test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make Specializations More Powerful

cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
I want specialization to have as much of an impact as your passive slot. Maybe they work better for min-maxers, but my experience is they're an afterthought for most builds.
If I want regeneration there's really no alternative to the passive slot. Don't get me wrong, there are some winners in there, but a lot of it is underwhelming. Most of it doesn't feel game-changing, and I feel it should be.

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Individual specializations, other than some of the masteries, don't do much, but you have 31 of them, what do you expect. Their combined effect is certainly as significant as your passive slot.
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    31 little bonuses spread across all sorts of things. It's not like I can spend those points only on things that I actually want. Some of that is going to be a percentage bonus to my gear, and my gear sucks.

I like to think I'm a "normal" player, I haven't done the math, I don't know what caps. I just know that if I want to get to end-game, specs aren't really a factor. And I think that's bad for a thing you interact with 31 times.
  • rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
    Gear boosts are actually some of the most popular specs. Once you get into Mercenary or Justice it makes a big difference. But I do agree the Regen specs could deffinitely use a boost, and probably a lot of others.
    cbob312 wrote: »
    I like to think I'm a "normal" player, I haven't done the math, I don't know what caps. I just know that if I want to get to end-game, specs aren't really a factor. And I think that's bad for a thing you interact with 31 times.
    That's a presentation problem. Specs are important, but because they're so very split up they don't look important.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Specializations are very impactful and versatile. There's a good guide on Steam called "A guide to Superstats and Spec Trees" that's very informative. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to include the link in this post or if there are forum rules against that?
    Specializations are very impactful and versatile. There's a good guide on Steam called "A guide to Superstats and Spec Trees" that's very informative. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to include the link in this post or if there are forum rules against that?

No, I've read that and I disagree, obviously. But also, if you read that guide it's purpose is to point out what specs are worth taking, because some are absolute garbage, and I think that shouldn't be the case. I also think this falls under min-maxing, if you have to spend an hour reading an external guide to get the most out of the system the system might be too weak.

Specs can help you do something you're already capable of but they can't help you be a tank for example if you have a powerset that is just DPS.

The idea for this came to me because I've made it to max level a lot of times and most of my characters don't feel that powerful. I've also feel railroaded when leveling. If specialization is more powerful it gives you more option in both instances. All without raising the level cap, which is alternate idea I've had.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    The main problem as most skill systems have is, people will always find and go for a meta because mos efficient. Skill trees are often in my eyes, of course there are exceptions, a waste and an illusion of free choice, because most in it is just there to make it seem you have a choice to not take the crap one and such. It makes the system looks better as it really is in reality often. Or it can be overcomplicated like lets say Path of Exile, where you need to read guides often, better freedom, but it will always run into some sort of meta sadly till it gets nerfed or adjusted, then next one gets chosen.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    To go back to your original post, it's unlikely the Devs will dramatically alter the Specialization trees.

If you're playing ATs I can understand feeling 'railroaded'. Freeform is really the fix for that. If you think Specializations are too complicated (for min-maxers only) learn the tried and true ones and stick to them.

If you're leveling to 40 and feel your characters aren't that powerful it's likely the combination of your power choices, Specialization and gear. There are folks that give awesome build advice on the forums. Just post your build and build goals in the Builds and Roles section.

Additional blah blah below.

There are Specializations that they have considered overpowered and nerfed (ex. INT: Revitalize) and there are ones they've buffed or fixed (ex. END: Outburst). And, there are still some Specializations that are broken and should, hopefully, get fixed (ex. Overseer: Administer). From the changes made so far, it seems unlikely they will change them to the degree you seem to be suggesting.

Aside from broken Specializations, there are certainly less used 'garbage' ones but that partly depends on build goals and to some degree opinion. There are a number of easier, no fail builds for tanks, DPS and heals and they include some very popular Specializations. There are also folks on this forum that have demonstrated creative builds that are very strong using very interesting combinations of powers, Specializations and gear. Personally, I like trying to make unique builds to see if I can make them work.

