test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

quantifying the bonus effect of stars

h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
edited September 2020 in Power Discussion
A number of players have been arguing that the 15% damage bonus from having 5 stars is significant enough to wait for revive. I have decided to do some testing and obtain hard data to show this is not the case. Since I am lazy and do not want to parse actual dps, instead I will simply compare tooltip damage at 0, 2, and 5 stars. I made a PTS melee dps build to have a large tooltip number, to help make the difference easier to see.
Power : Meltdown (1169 dmg with no gear or superstat)
Build : Str(+69%)/Dex/Rec, Superstats (+78%), Enrage (+26% per stack), Unstoppable (+131%), Offense (+16%), Melee DPS Role(+25%)

0 stars, 0 form stacks (baseline) = 8885 damage
0 stars, 8 form stacks (+0% bonus) = 10678 damage
2 stars, 8 form stacks (+6% bonus) = 10721 damage
5 stars, 8 form stacks (+15% bonus) = 10783 damage
Post edited by h4forums on

Comments

• h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    (had to split post due to forum bug)
    To calculate the effect of "15% bonus" compared to 0%:
    (10783-10678)/10678 = .00983
    We can round this up to be 1% actual effect

Most veterans will be unsurprised to see how little of an effect stars actually have, due to diminishing returns from multiple damage increasing bonuses. In actual practice, the raw difference should be slightly higher, but the percentage is likely lower as enemy debuffs and party buffs take effect.

https://imgur.com/a/wJDbwQq
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Yea, the result is not too surprising if you know about the dmg DR, but it's good info to have out there regardless.

(also, if you're having issues w/ that forum bug- when editing, try holding 'Down' until you get to the end of your post's text, then pressing 'Enter' a good few times to create some white space, and then deleting the spaces until the posting buttons on the bottom show up again. You can also reload the page after posting to fix any remaining display issues.)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    In fairness, 1% is comparable to what a lot of fairly optimized dps are squeezing out of their offense core slots (DUC aside).
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In fairness, 1% is comparable to what a lot of fairly optimized dps are squeezing out of their offense core slots (DUC aside).
    The key thing is, in a 5 minute fight, it's worth 3 seconds of DPSing. The main thing being ressed saves you is the time to run back from respawn (never timed it, my best guess is in the 20s range for kiga and dino, a bit less for ape).