test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are we supposed to do?

I've read a lot of complaints and went over some, not all issues discussed, even threads that where locked. I have issues I've noticed with the game as well, my gadget class despite my upgrades still feels like I can't get it to it's full potential, and my vehicle stalls and putters when I first activate it, nevermind it that it deals less damage then the year 1 orbital strike in STO. I'd just like to know where Cryptic is taking us and what we should expect in the near future with all that has been done. I realize a motivated project leader has their own mind and goals about things, so if you are wanting to steer us away from one expectation or many that we have already invested in or desired within our present goals, show us your goals so we know what will be profitable and will work for your vision of this game so we can respec for what works...or is supposed to now.

If this has already been discussed somewhere, please share with me a link or two as I realize I'm not up on the latest news. All that I've heard and read so far is here say when looking for information.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    We are waiting the Winter Event.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mastercontrol7mastercontrol7 Posts: 181 Arc User
    You're not the only one that thinks of this, would be nice to have A Roadmap or a "Hey! here our future for Champions Online..." sort of Newswire.

Not like our words going to mean much to turn it around.

There been times I even asked myself Do they Even have a plan or ideas what are they going to do with this game? and OR would these Ideas would help the game or make it Worst? when you look at how people react within this game, Big and small, get your answer, I Always hope this isn't the REAL Answer they going for, But, Sadly we have to wait and see...
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    It's pretty simple, really. The Devs don't tell us plans (even if phrased carefully as tentative plans) because they don't want to be held accountable by players who think that plans = promises.

They announced in the summer that the 3rd part of the Serene Abyss arc was going to come out for the anniversary. Pretty clearly they bit off more than they can chew and it is being pushed off to next year (presumably so they can get the Archery and Earth power revamps out for Christmas ;) ). That's fine, but hopefully they won't go back on this (and even more hopefully the 3rd part will witness a change in the clunky system by which we get the current missions).
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • This is a fairly dead game. Compared to most games, this game gets barely anything new because there's only one consistent dev (Kaiserin) and what I can imagine is help from others from time to time. This game is more than ten years old, meaning it's close to ancient. It's not a priority for the bigger company either.

Would it be nice to have some idea what they're planning? Yes. However it's best to not have high expectations of them and honest if you're having second thoughts about playing, take a break and see if if it gets better a few months in the future. If new powers are coming and changing existing powers too there could be some potential. If they add a plant and water power set and generally restructure the archery, earth and force power then maybe it could have a bit of a comeback.

But I'm finished giving money to a game that could easily be cancelled a few months later because it's not generally doing well. You can look at part of it as not making the game a priority and not making more content more often but this game has changed so many hands and with it different directions. Now it seems like a game you log in get a few dailies done and then log off. It's a casual game and nothing that serious MMO players should deal with because of the lack of content coming in and reasons to play. I find after level 40 there just isn't anything really to do beyond the cosmics. For myself personally I found this year's Bloodmoon to be disappointing.

• ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    Can only agree with you here nyghtshroude, but i say i prefer a more casual game over a game that wants me to play 24/7 or grind for days for something that might not be as good in a feew weeks or so or overuseed by others. Bloodmoon was nice as it is, done my dailies and not grinded the tombs or open missions, not bother for vehicles and auras due character bound and limting customizaiton, unlike costumes. I rather have such i can come back to when i want without having to invest much or feel lost to much if not keepign up, only exception are the GCR stuff prices with costumes but eh.

And yes game could be dead any day and gone, it depends how and when you started, i have the game for like 11 years now i think and maybe Lifetime for 10 years? And i not regret it much, but i cna see that no one would pay Lifetime now in this state, the game could be so much more still if subs would be possible even still but since they removed that also and onyl legacy sub keeps running it is questionable why and who decides such dumb actions at times with this game.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Here's the actual dev plan :
    Before vehicle nerf : +/- 150 active players per month
    After vehicle nerf : +/- 140 active players per month.
    Average loss : 6%
    You can now figure where it's going.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    6.66%

The devil!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User

*Spits out drink.* We have how many?
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    +/- 140 active players per month.

