test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are my designs against the rules?

Another player approached me in game and said i would get banned from the game for making my RWBY cosplays. Is this true??

So far Ive made Yang, Neon, Blake, Flynt and planned to make Weiss and Ruby tonight, but now Im not sure. Can a Dev or GM answer this? You see, I was filming cosplays to show off the limits of what the game is capable of with its customization options....not just Hulks, Supermans and Batman clones.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

Best Answer

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    The rules are sufficiently draconian that even with permission from Tenacious D, I would be unable to create Wonderboy (and, of course, his Nemesis, Young Nasty Man). Pity, as the introduction of invisible weapons means that now Wonderboy really can kill a yak at 200 yards with mind bullets! (That's telekinesis, Kyle!)

Then again, I'd have to pick up Mind Control, to give him "the power... to move you", so maybe it's just as well. :smile:​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Answers

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Another player approached me in game and said i would get banned from the game for making my RWBY cosplays. Is this true??

So far Ive made Yang, Neon, Blake, Flynt and planned to make Weiss and Ruby tonight, but now Im not sure. Can a Dev or GM answer this? You see, I was filming cosplays to show off the limits of what the game is capable of with its customization options....not just Hulks, Supermans and Batman clones.

I dunno what RWBY means mate but I can attempt to answer you.

First of all it is against the rules of CO to create "clones", meaning copies of existing characters that are the intellectual property (intangible property that is the result of creativity) of someone else..... like making a copy of Hulk, Superman or Batman. I don't know who Yang, Neon, Blake, Flynt, Weiss and Ruby are but if they are owned by another person or corporation/company other than you then they fall under the same rule.

The obvious reason for this rule in CO is so that Cryptic and/or Perfect World don't get sued by the likes of DC, Marvel, Lucasfilms, etc, etc for allowing their characters to be made in CO.

One way that some people try to get away with making clones is by giving them a different name than the original that they are copying, not all names that belong to others are banned by the character creator but they could be noticed by GMs or other players, who might report you for IP infringement.

Now what happens if you are caught for making clones is up to Cryptic themselves. You might be "bad-named" which means the GM will change your name to "Bad name" to take away the offending name as well as your costume being reset. I have seen this happen and have friends who it happened to but it's no biggie as you can change your name to something else at no cost.

I have no idea if you would be banned for making clones, but I can imagine that it could happen to players who continue to do this even after a warning.

I get that you are makin those costumes just to show what the customisation here can do, but if I were you I wouldn't show them of in busy areas. Take screenshots of them or show them to friends in your hideout.... that way you won't be seen and reported.

So, in a nutshell, your friend may have been exaggerating somewhat but in the end the punishment for IP infringements is up to the GM.

I hope that helped.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Copies of existing characters are against the rules... while I imagine clones(or copies) that are not your typical hulks or batmans may take longer to be reported... these still are subject to the same rules. However you can get away of a lot of things if you make "homages" instead of "clones" the difference? not much other than some color changes and or changes to minor details.

• Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    You see, the critical point is that someone might report you. If someone does, then the GM might act as TMZenith said.

Additionally, if you just make the character and record a video, without any serious repeated use of the character in game, I seriously doubt you will actually get consequences. Posting videos of those characters online?.... I honestly do not know.

• Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    My project to bring more people to the game did get at least 2 more people interested to join me http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1206158/gameplay-station

But now i think ill hold off advertising the "cosplay tests" until i see what they say, im actually trying to get good PR for the game and bring in more players. so they will get a bigger budget and expand it more.

oh, and RWBY is a fan film you can watch online

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I really want to thank you for linking that video. I watched all 4 of them as they were absolutely brilliant........ gorgeous art, amazing stylisation and the music was fantastic too. Great stuff!

You may have opened my eyes a little to anime :)

P.S. For what it's worth you did a great job at creating Yang.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited September 2016

I really want to thank you for linking that video. I watched all 4 of them as they were absolutely brilliant........ gorgeous art, amazing stylisation and the music was fantastic too. Great stuff!

You may have opened my eyes a little to anime :)

=^.^=

----------

I also went right to the source, and left the team at RoosterTeeth this message, ill post the reply here. if they are cool with us cosplaying their characters ill continue my work, if not ill remove the likenesses and carry on with my other toons.

• Options
    So I want to make a clone of DJ MadBot, who is an NPC in CO. Is that fine? It probably won't cause lawsuits from DC or Marvel.
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Lol for the Necro.

Yes I think you can copy a NPC from within the game... They do give us Defenders and Foxbats costumes after all