test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Eidolon Observations

hallsofwallshallsofwalls Posts: 77 Arc User
edited December 2020 in Missions and Content
Edit: If you want to skip the wall of text, here are some bullet points for DPS players-

1) Don't run in front of Eidolon. He has a maintained cone attack that hits in a massive area behind his main target.
2) Run out of any wireframe circles that appear on the ground. They hurt. Keeping your travel power on helps.
3) Use threat wipes. Eidolon will periodically drop threat from his main target. You don't want his attention.
4) During the red orb phase, the only way to damage them is to kill Portal Guardians when they're right next to the orbs.
5) During the yellow orb phase, ranged DPS should focus on taking them out. Melee should stick to Eido unless it's an emergency.
6) When Shadow Claw tentacles pop up, ranged DPS with 100' attacks should focus on them. Melee should again stay on Eido.

I'm sure someone will come up with a comprehensive guide sooner or later, but I thought I'd offer what I have for now.

The reworked Eidolon of Destruction has several phases, determined by his current health. I don't have any experience tanking, so this post is about what the rest of the group can expect. The HP values of each phase, and the spawn rate & fuse timers of enervating crystals, are just from eyeballing the numbers during the fight and might not be 100% precise.

At certain phase transitions, the Eidolon will drop all threat from his primary target. This means he'll switch focus to the second-highest threat target, ideally one of the side tanks. This seems to occur after the first Shadow Eruption, and at the start of each Shadow Crystal phase. It may happen at other phases, too; I'm not positive on this. DPS should be managing their threat throughout the fight to avoid drawing his ire, ideally by using threat wipe skills- although getting killed will work in a pinch.

Travel powers can be used during this fight, but there's a fairly low invisible ceiling which removes them. Flying too high, charging a superjump too long, or swinging carelessly will find you plummeting to the ground, taking fall damage and being unable to reactive your TP for a bit.

20m HP: The fight begins. Eido demands at least 2 tanks- he'll build up a stacking debuff on the tank if his attacks are not split between multiple targets. Eidolon's most troublesome attack for everyone else is Shadow Shred, an enormous maintained cone that deals magical damage. He'll also occasionally cast Shattering Rain, a large wireframe circle on the ground (centered on a random character) that damages and strips travel powers from anyone inside it. Get out of it right away, but be prepared to take a hit- the damage starts very quickly. Eido will be doing these things throughout the fight, except during the Shadow Crystal phases when he becomes invulnerable and does nothing.

While casting Shattering Rain, Eido won't be doing anything else for several seconds. This gives a brief window to resurrect people who died in unsafe locations. He will, however, interrupt his casting animation to do phase transitions, including his deadly AoE Shadow Eruption. Keep a close eye if his HP is nearing a threshold.

19.6m HP: 20 minute timer starts.

17m HP: Threat Wipe. Eido will do a powerful AoE magic attack, Shadow Eruption, that hits everyone. This is telegraphed by a Boom! tell, an animation of him flexing low, and a slight darkening at the corners of your screen. This darkening effect can be subtle and might not be enough warning on its own. 6 Portal Guardians spawn and move in to attack. It seems best to kill them, but they can be kept alive to use against the crystals in the next phase.

15m HP: Threat Wipe. Eidolon will teleport to the center of the field, becoming immune to damage and stunning everyone. All form stacks (concentration, compassion, etc.) will be removed from players. 2 Shadow Crystals spawn, along with several Portal Guardians. The crystals can only be destroyed by killing 3 PGs directly adjacent to them. Wrangling the PGs into position can be frustrating; make sure you allow them enough space to stand right next to the crystal, and a clear path to reach it. It takes an uncomfortable amount of time for them to respawn, so try not to kill them out of position. During this phase, powers that resurrect other players are blocked.

The crystals themselves cause damage to everyone, stacking every 3? seconds for each crystal alive and uncontrolled. The crystals can be Held or Stunned to temporarily halt the damage buildup. Although immune to damage, hitting them does seem to lower the duration of hold effects, so crystals should probably be dealt with 1 at a time to maximize hold duration on untouched crystals. After the last crystal falls, Eido becomes active again- watch out for a surprise Shadow Shred.

Since Eido has now teleported to the center of the room and isn't up against the north wall any longer, it's safest for the tanks to keep him pointed toward a side wall to minimize the area of the battlefield his Shadow Shred can cover. A consistent facing will make it easier for everyone else to navigate the rest of the fight safely.

13-11m HP: Eidolon will do another AoE Shadow Eruption attack on everyone. Enervating Crystals will spawn every 10 seconds. They explode after 18 seconds, killing everyone if not destroyed. 100k HP each. There's a buff icon on the crystals with their countdown timer, and a yellow circle underneath each one that slowly contracts the nearer it is to detonating. If there are multiple crystals up at once, always go for the one that's nearer to exploding first.
Be aware of which way the tanks have Eido pointing- don't cross in front of him on the way to the crystals, or you risk death from Shadow Shred. Also, he will still be casting Shattering Rain (the damage circle that strips travel powers) which can appear in inconvenient places. Mobile ranged DPS should take out the crystals, while slow melee sticks on Eido. This phase ends after he takes 2 million damage.

10-8m HP: A purple whirlpool portal will open on the battlefield, causing increasing amounts of damage and snare to anyone inside it. Shadow Claws will emerge from it at a set rate. They attack random targets at long range and strip buffs in a small AoE on their target. While they can be Held or Stunned, the duration of holds applied to them is greatly reduced, and they will continue to spawn. Killing them quickly with 100' ranged attacks seem like the best way to manage their numbers. 2 million damage on Eido ends this phase.

