test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Original Character Question

If I where to create one of my own original characters from fictions and art to use as a PC for the game, would I loose my rights to it as per the agreement we had to OK in order to play?

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Everything you make in Champions, is Champions.

Anything you own outside of Champion, you own. You aren’t forfeiting your rights or the character, you are just creating an image of them which CO would own. It’s their game and their pieces.

I highly doubt however they would search you out individually of the millions of characters in game
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Everything you make in Champions, is Champions.

Anything you own outside of Champion, you own. You aren’t forfeiting your rights or the character, you are just creating an image of them which CO would own. It’s their game and their pieces.

I highly doubt however they would search you out individually of the millions of characters in game

My concern is if I ever try to publish my work, I wouldn't want to have to change it because the likeness would no longer be mine. While they are on DeviantArt, they are mine...and I'm pleased with what I created like anyone would be.

I'm looking to make ether a Venturer or Colonial Militia to go with my particle gun DPS.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I doubt CO cares or even knows what your character looks like.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I think those copyright law concerns are the other way around Catsarsto, CO, like many MMOs, are worried about people claiming that they've violated people's copyright and so cloning another company's IP is against terms of service, and if you make an original character on their game and somehow it gets famous, they need to cover their butts so you can't then say they violated your copyright by allowing a clone of your character in their game. It's highly unlikely but I suspect that's the real reason it's there. I don't think CO has a searchable database of all the characters ever made along with those bios to claim ownership on anything that appears elsewhere.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    guyhumual wrote: »
    I think those copyright law concerns are the other way around Catsarsto, CO, like many MMOs, are worried about people claiming that they've violated people's copyright and so cloning another company's IP is against terms of service, and if you make an original character on their game and somehow it gets famous, they need to cover their butts so you can't then say they violated your copyright by allowing a clone of your character in their game. It's highly unlikely but I suspect that's the real reason it's there. I don't think CO has a searchable database of all the characters ever made along with those bios to claim ownership on anything that appears elsewhere.

Only closest thing i know was the old wiki had a list of blacklisted names of popular characters.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    catstarsto wrote: »
    If I where to create one of my own original characters from fictions and art to use as a PC for the game, would I loose my rights to it as per the agreement we had to OK in order to play?
    It looks like section 12.7 does assign relevant rights to PWE (though only for the things that you actually create, store, etc, in CO -- stuff you did out of game that isn't derivative of the in-game part is unaffected).

The purpose of clauses like this is generally to permit the game company to show your character to other players, both in game and in promotional materials (e.g. the costume contest livestreams), and they're written ridiculously broadly because that's the easiest option. It's pretty unlikely to be enforced (and might be unenforceable), but safest option is to avoid creating your original characters in game.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    It's not ego don't get me wrong, I know the market's fickle and it's always one in a million shot that something ever takes off in popularity, it's just how the new Enterprise ship was handled that made me stop and think of having to change it's appearance slightly and it lost it's original appealing design the creator choose for it that made me ask before I dared to do so.

The GM I originally asked quoted the legal agreement to me so I'll just let it be and continue to use what I have.