test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Tempest 2.0

locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
edited March 2021 in Builds and Roles
I remastered Black Tempest using his old power set as a baseline and am happy to report that he is performing wonderfully. His DPS is up and he is still able to withstand some opposition in various skirmishes.

Although some may not agree with me, I finally have a Spec tree that is working very well with my build logic.

Black Tempest 2.0 - Freeform (Hybrid)
v3.44:36

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Indomintable (Ego: 8)
Level 9: Enduring (Con: 8)
Level 12: Tireless (Rec: 8)
Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 18: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Mind the Uniform, Challenge!)
Level 6: Bullet Hail (Wall of Bullets, Boogeyman, Challenge!)
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Concentration
Level 14: Strike Down (Break Through, Challenge!)
Level 17: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2)
Level 23: Resurgence
Level 26: Overdrive
Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Endorphin Rush
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 26/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Acrobatics
Level 35:

Specializations
Ego: Mental Endurance (1/3)
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Ego: Mind over Matter (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices

EDIT: Fixed his Innate. I had drafted a version with Endurance as an SS.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Yea, Warden + Guardian is a fine spec combo, though you could also consider Guardian_Warden + Vindicator (Ward_Guardicator). I'd prob get Follow Through in Ego PSS (and keep 6th Sense) and get Ruthless in Guardian (since Locus is kinda weak); the severity bonuses can be a nice dps/threat boost. Mind Over Matter in Ego PSS won't do much here since you don't really have many melee knocks (just a quick KD on the lunge). Insight in Ego PSS can also help you if you're still having some energy issues. Also, Overdrive prob isn't going to return as much energy as Killer Instinct (esp since it scales more w/ End than Rec), but it will work w/ Eye of the Storm at least (though EotS is also pretty cheap).

You'll prob want to get TGM fully ranked up, and eventually rank up ERush, but I assume they're not just cause you're still in the process of leveling. The build does look pretty good overall so far, assuming it's still trying to do some pvp. You'll prob want to get the Armor Piercing adv on the Shotgun too, since it will boost the dmg of your Muni attacks (mainly for TGM). I'd prob also get a ranked block enhancer eventually, if you want to do more group-based pve stuff.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I was debating on whether or not R3 or Close The Gap would be better for dps, because I can close that gap at any time with Strike Down, and often like to get in there (I DETEST tanks who have high aggro, but not a tactical bone in their body. If you're a tank, you need to be the point man, holding the enemy line, setting up kill boxes, protecting buff zones, etc. As a build that thrives on AoE dmg, there's nothing more annoying that ranged tanks staggering the enemy all over hell's half acre). However, if R3 ends up having more or even slightly less dmg, it would be my preferred choice. I will take more dmg at closer ranges, but I don't want it to become a close range move, so any extra dmg earned from CTG adv would have to be very stated, otherwise I'll keep it more versatile at rank 3.

He's currently lvl 30, so Endorphin Rush is my next planned power, and I'll be able to test it out. Spending all of my adv points before every power is properly addressed has been a problem of mine with the Hero Creator. So you'll notice I do not purchase ranks that only provide additional default stacks. Not ranking powers like Concentration saved a lot of points, but I'm still conserving points on the schematic so I don't create any pickles for myself.
    Yeah, CtG is optimal for TGM, but you have to be in melee range to really make use of it, and it can have issues against targets w/ very large hitboxes. It's really just up to you, though, as there's merit to either choice.

And you could kinda do a mixed approach to conserving adv points where you save some for later, but spend all but 2-4 of them before the last power (assuming the last power is still up in the air, but you also may want to rank it), if you want.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    I've laid out a plan, with the last 3 powers being up in the air for testing and potential swapping for better fits.

My 2nd TP is also a placeholder. Ideally it would be Jet Boots, but I don't have access to it at present.

