test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Troll Problem

As of late in Champions Online I've noticed a major and glaring flaw in the way that people can interact with others in this game.

All it takes is one intentional idiot or one confused individual to screw up a Cosmic fight. One out of like 20-30 people present is all it needs to ruin or screw up a fight. Lately I've been noticing that more and more people have been reporting issues about an individual intentionally trying to start a cosmic fight early in the anniversary event, or trying to drag a cosmic into a gathering area to get everyone killed, or intentionally doing mechanics incorrectly to forcibly prolong the fight until people give up and leave.

I've been in a few of these incidents where this individual was causing a normally only 5-15 minute fight take up to 3 hours because he keeps breaking CC on the Hearts at Qwyjibo, or put on tanking gear and hugs the DPS pile to rip off aggro on Teleiosaurus in order to try and kill all of the DPS and healers in order to force a wipe just because he thinks it's amusing or funny or whatever else.

Comments

• Options
    tehleriontehlerion Posts: 2 Arc User
    People have mass-reported this individual numerous times but he always comes back. With the same setup, the same gear, the same mindset and just does it over again because he is only here on this game to harass people, grief people, or antagonize the end-game playerbase.

So my question is, Cryptic, what are you going to do about it when you have individuals like these intentionally trying to antagonize others simply for their own amusement? Because if the answer is 'nothing' then do not expect players to remain in your game when they grow fed up with it and decide to go and play something else, elsewhere.
  • Options
    akraznax#0650 akraznax Posts: 4 Arc User
    tehlerion wrote: »
    People have mass-reported this individual numerous times but he always comes back. With the same setup, the same gear, the same mindset and just does it over again because he is only here on this game to harass people, grief people, or antagonize the end-game playerbase.

So my question is, Cryptic, what are you going to do about it when you have individuals like these intentionally trying to antagonize others simply for their own amusement? Because if the answer is 'nothing' then do not expect players to remain in your game when they grow fed up with it and decide to go and play something else, elsewhere.

You want to call someone a troll, because of their actions, and while i may not disagree with you on that, you also have to claim to know the intentions and gear setup of someone doing this to say it for sure, versus someone not knowing what they are doing, and, or making mistakes. Other wise you want to ban players for performance. Are we going to start reporting players that don't hit a tomb at kiga, letting the group wipe and call that trolling? Are we going to start reporting tanks for not being able to hold agro and letting cosmics wipe out support and dps? Are we going to start reporting people in the dps pile at dino that can't clear 2k damage per second and are trolling the group by making damage checks miss?

All are things that could be trolled by players intentionally, or could just be bad performance on the part of the players. Unless someone is saying they are doing such, unless you know what gear they have on when they are playing, unless you can some how know what someone is thinking at the time, banning players for what you see as trolling, when they can claim ignorance, or bad performance issues, or what have you, is making more issues then it solves.

Perhaps instead of blaming players for this issue, we should instead look at the underling cause, cosmics that can be halted from completion because of the actions of one player sound like a design flaw. Changing them from zone wide events into instanced content seems like it would solve these issues for the most part. Set them up like the rampages, let it queue 10-30 people, have them scale like normal, and allow private queues.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I agree that a single person being able to derail an entire OM is bad design. However, most of the OMs in this game are like that.

The individual (I believe) the OP is referring to is a veteran player and a notorious troll. And I've seen him troll a couple different OMs in the last week or so. Once on an OV trying to disrupt the mechanon fight. Once in tank role at dino, standing in the dps stack, geared with high-level confronts.

It's pretty damn obvious he's there to troll.
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    It's understandable how it can be difficult to discern a new player that doesn't know the mechanics but, in this case, we're talking about an expert level veteran. Despite the tells in game, they can't possibly be ignorant of the mechanics.

I don't have any interaction or history with the individual but I thought they had great tank characters on the same account that used to tank Cosmics frequently back in the day. Maybe I'm thinking of two different accounts but, if it is the same account, it feels like two separate people depending on the character that's logged in. It's sad that trolling is the way they get their enjoyment from the game.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Someone not knowing the mechanics of a fight is easy to fix, even mid-fight, if the player looks at chat and understands English. E.g. someone repeatedly yelling in chat "DON'T HIT THE CRYSTALS/HEARTS/COURAGE-FORTITUDE-TENACITY" should get most any reasonable, aware and English speaking player clued in to how they are screwing things up. Sure, occasionally people miss attacking a tomb, and a dino sometimes fails because the dps is not good enough, but those are unintentional and willing players can learn to do better. Someone purposefully hitting dogs, hearts or being a tank with high aggro gear in with the dps anywhere is just a bad apple and shouldn't be allowed to play. Does it even constitute a breach of ToS?