Yes, the Specialization tree won't make you a tank by itself if you've chosen powers and gear more for DPS. They aren't meant to. They're meant to enhance or fill gaps where power choices and gear may fall short depending on your build goals. You can certainly make a DPS character more 'tanky' with Specializations, if that's the direction you would like, or use them to push your glass cannon to the highest levels of DPS.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I think we need to remind the DEVs that a lot of Specialization Masteries are underwelming to useless levels, and as the years goes by the more useless they are becoming

Overseer and Arbiter needs more love, recently I found out that Arbiter healing bonus are complety broken with Absorb Heat and similar healing power...​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Can we all agree that many aspects of the game are out of whack and in need of work? There are power sets (Earth!) that are in need of revisions, there are powers within power sets that are useless, there are nigh useless specialization trees (Recovery), there are weak types of gear and nearly pointless mods. There is also player experience with mechanics. You can always tell the new players at dino who have no clue of when to block because they die over and over. There are people with toggle forms that don't put much into the superstat to boost it. Etc. Etc.

Can we all agree that we have a miniscule Dev team working on a shoestring and dealing with competing wish lists of player demands (more costumes, more new content, fix/revamp old content, revamp powers, etc.)

On the other hand, most of the game is bonehead easy after you go through it once (or twice), especially if you have free form. You only have to put on your big boy pants for certain types of endgame content, but even there, having the right other players around can help immensely (e.g. it is possible to tank dino in merc gear with R5 mods if you know what you are doing, have rock solid healers and high end dps who use threat wipes).

Finally, I don't have huge sympathy for players who don't want to put much effort into learning the game and acquiring the in game resources needed to be competent (not top tier by nay means). I mean, I wish I could be a millionaire without having to work, a top level athlete without having to workout, or even a good golfer without practice and the right equipment, but that just doesn't happen. Being decent at a hobby does require some thought and effort.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    The idea for this came to me because I've made it to max level a lot of times and most of my characters don't feel that powerful.
    That's not the fault of spec trees; if you feel weak relative to other players, well, boosting specs would boost them as well as you, and if you feel weak relative to critters, well, PCs are not weak relative to critters.
    The idea for this came to me because I've made it to max level a lot of times and most of my characters don't feel that powerful.
    That's not the fault of spec trees; if you feel weak relative to other players...

No, I feel weak period. It's not like I'm getting left behind in alerts. And that's for straightforward characters. Part of my problem with the status quo is that it limits how you build a character.

More powerful Specs means that sub-optimal builds are more viable, especially in solo pve.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    We definitely need a rework on Spec Masteries.
    The individual trees are not irrelevant, it's just too bad that you cannot be creative and that most specs are obviously better than others.
    However, since they fixed the "Guardicator" loop, the viability of other spec trees has improved.

• areeeareee Posts: 828 Arc User
    Be very, very careful what you ask for.

Hmmm. They don't like the spec (crafting) setup. *yoink* Here! Lets try the new spec(crafting) setup! It's easier.
    More powerful Specs means that sub-optimal builds are more viable, especially in solo pve.
    Rather than proposing a universal buff, it would be better to propose a targeted buff that only changes 'sub-optimal' builds
    areee wrote: »
    Be very, very careful what you ask for.

Hmmm. They don't like the spec (crafting) setup. *yoink* Here! Lets try the new spec(crafting) setup! It's easier.

Why, what do I have to protect?

Rather than proposing a universal buff, it would be better to propose a targeted buff that only changes 'sub-optimal' builds

Then those would become the new optimal builds. I'd rather they just make it fun and impactful for every point spent. You should be able to really feel the improvements.
    Then those would become the new optimal builds. I'd rather they just make it fun and impactful for every point spent. You should be able to really feel the improvements.
    Easiest way to accomplish this: eliminate every level specs. Instead, you gain them in chunks of 5 at levels 14, 19, 24, 29, 34, and 39 (with 1 point at 40). Suddenly, gaining specs feels 5x as strong. =)
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Can we all agree that many aspects of the game are out of whack and in need of work?
    YES in everything you said! I agree. NAILED IT!
    It's getting so tiredsome loving this game onion-63.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Easiest way to accomplish this: eliminate every level specs. Instead, you gain them in chunks of 5 at levels 14, 19, 24, 29, 34, and 39 (with 1 point at 40). Suddenly, gaining specs feels 5x as strong. =)

If the end results are underwhelming how does changing the manner in which we get to that point matter? I'd also want to avoid "empty" levels if possible.