test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20210105.10 - High Noon Week 2

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited February 2021 in PTS - The Archive
High Noon
  • Added Western Pistol 2 and 3 costumes to the event store.

Perks
  • Updated several acton figure perks to complete if you unlocked them instead of trading them in.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    Well there my hope for the robopup.
  • hexcasterhexcaster Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Off-topic but is there any way we could make the "Confuse" effect on powers like Mind Lock not break from damage? Something to make it actually worth taking.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Hmm, no sombrero or poncho? Still need DB weapon skin maracas.

Odd that there is no new "complete 5" aspect for 2nd week. Going to be a pretty dead week.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Hmm, no sombrero or poncho? Still need DB weapon skin maracas.

Odd that there is no new "complete 5" aspect for 2nd week. Going to be a pretty dead week.

We have a sombrero and poncho costume already
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    All the holsters and gun models in those holsters from this event seem to be ridiculously small in scale. That's including the ones on the chest piece
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • rileymarks1rileymarks1 Posts: 48 Arc User
    I happen to like the smaller weapon pieces. I always find the other weapons to be ridiculously too large and therefor hard to incorporate in most costumes..
    edited January 2021
    Eh, I didn't mean they are smaller than the "ridiculously too large" ones. I meant they are to the other extreme entirely regarding SCALE.

They look so small as to be completely inoperable. I wish the devs could be more consistent with scale of costume pieces
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    I wish the devs could be more consistent with scale of costume pieces

Same. Shoes/boots are the worst offender here. Some have little narrow knife-shaped feet that are going to end up looking like skis if you get them wide enough not to look ridiculous. Others are unbelievably fat. Both extremes end up almost unusable. Dividing the "Feet" slider into "Foot Length" and "Foot Width" would be a saving grace.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    All the holsters and gun models in those holsters from this event seem to be ridiculously small in scale. That's including the ones on the chest piece

Eh, i feel like you've never actually held or seen a late 19th century revolver before. These are realistically sized, rather than grotesquely over-sized like every other weapon in the game. If anything, they're *too long*.

late 19th century colt revolvers: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/TA23PC/colt-revolver-from-the-19th-century-TA23PC.jpg

And those would be on the larger size of pistols in that period. (They had pepperbox pistols, after all, which were tiny).
    edited January 2021
    You are right, I haven't held a 19th century revolver before. Fortunately that's unnecessary and all that's required is to have eyes and a CO tailor.

These holsters and the guns in them are too small. The proportions of the guns look good, but the scale is off. When you can't fit a finger between the trigger guard and the trigger then that's a good indicator. As is the fact that the grip would be dwarfed by average sized toon hands.
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    You are right, I haven't held a 19th century revolver before. Fortunately that's unnecessary and all that's required is to have eyes and a CO tailor.

These holsters and the guns in them are too small. The proportions of the guns look good, but the scale is off. When you can't fit a finger between the trigger guard and the trigger then that's a good indicator. As is the fact that the grip would be dwarfed by average sized toon hands.

The scale problem isn't really the gun, its the hands. The hands are oversized relative to the body. The gun is pretty realistically proportioned, not just relative to itself, but relative to the nominal scale of the game. It's the hand scale that's out-of-whack.
  • There is no relative scale size in this game. So many items that are super small and super big.

But since the model is what they used as default...then it should be scaled to that model.

So yes...the scale is off.
  • Yeah, I was disappointed with the tiny scale of the guns in the holsters relative to the body models we have.

I agree with zenith, jonesing and Jackie there. I use as realistic proportions as I can for my characters, including hands, and those guns just don't match, sizewise.

I am not a fan of oversized guns in CO either, but these are doll size. They overshot the mark...pun not intended
    ...pretentious humble brag about how I am actually better than everyone and a hero to all. If you don't agree you don't get it *cries*
    There is no relative scale size in this game. So many items that are super small and super big.

But since the model is what they used as default...then it should be scaled to that model.

So yes...the scale is off.

Sure there's a defined scale size in game. You can determine it off body height, which is set in feet and inches. And the default model is 6' tall. So, for example, in the preview image above on my screen, that 6' body is 3" tall on my screen. The pistol is just shy 5/8" long. 1" = 2', so 5/8" * 2' = 1.25' or 15" of real length (Actually a little shy of 15", since its not quite 5/8").

An 1860 Colt Army Revolver (most representative gun) has an 8" barrel and is 14" long total. Shy of 15" is just about right! Longer would be too long. And since the internal scale is pretty good, that means it's almost perfectly sized.

The only real problem with the gun model is the position of the trigger inside the trigger guard. The artist for some reason thinks that triggers are nearly centered in the trigger guard. They're not. It should be farther back towards the stock, which would create enough room for a reasonably sized finger to easily fit in that trigger guard. (They should also be rounded, not square, for representative western pistols, but style choices are style choices). But since that kind of detail is virtually invisible for most game purposes, this is at best a minor flaw in an otherwise great looking piece.