Personally, I'd prefer to see GMs do the job they are paid to do and ban trolls rather than have more instanced activities.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I think the larger problem is, fights like Qwyjibo and Kiga are designed to heavily encourage or require CC, and while this is a nice way to include the fourth role in endgame, it's naturally a very trollable mechanic, since hitting anything under control effects will break that hold.

There will always be trolls. Punishing them is not going to stop more from trying. The best way to resolve this problem, imo, is to address the issue of the design in the first place. Either special mechanics should be in place to prevent CC'd hearts and dogs from being woken up intentionally, or the CC process needs to be redesigned to address this issue. Unless these steps are taken, these fights will always suffer from the occasional troll.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    This is really a GM issue; the player being discussed has been banned multiple times and returned.
  • Options
    How does a player get unbanned? Are the bans temporary, or does the person just start a new account and start with the bad behavior again?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options

I would never argue that who we are talking about is not a troll, but us, as players saying that versus cryptic keeping a paying customer away from the game due to game play disruption complaints are two different things, look again at this argument you made Jaaz.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Sure, occasionally people miss attacking a tomb, and a dino sometimes fails because the dps is not good enough, but those are unintentional and willing players can learn to do better. Someone purposefully hitting dogs, hearts or being a tank with high aggro gear in with the dps anywhere is just a bad apple and shouldn't be allowed to play. Does it even constitute a breach of ToS?

Personally, I'd prefer to see GMs do the job they are paid to do and ban trolls rather than have more instanced activities.

You want to say you know peoples intent without them saying a word of it, but lets talk about dino failing because dps isn't good enough, I've seen plenty of people argue that they can build however they want, and if their theme means they don't do high dps so be it, and yes I agree, except when those same people intentionally bring those characters to dino. If they know they have low dps, and they know that there is a dps check, are they not coming to intentionally fail those checks? If we are to say that the efforts of a troll in this game is to waste other's time, then wouldn't bringing low dps to dino be trolling? You can argue that other players can off set that low dps, but other players can off set a high geared tank in the dps pile, or somebody hitting dogs, or hearts, it's not easy, or efficient, but we've done it enough times.

I do agree that we need in game GM's for this. (no don't report people at dino for low dps I'm just saying we don't know what somebody else's intent might be, no matter how well we want to think of the majority of the players.)
  • Options
    ericrightshow82ericrightshow82 Posts: 582 Arc User

I would never argue that who we are talking about is not a troll, but us, as players saying that versus cryptic keeping a paying customer away from the game due to game play disruption complaints are two different things, look again at this argument you made Jaaz.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Sure, occasionally people miss attacking a tomb, and a dino sometimes fails because the dps is not good enough, but those are unintentional and willing players can learn to do better. Someone purposefully hitting dogs, hearts or being a tank with high aggro gear in with the dps anywhere is just a bad apple and shouldn't be allowed to play. Does it even constitute a breach of ToS?

You want to say you know peoples intent without them saying a word of it, but lets talk about dino failing because dps isn't good enough, I've seen plenty of people argue that they can build however they want, and if their theme means they don't do high dps so be it, and yes I agree, except when those same people intentionally bring those characters to dino. If they know they have low dps, and they know that there is a dps check, are they not coming to intentionally fail those checks? If we are to say that the efforts of a troll in this game is to waste other's time, then wouldn't bringing low dps to dino be trolling? You can argue that other players can off set that low dps, but other players can off set a high geared tank in the dps pile, or somebody hitting dogs, or hearts, it's not easy, or efficient, but we've done it enough times.

I do agree that we need in game GM's for this. (no don't report people at dino for low dps I'm just saying we don't know what somebody else's intent might be, no matter how well we want to think of the majority of the players.)

