test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thundrax is in peril!

bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
Many of you have interacted with one of the longest playing members of our community, Scott Bennie, either here on the forums or in game as his PC, Thundrax. Some of you are also aware that Scott is a professional game author and one of the most prolific contributors to Champions PnP over many years. If you encountered VIPER or visited northern Canada in CO, you've played with some of Scott's creations.

Today Scott's friend and fellow game author, Sean Patrick Fannon, put out that Scott's health has taken a serious turn, and how his friends and fans could offer him their support:

For those among my friends and followers who know Scott Bennie - or who know his work - I have the difficult news that he has been hospitalized and undergone surgery. I do not know what his current condition is, but according to his sister, he is undergoing significant rehab. He has no access to a computer or the Internet and is very much cut off. As I understand it, you can send him an email address to the following address, using the following information to ensure a message is hand-delivered to him by the Volunteer Resource team. This will be the only way he knows friends and fans are thinking of him. youvegotmail.ARH@fraserhealth.ca Robert Scott Bennie Unit: Baker 3 Room 109

The Fraser Health website specifies that the above address is not for correspondence, but just to pass on short messages to the patients. Think of it as equivalent to an electronic get-well card.

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Rats! That's terrible news. My email has been sent. Who will defend Canada from its many perils in not Thundrax!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Whoa, wishing the Canadian Crusader a huge well and speedy recovery! The world still needs him!
  • tenebriswolftenebriswolf Posts: 54 Arc User
    I sincerely hope he'll make it out ok. In the meantime, we'll make sure that Canada is kept safe until his return, no matter how far in the future. Best wishes to him.
    Mordykus on Dawn Radio
  • glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
    Speedy recovery to the big dude. Can 2020 get gone yet please?
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Oh no, that sucks. :( Here's to hoping he has a speedy recovery!
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • stonewaynestonewayne Posts: 1 Arc User
    I reached out to him, and his absence has been felt by his friend base, and it has been hard to just wait for word on his condition. We love and miss him, and hope for a speedy return to his friends and what he loves (namely interacting with the community here! and sharing in your adventures!) We miss you Big "T", hope to see you soon!
  • alt0angel0skalt0angel0sk Posts: 137 Arc User
    aw sorry to hear about that :( , i hope he will recover soon and my prayer goes out to him , i will wish him a well and fast recovery to recover.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    Oh man sorry to hear that. He's one of my favorite Champions authors, and was always nice in-game. I also knew him more directly from the Hero Games forums themselves back when.
  • I always saw him dueling people in the Renaissance Center and actually got to RP with him once in Club Caprice. Seems like a really nice guy, wishing him a good recovery.
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    Terrible news, best wishes for a speedy recovery Scott.

• vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    really wish and hope for a good recovery for him. Didn't knew about his story as author but aways seen him in game, is a good guy. Send him my energy \o/
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    Oh, man. I hope Scott/Thundrax has a speedy recovery. One of the pillars in our community.
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    Thank you for passing this on officially, milord.

I'd like to add that his sister is also working to at least get him a tablet so he isn't completely cut off, but I imagine with COVID restrictions in place it might take a bit.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    Add my well wishes and condolences to the pot! Please do get well soon, Mr. Thundrax!
  • ghost#7389 ghost Posts: 29 Arc User
    Im very sorry to hear that. I did countless Smash alerts with Thundrax (I assume many of us did..) and it became a habit of mine to salute him whenever I saw him - and he always took the time to respond. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope we will see him back as soon as possible.
    Characters: Cybrax - DJ of SinAmatic Entertainment Radio - http://my.powerstream.live:8800/
  • Always count on seeing a Thundrax emote. He’s always been kind, even with simplest gestures
  • Making this an announcement so more people see it. I've spoke to his family, and they're ok with sharing this email far and wide, please reach out and let him know you're thinking of him.
    Making this an announcement so more people see it. I've spoke to his family, and they're ok with sharing this email far and wide, please reach out and let him know you're thinking of him.
    Just wanted to make sure you or whoever is in charge of the FB page knows, the patient email service that's been linked does require all the information bulgarex listed in order for messages to be delivered to their recipient (as they are printed out and delivered physically, Scott does not have access to any electronic device right now but they are working to get him a tablet).

Robert Scott Bennie
    Unit: Baker 3
    Room 109
    ----
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Thank you for sending this message on to us in the community. I know several others, including myself have acted upon this.
    Wanted to share this message from his sister posted yesterday on FB:

To all of Scott’s friends. He’s received 60ish emails and he is very happy and humbled by all the attention he is getting.
    They think he’s a minor celeb in the hopsital.
    Still no word on how long he will be there. It’s been only one week since his surgery and he says there is no pain.
    Please keep him in your thoughts as he continues his journey of healing.
    ----
    epelesker wrote: »
    Wanted to share this message from his sister posted yesterday on FB:

To all of Scott’s friends. He’s received 60ish emails and he is very happy and humbled by all the attention he is getting.
    They think he’s a minor celeb in the hopsital.
    Still no word on how long he will be there. It’s been only one week since his surgery and he says there is no pain.
    Please keep him in your thoughts as he continues his journey of healing.