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 6: Indomitable (Ego: 8)

Powers
    Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Rank 2, Mind the Uniform, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Strike Down (Challenge!)
    Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Close the Gap)
    Level 32: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Frag Grenade (Rank 2, Cuts and Scrapes)
    Level 38: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations

Devices
    Yea, that build looks like it'll be pretty functional- esp w/ the last 3 powers helping to round it out (a normal heal in ERush, a block enhancer, and a good DoT + AP debuff in the grenade). I'd still favor KI to Overdrive here, and you prob don't need Challenge on both Shotgun Blast and Bullet Hail (you can save 1 adv point to further rank up a travel power, at least). I'd prob also get Endorphin Rush to R3, and maybe get Resurgence to R2 (LNL isn't as important here, and you're already getting Furious from TGM and Bullet Hail). I'd also change Mind Over Matter in Ego PSS for Follow Through. Mind Over Matter isn't doing much for the build atm, whereas the extra crit severity can help significantly w/ dps (and threat gen, when tanking). I'd prob also get Ruthless over Locus ion Guardian, and Find the Mark is still a good option in the 2nd tier.
    edited March 2021
    Well with Mind over Matter, Strike Down actually knocks more often than not, given that I do not have Strength as a super stat. It just makes my Ego selection compliment my melee that little bit more.

And I love Override. It fits my style of play to a T. I want energy the most when I'm draining it during my maintain powers.

I addressed my Crit severity once already with Ruthless in the Warden tree. As a non-crit build, I chose to stray away from too much severity when the % isn't there to begin with. One ruthless makes sure the crits I do roll count that bit more.
    edited March 2021
    In terms of resurge and LNL, I keep LNL maxed because it boosts the raw damage buff to 80%. I want that buff, otherwise I'd just ditch the form and get another power. I also like LNL because it's doesn't favor either range or melee as most forms do. It's a flat 42/60/80% to all attacks.

Resurge, on the other hand, is OP and more than enough to hold me down even at R1
    edited March 2021
    LNL is not a form/toggle, but an Active Offense (ie. a burst dps cd w/ low uptime, and a hold break), and any AO will boost all dmg types. A toggle/form is a passive stacking bonus that's meant to always be turned on (unless you died or re-speced such that it gets switched off, then you need to reactivate it), so them and AOs are kinda polar opposites of each other when it comes to dmg boosts. General dmg bonuses are also subject to diminishing returns, and that hurts the AO's burst dmg ability as you get better gear/stats. It's not as bad for tanks or healers that don't get as many dmg bonuses, but most AOs are generally passed up or put on lower priority these days because of their low uptime and the dmg DR (and to a degree also because most Ults had their cds lowered, and an Ult can be more impactful for the same power slot).

Also, you can (and prob should) stack the spec severity bonuses; since they are a flat%, they aren't affected by severity rating's DR (which you'd usually find on gear). You can also get pretty good crit% from just having some crit rating on gear, and Ego PSS's 6th Sense also helps there (as would Guardian's Find the Mark). You don't necc need Dex to have decent overall crit% (and Dex and crit rating are on the same DR for crit%, so investing in some crit rating w/o Dex should give pretty good returns).
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I haven't checked lately, but does Imbue (AO) still give that HUGE bonus if you are low on hit points? That used to, at least, be a fun gimmick and made Imbue the most useful AO, if one was going to take one at all.

Something really important to remember is that all those big numbers you see that give you a bonus on things, like AOs, (almost?) always are only a small fraction of that amount in reality. It's called Cryptic Math.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited March 2021
    Yea, Imbue is pretty good if you can get to low health before popping it. Since that may not always be a consistent thing (depending on the content), I wouldn't by default recommend it, but it can be good under those conditions. A few of the other AOs are good w/ certain other stipulations being met, like Ego Surge w/ NM adv in TK builds that use Ego Leech, or Ice/Chill-based builds using Ice Sheath, but in general their dmg bonuses don't scale up well.

Determining final dmg in CO can get pretty complex, as there's multiple layers and DRs throughout the calculations. If one wants more info, they could look into some of these older sticky threads on the general topic (though some info may be outdated):
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/251612/damage-bonus-layers
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/250970/character-sheet-calculating-in-game-combat-values
    edited March 2021
    I've decided to swap Frag Grenade for an passive offense so I can actually assume the Ranged DPS role.

I'm torn between Targeting Computer and Quarry for Fair Game.

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to give composure a try.

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 6: Indomintable (Ego: 8)

Powers
    Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Rank 2, Mind the Uniform, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Strike Down (Challenge!)
    Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Close the Gap)
    Level 32: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Composure (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Superspeed

Specializations

Devices
    Targeting Comp is the best from a ranged dps perspective (it won't boost EotS, but I suppose that's not a huge deal here), but Quarry's adv does give you some extra healing when soloing and stuff. Composure isn't as good as TC for dps, but it's a bit more defensive w/ the added knock resistance and dodge/avoid, so any of those options could work. I'd prob add in the Armor Piercing adv on the Shotgun if getting rid of Frag Grenade, though.