test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iced Dual Blades

Heyo!

So now that I have touched up on my Might build and converted it into a minor Ice/Might build, I'm wanting to keep with the Trend and start an brand new build that adds Ice and Dual Blades to the mix, it will be somewhat follow the same path as the pervoius build did, but without the "Tanking". This build hopefully aims to be more of the DPS side. Once more this is the same running thame of adding Stasis for my OC.

So the build so far I have is this:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
v3.43:35

Super Stats
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Unleashed (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
Level 9: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 12: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
Level 15: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Ice Shards (Ice Impaler)
Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Crashing Crescendo)
Level 6: Shatter (Rank 2, Crushed Ice)
Level 8: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ice Shield (Rank 2, Frigid Air)
Level 14: Strike Down
Level 17: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Dragon Rush)
Level 20: Form of the Tempest
Level 23: Wall of Ice (Rank 2)
Level 26: Ice Sheath (Supercooled)
Level 29: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics
Level 35:

Specializations
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (1/2)
Brawler: The Glory of Battle (3/3)
Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
Brawler: Setup (2/2)
Brawler: Offensive Expertise (1/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Devices[]

I've picked mostly Ice here as you can tell, but I've left out 3 powers for hopefully more blade powers (Never touched them, outside their rework) So I am a little rusty with picking the powers, I added an Adv in my EU as I am more thinking a high Cirt build is ideal?.

Hance why I have gone for the Form-of-the-Temp to help with that, while my passive stays true to Ice, I am thinking perhaps Sword Cyclone and something else to assist, maybe Icicle Spear?. I went with Resruge, as that feels quite strong, but I can always go for another AD, that is stronger.

Let me kown what needs to be changed, Oh and I also messed around with the Specs/Talents myself this time around, first time me doing this (I think...) and picked what seems best (I probably did a bad job tho :anguished: )

Ofc, all is subject to change to make the build better. (On that Note: The melee type I am useing is an Engrey Dagger, made it glow like ice, as I do not think there is a pure ice like blade weapon)

Psi

Psi.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Ice Form won't boost any Dual Blade powers that you take. Since there is no explicit Slashing + Cold dmg passive, you'll have to settle on something universal like NW again if you want to boost all dmg types here. I also would prob pass on Shatter here (its main use as a Tank is the wide Challenge tag) and maybe just get something like Frost Breath or Avalanche if you want a normal Ice AoE.

You're also missing an energy unlock atm (note that 'EU' in CO means 'energy unlock', and not your energy builder, which you also shouldn't rank up here); maybe get Icy Embrace if you want to use Ice Wall to help proc it (and also prob get End SS). You'll also want to max Expose Weakness in Dex PSS. Here's an edit of the build:
    (Also, somewhat unrelated, but you seem to keep misspelling the word 'theme' as "thame" in your posts)

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Form of the Tempest
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Frost Breath (Rank 2, Frost Bite)
    Level 14: Icy Embrace
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Wall of Ice (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Dragon's Wrath (Tiger's Courage, Dragon Rush)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Strike Down
    Level 35: Ice Sheath (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)

Uses Blade Tempest as a basic melee cleave attack and to put up Shredded, while charged DW is your main single-target attack, and Ice Wall can be used for the Ice theme and to proc Icy Embrace. You can AoE either at ranged w/ Frost Breath or in melee w/ EotS and/or Blade Tempest (and you can also turtle w/ EotS's dmg shield by fully channeling it). Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Maybe Ice Burst (Freeze, Dirtbag) in place of Wall of Ice? Funny thing, with a high Dex I often find that Eye of the Storm gives a much quicker and higher amount of energy than a Rush adv. May be worth playing with that.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Yea, I guess you could use Ice Burst, though it doesn't innately Chill for Icy Embrace, its cd is kinda long, and it can scatter KB trash. Wall of Ice was already in the original build, and it's decent enough to proc the EU with (and also pairs pretty nicely w/ Ice Sheath), so I just kept it in for the concept.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Ice Form won't boost any Dual Blade powers that you take. Since there is no explicit Slashing + Cold dmg passive, you'll have to settle on something universal like NW again if you want to boost all dmg types here. I also would prob pass on Shatter here (its main use as a Tank is the wide Challenge tag) and maybe just get something like Frost Breath or Avalanche if you want a normal Ice AoE.

