test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Revise the Cosmics' Mechanics, please!

gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
edited February 2021 in Suggestions Box
Howdy! I've got one last grumble in me for this.

Simply posting possibly another suggestion to rework the main 3 cosmics to be much less costly in the fail mechanics. There has been stronger signs of heavy griefing in the past 2 weeks than in the past 5 years since the Cosmics release. If these are not going to be made into controlled instances, then I'd like to propose an easier method that shouldn't tax the engine or spend too much time and resources.

Suggestions:

- Kigatilik's healing upon player death reduced by 50 - 80%

In case the hounds "Accidentally" get loose and head towards players, players can try to recover by taking the dogs back to the respective 2-4 tanks OR the 1 CCer handling all 4 instead of starting over completely.

- Qwyjibo's Hearts' health reduced 25 - 33%
In case the hearts are "accidentally" attacked and the players can try to access the situation by destroying that heart or multiple hearts with decent DPS to prevent the Ape from healing easier.

- Teleosaur's damage threshold be altered based on amount of specified roles present instead of number of players or generally lowered a margin.
Going based off actual DPS here averaged casually by role as I'm unsure:
Tank: Threshold increases by 1250 DPS Per Tank role present ( Including Baby tank )
Brawler: Threshold increases by 2500 DPS Per Melee DPS role Present
Blaster: Threshold increases by 2000 DPS Per Ranged DPS role Present
Support: Threshold increases by 750 DPS Per Support role present.
Hybrid: Threshold increases by 1000 DPS Per Hybrid role present.
or
lower it altogether for those that either mess up their rotations, get held, or have not well coordinated their builds just yet.

- Focus the Instanced content to be the harder business for the players, anything public remain casual friendly.
This includes all 5-man and 10-man content.

I absolutely understand that Telios Ascension is supposed to be another option alongside Therakiel's Temple, but it's getting to a point to where players experiences in endgae are plummetting by these griefing methods. Unfortunately cosmics are the first thing new 40s go for and people can be pressed for time, the population is already on the lower end and not many are very willing to put the initiative to create these groups. Basically making people feel "locked out" because they waste time bouncing from cosmic to cosmic in hopes that one is not being griefed and to finish.

Can something please be done about this.

Well enough this is off the dome, and I don't see another post in this category in the suggestion box lately. Totally would appreciate other's inputs regarding this too.

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

- Focus the Instanced content to be the harder business for the players, anything public remain casual friendly.
    And then make them not drop gcr? The intent is that only 'elite' content should drop GCR. Also, none of your suggestions will significantly affect trolling:
    • Dogs getting loose isn't a wipe because Kiga heals from deaths. It's because they kill everyone and Kiga has his health reset because he's no longer in combat.
    • Reducing the health of hearts won't let them be killed in a practical time frame without them being CCed unless they're reduced by so much they become irrelevant -- and there are ways of making them impossible to cc.
    • Damage threshold has nothing to do with trolling dino; you troll dino by making mama and/or baby turn on the dps and kill everyone.

Now, there are things that could make the cosmic experience better and less trollable, but there isn't really a way to combine 'open world', 'not trollable', and 'difficult'.
  • hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    I feel like a lot of the issues with Kigatilik & Qwyjibo would be avoided if the dogs & hearts did not gain hold resistance. That simple change would allow CCers to control the targets even with griefers by using stuns or paralyzes. It may trivialise the role but that may lead it to being an easier role to fill as a result.

Also, perhaps some sort of descaling damage & resistance buff could be put on the Cosmic's, similar to the Portal Guardian in QWZ but working inversely and scaling down to say 30 people. This would prevent small groups of people from 'ninjaing' as the damage & resistance buffs would simply make it impossible (or a huge amount of effort) to execute.

The issue here of course is that it would mean that you could only do Cosmic's during peak times since I'm guessing early morning cosmic runs have small groups? To be honest, I haven't joined Cosmic runs in a little while now so I've no idea if these suggestions would help, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    edited February 2021

And then make them not drop gcr? The intent is that only 'elite' content should drop GCR. Also, none of your suggestions will significantly affect trolling:
    • Dogs getting loose isn't a wipe because Kiga heals from deaths. It's because they kill everyone and Kiga has his health reset because he's no longer in combat.
    • Reducing the health of hearts won't let them be killed in a practical time frame without them being CCed unless they're reduced by so much they become irrelevant -- and there are ways of making them impossible to cc.
    • Damage threshold has nothing to do with trolling dino; you troll dino by making mama and/or baby turn on the dps and kill everyone.

Now, there are things that could make the cosmic experience better and less trollable, but there isn't really a way to combine 'open world', 'not trollable', and 'difficult'.

