test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do real world comic book publishers exist in the Champions Universe?

Hello. I was wondering this for a while, but do comic publishers like Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, etc. exist in the Champions Universe? Like would Defender ever mention how people compare him to Ironman from Marvel comics for example? Thanks.

Comments

• squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    I'm no Bulgarex, but I'm pretty sure this is something the writers of the supplements cannot say without getting sued (as Marvel DC, Image, Dark Horse company names and their respective character names are all trademarked). So, make your own headcannon.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Unfortunately, I am Bulgarex. :s

;)

While comics publishers definitely exist in the CU, and have for many years, none of the "name" publishers from the real world are mentioned in the books, undoubtedly for the reason Squirrelloid notes above. In some non-comic book cases the writers have gotten around the trademark issue by designating recognizable analogues to real corporations or products. For example, Nar-Cola is the most popular soft drink on Champs Earth; while three of the major American television networks are called ABS, CBC, and NBS. But comics probably cut a little too close to home for this genre setting.

This passage from Champions Universe p.55 outlines the role of comics in this setting: "Comic books are a popular entertainment medium in the Champions Universe, though superhero books compete with many others, such as mystery and romance, for shelf space and consumer dollars. About half the superhero comics use fictional heroes, while the others feature real-life heroes who’ve licensed their images and adventures to the publisher. In some parts of the Superhuman World, whose book outsells who else’s book is a major point of pride — and sometimes the cause of jealousy-inspired super-battles."