Thanks for sharing this! Encouraging to hear :)
    edited January 2021
    A little rough but my first new doodle of the year goes to Scott Bennie. I figured the least I could do was draw a new picture to be his Get Well Soon card.
    So "Best Wishes and a Speedy Recovery Scott!"
    GTS78jk.jpg

A little rough but my first new doodle of the year goes to Scott Bennie. I figured the least I could do was draw a new picture to be his Get Well Soon card.
    So "Best Wishes and a Speedy Recovery Scott!"
    I love this pic, AC!
    ----
    Thanks, it's been a while since I posted anything here, but it's worth it.
  • piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    Still wishing him the best on his road to recovery.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Please pass on any news you hear.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Anymore updates on Thundrax?
  • johnkalejohnkale Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yes! Please something. I haven't been in game regularly in a while but always tried to say hi and chat when I'm able with him. I'm sure his absence is very much felt in the community
    Any news, please?
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 320 Arc User
    The Great White North is standing behind you, Thundrax.

And although our friendship may have been brief, you can rest easy knowing Crusader is on the job. <3

50969782172_f176716d13_o.png
    (So, I already had all of this posted once and I tried to edit it... I think the forum ate it. Part of the reason why I don't really follow the main boards as much as I should-- my own start to the year asides.)

Since you guys have all been patiently waiting for information on our Mighty Thundrax...

He's still in the hospital as of yet and apparently close to going home, though we're not sure of what the timetable exactly is for the moment. But he's for sure feeling ready to not be cooped up in that building for much longer.

I'd heard secondhand that there was some chatter about 'Drax at this week's Dev CC so the positive thoughts for him were definitely appreciated! (I, for one, would support an AF of Thundrax!)

If I find out more, I'll try to not to leave you all in the dark.
    ----
    Many thanks, epelesker. I'd been concerned by the long silence, and didn't know whether to celebrate, grieve, or something in between.

Since Scott's condition seems to be improving, I thought it acceptable to send an email of encouragement to him at the address at the top of this thread, following the same rules as spelled out there.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    Thank you for the update. Thundrax used to visit our little group and we were very happy to see him anytime he visited Club Caprice, and even though he'd only hang out for a few minutes we really noticed his absence. I'm not sure if he'll feel up to returning to the game once he's sprung from the hospital, but I thing we all will be happier knowing he's out of danger.
    (Yes, I know what day it is today, but this is 100% serious.)

New update, and one that's probably important to those of you in the community that have been sending him well-wishes.

Thundrax has been moved from ARH to another local area hospital as of yesterday. However, don't consider this a bad thing: his sister has been encouraging him that "next week" is when he will finally be back home.
    ----
  • piontest#9391 piontest Posts: 44 Arc User
    I think that's great to hear! Please keep us updated, there was chat about him last week, hoping for good news. The well wishes continue!
  • domain#8110 domain Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thank you for the update.
    It's happened, guys!

Wanted to post the news officially that Thundrax is finally out of hospital and, per his update on FB about an hour or so ago, "adjusting to life at home".

While I'm hoping he'll be able to post himself soon, I want to thank everyone again on his behalf for all the well-wishes and positive thoughts over the last few months.
    ----
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    It's happened, guys!

Wanted to post the news officially that Thundrax is finally out of hospital and, per his update on FB about an hour or so ago, "adjusting to life at home".

While I'm hoping he'll be able to post himself soon, I want to thank everyone again on his behalf for all the well-wishes and positive thoughts over the last few months.

Hurray!!

\o/
  • stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    Great news!

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    The BIG Question is when his towering presence will descend on MC?! Glad to hear he is at home and, I hope, resting comfortably.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    It's happened, guys!

Thanks for keeping us updated. This is good news!!
  • Very happy to hear he's back chilling at home!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Aye, thanks for the updates, and glad to hear that he's recovered! :+1:
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    This is fantastic
    Late with this one, sorry!

Apparently we're not 100% out of the woods yet. I just caught an update from his sister on April 11th that 'Drax had a fall at home and ended up back in the hospital. So keep those fingers crossed and thoughts positive, please!
    ----
    Oh damn, that sucks. He might need to get his home renovated to suit his new needs, I know my grandfather had to get railings everywhere when he got sick, but the main thing is I hope he doesn't get discouraged by this set back. Keep fighting big guy!
    Is Scott in a place now where it would be possible and appropriate to send him messages of encouragement, like before?
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Is Scott in a place now where it would be possible and appropriate to send him messages of encouragement, like before?

+1

As far as I know he's back in the same hospital he was originally (though I assume not in the exact same ward/room as he was before). If I can get details I can only assume getting those messages going again is an option, but the hope is that his stay won't be as dreadfully long as his previous.

That said-- and I had originally planned to add this to my previous post, but I wasn't sure how in the open his current state of being was and didn't want to spoil out of turn-- I recall from that last update I read that his place was supposed to have things added to it to facilitate him but one of those things hadn't arrived yet when he was released. His sister was making inquiries as to what the status of it was.

I don't have any further news than that but I am keeping an eye out where I can.
    ----

As far as I know he's back in the same hospital he was originally (though I assume not in the exact same ward/room as he was before). If I can get details I can only assume getting those messages going again is an option, but the hope is that his stay won't be as dreadfully long as his previous.

That said-- and I had originally planned to add this to my previous post, but I wasn't sure how in the open his current state of being was and didn't want to spoil out of turn-- I recall from that last update I read that his place was supposed to have things added to it to facilitate him but one of those things hadn't arrived yet when he was released. His sister was making inquiries as to what the status of it was.

I don't have any further news than that but I am keeping an eye out where I can.

I think everyone in this community really appreciates everything you're doing to keep us updated.