Interesting figure. And defining "Active" in a resctrictive way, it's probably a bit generous :cold_sweat:

MC had 6 copies at 50 players each during the Bloodmoon peak in European evening time, so 300 players in a higher profile event. Much less than that in the Anniversary event.

All in all I love this game. I leave it alone for months at a time and then I am called back like a moth just to scratch that new build/costume itch. But new content has not been this game forte since On Alert!

So I too think that there is no "roadmap" other than:
    1) strive to update what this game does best, COSTUMES
    2) try to give a pass to the powersets, avoiding overtinkering with mechanics (see the first Laser Sword Revision)
    3) change interesting open missions to an event/alert counterpart to make it easier to participate.
    4) very occasionally output a new mission chain

I doubt Steam has such a restrictive way, only blinded fanbois can contest objective numbers.
    Interesting, indeed.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    Does anyone at Cryptic or who is ever in charge now actually converse with us or answer questions?

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    You get Kais and Kael.

Kais shares things on the unofficial discord but not really the official forums.

Kael answers things during CCs but more like Tom Holland trying to not spoil the end of a movie.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 631 Arc User

Where are these numbers coming from?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    The only accurate place, Thin Air.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    You get Kais and Kael.

Kais shares things on the unofficial discord but not really the official forums.

Kael answers things during CCs but more like Tom Holland trying to not spoil the end of a movie.

That's unfortunate, I was hoping to share a few bugs I'd found and Idea's I'd like to see in game. But if they aren't even here on the official forums reading them...
    giphy.gif

I always wonder how much work time she spends chatting on discord.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    edited November 2020
    @catstarsto

Didn’t say they don’t read forum ideas.

@jaazaniah1

I not sure that’s important. I’m working and this is unrelated to my job. At least the chatter is work related...so I can’t shame her for that. It would be nice to have more of a presence here though.

Also if CO had an actual in game GM.
    edited November 2020
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    The only accurate place, Thin Air.

Failed impersonification but you're proving my point on the fanbois, I agree with this part.
    Heh, but you're not being paid to develop this game ;)

Agreed that if she spends time communicating about the game it would be better to have it on the company's official forum, rather than an unofficial discord site.
    @jaazaniah1

I not sure that’s important. I’m working and this is unrelated to my job. At least the chatter is work related...so I can’t shame her for that. It would be nice to have more of a presence here though.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited November 2020
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Heh, but you're not being paid to develop this game ;)

Agreed that if she spends time communicating about the game it would be better to have it on the company's official forum, rather than an unofficial discord site.

If you where addressing me, It's important to share bugs so they get fixed, and ideas so they know what players would spend money on.

I'm kinda hoping they give it a rest with the dark and evil things, not everyone lives for Thriller & Twilight, and even expand on their own universe here. One of my ideas was about 3 tech variations of Until and Viper, in the hopes of getting more SciFi soldier themed powers, so capes, ghouls and mages aren't getting all of the best stuff. But I know nothing of the devs here, I have to ask the questions, "are they open to ideas?" "if not, what we ask for will it be guaranteed to never be considered for daring to ask?" "Are they friendly to begin with?" Until there is dialogue, who knows where you stand with people unless they let you in.
    tenor.gif

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    I doubt Steam has such a restrictive way, only blinded fanbois can contest objective numbers.
    Interesting, indeed.

Oh yeah, I just meant that the people that are constantly active, participate a bit in the forums, and regularly do events/endgame are probably less.

edited November 2020
    Interesting, indeed.

Oh yeah, I just meant that the people that are constantly active, participate a bit in the forums, and regularly do events/endgame are probably less.

I wouldn't count the people on the forum the same as the ones who are playing, some of those people rarely playing this daily, or at all.

And Even if the argument is we have people play by Via Arc Launcher that doesn't make it a good thing being what the numbers are right now, Compare this game to Star Trak Online, Neverwinter, Both Cryptic game that's is doing 2x better then this game Champion Online even its problems...
    Interesting, indeed.

