test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this a bug or a Nerf?

catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
edited December 2020 in Gameplay Bugs
My main DPS used to deal twice as much damage as he does now, the laser gun power even with 7's and 9's for mods now start at 200 to 400, when concentration is topped it ticks at 400 to 600, crtiticals at around 800 to 1000. It used to start at 500 to 800 for first tick, and be around a 1000 there after, criticals where around 1200 to 2300 damage. And that was after a long time of gathering top end gear and earning and paying for 7 and 9 mods. Not sure if this will get the attention of someone willing to look into it, but it needed to be reported.

Also, here is another bug or nerf that happened to another toon;
deadwkr-5c142352-6ccd-4c8d-bdb3-7e62516e2f3e.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWIzZTI4NmYtYTJkZS00MzNiLTlkOGItY2UyMWJjZjVhMzVhXC9kZWFkd2tyLTVjMTQyMzUyLTZjY2QtNGM4ZC1iZGIzLTdlNjI1MTZlMmYzZS5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.DHlUrUNVRhYDsN-irdqsxI1Ov7ozzmk6a6crRJM2jv4
I'd appreciate a fix...my toons are not able to keep up if these things keep happening to them.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
Post edited by catstarsto on

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Just curious what the "laser gun" power is. Is that Pulse Beam Rifle, or something else?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Just curious what the "laser gun" power is. Is that Pulse Beam Rifle, or something else?

Yes, I've just gotten used to calling it a laser gun. lol
    deagh0x-1e0e1e49-cc17-46fd-a8e3-23dce82343a7.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWIzZTI4NmYtYTJkZS00MzNiLTlkOGItY2UyMWJjZjVhMzVhXC9kZWFnaDB4LTFlMGUxZTQ5LWNjMTctNDZmZC1hOGUzLTIzZGNlODIzNDNhNy5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.hSoUmhvWeC0ssriscr8kA5asd26lcrPjuygrvAfGRr0
    Here is a screen of the damage output and some of the mods and the main single target power I use. Once you craft to 7 it gets near impossible to get 8, and hopeless (for me at least) to get a 9, so I took the shortcut and I know I shouldn't have but spent so much money over these several months getting some of them to 9's for this toon. I'm hoping to be able to solo resistance once I get him strong enough since no one plays adventure packs anymore.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'm not aware of any bugs or nerfs that would do that. I see that you're in hybrid role, was that intended?

By the way, the item you think is "+50% particle damage" is actually "+50% particle damage resistance", all the resistance items have bugged tooltips.
    edited December 2020
    I'm not aware of any bugs or nerfs that would do that. I see that you're in hybrid role, was that intended?

By the way, the item you think is "+50% particle damage" is actually "+50% particle damage resistance", all the resistance items have bugged tooltips.

It was, in order for me to use the Personal Force Field, I have to be in ether Tank or Hybrid role. Using the damage boost passive for tech did get me 4500 to 6000+ criticals at the time in DPS role, but it also left me vulnerable to damage against large mobs especially those that can use control or energy drain powers, and nearly one shotted by bosses that couldnt be dodged. I've been working on my build for some time to try and work out survivability and damage.

I did the same thing with my vehicles, I have an energy shield and healing probe, along with a missile aoe for mobs and heavy particle beam for big targets. SO I could play outter maps in my fighter and inside maps with my toon itself.

When I get to working on something I really get motivated to see it succeed, tweaking, testing, trying to get everything just right. You should see my Engineer and his carrier in STO! XD

EDIT: Oh man...that was wasted space then. Thank you for bringing that to my attention about the particle damage mod.

• spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User
    You're taking a double hit to your DPS by being in the Hybrid role, which loses the Ranged DPS role damage bonus, and by using a Defensive Passive. Is PBR rank 3 or does it have the FIE advantage?

Rank 9 stat mods aren't going to provide much more vs rank 7 stat mods.

Your stats, crit rate/severity and specializations may compensate somewhat but I can't see what those are. I don't see anything that would provide a Particle damage debuff either.

Your DPS may have just dropped more than anticipated by changing your passive and role.
    You're taking a double hit to your DPS by being in the Hybrid role, which loses the Ranged DPS role damage bonus, and by using a Defensive Passive. Is PBR rank 3 or does it have the FIE advantage?

