test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Snake Charmer, Support/DPS

I have a plan for a sort of CC/DPS themed character of a serpent-like hero. Here's what I came up with:

Snake Charmer - Freeform (Hybrid)
v3.44:36

Super Stats
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
Level 9: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 12: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 18: Academics (Int: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Infernal Bolts
Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
Level 6: Supernatural Power
Level 8: Aspect of the Infernal (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Soul Mesmerism
Level 14: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 17: Life Essence (Rank 2, Infernal Bond)
Level 20: Entrancing
Level 23: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Telekinetic Reinforcement)
Level 26: Manipulator
Level 29: Defile (Rank 2)
Level 32: Venomous Breath (Paralytic Bile, Infectious Bile)
Level 35: Rebirth (Rank 2)
Level 38: Death's Embrace (Rank 2, Pact)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Superjump (Rank 2, Rebounding Resilience)

Specializations
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Overseer: Administer (3/3)
Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
Overseer: Enhanced Gear (2/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (2/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Sentry: Reinforce (2/2)
Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Advice always appreciated!

Comments

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    You have two toggles and no passive... Aspect of the infernal wanted to be something else, I suppose.
    Devour Essence is Melee and does not benefit from Ego or ranged specs.
    If you only plan to CC via root or the stun from the breath, that's not a lot of CC.

You need to focus a bit on one aspect (CC) or the other (DPS). You can still play an hybrid character of course, but right now the mix of ranged/melee, support and heal is a bit scattered.

What would you like the main aspect to be?

• hedgehog#9387 hedgehog Posts: 139 Arc User
    Yeah, I thought I was missing something. I always screw something up with the build planner, but I completely overlook it. I'd like to keep it most DPS, but with the ability to CC to some extent, possibly also heal.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    May I ask if you have a particular character concept, beyond the build?
    edited December 2020
    SFjndrx.jpg

Ava Ferris was a weird girl growing up. She experimented with different types of toxins in search of a new "buzz," perhaps the thrill of tempting death or the want to test herself. She drank different types of poisons and toyed with hazardous materials, not realizing what was taking place physiologically. Once she came into contact with Draysha, she found the ultimate high. In an already foolish move she consumed too much, however her immunity to other poisons defied its detrimental effects to her body. What would otherwise be a temporary steroidal side effect became permanent, and Ava found she was capable of doing some incredible things.

She developed venomous glands in her mouth that she could projectile spit in far distances. Her eyes could now flash in a strobe-like fashion, much akin to cuttlefish and their ability to hypnotize prey. Her physical skills soared beyond normal capacity and allowed her to bound large distances. All things have their balance however, as her skin became necrotic and hard. She no longer found sustenance in non-meat options, and found the rarer it was the better it became to consume. She would never live a regular life again, but many would argue she never did to begin with...
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    It feels like you are really aiming at ranged DPS infernal build with a dash of CC on the side? If that's the case you might try the following. Has most of what was there before. No Manipulator though since you are really DPS. You don't want Rebirth since it starts to do damage to you. I put Tornado Slash in there since it has both a stun and bleed component to it, and so will help you get the most out of the breath attack as a follow up (if you have Invisible Melee Weapons as a skin option you might find it more palatable). Superjump, while cool, might be redundant with R3 Athletics, so I left that blank. If you want even more CC, you could get the Psionic Accelerator device from the Drifter. Main single target attack is tapping with I Blast to set up Preemptive Strike and follow up with Defile. If you can live without Entrancing, or don't like the look of T Slash, you could pick up Will-o'-the-Wisp for its debuff and useful advs.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Infernal Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Pestilence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Soul Mesmerism
    Level 11: Aspect of the Infernal
    Level 14: Defile (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Mephitic
    Level 20: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Life Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Venomous Breath (Paralytic Bile, Infectious Bile)
    Level 29: Tornado Slash (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Entrancing
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited December 2020

Ava Ferris was a weird girl growing up. She experimented with different types of toxins in search of a new "buzz," perhaps the thrill of tempting death or the want to test herself. She drank different types of poisons and toyed with hazardous materials, not realizing what was taking place physiologically. Once she came into contact with Draysha, she found the ultimate high. In an already foolish move she consumed too much, however her immunity to other poisons defied its detrimental effects to her body. What would otherwise be a temporary steroidal side effect became permanent, and Ava found she was capable of doing some incredible things.

She developed venomous glands in her mouth that she could projectile spit in far distances. Her eyes could now flash in a strobe-like fashion, much akin to cuttlefish and their ability to hypnotize prey. Her physical skills soared beyond normal capacity and allowed her to bound large distances. All things have their balance however, as her skin became necrotic and hard. She no longer found sustenance in non-meat options, and found the rarer it was the better it became to consume. She would never live a regular life again, but many would argue she never did to begin with...