Removal of GCR, what?
    - for Kiga, when dogs are loose and are not recovered, and folks very commonly run or die as soon as the dogs are out, thus not in combat, thus it's a wipe back to the start of Phase 2.
    - Not for hearts to be irrelevant, but for another method encouraged for a heart or two to be downed with enough dps if it's going south and the CC can possibly hold hearts if they have a strong enough single target paralyze/stun.
    - Trolling that way with dino means to have aggro on mama or baby, you're required to work for your aggro and have good threat mods to keep your threat anyhow. Additionally, both tanks do have to keep attacking to be able to get credit anyhow. If it's a DPS aggro switch, it is only if the tank does not have the threat to keep up, but that's another issue in it's self not related.
    - All of this can easily identify the individual and folks can record, screenshot, and otherwise to have Customer Support handle the situation.

See, the whole goal/point here of my suggestion is to make it to where if individuals decide to sabotage the run that it's just slower, but still guaranteed successful than "People waiting 1 hour + to beat a cosmic." not essentially making it it simpler than it already is. It's all endgame post-40 content nonetheless, only thing "Elite" I personally deem is Therakiel's temple and Eidolon, TA's the training wheels, and the Cosmics are world bosses. Tough, but should be made possible to where we don't have to hope that some savior is going to sacrifice their role they wanted to play in order for the cosmic run to go well and fight against possible sabotage. I definitely know we 'could' go back to anti-troll methods, but how often would that be done and would those even be willing to do it everytime?

What other direct methods would you think to assist with ceasing the trolling?
    - IP Ban takes a simple VPN switch.
    - Hardware bans can be abused pretty easy with this mass report system that folks deliver and still there can be workaround.
    - Hire an actual GM is another, but there's no signs of that happening.

I'm more providing something that Cryptic could do instead of PWE/Arc, but you are absolutely free to provide your own suggestions.

At first I didn't want to believe it, but this to me further proves that you might be aligned with the interest of a certain 3rd party. All of the suggestions you mentioned would only make cosmics more ninjable by smaller amount of people, while not addressing the trolling issue as the above person posted, and in the case of dino making it even more easy to troll by having people purposefully show up on the role that increases the DPS threshold the most.

Sorry fam, I am my own person, I don't associate with anyone. I'll say it time and time again, "Ninjaing" cosmics is unsavory due to the population and I am not for it, but it's a public event that doesn't take much to leave a cosmic gone south and go to another, but you'd best make the right decision if you're gonna leave.
    But you're right, multiboxing is indeed a thing, perhaps I can just revise the dino's healing rate instead.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Going to be hard to get any cosmics done with TEG channel muted.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • That's remedied already. Players have got another channel up and running pretty quickly and it's working well.
    ...pretentious humble brag about how I am actually better than everyone and a hero to all. If you don't agree you don't get it *cries*
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    What's the new channel's name?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • CO-End

Seems to be very active and organised. I was sent an invite so can see the chat.
    ...pretentious humble brag about how I am actually better than everyone and a hero to all. If you don't agree you don't get it *cries*
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    The cosmics (and almost all the open world content) were designed with the assumption that every random person showing up would understand the mechanics AND be willing to work together as a group to overcome the challenge. Those are obviously pretty stupid assumptions to make, if you think about it.

Who can really blame anyone for wanting to ninja cosmics, when one wrong person showing up can turn a 5 minute fight into a 3 hour slog?

Open world missions should be about individual play, not organized group play. This is basic design stuff people.

We've been dam lucky up to this point. We should be thankful to certain veteran players for shouldering the burden of doing the hard roles and teaching people the mechanics on the fly. And also be thankful for the good behavior of most of the player base. Those two factors are what made these fights possible and accessible to people like me. But the fact remains, that these fights were designed like instanced team content... and they just aren't.
  • rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
    What about reworking the CC mechanic where damage breaks it to the point of uselessness? Other games I've CCed where the idea was to hamper the enemies -while- actively trying to take them down. CO CC only works if there's a mutual understanding "Hey guys, don't attack these targets while I get them out of the way" and the only place I know of that utilizes that is dogs and hearts.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    The cosmics (and almost all the open world content) were designed with the assumption that every random person showing up would understand the mechanics AND be willing to work together as a group to overcome the challenge. Those are obviously pretty stupid assumptions to make, if you think about it.

Who can really blame anyone for wanting to ninja cosmics, when one wrong person showing up can turn a 5 minute fight into a 3 hour slog?

Open world missions should be about individual play, not organized group play. This is basic design stuff people.

We've been dam lucky up to this point. We should be thankful to certain veteran players for shouldering the burden of doing the hard roles and teaching people the mechanics on the fly. And also be thankful for the good behavior of most of the player base. Those two factors are what made these fights possible and accessible to people like me. But the fact remains, that these fights were designed like instanced team content... and they just aren't.
    rajakaji wrote: »
    What about reworking the CC mechanic where damage breaks it to the point of uselessness? Other games I've CCed where the idea was to hamper the enemies -while- actively trying to take them down. CO CC only works if there's a mutual understanding "Hey guys, don't attack these targets while I get them out of the way" and the only place I know of that utilizes that is dogs and hearts.

On both of those I can only say how well this seems to work in GW2, tho they abandoned dungeons anyway mostly so focused on open world as a whole, while CC can be useful still like breaking the CC bar on certain enemies to make them vulnerable. A lot say it lacks content but handles gameplay very well in my eyes, simply and dynamic on top.