Rank 9 stat mods aren't going to provide much more vs rank 7 stat mods.

Your stats, crit rate/severity and specializations may compensate somewhat but I can't see what those are. I don't see anything that would provide a Particle damage debuff either.

Your DPS may have just dropped more than anticipated by changing your passive and role.

Granted about the mods, they aren't as efficient as I thought they would be. What I did was sacrifice the half the DPS I was doing for a boost to defense, because DPS I learned didn't serve me if I was dead, I had to find a way....so I had to go back to the drawing board So my criticals and offense (which I bet on for my damage instead of normal DPS damage) After going hybrid and using a defensive passive, my criticals and normal damage was around 2400 per tick on average, not as good , infact half of what I dealt before but acceptable to get me through some adventure packs and even the "Army of of One" perk. The shield and blocking powers also help compensate for the power needed to maintain attacks, giving me power as I take hits so I don't have to loose momentum for criticals.
    deagsvo-026d2c3d-3b0a-47ae-a7a2-7c1b2dc0b9bb.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWIzZTI4NmYtYTJkZS00MzNiLTlkOGItY2UyMWJjZjVhMzVhXC9kZWFnc3ZvLTAyNmQyYzNkLTNiMGEtNDdhZS1hN2EyLTdjMWIyZGMwYjliYi5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.fF9l_G56dt6HgTTApf2wrNF7zcke8yHLFf4zDHKOWyo
    Using my defense to also boost my offense, bonus to exposing for criticals and kinda tossing out the old book to create a workaround...and it wasnt too bad once finished. But now Im struggling to kill toys, 25-30 seconds to kill one of those and even a level 10 Tommygun. Not sure what happened, but it halved itself again and I cant figure out why. I didnt think to ask until the other toons gear set gave off the wrong numbers.
    confused.gif
    It does get confusing sometimes trying to make builds that don't let you down....

Yeah, your build is so focused on defense, it's DPS is suffering. Folks will have a lot of build advice if you post under the Builds and Roles section. Below is a build that keeps you in the Ranged DPS role but with some additional durability and healing in mind.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Link to this build: https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=36&n=&d=15380EjihXQN0M30637100730374037F009D039G03NK00K5031H00A6039E007X03OQ007D030ckr03tr3BIR10000000000&e=
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: Matter Manipulator (Con: 12, Ego: 12)
    Level 6: Jack of All Trades (Str: 2, Dex: 2, Con: 2, Int: 2, Ego: 2, Pre: 2, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 9: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 12: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 15: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Experimental Blaster (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Resurgence
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Blinding Light
    Level 26: Quantum Stabilizer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Overdrive
    Level 32: Fire All Weapons (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Sonic Device (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Quantum Stabilizer will give you some extra defense along with the Specializations: Force of Will, Aggressive Stance and Fortified Gear. I switched your block to Energy Shield for an extra 20% defense on block.

Your build was single target, so I kept this one that way. I personally like Vindicators The Rush of Battle specialization. If you're plowing through mobs one after another it acts as a nice HoT shield.

PBR is pretty low energy to use. Once you have Overdrive rolling you should fill up your energy bar. Even a couple of taps from Experimental Blaster will fill your energy bar from Concentration's energy input.

I switched out Vapor Form for Blinding Light. I really like Vapor Form but it does have a longer cool down and 50' range. If you're using PBR at full range, you may want to go with a 100' threat wipe.

Chest beam is in there for the particle damage debuff. It does force you into 50' range to apply but you can tap that and fire off two rounds of PBR for an easy rotation against bosses/cosmics.

If you want to keep Resurrections Serum, I'd probably switch out Sonic Device for it but you can obviously change anything.

I'd remove the Dodge mod and Particle Resistance mod from your defense gear and put in Impact mods. You may want to look into a Particle damage mod to slot into your utility gear. Justice Gear gives you +125 Offense, so you can slot Crit mods in your primary gear.

