test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heroes and Villains Discussion

2»

Comments

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Random question to Bulgarex, what is the deal with John Devil in the Museum cutscene talking to Kevin Poe, is he mentioned in PnP?
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Nope, not a word. I've seen the theory floated in the CO community that John Devil had something to do with the change to Kevin's powers, maybe some sort of "deal with the devil." If so, that strikes me as very out of character for Poe who's more scientist, although not inconceivable. There are many devils in Western grimoire demonology, of varying rank and powers, lots of them named but implicitly others who aren't. Champions PnP added a few who aren't in the grimoires. Most can be bargained with to grant various blessings or favors, often within a defined specialty.

Perhaps Cryptic devs had some plot in mind when they introduced John Devil, but never got around to it.
    Probably, sad tho, wasted potential I guess even that we got enough magic and supernatural in CO again already by now. I still hope the new series not ends in another Shadow Destroyer plot, I know he is popular but ugh, it is like with Batman and the Joker almost, where everything seems to lead back to him today. Or the more recent comics with the "Batman who laughs". Some things can be repetitive.
    SD may be popular with the developers, but I question whether he has that much support among the fan base. I know that when the true Dr. Destroyer returned during Resistance, I saw quite a few player comments along the lines of being glad to finally get the real deal. ;) I won't inflict my own feelings on the matter on you again.
    Agreed, we definitely tho could see more of him besides on a screen at the Anniversary. Let's hope those Serials they make now will focus on different parts of the game in different places after the Unknowable One's story is finished in this.

I do hope for more focus on each race with each serial on my part, one could focus on the Qularr as example or the Gadroon, or one focuses on the Malvans and the Roin'esh again, would be a great continuing for Whiteout.
    One thing to be learned from Dr. Destroyer's history, is that when he's been quiet for awhile, that's when you should be scared.

These aliens on Earth have been static in CO for years. I agree there needs to be movement on that front. Particularly since there's a lot happening behind the scenes that Humanity isn't aware of yet.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    For instance, I just created a character who introduced Roller Derby to the Malvan empire. Most humans don't know anything about how she did that ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited March 2021
    If nobody dies on the track, I doubt it will last.

EDIT: The chapter on Malvan culture in Champions Beyond makes it clear that most Malvans are supremely jaded and frequently bored, always looking for some new diversion: sports, art, fashion, history, philosophy, collecting rare whatever, etc. Only a few ever find something that holds their interest for an extended period. Sometimes a new fad will sweep the planet for a few weeks or even months, but always peters out. Only blood sports have demonstrated enduring popularity.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
    Oh yes, lots of blood. That's why I did the Nemesis grind for the spiky gladiator bits ;). The Roller Derby phase in the Malvan empire did last only a few years. That's how she was able to get back to earth.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    If nobody dies on the track, I doubt it will last.
    Fortunately, we have the Battle Angel Alita option...
    edited March 2021
    Found the Stronghold Villain again Bulgarex, the werewolf I meant, but I assume he is just a random one still but for the sake of completion.
    Black_Dog.png
    It is just odd since he is one of those with the key cards and sort of same level as Medusa and the others in there.
    Yes, just a filler with no lore behind him. This thread has led me to conclude that's all many of the characters in CO were ever intended to be. Emphasis on enemies to fight, not NPCs to role play with.
    Sadly, yes, tho I still hope for closer looks at factions and such with the serials, and some conclusions to things like Whiteout or Luther Blacks fate as "living on in mankind nightmares". I miss the Adventure Packs and Comic series. I also would not mind a full out fight between big factions for once if we go for epic instead of lore, like when VIPER assisted against DEMON as backstory in game was.
    Although no one on Champions Earth knows it yet, the Qularr and Gadroon are at war, and they both want Earth. That could blow up quite epically. Particularly since they're both being manipulated by Istvatha V'han, to test and degrade Earth's defenses preparatory to her next invasion.
    Well it is somewhat stated in the perk lore here and there. So that is mentioned at least, even that we have never seen an open conflict, guess same what is up with the Roin'esh and the Malvans. The old "show, don't tell" problem of such I guess.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Although no one on Champions Earth knows it yet, the Qularr and Gadroon are at war, and they both want Earth. That could blow up quite epically. Particularly since they're both being manipulated by Istvatha V'han, to test and degrade Earth's defenses preparatory to her next invasion.

It would be so wonderful if the "Empress", which was mentioned in the finale of the Comic Series on the spaceship, is finally featured in an upcoming content.

I agree, but V'han is as big a deal as it gets in this setting, in many ways an even greater threat to Earth than Dr. Destroyer. Doing her justice in a game event would probably require more resources than Perfect World is willing to apportion to this game. That doesn't mean she can't be worked in in some way, but I fear it would be an anticlimactic way.
    Guess game wise, content is content but would be wonderful if it still would be epic and memorable.
    After all there is much lore to her still and many theories.
    https://championsonline.fandom.com/wiki/Istvatha_V'han
    "Much lore?" Massive understatement. Book of the Empress is a 240-page volume detailing V'han's entire history, her motivations and methods, her campaigns and plans of conquest, her troops and weapons, her supervillain-class operatives, the organization and key personnel of her immense empire, her major enemies, and a selection of the myriad dimensions under her governance, as well as a survey of the Champions multiverse. You could base a whole gaming campaign around opposing Istvatha and exploring the V'hanian Empire.
    So many possibilities but as you stated Perfect World would need to put money in it for once. Potential as always not used sadly.
    How long have players wanted an actual fight against Dr. Destroyer? I mean, he's already an asset in the game, but for whatever reason, the Devs have never created a confrontation against him.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    "Much lore?" Massive understatement. Book of the Empress is a 240-page volume detailing V'han's entire history, her motivations and methods, her campaigns and plans of conquest, her troops and weapons, her supervillain-class operatives, the organization and key personnel of her immense empire, her major enemies, and a selection of the myriad dimensions under her governance, as well as a survey of the Champions multiverse. You could base a whole gaming campaign around opposing Istvatha and exploring the V'hanian Empire.

Massive... definitely out of reach of a meaningful encounter... we could just enjoy a smaller advance for the plot.

But yeah, likely the end of that mission was just a nod to the Empress and the story behind its plots... not really something that was planned seriously.

As Jaazaniah pointed out, we still haven't fought the real Dr. Destroyer, just that shadow impostor.

edited April 2021
    To me, the perfect way for this game to show it was committed to turning a corner, as well as establishing Dr. Destroyer's bona fides, would be a series in which DD turns the tables on Shadow D, captures him, and kills him. It wouldn't have to have any impact on the wider CO world, other than demonstrating that the one true Destroyer is the one to fear.