test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Grey Scale Power Colors

rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
So, maybe I'm a n00b and there's something I'm not seeing or haven't figured out. If so, I apologize. And I really hope so because it seems pretty basic to me and I'm surprised I haven't seen more people asking about it.

But I just bought the premium package and was really excited to recolor my powers only to find out there's no option for black/white/grey, which suits most of my characters from shadow to stone. Beyond that there's not really any better option for them than the default. I was able to get my shadow a little darker but it's still obviously purple/blue.

So am I missing something or is this really something that's never been addressed?

Comments

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    It was never addressed due certain powers would cause issues with such colors often as far I know. And or can cause problems with lets say wet powers painted white can be used for odd things simply as an example. Black I think is simply due to how it works, if you make as example black on holo and psi costume pieces they turn invisible also.
  • rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
    *sigh* Well, good to know the reasoning at least. Powers turning invisible is problematic and wouldn't give me what I wanted anyway. Still, would be nice if at some point they could fix it so black and white don't cause vfx glitches, especially if it's bleeding over to costume pieces which -do- have options for black and white.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    It's not broken, there's nothing to fix. Just the way color hue works.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    The way Champions handles power graphics only allows adjustment to hue, not saturation. This means black/white/grey is impossible unless the fx was originally designed that way (in which case it will never be able to have color).
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    The way Champions handles power graphics only allows adjustment to hue, not saturation. This means black/white/grey is impossible unless the fx was originally designed that way (in which case it will never be able to have color).

This is why they make certain TPS and Auras with Black, White, and Colorable variants. The way the powers are coded, you can't have black and white ands still make them colorable.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    As much of the original Cryptic team that first developed this game also worked on City of Heroes, I would imagine the same limitations that were present in that game are these very same ones here.

In that game, the "solution" was to create two separate selections of colors: "light" and "dark", with the former encompassing white and lighter hues while the latter had black and darker hues.