Doesn't sound like a hero, I'm guessing she's morally gray at best?
    How did she come in contact with VIPER's "draysha gas?" (Another Champions concept distorted by Cryptic.)
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a hero, I'm guessing she's morally gray at best?
    How did she come in contact with VIPER's "draysha gas?" (Another Champions concept distorted by Cryptic.)

To satiate her bizarre vices, she joined a group of activists promoting the disposal of toxic waste in the jungle. VIPER happened to have a nest in the area. Seeing as she was exhibiting signs of necrosis she was placed under quarantine in the field infirmary, which is when VIPER came back for their missing supply. She was able to avoid being seen during the raid on their camp, but had a first glance view of the brutality of the terrorist organization. After losing her friends, and seeing them take away her precious toxins, she vowed to hone her skills into a force that she could one day utilize against them.

Also, thank you for the rework. I'll try using it now!
    My thing is, I play DPS all the time. It would be fun to use more CC options and make her sort of a hybrid.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Well, you won't be doing great personal dps this way, but if you insist:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Condemn (Rank 2, Redemption Denied)
    Level 6: Supernatural Power
    Level 8: Pestilence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Manipulator
    Level 14: Infernal Blast (Rank 2, Virulent Propagation)
    Level 17: Life Essence (Rank 2, Infernal Bond)
    Level 20: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide)
    Level 23: Crippling Coils (Light Everlasting, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Voodoo Doll (Rank 2, Voodoo Curse)
    Level 32: Death's Embrace (Rank 2, Pact)
    Level 35: Fiery Embrace
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Dominion (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (2/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (1/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Overseer: Administer (3/3)
    Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
    Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
    Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

The open power slot can be w/e ya want.

It's a bit of a combo of a dps, CC, and support unit, though ofc not really excelling at any of them. You do provide very good debuffs and some CC for your team, though, and that can help make up for your own lower dps. Charged Condemn can be your main attack here- to put up and roll the debuffs, w/ the Wisp helping to debuff, Life Essence helping to heal, and IBlast as cheap & long-ranged attack that can build up and help spread Poisons. Crip Coils can also be used as an extra CC/debuff option here. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and End/Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    Is there no way to make an adequate CC/DPS? I guess if that's the case I might just try to make her a full support character instead. I'm kind of tired of DPS at this point.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Well, does support mean a full on CC type build, a healer, a debuffer, all of the above to some extent? Are you wed to using only powers from the Infernal set? Need to know parameters. Much can be done to give a character the right feel through costumes, auras and emanation points.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited December 2020
    Is there no way to make an adequate CC/DPS? I guess if that's the case I might just try to make her a full support character instead. I'm kind of tired of DPS at this point.
    Well you did say that you also wanted some support, and the more roles you try to add simultaneously the less proficient you'll be at any of them- that's just how CO is balanced. You can still make a dps/CC build, but assuming you mean to use something like Manip and CC powers (which usually have less overall dps than others), you'll always have to settle on doing less than ideal dps vs. a committed dmg unit. A debuffing build like I had above actually does dps/CC thing pretty well, since what you lack in personal dps you can make up for by giving the team Vuln, Wither, and/or Trapped (ofc, you'll also be pretty good at locking down trash). The 'support' aspect is mainly if you want to heal allies w/ Life Essence and/or help w/ reses (since you already would have Sent Aura/Mastery), and ofc you can't dps_CC (or do as much dps_CC) if you're spending time healing, so it'd more be a play-style choice for you.

Or you can make it more of a normal Support build, but like Jaaz said we'd need some more details.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    Huh, drat. I was hoping I could just have a character who could do some stuns/incapacitations whilst being able to dish out a little pain as well using the toxic branch of powers. It's alright then, I guess.
    edited December 2020
    Again, a build like mine can do that- just don't focus on trying to heal allies if you want to dps more (you can maybe keep Life Essence for healing yourself, though, if needed). You'll have decent background healing going off from Sent Mastery/Aura anyways. Either way, I think you are throwing in the towel too quickly, so I would recommend trying any builds out on the PTS and/or PH, at least.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Yeah, try the build by Flow. When he says the dps will be low, I guess he thinks of an optimized build, you will still fare quite well in single player and alerts.

What you will NOT be doing is topping the score chart in cosmics or play a specific role extremely well (i.e. kiga dog-sitter).

Well, I wouldn't say the personal dps would be very low on it, since you'd still be using a DPS role and passive, and the spec-related debuffs would also help your own dps, but I guess it depends on how high of a bar you're comparing it to. The debuffs can make up for that by boosting team dps, though, and yeah it should fare well in Alerts, and do fine when solo.