test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Super Edgy OC Costume Contest

Comments

• ravynfallenstarravynfallenstar Posts: 43 Arc User
    You might want to include in the contest posting what "OC" means... I'm guessing there's some people out there who aren't aware of what an original character is. (And in case anyone is thinking it, no this isn't sarcasm)

On another note, you might also want to clarify on the color limit. Are shades of colors allowed? For instance, black (darker to lighter shades of grey) and blue (sky blue to a darker indigo)?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

Wait a minute.... Is blackredder same as edgy?

Should i also switch my @name to xXdarkdemoneliteprokiller666Xx?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • archangulusarchangulus Posts: 5 Arc User
    YET ANOTHER COSTUME CONTEST ONLY CATERING FOR THOSE IN THE US OR WITH NO WORK THE FOLLOWING DAY IN THE UK
    Oh I also for to ask (about colors), does skin tone/eye and hair count as a color? What about aura color?
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Black isn't a colour it's a shade

Thank you for giving us a week's notice this time.
    Post edited by guyhumual on
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    You might want to include in the contest posting what "OC" means... I'm guessing there's some people out there who aren't aware of what an original character is. (And in case anyone is thinking it, no this isn't sarcasm)

I have no clue what OC means... I know there was a TV show, but still do not see a connection.

(I won't participate, since I'm in Italy, but the blackredder title is supercool :D)

• hixtomhixtom Posts: 6 Arc User
    "There are two new rules for this contest:

You may only use two colors.

One of those colors must be black."
    -- the AD for the CC.

And your example picture is disqualified. You have Black, Red, Gray (skulls), and White (skin). If skin, hair, eyes, horns, teeth, and other things do not count towards the color limit, please let us know.

Before you come up with a CC theme, please, unless it is one that is part of the usual categories (tights, tech, mystic, scary, steam punk, etc), bounce these ideas off of some people. Ideally, you bounce these ideas off of people that play the game and attend and host costume contests.

Also, if people have to keep asking about "OC" you may want to rethink this. I went to the OC disambiguation page for wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC. Is this supposed to be "Original Creation?" Why would our original creation be edgy? Just because YOU might have been inspired by edgy artistry coupled with craptastic story telling doesn't mean the rest of us were.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    hixtom wrote: »
    Also, if people have to keep asking about "OC" you may want to rethink this. I went to the OC disambiguation page for wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC. Is this supposed to be "Original Creation?" Why would our original creation be edgy?
    Because you made it for the costume contest, and the theme called for it to be edgy?
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I don't know whether to call someone as a boomer or a zoomer for not understanding "OC", or "Edgy OC", plus the hint given on the title "Donut Steel". These are scary times.

One thing is constant though, someone will always come up and say black isn't a color.

Also why are we looking Wikipedia and not Google? 'Edgy OC' on google images is very spot on, so it's not that obscure of a 'reference'. I suppose, even better, use Wikipedia or whatever to know what the term "OC" stands for, then google for images and then you completely understand what's going on.

Plus the various clues in text that it's the most terrifying CC we'll have.
    lunnylunny wrote: »
    I don't know whether to call someone as a boomer or a zoomer for not understanding "OC", or "Edgy OC", plus the hint given on the title "Donut Steel". These are scary times.

One thing is constant though, someone will always come up and say black isn't a color.

Also why are we looking Wikipedia and not Google? 'Edgy OC' on google images is very spot on, so it's not that obscure of a 'reference'. I suppose, even better, use Wikipedia or whatever to know what the term "OC" stands for, then google for images and then you completely understand what's going on.

Thanks for posting this... I guess my age is showing cuz I was way off. I'd honestly never heard of "edgy oc" and I'm in the comic biz. Apparently the revs want another comical/meme themed CC *yawn*
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    They want edgy and dark lord...it’s not a crazy concept.

They had a butts CC....why is this shocking to you? Dev CC usually are quirky and out of the box.

Which isn’t a bad thing at all
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

I did the image search and... i'm not sure if i should be making a MLP OC in black and really dark grey, or some kind of black/red cat person. xD

I did the image search and... i'm not sure if i should be making a MLP OC in black and really dark grey, or some kind of black/red cat person. xD

The answer is Yes.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Good lord. . . Black and Redders... Edgelords
    This will be painful and eye-damaging CC to watch
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Wait a minute.... Is blackredder same as edgy?
    Always has been
    48mqsj.jpg​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    It would really help if the devs would clarify what is meant by 'color'. "Color" is not a useful term - useful terms are 'hue', 'saturation', and 'lightness'. (These are all spectrums rather than discrete things, although the game actually has discrete choices).

For example, using the upper part of the champions color pallet, going horizontally generally changes hue. Going vertically predominantly changes lightness or saturation (sometimes one, sometimes the other,sometimes both).
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    It would really help if the devs would clarify what is meant by 'color'. "Color" is not a useful term - useful terms are 'hue', 'saturation', and 'lightness'. (These are all spectrums rather than discrete things, although the game actually has discrete choices).

For example, using the upper part of the champions color pallet, going horizontally generally changes hue. Going vertically predominantly changes lightness or saturation (sometimes one, sometimes the other,sometimes both).

And let us not forget same color can look different on a cotume piece then on another, so how will someone check if it is really two colors. Due different material letting some colours make it look different.
    You guys are REALLY overthinking this
  • ragnakingragnaking Posts: 73 Arc User
    You know all those people you see that are like darkest black and brightest red but then maybe wings, horns, lots of auras, flashy effects, etc. all over them? I think those are what the dev are looking for.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User

Red is a color. Black is a color. White is a color. Purple is a color.

Shades are within colors. You're really thinking way too hard about this.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Red is a color. Black is a shade. White is a shade. Purple is a color.

Fixed that for you
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Red is a color. Black is a color. White is a color. Purple is a color.

As far as CO is concerned, black is not a color. That's why we can't have black or white powers -- we're only allowed to change hue, not saturation.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,077 Cryptic Developer
    Skin color is fine, I don't think the judges will care about different shades and tints but it doesn't quite fit in with the style of the contest.​​
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    This theme might be funny if blackredders didn't infest this game like a proverbial plague, afflicting the eyes of onlookers, and making minds reel with bios about being all-powerful dark beings of angst. Might as well make an overly-sexualized humanoid animal theme for the next one.
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    Clearly costume contests don't care about people that can't attend due it falling on a bad day.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    edited October 2020
    Every day is a bad day...that’s why this is such a dark and edgy CC!

Let the gloom and doom begin!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    vonqball wrote: »
    This theme might be funny if blackredders didn't infest this game like a proverbial plague, afflicting the eyes of onlookers, and making minds reel with bios about being all-powerful dark beings of angst. Might as well make an overly-sexualized humanoid animal theme for the next one.
    Black and Redders edgelords created for Angst and shameless horny waifus OCs created for Wanks?
    No thanks, I already skipped watching the anniversary livesteam which was all over the place and gonna skip this one, just going there for the 1 DEV Token at the very end :grimace:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,077 Cryptic Developer
    Rewards have been sent out. They can be found in the inventory of the character you participated on.​​