test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Player blocking improvements

Currently, adding a player to the ignore list only gives you the ability to block the chat.
But outside of chat, this feature is meaningless.
So I propose the following additional options
All of them are assumed to be individually switchable on and off.

1. Invisible.
Hide the blocked player's character completely with transparency or blacking out. All graphic effects such as aura and super magnifier will be disabled.
The name floater will remain visible, but will be replaced with a foreground character, like "*******".

2. Mute.
Mute all sound effects such as abilities and travel powers.

3. Avoid matching.
You will no longer be able to match with parties whose users you have blocked.
It would be better if you could choose to include them or not when you start matching.

4. Toggle on/off the chat ignore.
For trade or something else.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on this.
Tagged:

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Bring blocking tutorial back!
    Wait...nvm..
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    In 9 years of playing I've never felt any need for any of the above features. Muting has been adequate. I do need power revamps and additions and new soloable end game content.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The only blocking improvement I feel is needed is 'you are unable to send direct messages to people you have blocked'.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Only blocking that needs desperate change is Fludity, since it not is guaranteed to dodge unlike a block which can kill you on foes like Jack Fool. Overall more tweaks to bring blocks more in line with others that are clearly overused like Void Block Advantage.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    A bit much, just to ignore a person. I'd prefer a temp ignore for when role players start talking in zone or someone begins generic rant about CO state and CoH. It will put the on mute for like 1hr 24 and cooldown after that.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    In most other games, I can always move along, change instances, log on a different character, etc. But here, I mostly play the Cosmics and events. Both of which put you with a bunch of other players in a relatively singular location.

This is when a trolling player that can do all of the annoying things is a big problem ... for me. So, yes, I'd like to totally have Player X on FULL IGNORE so I'm not pestered by their antics.

Currently, I can tell if someone I have on IGNORE is commenting because other players are responding to them. I refuse to FEED THE TROLL.

Additionally, I can look at the zone list of players. If their name is in RED, they're on my IGNORE list. If the name is GREEN, they're on my FRIENDS list. It's up to me to decide if I care to UNIGNORE someone.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »
    In most other games, I can always move along, change instances, log on a different character, etc. But here, I mostly play the Cosmics and events. Both of which put you with a bunch of other players in a relatively singular location.

This is when a trolling player that can do all of the annoying things is a big problem ... for me. So, yes, I'd like to totally have Player X on FULL IGNORE so I'm not pestered by their antics.
    In general I think that teamups should override ignore settings so it's impossible to ignore people during events. People who have a long ignore list are a liability during team events.
  • mastercontrol7mastercontrol7 Posts: 181 Arc User
    Isn't the Blocking ignore thing only good for blocking people for telling spoilers?

That what I use it for.

Right now I have seen it more problematic Considering the content we are getting and what content stuff we have, in other words, it fine the way it is, if anything I would be happy to see my Friends or my SG members having Special Icons or Colors when they chat on text box At Least have the character name Flashing in particular color like GREEN For Friend, and BLUE for SG Member, or with just any custom option color, However, I get the feeling even with that going to be a challenge to add Even that... e_e

Back to the topic

Right now it fine as it is unless we adding a temp option of adding someone to the ignore list.

on 1. we already got ways to turn people names off, some of this look abusive for PVP [And no PVP is still not dead.]

on 2. I like it, but would that be complex to add in and Could cost more bugging issues?

on 3. I see this as problematic, The reason is understandable. but we Don't have a lot of people playing this game to really be picky and again seems like a lot of work, and Matching making in a Free 2 Play game? not going to work so well, I've seen a lot of matchmaking in a lot of game fail because of well bad coding.

on 4. this may be the only one they could do that if they see it a Priority.

In general I think that teamups should override ignore settings so it's impossible to ignore people during events. People who have a long ignore list are a liability during team events.

I disagree on every point here.

First, I'm not the bad person here because I put someone on Ignore. They got on my list for usually more that one reason.

Second, disabling my Ignore now means they can be even more of a bothersome player. I don't need to see any potential helpful callouts this player might make. I'm usually pretty aware of what's going on. And, there are other players calling out things who aren't on my Ignore list.

Third, I'm not the liability if I have a long list of Ignored players. Those players have demonstrated, to me, that they are a liability.

I will, as the occasion deems, take some players off of my Ignore list. They must be present at the "event" and showing up in the Instance view of players. If I see someone who is RED but doing some positive actions, I'll take them off of the list. If/when they demonstrate that this was a mistake, then they go back on the list. This is their fault. Not mine.​​

First, I'm not the bad person here because I put someone on Ignore. They got on my list for usually more that one reason.

Second, disabling my Ignore now means they can be even more of a bothersome player. I don't need to see any potential helpful callouts this player might make.​​
    Yes you do. While it's possible you never make a mistake, it's not terribly likely, and even if you're an exception, people who either have very long ignore lists or just turn off zone and whitelist tells are a legitimate problem in group content.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Not sure what constitutes a "long" ignore list and there's no real way to tell if many people on my list have been at all active in the game in the last few years. However, there are at least a few people who do still sometimes show up at cosmics who make them absolutely unbearable (I can tell from the chat of the people who haven't banned them). My choice is to leave them on ignore or leave the cosmic. I choose the former.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Second, disabling my Ignore now means they can be even more of a bothersome player. I don't need to see any potential helpful callouts this player might make.
    Yes you do. While it's possible you never make a mistake, it's not terribly likely, and even if you're an exception, people who either have very long ignore lists or just turn off zone and whitelist tells are a legitimate problem in group content.

You're still not making a legitimate argument. And still want to point the finger at the wrong person.

Now, your last line about turning off zone or whitelisting tells is a different matter. My experience has been that the BAD players doing BAD things do this. This person is totally ignoring anything from EVERYONE. Big difference to having some BAD players on my Ignore list.​​

• mastercontrol7mastercontrol7 Posts: 181 Arc User
    I'm happier if someone put me or someone on ignores List than to have the Whole Zone chat turn off or have Chat off in general. At least you hear and see the people saying: "Hey! you doing wrong! You Going Wrong! Stop! Stop! Stop!"

If you have to ignore then, ignore. You're doing yourself and the whole player base a favor by doing that instead of having chat turned off because I'm getting tired of hearing the Excuse that the person turning the chat off, but still do Group content... WTH?