You're also missing an energy unlock atm (note that 'EU' in CO means 'energy unlock', and not your energy builder, which you also shouldn't rank up here); maybe get Icy Embrace if you want to use Ice Wall to help proc it (and also prob get End SS). You'll also want to max Expose Weakness in Dex PSS. Here's an edit of the build:
    (Also, somewhat unrelated, but you seem to keep misspelling the word 'theme' as "thame" in your posts)

Uses Blade Tempest as a basic melee cleave attack and to put up Shredded, while charged DW is your main single-target attack, and Ice Wall can be used for the Ice theme and to proc Icy Embrace. You can AoE either at ranged w/ Frost Breath or in melee w/ EotS and/or Blade Tempest (and you can also turtle w/ EotS's dmg shield by fully channeling it). Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End.

I see, it's a shame that there is no explicit Slashing/Cold passive, but I will settled with any type of universal one, besides NW is there any others I can pick from? (Just wondering, I kown I can remove the 2 extra powers it comes with).As for EU and EB, yeah I get confused on them :s

For the rest of the build looks great, I'll toy around with it and see what I can do.

And yes, for some strange reason theme gets corrected to "thame", Goggle Chrome for you.

Edit: Question, but what does Fractal Aegis do excaly?, I only used it once or twice and adds ring of ice around you
    Post edited by circleofpsi#4619 on
    Psi.
    edited September 2020
    Fractal deals minor dmg to enemies nearby you in a pretty wide radius, knocks them up, and gives you a small mitigation boost for 20sec. I'd maybe consider taking it for a cheap tanking/threat Ult w/ it's 1-pt threat adv, but not for a dps.

As for dps passives other than NW: Quarry is semi-universal, but it doesn't boost Non-physical dmg (in this case, Cold dmg) as well as it does for Physical dmg, and is best w/ some Int (which isn't a key stat in this build). The basic melee dps passives (Unstoppable and WotW) can also boost all non-melee dmg, so to a degree they are also universal, but the non-melee boost is considerably smaller. AoED is also a universal dmg passive, but is a Support one, so only Hybrids and Supports can use it (and it's generally best left for Supports w/ high-Pres to boost allies and/or pets with).
    So, what Flow is saying, is that if you are mostly using your blade powers, and only use the ice situationally, Unstoppable and WotW might be the way to go, but if you are using Ice and Blades about evenly then go for NW.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Thanks, will go for NW!
    Psi.
    Due to NW's added -resist and charge time reduction (for DW here) it prob won't be much different for melee dps vs. WotW/Unstopp, but if you want to use one of the latter two just cause you're tired of using NW then that's fine too :p
    edited September 2020

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 1: Ice Shards (Ice Impaler)
    Level 11: Ice Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ice Sheath (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Fractal Aegis (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations

Devices[/b

So here is the build I ended up going with, I replaced the Forst Breath with the Ult, as didn't feel the others too fitting and the small DR is quite nice too have, did think to rank it fully up, tho I had 5 adv pints extra ranks left, tho unsure if Ice Wall or anything else will be better then Rank 3 in Aegis.

