test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New PVD Suggestions

panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
Since it seems like PVDs (Power Variant Devices) have become a mainstay, I've got a few ideas I figure I could share in the hopes that maybe they might find their way into the game sometime. Most of these are pretty basic and for fun, but I still think they'd be cool to see, nonetheless.

Just as a disclaimer, these aren't power suggestions, since PVDs are generally reskins of existing powers. New power suggestions deserve their own thread for suggestions.
  • Potion Flask (Replaces Frag Grenade) - User throws a beaker at the target which deals toxic damage and applies Bane to targets. Also creates a toxic pool under the target that deals DoT and has a chance each tick to apply poison.
  • Cursed Amulet (Replaces Chest Beam) - Basically a copy of the DEMON Inner Circle Member's "necklace" chest beam attack. Would deal dimensional damage, possibly with bonus damage based on fear, or apply a debuff.
  • Plasma Chakram (Replaces Ricochet Throw) - User throws a glowing disc to enemies that has a growing chance to apply plasma burn with each target hit. Would pair nicely with Particle Smash!
  • Edomic Blast (Replaces Eldritch Blast) - A version of Shadow Destroyer and Arcana's black-colored eldritch blast that would deal dimensional damage. Maybe add some fun effects like AoE damage if the target is affected by fear.
  • Cryo Cannon (Replaces Flamethrower) - A flamethrower, but with ice! Deals cold damage and has a chance to apply chill with each tick. Paralyzes targets after a full maintain.
  • Flaming Uppercut (Replaces Uppercut) - Exactly what it sounds like. A nice fire damage uppercut to apply clinging flames to foes. Deals a burst of fire damage to enemies when attacking a target with CF.

I'll post more suggestions as I think of them. Feel free to share your own, or give feedback!

Comments

• dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    I would like some power variants that turn the chain attacks into Whips
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Taunting Physique (Impressive Physique), same concept but no longer heals allies around you. Still shields you, but applies Challenge!(AoE version) on enemies around the area, and then harms enemies that hit you in the duration (maybe then applying the Single-target Challenge!).

Another good power variant to have would be the Black Fang AoE knock up power (the one that has a headbutt animation upwards, like a rhino picking up someone by the horns and throwing up). Applies Challenge! on tap or full charge, and Reckless on full charge as a tank. Applies demolish on full charge as non-tank and, for clarity, does not apply Challenge on Non-tank. Could replace Havoc Stomp (since it is a PBAoE knock up) or Roomsweeper. And to be frank all I really want is that animation, it is a really good attacking animation for horned characters/beastial characters that we(players) don't have.

You can probably notice a pattern: the devices don't currently work for tanks due to the lack of Challenge Adv, since only R3 carries over to the device (unless my bad memory is acting up on me again), so it'd be nice to have things that work for tanks too. Even without Challenge! though, the devices are a great addition and I have been loving them so far, more choices is fun.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Most of the released power variant devices are pre-existing fx (though new powers):
    • The U-MD Ghostbuster is from the power replacer of the same name
    • The Qularr Toxic Rifle is from the Qularr Assault Rifle power replacer
    • The Pulp Fiction Ray Gun appears to be from the Gadroon Pistol power replacer.
    • The Shadow Shred device is a copy of Destroyer's power.
    • The Pumpkin Bomb is new as far as I know.
    This strongly suggests that other PVDs are likely to be from NPC powers or legacy power replacers.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Most of the released power variant devices are pre-existing fx (though new powers):
    • The Pulp Fiction Ray Gun appears to be from the Gadroon Pistol power replacer.
    This strongly suggests that other PVDs are likely to be from NPC powers or legacy power replacers.

Definitely the case, I agree. And it's easy to see why the devs would be very keen on reusing existing animations and assets. That said, they have made the pumpkin bomb brand new, so anything's possible. And this is, of course, the suggestion box, where we can dream of anything regardless of the actual chance it has of becoming reality. :)

That's also why I suggested a couple existing NPC powers like the Shadow Destroyer blast or the DEMON cultist chestbeam.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    panthrax77 wrote: »

Definitely the case, I agree. And it's easy to see why the devs would be very keen on reusing existing animations and assets. That said, they have made the pumpkin bomb brand new, so anything's possible. And this is, of course, the suggestion box, where we can dream of anything regardless of the actual chance it has of becoming reality. :)

That's also why I suggested a couple existing NPC powers like the Shadow Destroyer blast or the DEMON cultist chestbeam.

Would rather have them as powers i guess also, but why not both, we had soul vortex as a power device itself before it was added as power aswell after all. More variety is always better then just one side of things i say, Devices are quesitonable for me lately like the far better sidekicks then the ones you can drop as exampel like UNTIL Soldier or VIPER one. Devices and Vehicles can turn the game sadly in a literal P2W sadly i say, especially with people stacking it or those with bots that have there own team fill of armys of pets and devices.

Atleast make them unlock it as costume or so i say without changing the power and add it like weapon costumes as new tab or so. Making it new should nto be as hard as a device, copy and paste the pwoer and change damge type and design, which they clearly do already with the device then.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    panthrax77 wrote: »

Would rather have them as powers i guess also, but why not both, we had soul vortex as a power device itself before it was added as power aswell after all. More variety is always better then just one side of things i say, Devices are quesitonable for me lately like the far better sidekicks then the ones you can drop as exampel like UNTIL Soldier or VIPER one. Devices and Vehicles can turn the game sadly in a literal P2W sadly i say, especially with people stacking it or those with bots that have there own team fill of armys of pets and devices.

Atleast make them unlock it as costume or so i say without changing the power and add it like weapon costumes as new tab or so. Making it new should nto be as hard as a device, copy and paste the pwoer and change damge type and design, which they clearly do already with the device then.

I mentioned in the original post that these devices are meant to be different from powers. They're more like skins of existing ones, not their own thing. It makes sense to make unique devices like these for powers that are the same in every way except for damage type and visuals, and maybe a couple little bits.

If you did that with powers, you'd just have a bunch of powers doing basically the same thing. Fully new powers deserve their own thread of course, and this shouldn't take away from that at all.