test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Ricochet Throw an AOE?

dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
It says it's a Ranged Damage Attack, and a Blast. It's not listed in Ranged Area Attacks, and it doesn't say AOE, but it's charge turns it from a single attack to an AOE for up to 5 targets. So would this consider it an AOE, and does it benefit from AOE damage buffs?

Comments

• h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    for the purposes of spec tree stuff, its a single target that hits multiple times. it will not benefit from aoe specs.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    It's prob not intended to be this way, but currently the main target of RThrow seems to be considered an AoE tag for it, while any chained targets are probably flagged as single-target. You can tell by testing AoE specs like Round Em Up and Locus w/ it. They can proc even when hitting just one target w/ taps of RT, but chained 2ndary targets don't get hit by Round Em Up's debuff when RT is charged (only the main target does, afaik).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    h4forums wrote: »
    for the purposes of spec tree stuff, its a single target that hits multiple times. it will not benefit from aoe specs.

Well, it does NOT benefit from single target specs (tested Conservation, since i was screwing around with the Overseer tree).

flowcyto has evidence it ... sort of... benefits from AoE attack specs.

That combination leaves room that on-hit specs (ie, increased critical from vindicator) for single target attacks *might* work on bounces (but not the first hit - and you should probably try to test that), anything which needs to affect the power as a whole (decreased cost) isn't going to work.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    It's prob not intended to be this way, but currently the main target of RThrow seems to be considered an AoE tag for it, while any chained targets are probably flagged as single-target. You can tell by testing AoE specs like Round Em Up and Locus w/ it. They can proc even when hitting just one target w/ taps of RT, but chained 2ndary targets don't get hit by Round Em Up's debuff when RT is charged (only the main target does, afaik).
    That probably doesn't have to do with the type of tag at all, just that it's a secondary effect.
  • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    Huh, my mistake. I remember testing with chain lightning and figured ricochet throw was the same.
    edited October 2020
    Just to further look into the weirdness w/ RThrow, I also tested the reworked Surprise Attack. SA doesn't give you a visual buff atm, but it does change the crit chance on the char sheet for the duration. SA does proc on Chain Lit (tapped or charged) w/ the regen dummies, but it doesn't work w/ RT (tapped or charged).
    That probably doesn't have to do with the type of tag at all, just that it's a secondary effect.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean w/ this distinction. Do you mean that, since the arcs/chains are derived from the main attack, the chained targets just wouldn't be affected, either way? Cause I could see that being the case as well.

RT procing AoE stuff when its tapped is still a bit weird, but if it's not a bug then I guess that could be due to how the power has to determine the extent of chaining based on charge time, while Chain Lit's Arc is its own mechanic that's also in other Elec powers.

edit: Testing Celestial Conduit (w/ Illum) and Throwing Blades, and they are like Chain Lit in not procing AoE specs (but are procing SA on the char sheet), while Rimefire Burst is procing AoE specs even w/o the AoE dmg proc (but if the AoE dmg proc does work, the 2ndary targets aren't affected by Round Em Up- ala RT). I'm still unsure what the intention is w/ regards to AoE vs. single-target specs w/ powers like these, and it's def confusing to me, but I guess it's just down to a case-by-case basis.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'm not quite sure what you mean w/ this distinction. Do you mean that, since the arcs/chains are derived from the main attack, the chained targets just wouldn't be affected, either way? Cause I could see that being the case as well.
    Yeah, most of the time on hit effects only occur for the primary strike of a power.
    Yeah, most of the time on hit effects only occur for the primary strike of a power.
    Alright, that does explain some of odd the testing results I've seen. Thanks for the info 8)