Edit: I did put an Adv in my EB (Ice Imp) due to thinking it might porc well with my Tempest Forum, tho I chuold be wrong.
    Psi.
    edited September 2020
    Eh, I wouldn't put points in the EB. I'd rank up the travel powers before doing that (or maybe rank up Wall of Ice, or Ice Sheath). Fractal is more of a Tank Ult, but if you like it enough then you can keep it for the large AoE CC, I guess. You could also try Avalanche as the Ice AoE instead, if you didn't like Frost Breath.
  • flowcyto wrote: »
    Eh, I wouldn't put points in the EB. I'd rank up the travel powers before doing that (or maybe rank up Wall of Ice, or Ice Sheath). Fractal is more of a Tank Ult, but if you like it enough then you can keep it for the large AoE CC, I guess. You could also try Avalanche as the Ice AoE instead, if you didn't like Frost Breath.

Will change the EB Adv and place them into Ice-Wall and Ice Sheath then and yes, did try Avalanche was a bit chaotic tho
    Psi.
    Personally, I think you will be very disappointed by Fractal Aegis. It's main use is for a bit of defense and (w/adv) for grabbing aggro as a tank. It is terrible for damage. If you have your heart set on an Ultimate, you might try Whirlpool. Not big on spike damage, but it does decent damage every second for 16 seconds and applies Chill. It is also visually interesting.

You may not need Rush on DW. Depending how high you stack your Dex, FotT and Icy Embrace may be all you need. As I mentioned above, a tap of EotS (with FotT) can give a nice burst of energy. I would try to keep Rush as my last advantage points at all times and drop it for R2 whenever you feel you are otherwise getting enough energy. Another option would be to drop EotS and get Dragon Kick (that stun can be so nice) and put rush on that.

How about dropping R2 from Ice Sheath and getting Frigid Air on Ice Shield? Will help in applying chill.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited September 2020
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Personally, I think you will be very disappointed by Fractal Aegis. It's main use is for a bit of defense and (w/adv) for grabbing aggro as a tank. It is terrible for damage. If you have your heart set on an Ultimate, you might try Whirlpool. Not big on spike damage, but it does decent damage every second for 16 seconds and applies Chill. It is also visually interesting.

You may not need Rush on DW. Depending how high you stack your Dex, FotT and Icy Embrace may be all you need. As I mentioned above, a tap of EotS (with FotT) can give a nice burst of energy. I would try to keep Rush as my last advantage points at all times and drop it for R2 whenever you feel you are otherwise getting enough energy. Another option would be to drop EotS and get Dragon Kick (that stun can be so nice) and put rush on that.

How about dropping R2 from Ice Sheath and getting Frigid Air on Ice Shield? Will help in applying chill.

Yeah, I am not going with Aegis, it feels a bit blegh, was useing it for a Damage Reduction, but it's not as much, I'll put something else on there, I am thinking perhaps maybe Ice Cage with just its Adv, cuz it can be useful to interrupt and stop strong attacks from hitting me.

That or thinking maybe a Res or so, to help my teammates, that don't require a rank , really last power can be anything.

Edit: Placed Frigid Air and Supercooled to help with the Chill effect.

Last power I might just pick a Res for a quick spam res, so minor team support. tho I have no idea. Left that power as blank for now.
    Psi.
    Yea, adding a res is fine, if you think you can get some mileage from it. Leaving the last slot/adv open is also fine if you are still unsure and want get some more time/experience to decide later.
    edited September 2020

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 11: Ice Shield (Rank 2, Frigid Air)
    Level 35: Ice Sheath (Rank 2, Supercooled)
    Level 38: Vapor Form (Chilling Out)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations

Devices

So here is the final build

I've went with Vapor Form with the new Adv "Chilling Out" that grants a small heal on top of a Threat Wipe and Quick Getaway button. quite useful if I must say, with it being changed from a fancy Misty damage power.

Strangely enough, power lasts longer with an Adv, tho that might be just my imagination, there is another Adv for it, but it's a bit on the meh side, grants some sort of Chill Effect that protects you from small harm and grants a cold resistance, so only useful for such.

Thanks for the help peps!