This is a false equivalency. Players playing the game as they want to with sub-optimal builds, versus deliberately ruining the experience of other players are two entirely different matters. In the case of Dino, I think these guys are hoping to be carried, not intentionally tanking the OM. Not that I encourage that type of play, but it's a far cry from one player making the entire end game unplayable, simply because they get off from being hated.
  • Options
    It's pretty easy to tell when someone is deliberately hitting hearts, dogs or is a tank in with the dps after repeated warnings. Those are real no-brainers.

Speaking only for myself, I seldom see any cosmics completely fail for any of the reasons mentioned. In the end, enough people wake up and attack tombs, or enough higher end dps show up for dino. It may take a little while, but they usually complete. If I've seen even a dozen cosmics fail, out of the thousands I've done, from inadequate player contributions (i.e. those "theme builds"), I'd be surprised. I've seen more fail because of real trolling. Heck, sometimes cosmics take a long while to complete because no one is will to bring a cc for kiga or ape, or a 2nd tank can't be found for dino.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options

This is a false equivalency. Players playing the game as they want to with sub-optimal builds, versus deliberately ruining the experience of other players are two entirely different matters. In the case of Dino, I think these guys are hoping to be carried, not intentionally tanking the OM. Not that I encourage that type of play, but it's a far cry from one player making the entire end game unplayable, simply because they get off from being hated.

You "think, these guys are hoping to be carried..." that is the point of the argument, you do not know their intent. We can guess, i would hazard a guess that in most cases you are 100 percent on the nose, but that's just me guessing, like you, i do not know their intent in the matter, I've seen the results though, and it can feel like being trolled during that fight, no matter the intent.

• Options

You "think, these guys are hoping to be carried..." that is the point of the argument, you do not know their intent. We can guess, i would hazard a guess that in most cases you are 100 percent on the nose, but that's just me guessing, like you, i do not know their intent in the matter, I've seen the results though, and it can feel like being trolled during that fight, no matter the intent.

I've been in those situations and they can be a real bummer. But I'm not going to fault players who are genuinely trying their best.
  • Options
    panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    Well there definitely ARE trolls at cosmics sometimes. Those are the ones who repeatedly hit hearts and refuse to listen to call-outs after repeated efforts to correct them.

People with "sub-optimal" builds are not trolls (unless their pets are hitting things when they shouldn't be.) Even low dps builds can be carried, and yes even at Dino. It's not always helpful, but it's not trolling, and that's honestly fine.

What isn't fine is people going against instruction and suggestion, and actively doing things that disrupt the fight as a whole. That is what should be defined as a troll in this case.
  • Options
    You do not know other people's intent. so you don't know if that is a person trying their best with a sub-opt build, or if that is a troll that has a hybrid ebon build that's giving a 1.5 percent buff with int ss, while taking up buff spaces on shred. because they want to see people cry in zone about not passing checks. I will say it again since people seem to not read it. You, do not know what someone else's intent is.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You do not know other people's intent.
    There is a difference between speculating about a new player, and looking at the behavior of someone who has been playing for many years and has a well established record.
  • Options
    You do not know other people's intent. so you don't know if that is a person trying their best with a sub-opt build, or if that is a troll that has a hybrid ebon build that's giving a 1.5 percent buff with int ss, while taking up buff spaces on shred. because they want to see people cry in zone about not passing checks. I will say it again since people seem to not read it. You, do not know what someone else's intent is.

You're now just distracting from the issue. The troll in question is a veteran player who you can plainly see do things like turn cosmics towards the dps pile, attacking hearts, dogs, etc. Anyone can see this player's intent, and they need the ban hammer.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    This is really a GM issue; the player being discussed has been banned multiple times and returned.

This is the heart of the problem. The issue of a player trolling to this extent will come up now and again. The onus is on Cryptic/PW to actually do something about it. They have had numerous reports about this recent antisocial and childish behaviour by this player. If they value the player base then they need to show it.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    That's not how this feels at all to me (and I emphasize "to me"). My best guess (that lovely word) is that the person with the suboptimum build is still hoping to come away from dino with the mission reward; i.e., that they are not there deliberately trying to sabotage the run because they actually want what the mission offers. A troll is not interested in the mission reward; that person wants to make life miserable for other players. No, we can't read peoples' minds, but the nature of a player's behavior (e.g. at dino suboptimum build vs. high aggro tank standing with the dps) is a pretty good indicator of intent.
    JwLmWoa.png
This discussion has been closed.