The Steam numbers do not count the players logging in via ARC so it is possible there's a little more than that but not so much more, I think.
    Well I never used either for 10 years
    I don't use either Arc or Steam. No reason not to just use GameClient.exe.
    JwLmWoa.png
    I have an idea, anyone who has access to a dev's ear can share if it serves your interest too; why not allow us to use our ranged abilities while we have our vehicle's active? That way they don't need to be worked on, treat them as a skin like when we turn into other things for some missions, even that space suit that only has visual attributes for those who with to RP the space portion? Picture healers, magic users, gunners, etc casting or fulfilling their roles but with the visualization of the vehicle. Im sure it would take little effort on their part to just set it up as a costume since costume's are an end game thing even Kaiserin even promotes.
    de96rtx-0496b1af-e6cf-4fa2-b212-f01cc28799b6.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWIzZTI4NmYtYTJkZS00MzNiLTlkOGItY2UyMWJjZjVhMzVhXC9kZTk2cnR4LTA0OTZiMWFmLWU2Y2YtNGZhMi1iMjEyLWYwMWNjMjg3OTliNi5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.7Upl2fl94s_eb9lJqOJbVVB0U45fbPI4L-UdSCRP8U0
    I've recently acquired a Tigris after a lot of saving and grinding, it would be great to be able to use it for missions, events and cosmics...even if Im only using my normal ava's powerset through it. It would also open the door to more cheap addons to the game to improve aesthetic quality and customization at least!

You are asking for a lot there. There are even travel powers we have that can't be used with any other powers. You also need to understand that the current dev team doesn't like vehicles and gimping them (not improving them) seems to be a priority. Just think of vehicles now as travel devices and you'll have a better idea of where things are going.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited November 2020
    You are asking for a lot there. There are even travel powers we have that can't be used with any other powers. You also need to understand that the current dev team doesn't like vehicles and gimping them (not improving them) seems to be a priority. Just think of vehicles now as travel devices and you'll have a better idea of where things are going.

I was trying to put together a solution that would benefit us (the customers) should the issue be funding or being short staffed but, I found out a lot from your answer, thank you. I wasn't sure how to originally ask the question should my assumption be false, but I fear you confirmed my suspicions...it's not about what the customer wants. Which brings back the other question, what are they wanting to work? And what are their plans so we can try and build around their needs, so "our" gaming sessions aren't too badly disrupted by the limitations and handicaps put upon us, as they steer us to the direction that serves them alone? ...sounds familiar.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F600x315%2F9e%2F00%2F41%2F9e00417987f132b4c7f72dfd70362e7f.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    EDIT: It is also not a good idea to damage something after a customer purchases it, if it was intended to work a certain way initially we should get what we pay for...you have to admit, you wouldn't like it yourself.

Think of what you just said here, You saying The Devs know what we want meanwhile they give us few A lot of things that turn people off if not made people upset and lower the reason to Resume to play or care about this game during the past 3 years IF they want to lower the player Pop I'm all for it... I don't think anyone else would be, but that me being Inclusive, since that not a common thing being on Forums here I guess. :)
    There are even travel powers we have that can't be used with any other powers.

This is false I seen Travel powers work well together, Thanks to this game glitching and bugging out, and Thanks to the Main Game features allow this to be a thing, if anything it is a case of them NOT wanting to Do this or that even though it would be in their best interests, Me? I just want this game to survive I could care less of whatever I just want this game to last not for me but for everyone else, I'm sick of playing games that die all because of BS, Can we not have that with this game? Please Devs???
  • tradeapocalypsetradeapocalypse Posts: 2 Arc User
    It's pretty simple, really. The Devs don't tell us plans (even if phrased carefully as tentative plans) because they don't want to be held accountable by players who think that plans = promises.

They announced in the summer that the 3rd part of the Serene Abyss arc was going to come out for the anniversary. Pretty clearly they bit off more than they can chew and it is being pushed off to next year (presumably so they can get the Archery and Earth power revamps out for Christmas ;) ). That's fine, but hopefully they won't go back on this (and even more hopefully the 3rd part will witness a change in the clunky system by which we get the current missions).

Oh? are they really gonna fix Archery? That'd be interesting, I want to see what they can come up with. Also I'm curious what they have planned for earth too. Finger's crossed :D