I bought a respec token and worked with it for a while, even put it back into DPS mode with a damage passive, setup just like it was before I switched to the shield passive...but still can't get the numbers I used to. SO if it's not a bug or a nerf, I'm not sure what is going wrong with my main toon or how to fix it again. He's dealing adequate damage again as a glass canon but my plans for Resistance are shelved until I can find a way to make him strong enough to run it without feeling like I'm playing "Cat Mario" lol. It won't effect my normal activities with events or anything since its mainly my solo toon for when I want to run content less advertised.

On a positive note, the build you shared did help give me ideas on boosting my power armored toons design, so thank you.

• stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    Have you thought of just making a dual passive build? That way you have the best of both worlds.

stratluver wrote: »
    Have you thought of just making a dual passive build? That way you have the best of both worlds.

If you could link a thread to explain what you mean in the builds category, Id be all ears.

catstarsto wrote: »
    I bought a respec token and worked with it for a while, even put it back into DPS mode with a damage passive, setup just like it was before I switched to the shield passive...but still can't get the numbers I used to. SO if it's not a bug or a nerf, I'm not sure what is going wrong with my main toon or how to fix it again. He's dealing adequate damage again as a glass canon but my plans for Resistance are shelved until I can find a way to make him strong enough to run it without feeling like I'm playing "Cat Mario" lol. It won't effect my normal activities with events or anything since its mainly my solo toon for when I want to run content less advertised.

On a positive note, the build you shared did help give me ideas on boosting my power armored toons design, so thank you.

I'm not sure if you made gear changes and/or specialization tree changes when you sifted builds? If it's still there, I'm not sure if the Particle resistance defense mod in your gear is able to work with your The Best Defense Specializations. If so, that would actually be a plus as defense mods for specific damage types are generally higher than what the all inclusive damage resistance mods provide. Having the Gamblers Gem in there doesn't help with your Fortified Gear specializations or The Best Defense.

On your screenshot with the defense passive (PFF) in the hybrid role, you did manage to get of a tick of 1492 PBR particle damage. The was probably a crit and probably higher base damage in the range that your PBR had. With a offense passive and the DPS role you should be getting significantly higher numbers. I tested my PBR based toon in the PH and I'm not seeing a noticeable decrease in DPS. I can't say I've kept careful watch on it but, if PBR was nerfed or bugged, it's not obvious to me or I'm not experiencing it for some reason.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    stratluver wrote: »

If you could link a thread to explain what you mean in the builds category, Id be all ears.

It's pretty straight forward.

When building your character you take 1 passive for Offense and another for Defense (e.g. I have a PA build which has Targeting Computer for offense and Invulnerability for defense).

Next, create 2 builds. One will use the Ranged role option, the other the Tank option (you could even create a hybrid build if you really wanted to). Be sure that Offensive passive is in the Passive slot for the Ranged build and and the Defensive passive is in the Passive slot for the Tank build.

Then, you just have to remember which build you want to be in and swap accordingly. E.g. against tough mobs you might start in the Tank build, then swap to Offense once you have taken out a couple guys. Here's my current PA dual passive as an example.

Dr. Harlem 8 - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Dual Wrist Rocket Barrage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds)
    Level 8: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Alpha Strike)
    Level 11: Overdrive
    Level 14: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Toxic Nanites
    Level 23: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Concentration
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Sonic Device
    Level 38: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Power Skating

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices

You might try adding a knock or CC power to your build to buy you some time. E.g. my Force Cascade build (also Ego, Rec, End) Night Warrior aims to hit as many mooks as possible. Those not killed outright have to slog back into range and I pick them off as they come back.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited December 2020
    ooooh, I see what you mean now. I thought you meant there was a way to use 2 passives at once, that would have been awesome. The CD between switching to take a Mega Destroid/s hit and then unleashing DPS back wouldn't work out. I may be trying to do something the system isn't designed for too; be a tank, healer and dps all in one toon to fill all roles like in STO.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I may be trying to do something the system isn't designed for too; be a tank, healer and dps all in one toon to fill all roles.
    A single build is generally only able to be good at one of those things at one time, though with build switching and more than one set of gear it's fairly possible to be tank/heal or tank/dps (heal/dps is hard to make practical).
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Also, here is another bug or nerf that happened to another toon;

Just note that the stats are correct if you look at the character window. Just the tooltip/display is bugged when you look at the item! That's a problem for the Valiant gear: right stats, wrong display.