No, the primary problem is the hands are not to scale with the body. It's the hands that are wrong, not the pistol.
  • It does not matter an iota what the measurements of a (insert gun name here) are in real life. If they look too small in comparison to our characters in this video game then they are too small.
    ...pretentious humble brag about how I am actually better than everyone and a hero to all. If you don't agree you don't get it *cries*
    It does not matter an iota what the measurements of a (insert gun name here) are in real life. If they look too small in comparison to our characters in this video game then they are too small.

I happen to think they look fine in game. If you don't like it, you have a hand slider, scale your hands down to something somewhere below oversized-gorilla.

• I guess some men just have tiny hands...don’t be ashamed!
  • > @squirrelloid said:
    > I happen to think they look fine in game. If you don't like it, you have a hand slider, scale your hands down to something somewhere below oversized-gorilla.

I already commented that I use realistic proportions for hands rather than oversized hands so your point is... pointless
    edited January 2021
    > @squirrelloid said:
    > I happen to think they look fine in game. If you don't like it, you have a hand slider, scale your hands down to something somewhere below oversized-gorilla.

I already commented that I use realistic proportions for hands rather than oversized hands so your point is... pointless

So, weapons in hand scale with hand sliders. (In particular, for pistols, length scales with hand length and height scales with hand).

With 65 hand length and 75 hands, which looks pretty realistic, the hand-held pistol is almost the same size as the holstered pistols. (It's still slightly long, but you'd have to really look to notice the difference, and I'm sure slightly smaller hands would look fine too, so i could nail it exactly if i really cared to spend the time).

And a finger even fits through the trigger guard at that scale. (I'm sure the trigger is inside the finger, since its out of place, but you can't even see that).

Edit: And it looks great, btw.
  • crazyflip#4138 crazyflip Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Pedantry aside, the ones worn on the body and the ones that are held and fired are not to the same scale.

The former are very obviously smaller... So small as to look unusable . As I and others have previously pointed out
    Post edited by crazyflip#4138 on
    edited January 2021
    Pedantry aside, the ones worn on the body and the ones that are held and fired are not to the same scale.

The former are very obviously smaller... So small as to look unusable . As I and others have previously pointed out

Handheld weapons scale with the hand sliders. If you use realistic hand scale, they will literally be the same size.

You can't claim the holstered ones are very obviously smaller when the hand held ones can be scaled up and down (and even to sizes smaller than the holstered ones). More importantly, if you use a realistic hand size, they're virtually identical in size to the holstered ones.

This mostly proves the default hand size is way too large, since the holstered ones are properly scaled to body height.

(Edit: I've been working with a 6' tall male frame with reasonably standard chest slider, which is what my calculations of gun size used to show it was about right for an 1860 Army Colt Revolver. Obviously body sliders will affect the size of holstered pistols, and apparently female breast sliders also affect the chest holsters).
    Post edited by squirrelloid on
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    People shouldn't have to play slider-fu to make a costume work. There are default hand sizes, how costumes get made that don't even work properly with the default size is a bit of a head scratcher.

Weapons having their own sliders would be really nice! Try bulking up a male character with the bodymass slider, and watch the weapon they are holding become smaller and smaller in relation to the character. Chunky dudes can't have nice nice things is the message being sent.. and it's a DISCGRACE! XD
  • Especially since the pistols appear to be modeled after the Walker and Dragoon, which are by no means small or narrow guns.
    edited January 2021
    Especially since the pistols appear to be modeled after the Walker and Dragoon, which are by no means small or narrow guns.

I might also consider the 1860 Colt Army Revolver, which is similar in size to the Walker and Dragoon, although i think slightly narrower. (The Walker is slightly longer, the Dragoon slightly shorter). Regardless, to within reasonable measurement error, the holstered pistols are about the right size for any of these three.

The later Colt Single Action Revolver (~1875) is clearly not the model used.
    vonqball wrote: »
    People shouldn't have to play slider-fu to make a costume work. There are default hand sizes, how costumes get made that don't even work properly with the default size is a bit of a head scratcher.

Weapons having their own sliders would be really nice! Try bulking up a male character with the bodymass slider, and watch the weapon they are holding become smaller and smaller in relation to the character. Chunky dudes can't have nice nice things is the message being sent.. and it's a DISCGRACE! XD

Well, weapons don't actually change size in the real world, so as a man 'bulks up', weapons do become smaller relative to their mass. (And are relatively larger compared to smaller men). If only all sliders didn't modify holstered weapon size. (In particular, for the holstered pistols, the sliders which are especially egregious are leg length for the hip holster, and the female breast slider for the chest holster).

For handheld weapons, the problem is you can either scale weapons to the body or the hands, because the hands aren't scaled to the body. In fact, hands are ~2x too big by default, which is a substantial difference. (Be nice if weapons didn't scale to hand size at all, in fact, but then it would be really obvious how monstrously oversized hands are).

Edit: reversed relative lengths of Dragoon and Walker, fixed.
This discussion has been closed.