test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Revamped Soldier Idea

catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
edited January 2021 in Suggestions Box
Among the many ideas people have shared, one that has my interest is ideas for the soldier archetype, it needs to be relooked at to allow for convenience for different eras. From Musket times to ww2 to present day. Not just for convenience of using the powers effectively, but also to give the feel of playing the role. Powerful single shot rifles shouldn't take forever to shoot, a normal burst charge would be fine....the sniper rifle doesn't have the appropriate distance so the setup for it is rubbish given you are within range and often visible so it kills the whole purpose of adding the sniper rifle, so I've left it out of the archetype idea. Another unfortunate and notable omission is the lacking of any decent healing powers coming from gadgets/munitions. Soldier and inventors cover healing, military has field medics and alchemists/apothecary's use healing potions and anti toxins. So here is the idea I propose, I hope the devs give it an open minded look, I invite any open minded comments from others, ideas to add, touchups, ect.

Note: There are 2 variants, the medic and the dps, a dps would still use targeting scanner but the medic/healer would use a new one that buffs its healing and wipes its threat while doing so, since "rules of war" no one is supposed to shoot the medic!!

1 Pistol shot: same (rapid fire burst addon/knockdown/aoe)
This gives a bit more options to the pistol, like the officer npcs you see in game firing only a pistol, sometimes with a rapid fire aoe burst attack. But while using the rapid fire burst option, it doesn't recover energy.

2 Rifle single shot: (burst-ranged-piercing/single target)
or
Rifle 3 rd burst: (combo-ranged-piercing/aoe)
This offers the option to fire like a musket with a charged burst attack, or a small combo of an M-1 or M-16, depending on your desired theme.

3 Rifle Melee combo: (blocking thrust-stock hit-bayoneted stab/blocking and healing attack/single target)
This fits for any style of rifle, I shared costume options in another thread for them.

4 Grenade: (bleed/placate/aoe)
or
Dynamite: (knockback/stun/aoe)
Every solder needs his gun nest remover, even back in the Victorian era, this offers a choice between two different types of thrown explosives.

5 Rifle full auto: (armor piercing/single target)
or
Flame Thrower: (fire/fear/aoe)
Ok this one is necessary for those Thomson, gatling gun and M-16 builds, with a special request on the fixing the costume for the gatling gun costume to have a stand if possible. Firing while cranking instead of the giant side weapon. Unfortunately I can think of nothing to relate this to the musket era, maybe some of you could add an idea or two to help move this project along for the devs.

6 Mortar: (fire/crushing/hold/aoe)
or
Medkit: (full heal)
Pretty strait forward, a DPS can choose to have extra fire power or a means to heal themselves or others and places a short threat wipe on them. or extra firepower that causes a big debuff on a mob. The costume for mortar can change form modern day to a rocket launcher from victorian era.

7 Bayonet STab: (burst-piercing-melee/single target)
or
Trama Kit: (remove debuff/rez)
The Bayonet stab was mentioned by others, and I wanted to bring it to bear as a reasonable and useable means in a soldiers arsenal. But also those who are healers can also use this as an aoe heal, that removes debuffs upon a full maintain of those around her as well as a threat wipe while she is healing.

Ultimate: Radio In Air Support (fire/knockback/fear/aoe)
When the enemy starts to really bear down on you, or to have too great of defense, a good commander knows when to call in air support, nuff said!

I hope this get a reasonable look, and if considered offer a new archetype with good dps and good heals, without loosing the feel of the theme from lack of energy to maintain the powers.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
Post edited by catstarsto on

Comments

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    It probably is better to make this a new Archetype, rather than a soldier rework, considering also Soldier got a rework a few years to go unlike other AT's that still suffer, not to speak of whole power trees, looking at Force and Gadgeteer here.

Soldier is already a ranged AT, making him a medic would mean making him Hybrid, would cause a lot of players to cry out surely. So a new AT would be better with those variants.

I am overall for more Tech based healing and more single pistol and tech attacks.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Hmm, when was the last time they revamped at AT?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I'm betting on them listening to the fans/customers when we ask for things to improve the product and not a "they will get what I feel like giving" attitude.
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fattractionsmagazine.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F11%2FSonic-Before-and-After.png&f=1&nofb=1
    ^This thread is a chance to really voice what would make us spend our money on the game.

I realize the archetype would be hybrid like the dual pistol and swords one, but a struggling business needs to hear where the money can start coming in, so those who spend for freeforms can also choose a ranged, melee or support build depending on what they want.

Oh and dont forget the new outfits too cryptic!!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F54%2F24%2F65%2F5424656dc918ab0a6f085f79ce2a2a61.jpg&f=1&nofb=1?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmed-dept.com%2Fimages%2Fabout_us%2Fben.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn11.bigcommerce.com%2Fs-hylvh%2Fimages%2Fstencil%2F1280x1280%2Fproducts%2F319610%2F183686%2Fita6177__94091.1509986577.jpg%3Fc%3D2%26imbypass%3Don&f=1&nofb=1
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fc0%2F74%2Fce%2Fc074ce256252e292e7b783da71f237dd.jpg&f=1&nofb=1?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fb5%2Fbe%2Fe3%2Fb5bee3b6b2f4b5e3449def33f0e65288.jpg&f=1&nofb=1[img][/img]young-vietnamese-child-and-a-us-soldier-of-the-25th-infantry-division-picture-id514875404?s=594x594[img][/img]

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    catstarsto wrote: »
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

I'm betting on them listening to the fans/customers when we ask for things to improve the product and not a "they will get what I feel like giving" attitude.

This is pretty much what everybody thinks when they make a suggestion here :)

Since I have been LTS for a long time I don't pay attention to ATs. I know they introduce new ones periodically, but have no idea when/if they have revamped one.

I wish they would create an AT which has both Pre and Str as boosted stats (maybe with Dex and Rec as well). Current choices on Pre related Innate Talent are pretty slim.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!