Because the Claws deal damage in an area around their target, players (aside from tanks) should try to maintain a bit of distance from each other for added safety.

8m HP: Threat Wipe. Eidolon will again stun everyone and teleport to the center, becoming immune. 3 Shadow Crystals and a number of Portal Guardians will spawn during this phase. Same as before, but more crystals means the damage over time will escalate faster. CC becomes more necessary than before.

5-3m HP: Third and final AoE Shadow Eruption, and another round of Enervating Crystals. This time they spawn every 8 seconds, so it's a bit more hectic. Phase ends after Eido takes 2 million damage.

2m HP: The final phase. A portal with continuously emerging Shadow Claws will open (they might spawn more rapidly now; uncertain), several Portal Guardians will spawn (possibly delayed, or at 1.5m HP), and golden wireframe columns will start appearing on top of players. The columns erupt in deadly geysers shortly after appearing, so move out of them and keep up the damage on Eido. CCing the Portal Guardians seems workable, but the Shadow Claws are better off killed. The tanks will be dodging the columns, too, so be very aware of their position and Eido's facing to avoid being killed by Shadow Shred.
Post edited by hallsofwalls on

Comments

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Much good, gets the anti-CEDD stamp of approval, anyone reading this can do the battle no problem.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I still don't understand what an Anglo-Saxon monk has to do with this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedd
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • hallsofwallshallsofwalls Posts: 77 Arc User
    The first post was, I hope, a decent if long-winded summary of the fight. This follow-up is mostly wishful thinking and would require more coordination than it is reasonable to expect.

Certain parts of the fight, even when successful, often seem on the edge of spinning out of control. This is probably by design; it's certainly easy to see the final phase as intentionally nerve-wrecking. But for the red Shadow Crystal phases, I think most of the chaos could be mitigated with different tactics.

The first one kicks off with the Eidolon teleporting to the center of the field, blinding & stunning everyone, and becoming immune to damage. Two crystals spawn, one at the north end and one at the south, followed by a number of Portal Guardians- I think it's 6 at a time, just enough to cover two crystals.

From what I've seen, this usually leaves a couple tanks at Eido, a bunch of DPS scattered near the north side attacking wildly, and a few people clustered around the north crystal. If there's someone with CC, they'll be off paralyzing the south crystal.

The PGs are awkwardly lured north, some of them being killed on the way. The huge cluster of players around the north crystal often gets in the way of their pathfinding, leaving them out of range even when look like they might be close enough. Eventually enough have been properly positioned to get the crystal destroyed, and the team moves south. During the transition, a tank or healer may draw some PGs back to Eido, delaying the process. By the time the first phase is complete, the DoT has often reached worrisome levels of damage, and some resurrections are needed while the remaining PGs are being cleared. Phase two of the crystals may be looking dicey already.

So: What if the party was split at the phase transition, with the tanks sticking on Eido to keep him positioned properly for the next phase, and each crystal having one CCer (or healer with a paralyze device) controlling them? There would be several seconds without any damage buildup while the hold ticked down.

If all non-tanks arrayed themselves behind the crystals and waited patiently without attacking, while a few long-range attackers each selected a different Portal Guardian to lure, the PGs could be moved into place without the usual mess. Then, once they have been dragged right on top of the crystals, proceed to kill them as usual.

The second Shadow Crystal phase wouldn't play out exactly the same. With 2 crystals, and 6 PGs, they couldn't all be taken down at once. But repeating the process as before with north and south, and then converging on the middle crystal, seems like it should work. One CCer could cover the middle crystal in addition to the north or south. So long as no one is hitting them until the PGs have been lured into place, it should all go smoothly.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I'm sure things will become smoother as regulars figure things out and start following a standard operating procedure. I'm more worried about the devs overtuning it again.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    @hallsofwalls
    1 ccer is plenty for any orb that isn't being worked on (it's trivial to cover the south and central orb with 1 ccer - orbs don't burn through holds faster than normal). Orbs which are being worked on are pretty much impossible to cc (too much ongoing AoE damage, and incidental holds on attack powers). And a ccer should be able to self-heal the (lessened) DoT, and if they're camping the south orb when it spawns, avoid attracting the attention of PGs, so no healer needed.

Do note that you can't cc orbs immediately when they spawn, you have to wait a few seconds. I'm not sure why this is, but cc doesn't 'stick' for the first few seconds. (This is kind of annoying, as i didn't notice a clear indication when the cc immunity period ended, fortunately taser arrow doesn't have cd).

Also, while you can (very briefly) cc tentacles, a 1 minute paralyze disappears near instantly, even without any damage dealt to the tentacle. This means there's a lack of things for ccers to cc for most of the fight - more than 1 cc is a waste of precious slots under the zone cap.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    @hallsofwalls
    1 ccer is plenty for any orb that isn't being worked on (it's trivial to cover the south and central orb with 1 ccer - orbs don't burn through holds faster than normal).
    Yes they do, they appear to have +300% hold resistance, so they reduce hold duration by 75%. That still doesn't mean more than one CCer though.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    @hallsofwalls
    1 ccer is plenty for any orb that isn't being worked on (it's trivial to cover the south and central orb with 1 ccer - orbs don't burn through holds faster than normal).
    Yes they do, they appear to have +300% hold resistance, so they reduce hold duration by 75%. That still doesn't mean more than one CCer though.

Huh, guess i wasn't watching that closely. Well, i managed to cc both orbs in the second phase just fine.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    @hallsofwalls

Huh, guess i wasn't watching that closely. Well, i managed to cc both orbs in the second phase just fine.
    Note that the way hold resistance appears in game isn't that it changes the nominal duration of the effect (as shown on the icon); instead, the effect is that the duration drops by multiple seconds every second.