. You can Ego Sleep 1 heart, then target Qwyjibo and hit the other 2 with Accelerator's cone. Then apply Sleep to those 2 hearts as it recharges. There's other powers that fit the bill (like Taser Arrow), but they might be outside of your theme.
    • With Shadow Embrace as your spammable AoE to gather mobs for offtanking, I'd recommend Mental Leech (with Challenge) over Ego Sprites. Both won't break sleep, and the Dependency effect from Mental Leech offers considerably more healing than the advantage on Ego Sprites.
    • It's a good idea to have defense-slot gear slotted with either Avoidance or Cold Resist for the Kiga pull. A swap-piece with Fire Resist is nice for Qwyjibo.
    • Since you won't be in Support role, you'll want a means to stack Manipulator without waking the dogs. For your build, I'd recommend Ego Storm with Malevolent Manifestation. This also doubles as your "dog catcher" to initially CC them during the pull.
    • At least one point in Protector's Unrelenting is handy for block-walking at Qwyjibo.
    • I'd float Shadow Blast and Ebon Rift to the top of your retcon stack, in case you want to drop them later.

Your Phase 2 Kiga CC would ideally look like this:
    • Use Ego Storms before combat to stack Manipulator.
    • Run close enough to get threat, pop Masterful Dodge. Block and wait for the dogs to move.
    • Hit Ego Storm as they move towards you. Wait a second for it to generate, then resume blocking. When the dogs get in range, they'll be held.
    • With all 4 dogs held, fully charge Ego Sleep and apply Mental Leech.
    • After Ego Storm's hold resist stack wears off (but before sleep ends), apply Grasping Shadows and give it a moment for the paralyze to register.
    • Back up a few steps and use one hit of an AoE (Psionic Accelerator or Shadow Embrace) to break Sleep manually (the timers can eventually desync if you wait for sleep to expire on its own).
    • Wait for the paralyze timer to get low (like 10-15 seconds left) and reapply Sleep.
    • Repeat the paralyze/break sleep/reappply sleep loop.
    • Periodically, move away from the dogs and hit Ego Storm to maintain your Manipulator stack, then move back into Dependency range.
    • Keep up Ego Leech's Dependency to outheal Kiga's storms.

That's a version of the "no dog movement" CC cycle, which will work regardless of how borked the agro becomes. As stratluver mentioned, I'd recommend practicing on the test server if possible.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Here's my take on the build. I'm not sure if by off-tank you mean soak tank and baby tank for Ape and Dino but I made the build with that in mind.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)

Link to this build: https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=36&n=&d=14360nOMSP3j000000L000L10CLB03GB009A03LE03LG0aNK01G703G50GGL047G00LO4OL4002xU00FxY00ju3151M000000&e=
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 9: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 12: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Enduring (Con: 8)
    Level 21: Jack of All Trades (Str: 2, Dex: 2, Con: 2, Int: 2, Ego: 2, Pre: 2, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Shadow Blast (Psychotic Break, Devoid)
    Level 6: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Manipulator
    Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Dimensional Collapse (Envelope in Darkness, Lingering Darkness)
    Level 20: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Mental Leech (Challenge!)
    Level 29: Ego Storm (Malevolent Manifestation)
    Level 32: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 35: Shadow Eruption (Blot, Work Up, Challenge!)
    Level 38: Grasping Shadows
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Battle of Wits (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (1/3)
    Intelligence: Tinkering (2/2)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Sentry: Sentry Aura (2/3)
    Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
    Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Beacon of Hope (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Revenancy
    Slot 2: Telekinetic Force Field Inducer

I switched out REC for INT for the extra CC from Battle of Wits along with Expertise to boost PRE (healing and CC) and CON and to power the MSA energy unlock.

I switched out Ego Sprites for Mental Leech for healing, proccing MSA and applying Challenge's primary and secondary effects.

I also switched out Ebon Rift for Dimensional Collapse to proc Manipulator with the root advantage and refresh Devoid. DC is mostly to make the Devoid debuff mechanic work. If you're making tough choices about what to keep and what not to, you can keep manipulator stacks up while tanking with Ego Storm.

You may want to remove the Psychotic Break advantage from Shadow Blast and either get Rank 2 or use the extra advantage points elsewhere. The rest of the build is primarily 50' ranged powers and you'd need to fire off 2 fully charged SBs to apply fear and then proc Psychotic Break's stun. The build has other ways for you to keep Manipulator stacks up. You could purchase the advantage as one of your last so you can try it out and change it at a low cost if you decide to.

Ego Storm was added to help with pulling Kiga's dogs and for keeping Manipulator stacks up.

I put Shadow Eruption in as one of your last powers. If you don't have it yet, you could get Thundering Return or put in a self heal like Bountiful Chi Resurgence until you can buy it, should you decide you want it. SE can apply Challenge's secondary effect in a 25' radius and Workup on tap, plus Stun on a full charge.

I put Grasping Shadows last as you can get the Bloodmoon device Revenancy and remove the power to replace it with something else, possibly Thundering return or another Paralyze. Two advantage points left over for your travel powers, though you could put them into the Consumption advantage for Grasping Shadows, should you decide to keep it. I find I don't use Grasping Shadows much outside of CCIng Kiga, so Revenancy works well for me.

For Ape you'll want a Paralyze for when Sleep is on cooldown or hearts are being hit. You can use one of your last 2 power slots for an additional Paralyze power. PA's Binding Shot and Bolos are nice as they are tap holds. Tazer Arrow is a nice 100' Paralyze with no cooldown. Ego Storm with a device or two (especially Psionic Accelerator) could theoretically cover you. Devices like Psionic Accelerator (paralyzes 2 hearts at once), Revenancy and/or Telekinetic Force Field Inducer are helpful.

Since this is a dual role build, you may want separate gear for each role. Probably Distinguished for tanking with CON and Defense mods and the CC set with Sentinel, PRE or INT mods, etc..

During phase 1 for CCing dogs, I'd start in the hybrid role and avoid applying Challenge to make it easier for the Dog Walker to get aggro. Then switch to the Tank role for phase 2.