P.S: The Hero-Creator doesn't reflect on the Vapor Form changes, so why you can't see it in the link, I just edited it here.
    Psi.
    Yea, the main issue w/ Vapor Form is that you can't do any other actions during it, so I usually would pass on it (unless you just wanted it as a thematic threat wipe and/or escape move, I suppose- there's some potential utility there, but it's pretty situational). But even if you don't end up liking the power, you can always train it and it's advs last, so re-training of it is relatively cheap and easy.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    There's a forum post detailing what I'm about to suggest, but I haven't searched to link it.

Don't get hung up on your passive for damage output. It's a drop in the bucket compared to what you get from your Toggle Form + SS combo.

You want Ice Form for the passive for ... reasons, then take it. I have a dual blader/ice form + ice powers w/ FotT. Works like a champ.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2020
    Hm, I guess I can get the reasoning maybe, but I'd have to see the post. Although the toggle/form can give a higher raw bonus than the slotted passive (when fully stacked), it'll usually depend on how much you can single-stack that toggle/form's stat vs. the rest of the SS's. For instance, at lower gear levels, ~300 Dex will make FotT give you +104% melee dmg (13%*8), while w/ ~580 Dex it gives you +176% (22*8). R3 WotW will scale from ~80-90% melee dmg at the lower SS end to about 120%+ at the higher end. I suspect that Cryneting doesn't get very high-end gear/stats, and the difference between the toggle/form's bonus and the slotted passive's bonus won't be as large then.

Even w/ a larger discrepancy between the toggle/from and the slotted passive, though, a 100%-120%+ dmg bonus from the passive is not what I'd call insignificant, even w/ the DR taken into account.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Flow, you give great advice for Optimized builds. No doubt there.

However, unless you are doing the revamped content that requires "optimized", I'll take "theme" or "more fun" over "optimized". And still do well enough in all content. And, I do mean ALL content. Will I be awesome in all content with "theme" or "more fun", maybe not. But I'm not trying to top the scoreboard either. I'll never have the mods and other gear for that.

I like it when you give pointers about where things help or hinder a build. That is where many need the advice.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    Sure thing, dude. It seems my reply was taken a bit personally, but it wasn't meant to be a slight against you or anyone that plays more casually or what have you. I was just trying to briefly review a claim that apparently some other poster made. Valuing 'theme' over sheer optimization is fine (in fact, most players prob don't min-max that much, or at least for most of their characters), but not every player shares the same goals, and I can only assume so much based off of what info I'm given.

That said, there's not much 'theme' to most slotted passives anymore, imo- at least not visually, after they decoupled the auras from the powers themselves. You can have Ice Form slotted and be running around w/ your toon on fire, or have Seraphim and be shrouded in darkness, etc.
    Flow, I have always assumed that your modus operandi is to give players the most optimized build possible (within the limits of the information provided; e.g. "I want a DPS SB build or I want a Darkness tank") unless the player specifies that they have a theme in mind and/or say that they don't do high end content/just play casually. I think I've see you give people hybrid DPS/Regen builds ;). I always enjoy the god mode requests; i.e. they want a high DPS, unkillable character.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Eh, I'm not really a min-maxer myself, but I usually just try to find a build that will perform decently in most content while hopefully being thematic enough. If anything, I err more on the side of caution (Con SS in dps builds, always give self-heals, an AD, and ranked block enhancer, etc). But usually it's not much work to go from 'decent' to 'ideal' for performance in a build, or instead to replace a few 'optimal' things for a stronger theme.
  • Ahh, what did my topic cause? :o

As for Vapor Form, useing it as exclay as you said, Threat Wipe and quickly getting away, was very handy in some of the missions I already did to get the Tailor quest done.

As for Ice Form, what am I missing here excaly?
    Psi.
    As for Ice Form, what am I missing here excaly?
    Well, my advice still is to use something like NW instead, and you can always just get an aura or two if you want to visually reinforce a theme (regardless of the passive you take for the build).